Start by marking “Be Your Own Editor: A Writer's Guide to Perfect Prose” as Want to Read:
Be Your Own Editor: A Writer's Guide to Perfect Prose

Be Your Own Editor: A Writer's Guide to Perfect Prose

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Are you uncertain when to use affect or effect? Loath or loathe? Compliment or complement? Do you struggle with character development, establishing realistic dialogue and composing articles, proposals or manuscripts?

Be Your Own Editor by Sigrid Macdonald offers a crash course in grammar basics, starting with punctuation and proper use of the dreaded apostrophe. It suggests
Published 2010 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Be Your Own Editor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Your Own Editor

Markus
I read too many books on writing and don't write enough. The info here is good, though some punctuation and grammar stuff I haven't heard before and rather surprised me.

But most of the info is available from other sources as well. It's nice that this was offered as a free book somewhere online. That's where I got it. And good info at that price is nothing to complain about.

Jae Jae
Some helpful tips, but nothing new to me. Plus it had a couple of errors: incorrect advise on apostrophes (the Macdonald's home) and incorrectly recommends using a comma after every conjunction. The section on commas was confusing and sometimes incorrect.
Kayla
I didn't read all of it. I was interested in the fiction writing, but I felt like there was a lot of errors... There is great advice to read on writers block though. :)
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Matt Perkins
Matt Perkins marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Jacquel
Jacquel marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Glen Bonnet
Glen Bonnet marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Dewanna L. Durbin
Dewanna L. Durbin marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Spacious Critter
Spacious Critter marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Kaye
Kaye marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Laurel
Laurel marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Kristen N. Johnson
Kristen N. Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Bufo Calvin
Bufo Calvin marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Originally from New Jersey, Sigrid Macdonald currently resides in Ottawa, Ontario. She has been a manuscript editor and freelance writer for a number of years. Her works have appeared in the Globe and Mail newspaper; The Women's Freedom Network Newsletter; the American magazine, Justice Denied; The Toastmaster, a publication of Toastmasters International; and She Magazine. Her first book, Getting ...more
More about Sigrid Macdonald...
D'Amour Road Getting Hip: Recovery From A Total Hip Replacement Straight and Narrow Getting Hip The Spirit Path