January Kills Me

January Kills Me (Samantha Rialto #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  374 ratings  ·  51 reviews
USA Today Bestseller

Samantha Rialto, a recently divorced, defensively snarky middle school music teacher, has taken up surveillance photography as a way to fill the gaps in her educator’s salary. As the daughter of the former Chief of Police it seemed like a reasonable choice for a side job. That is until a particularly cold week in January when Sam finds herself entangled...more
Published May 1st 2011 (first published 2011)

Kiki
It took less than two pages and I was in love with Samantha Rialto and this book. Many times I found myself I was laughing so hard and loud my children came in just to make sure I was ok. Everyone says they find a book that they can't put down, but don't literally mean they couldn't put it down. I have to say this book I REALLY couldn't put down. I stayed up reading it and found myself in the middle of the night purchasing the second book in the series because I couldn't get enough.

Sam is a musi...more
Linda Baker
January Kills Me by Evan Katy was a real find on Kindle at a low price. Samantha Rialto, middle school music teacher, is trying to pick up some extra cash after her divorce from her abusive ex-cop husband. She decides to employ her photographic skills by following cheating husbands and providing evidence to the wives. After witnessing the murder of a client's husband and his paid "date", she finds herself in a whole lot of trouble and on the run from the killer, who now wants her dead.

Samantha i...more
Terry Crawford Palardy
If this is the first in a series of monthly murder mysteries, I'm in. The characters are well developed, the story line has enough changes to keep the reader guessing, and the language is well written. That the main character is a middle school music teacher is another hook for me. I read it in two days, and enjoyed every moment. The question now is whether I read the February book right away or whether I'll save it until early February ...
J.R.
Very sophomoric, with poor development of characters, and a potentially exciting plot ruined by too much repetitive behavior, and too much sarcasm by the characters. The ending is not to be believed, but unfortunately you have to read the entire novel to "get it". Fortunately, I only wasted two days reading this, as it is an easy read. Unfortunately, I could have spent those same two days doing something more productive.
Meaghan
What a fun read. Looking forward to the next book!
Lady Entropy
I had this book recommended to me as an alternative to Stephanie Plum. Unfortunately, while I liked the main character at first, she quickly became bothersome. I loved her issues with her ex-husband. It was heartbreaking and sad, and I just wanted to hug her. The mystery was okay, but not well crafted -- when she's trying to remember who might be upset at her, she remembers everyone BUT THE VERY OBVIOUS PERSON! She doesn't even dismiss her. She just doesn't remember until it's made obvious.

Norma...more
Heidi
Samantha Rialto, middle school music teacher, is trying to pick up some extra cash after her divorce from her abusive ex-cop husband. She has a fear of moths and tries hard to do the right thing but ends up making a mess of everything. She decides to employ her photographic skills by following cheating husbands and providing evidence to the wives. After witnessing the murder of a client's husband and his paid "date", she finds herself in a whole lot of trouble and on the run from the killer, who...more
Dierdra Byrd
I tried really hard to finish this book, but I just could not stand it any longer. The story is so beyond unbelievable it is laughable. There are so many errors in the writing, for instance in one case the author wrote tine instead of time. If it was just that one or two I could overlook it, but it happened often. Then there is the plot, no cop would let a civilian into a crime scene, touch evidence, and walk around on their own! To make matters worse the main detective keeps flirting with her,...more
Adrienne Testa
Samantha Rialto is not your typical middle school music teacher. To earn extra money, she takes surveillance photos for clients, until the night she is taking her photos and two people are killed. It causes Samantha to interact with her ex husband's partner, Ben Parker. Sparks fly between them as they try to uncover who killed an unfaithful man and his daughter. And, how Samantha is involved without knowing why. The characters are amusing and quirky. As they slowly uncover the truth about the pe...more
Minesweeper
"January Kills Me" is about a middle school music teacher whose side job involves playing a snoop. She takes pictures of husbands having affairs, people stealing old lady's paintings, the kind of thing. Several notes:

1. The protagonist was charmingly funny at the start but her clumsiness and constant hysteria wore on really quickly.

2. Sam keeps "thinking" stuff, only she isn't thinking them but rather saying them out loud each time. I can understand this happening once or twice, but, come on.

3....more
Gemma Smith
Can loan on Kindle.

This is not a good book - however I enjoyed it enough to finish it. A glass of wine helps it immensely!

The main character and her best friend have conversations similar to some of the goofy conversations I have had with my best friends - which could really make me laugh. However some of the humor got very old and repetitive. The main character, who is a little "bright shiny object" does focus a bit much on the looks of men. She also ends up working with the police to an unrea...more
Sally906
There was a lot going on in JANUARY KILLS ME, mystery, adventure, comedy, relationships and a touch of romance - but not too much as there is the ex-husband on the scene. The story was fast paced, plausible and had humor even amongst the edge of the seat stuff. Samantha is not a stupid woman but is definitely stubborn and not one to take things lying down. At great risk to life and limb, and ably supported by her ex-military best friend Maxie and her ex-husbands partner Ben Samantha solves the m...more
Susan B
Samantha Rialto isn't an intentional investigator - she's just a middle school music teacher...sort of. She takes photographs on the side for extra money and this time it leads to quite an adventure with murder in the middle of it all. Evan Katy spins a great tale and you really like Samantha. She's vulnerable, but strong without being obnoxiously in your face, like a lot of fictional women P.I.'s. There's murder, a scary ex-husband, a handsome police detective, a quirky friend and all kinds of...more
Tammy S. Runkles
Great book

this was a good read, not too intense but kept you interested. Reminded me a little of Stephanie Plum, somehow Samantha was always in the wrong place at the right time, very funny! Can't wait to read the next installment.
Rosezetta
I heard about this book from a Stephanie Plum group. I thought it was worth checking out. After the first chapter I was hooked. It took me only a day from start to end to finish the book.
I did get rather confused with the over simplified names of the characters. They all kind of just gelled together (Harry, Bob, Maxie, Doug, Susie, etc). Every time they mentioned someone other than Sam or Maxie, I had to think who the hell is this.
All and all it was a pretty good book, a lot of LOL moments. No...more
Magpie67
Absolutely a fun read! Perfect one to dive into after I re-read One for the Money. Mystery, murder, mayhem, romance and disaster! Three cheers to author Evan Katy... I can't wait to sink my teeth into A Bomb in February. Simply a pleasure to read plus this title had me giggling out loud! I loved that!
Swanbender2001
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book and the character of Sam Rialto. The author wrote her with the right amount of hilarious insights worthy of a woman in her stinky position. I loved her inner banter as she observes how sexy Ben is or the dangerous situations she is in...spot on with my inner dialogue! I look forward to leading the discussion on this one and hearing how others reacted to the story.
Heather
Very cute book! I will definitely be buying more of Katy's books. I hope Sam keeps snooping past February!

Overall, the book is a light, amusing read. It read fast. There were a lot of characters that were reasonably well developed. The plot had twists in it, so while predictable in some areas, I did get a curveball a couple of time. Evan Katy will be on my list of authors to repurchase.
Heather
Nov 03, 2011 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like amateur female sleuth and/or romantic thrillers
Another cheap/free Kindle download. Once again, consider the rating within the genre, which is the double whammy of "amateur female sleuth" and "romantic thriller". (Otherwise this would barely be a 3.)

Not as fluffy as yer typical amateur female sleuth book. I'd probably read another if it were cheap enough or lying around.

Update: couldn't live with the 4 stars, downgraded to 3.
Pamela  Goloskie
I really liked this book, and found the main character to be very well written and believable. However, the mystery itself was not wrapped up well- I found myself poking all sorts of holes in the explanations, and felt like some basic questions were never really answered.
I have already bought the sequel, so liked it enough to give the author another try.
Marcia
Actual Rating: ***1/2
There was almost too much going on in this story, but I really liked these characters and look forward to reading more in this series.

And the extra 1/2* was simply because this book was the one that finally got me out of my New Year's reading slump!
Sara
The book gets better after you get used to the flippant, catty sense of humor the main character has, a school teacher who moonlights as a photographer. There is romance thrown in for excitement, and a believable plot. It's a good book to read to pass the winter nights.
Becky
Picked this up as another el-cheapo Kindle book. Very cute book, predictable and fluffy but definitely cute and with some funny moments. The main character was funny, likeable, and realistic, which I liked, but definitely the storyline and outcome were predictable.
Rick Schmidt
Very good book. A bunch of plot twists and turns that kept me interested right until the end. It had a little bit of everything for everyone including action, mystery, love story, etc.

I would highly recommend this book to everyone interested in mysteries.
Kimberly
This was a great story. It was fun, suspensful, kept you guessing and almost completely clean. Evan slipped a few swear words in that for me detracted from the story. They are the only reason I rated it 4 stars instead of 5.
Rebecca
Loved the humor.
Denise
what a fun mystery surrounding quirky, klutzy Sam Rialto and her ex-hubands x-partner Ben Parker. Ben and Sam work their way through this whodunit and into each others arms! i loved it!!!
Danielle
I was looking for a brainless read and I found it. Only it went from enjoyable to totally far fetched. I hate groaning when I read a book, but I did it when I read this one.
L.W.
It had it's moments. I was intrigued with the plot turns...although I figured it out. Not bad overall. I will read the sequel just out of curiosity
Jeanie Jackson
I am not even sure why I enjoy these books so much but I laughed a lot. If I like the people the book must be good. I like the people (characters).
  • No Such Thing As A Secret (A Brandy Alexander Mystery #1)
  • Absolute Liability (A Southern Fraud Thriller, #1)
  • A Dozen Deadly Roses
  • Mai Tai One On (A Tiki Goddess Mystery, #1)
  • A Killing Tide
  • Diners, Dives & Dead Ends (Rose Strickland Mystery, #1)
  • Uncorked (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #7)
  • Desperate Housedogs (Pampered Pets Mystery #1)
  • Just Run
  • Loose Screw (Dusty Deals Mystery #1)
  • Command Indecision (Lexi Graves Mystery, #3)
  • Borrowed Time
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
  • Ms America and the Offing on Oahu (Beauty Queen Mystery, #1)
  • Close to Home (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #4)
  • Ugley Business (Sophie Green Mystery #2)
Evan Katy was born and raised in Southern California. True to her roots she frequently visits Disneyland with her children, loves the Dodgers, and relaxes to the sound of ocean waves. She is currently busy writing the continuing adventures of Samantha Rialto and working on her middle grade science fiction story - A Breach in the Boundary.
More about Evan Katy...
A Bomb in February A Violet March (Samantha Rialto #3) April Undercover (Samantha Rialto Mysteries)