Start by marking “The Paladin” as Want to Read:
The Paladin

The Paladin

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Published October 1st 1973 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Paladin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paladin

Ron
Enjoyable historical fiction set in the eleventh century. Shipway goes the extra league to incorporate the vocabulary and events of the period. Meticulously researched details of chivalry and warfare. His storytelling draws the reader right into the action.

Unfortunately too much study and reading of history sometimes spoils the fun of what might otherwise be an enjoyable story. In this case, the reader detects so many historical anachronisms that it is as if this is an alternate history, rather
DoctorM
Nov 12, 2012 DoctorM rated it really liked it
England at the end of the reign of William of Normandy--- the end of the eleventh century. It's an era that doesn't seem to inspire novelists. Cecilia Holland's "The Firedrake" ends in 1066; her "The Earl" begins in the 1150s. The reigns of William II and Henry I are sadly overlooked by novelists. Shipway's "The Paladin" offers up England beginning with the Conqueror's death and the reign the accession of Red William, William II. His hero is Walter Tirel, the knight who we know will one day put ...more
Jane
Nov 04, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walter Tirel, who killed William Rufus--accident? on purpose? we do not know. This novel covers his life from boyhood, as a squire, then knight until he joins with William Rufus. There is a sequel The Wolf Time which continues Walter's story, which I intend to read.. One of the best books on knights I've ever read! Author is strong in his battles, especially with cavalry. Well-written.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Jan 04, 2016 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘You’d better give some thought to your future. What are you going to do?’

This novel, by George Shipway, is a fictionalised account of the early part of Walter Tirel’s life. Walter Tirel is generally credited (or blamed) for the death of King William II (William Rufus) in the New Forest in England in 1100. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Who was Walter Tirel? Where did he come from? Little is known about the life of Walter Tirel. In this novel, young Walter of Poix grows up in Normandy at the ab
Chrisl
Oct 19, 2014 Chrisl rated it it was amazing
(Note to potential reader's : Paladin starts in 1070. It is immediately followed by Wolf Time, picking up Tirel's tale in 1090, continuing Walter's adventures until Rufus is killed in 1100. My copy contains both stories in one volume.)

Here's a googled review from Kirkus, a librarian's book selection publication :
KIRKUS REVIEW

This 11th-century knight's adventure centering on the life of one Walter Tirel -- a historical personage reputed to have killed King William (Rufus, son of the Conqueror) --
Margareth8537
Sep 15, 2013 Margareth8537 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and an interesting period. Also an interesting character to concentrate on, as he is mainly known for his part in the death of William Rufus
Tocci
Oct 01, 2015 Tocci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramblings of intrigue and medieval warfare.

I couldn't wait to read this book because of glowing reviews. Once started I couldn't wait for it to get interesting. The middle chapters were steeped in the author's attempts to introduce his knowledge of esoteric dictionary words. To name a few: entrails, metheglin, mesnie, tryos, and fustian. After a few chapters spattered with this distraction, I discerned it wasn't going to get more interesting for me... and it didn't. I guess I'm just not interest
Chris Gregory
Aug 15, 2015 Chris Gregory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding writing, intriguing!

This is the first of George Shipway's books that I've read, but I definitely look forward to his other historical fictions. This story is well developed with fully developed, multi-layered characters.

This was a horrendous period of time in our history so even the most honorable men, just as Walter Tirel had to have a ruthless side in order to survive. That duplicity helped to make this an intriguing, fast paced, and even educational novel.
Rohit Kilpadi
Sep 08, 2015 Rohit Kilpadi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, was a bit hard to get into in the beginning because of the terms used and the names of all the characters which quite often were very similar. But soon enough, the story shone through and was very interesting. Looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series by George Shipway
Deuard
Aug 18, 2015 Deuard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is interesting and the use of the terminology of the time adds flavor but I found that I had to look up the terms often. Still watching Walter grow and become enmeshed with court politics was interesting enough. .

Liz Wood
Aug 06, 2015 Liz Wood rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Walter is a strange man with a full measure of both good and bad. His training is brutal as were the times, but he clung to his honor as if it was a floating plank after a shipwreck. How bitter is the pill when innocence is what Isobel destroys.
Larry
Sep 13, 2015 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Shipway's descriptions of the castles and the life inside them. The period immediately after the Norman Conquest is often overlooked by novelists, and I find it extremely interesting. I will definitely continue with this trilogy.
Skip
Aug 16, 2015 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

A different look at the world of knighthood. Probably more realistic than most stories that I have read in the past.
Kellie Dipiro
I enjoyed the language of the book. The story was interesting, but the pace was slow and hard to follow at times.
Calenmarwen
Having an eager interest in all things William Rufus, I was glad to find and read this book.

More realistic to the time period than many, it still uses a lot of creative license and less fact than I'd have liked. The ending is better than the beginning led me to believe. But while we don't see enough of Will Rou, this book does not end with his inevitable hunting trip, that will no doubt be book two.

Good to have read, but for others looking for more Rufus, I'd recommend Flambard's Confession.
Rbjumbob
Aug 27, 2015 Rbjumbob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book lives up to its rating. Great story. It really provides the feel for the era, the brutality, harshness.
Michael Laflamme
Nov 24, 2015 Michael Laflamme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

This was one of the best stories of knighthood from my youth. I am happy to see it has passed the test of time and is still a a rousing tale. Bravo.
Chris F
I read this book decades ago and enjoyed it, but don't remember it enough to rate it.
Ellen Klempner
Chivalry could be dark and complicated
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
DAVID ONCALE
DAVID ONCALE is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2016
Mkolb
Mkolb added it
Apr 30, 2016
Michael Stewart
Michael Stewart rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Jenny
Jenny is currently reading it
Ian Mcfatridge
Ian Mcfatridge rated it really liked it
Charles Taylor
Charles Taylor rated it really liked it
Leslie Hyde
Leslie Hyde rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Peggy
Peggy added it
Apr 21, 2016
Barbara Haney
Barbara Haney marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
  • The White Cross
  • Fin Gall (The Norsemen Saga, #1)
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • Conquest (Making of England, #1)
  • At Drake's Command
  • Purling Road - The Complete Second Season: Episodes 1-10
  • The King's Spy (Thomas Hill, #1)
  • Seven Men of Gascony
  • Lionheart: A Novel of Richard I
  • The Briton and the Dane: Concordia
  • Montfort: The Early Years -  1229 to 1243 (Monfort, #1)
  • In the Company of Eagles
  • Winston S. Churchill: Road to Victory, 1941-1945
  • Son of Blood (Crusades, #1)
  • THE COUNT OF THE SAHARA: Historical fiction at its best
  • The Queen's Favourite
  • The Crusader
  • Sir Nigel and the White Company
George Shipway (1908–1982) was a British author best known for his historical novels, but he also tried his hand at political satire in his book The Chilian Club.

Shipway was born in 1908, and served in the Indian Imperial Cavalry until 1946. He died in 1982. His cavalry background served him well when he took up writing; his descriptions of cavalry battles are full of minute detail and his works g
More about George Shipway...

“but a wise man never closes all the options.” 1 likes