A Taste of Life and Love in Australia

A Taste of Life and Love in Australia

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This is a highly readable volume of Short Stories, set in modern Australia. Most tales are romantic.
The book kicks off with 'The Girl Next Door', an engaging tale of a young man's affection for his neighbour, which sadly goes amiss just as he summons the courage to ask her out. Other favourites include 'A Song for Ellie': a young man's struggle to be noticed by a singer; a...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Createspace (first published 2011)

Mark
Lovely, spare, melodic prose that simply exudes warmth, and simple, pinpoint-focussed stories, with nothing extraneous to distract from the single, clear feeling that Sharp wants to evoke -- sometimes a feeling of wistful loss, at others one of ironic, happy bemusement or unexpected contentment, at a serendipitous turn of fate. Sharp is delicately poetic yet linguistically precise, in these clear-eyed vignettes of love's intricacies found, and crafts her sentences with meticulous attention to me...more
Jeanette
A Taste of Life and Love in Australia was a great read. I read it at night when all was quite. Story after story I felt as if I was there, especially at the beautiful beach scenes. I appreciate such a book after having to endure a busy day. Margaret Sharp did an outstanding job in describing the outdoors in Australia.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
While grounded in an Australian setting with descriptions of familiar antipodean landscapes, A Taste of Life and Love explores the universal themes of love, desire and marriage.

While I think most of the tales within this collection are perhaps more properly vignettes or scenes rather than short stories, it seems a negligible distinction. Despite their brevity, Sharp neatly encapsulates each story, though there are some subtle links between scenes and characters.

Sharp writes of unrequited love,...more
Jenny Schwartz
"A Taste of Life and Love in Australia" by Margaret Lynette Sharp is a collection of gentle, heartwarming stories that quietly reflect on life.

There is an effective simplicity to Margaret’s writing that means she, as author, doesn’t get in the way of her characters connecting with readers. Lines like “…the deep, limitless blue of our summer sky” from the short story, “A Storm in Summer”, draw you into a personal experience.

I can’t put my finger on why these stories feel distinctly Australian to...more
Brenda
This book, filled with twenty-eight short stories on love, romance, marriage and happiness is a gentle and easy to-read look at life in Australia. Written from varying perspectives, each short story explores a different aspect of life, from heartbreak, and despair, to delight and compassion. The simple manner of these stories makes them so enjoyable, with the author able to engage in the satisfaction of her characters with success.

A delightfully relaxing and peaceful read.
Jake Taylor
Ms Sharp has again provided us with a group of very charming short stories. From the young man who was too shy to make his move to the older gentleman who got a second opportunity many years later. In some cases, a door is shut while other opens according to the whims of Cupid. In other cases, interest gets involved. In A Taste of Life and Love in Australia, the author includes these lines: “So you would put an inheritance ahead of me? Ahead of our marriage? Is that what you're saying?” This rem...more
Margaret Sharp

This is my favourite volume in the series, since it contains a diverse selection of engaging, human, short stories. Written to be enjoyed by young and older adults, it sheds light on various aspects of human nature and relationships.
Not all the stories end happily, but alas! this is so in real life. Nevertheless, as one reader told me, the stories contain a 'golden thread' of hope, and in many cases, the tales produce a deeper emotional response than their brevity would likely suggest.
A good re...more
Nicola McDonagh
Short stories lacking in substance

These gentle romantic short stories have an emphasis on the internal struggle for love and the right thing to do. Overall they are quite well written with some nice descriptions. 'The Sands of Love' being one of the better tales, begins with a lovely physical description that had me wanting to read on.

But, after reading several of the stories, I became less enthusiastic. Everything was just too nice and gentle, there was little in the way of any conflict or dra...more
AIA  Reviewers
A Taste of Life and Love In Australia is a series of vignette-style short stories. In one way, it's like a diamond: there are dozens of facets to life, and more importantly love lives of people all over the world, but while the book focuses on the locations and scenery of Australia, it could easily be much more universal in scope: Tales of Life and Love. Period.

The style of the prose was direct, simple, and tended towards the poetic in places. Unfortunately, there is a bit of inconsistency betwe...more
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Onisha Ellis
Onisha Ellis marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Jami
Jami marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Amany
Amany marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Eric Snowden
Eric Snowden marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Pastypunkreaderxx
Pastypunkreaderxx marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Madhu Ramalingam
Madhu Ramalingam marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Sofia Batinić
Sofia Batinić marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
My blog: WordPress: margaretlynettesharp

Margaret Lynette Sharp spent her early years in an inner city suburb of Sydney, moving with her family to a leafy, outer suburb at the age of ten.
A self-motivated student who loved to seek out information, she matriculated just before her eighteenth birthday. Her enthusiasm for literature led to further studies, with a particular focus on Short Story Writing...more
More about Margaret Lynette Sharp...
25 Stories of Life and Love in Australia Amelia's Call Encore Long and Short Australian Stories Reflections of Life and Love in Australia