Start by marking “Dadblamed Union Army Cow” as Want to Read:
Dadblamed Union Army Cow

Dadblamed Union Army Cow

She just won’t git! A Union army soldier can’t shake his dadblamed cow in this uplifting tale based on a true story.

"THAT DADBLAMED COW!" She follows her owner into the Union army and then straight on south to fight in the war. She needs unstomped grass to eat, she gets stuck in the mud, and she’s just plain DANGEROUS in battle. But this peculiar cow also gives the weary s
Published June 12th 2007 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Dadblamed Union Army Cow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dadblamed Union Army Cow

538am_erin
Feb 17, 2014 538am_erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: civil-war-books
Based on a true story of a cow that followed the Fifty-Ninth Regiment of Indiana volunteers into battle, author Susan Fletcher tells the story of a young soldier who deals with his pesky cow in and out of the battlefield.

Throughout the story, Fletcher bases the text on those of primary resources dug up in research, of a cow, which follows their caregiver into battle, into the army hospital and eventually to return home. Although pesky at first, the cow ends up providing food, warmth and strengt
Sunday Cummins
May 19, 2016 Sunday Cummins rated it it was amazing
This would be a fun book to read aloud to elementary students studying this period of time. Students could talk in small groups about some of the bigger ideas in the book--What was the role of the cow beyond providing physical comfort and nutrition? What in the text makes you think so? What do you think is the author's message? Why do you think so? What is the role of hope in the story? There's also room to discuss how the author took primary sources (maybe even find those sources as noted at th ...more
Adam Bakken
Dec 01, 2013 Adam Bakken rated it really liked it
A cow follows her owner, a Union soldier, into the Civil War She even follows him into the recruiting office. At the start, she is a bother because she gets stuck in the mud and needs unstomped grass. But when the going gets tough, the soldiers start to see her value for everything she can give to the regiment. She fans flies away with her tail, and even lets the soldiers keep their feet warm underneath her at night.
When her owner is injured, she event follows him to the hospital where she help
Traci Bold
Jun 28, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
Tis a colorful, humorous and sweet picture book based on fact but made as fiction.

Author Susan Fletcher captured the dialect just right making for a fun read aloud book.
Illustrator Kimberly Hulcken Root brought the age of the day to life with her timely illustrations.

Published by Candlewick Press.

#Mustread #PB #history #cow #humor
Hailey White
Jan 23, 2015 Hailey White rated it did not like it
This is one awful dadblamed book. What a pity too, as it is based on a true story. The writing was horrid. The repetitive use of the word "Dadblamed" while meant to be useful and witty, was distracting. It's as if the author thought the true story needed to be dumbed down for children.
Katie
Oct 26, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
1. Genre- Historical Fiction
2. Awards- None
3. Grade Level- K-2
4. This is a very cute book about the true story of a cow that follows his owner, a Union Army soldier, into battle, refusing to leave his side. I could use this novel when discussing the Civil War in my history unit. The book is very informative of what life was like for soldiers during this time, in addition to being a fun story of a loyal cow. There are other animals that made an appearance during the civil war. As a follow up acti
Kelly Carey
Aug 12, 2014 Kelly Carey rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Fabulous historical fiction for kids -- teachers take note -- this is a wonderfully funny quirky picture book for elementary school kids that has the added bonus of civil war history and the true story of a cow in the union army! History can be fun!
MrsK Books
Apr 07, 2015 MrsK Books rated it it was amazing
My students enjoyed this historical fiction tale. It retold a piece of history that they wouldn't have known. It was a great "read aloud" introduction into our history unit.

Must have on your library shelves!
MrsK
Alex Smith
Oct 27, 2013 Alex Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: fab-40

1. Genre- Historical Fiction

2. Awards- None

3. Grade Level- 1st to 2nd

4. I would use this book in my classroom when we discussed the civil war in history class. This book can be used to show how life in the army was during that time and how even though the cow bothered the soldier, it also came in great use throughout the war. A follow-up activity I would do would be to have my students look up other stories of animals that were used in the civil war and what tasks did they do or things they prov
Renee Brown
Jan 15, 2016 Renee Brown rated it really liked it
Cute story using repetitive phrasing. Excellent pencil and watercolor illustrations complement the story.
Katey
Apr 11, 2011 Katey rated it really liked it
My view on Social Studies:
I believe that social studies is the study of humans, their interactions with each other and the world around them. As teachers, we must open the eyes of our students to the diverse cultures around us. Every individual is unique and can offer something to the world.
Summary and integration of book:
This book is a true story about a cow that marched with the Union Army during the Civil War. I like this book because it is based on a true story. It also is a fun fact about
Melissa Dwyer
Sep 16, 2015 Melissa Dwyer rated it really liked it
Originally rated G+ by David Lewandowski
DADBLAMED UNION ARMY COW: A supposedly true story of a Union cow during the Civil War. After a northerner is drafted, he finds out to his astonishment that the family cow has somehow followed him south to fight the Confederacy. The cow keeps away flies with his tail, keeps the men warm at night, and gives a never ending supply of fresh milk to the undernourished army, among other things. The text is full of silly language to keep the story light and funny
Katrina Mundt
Aug 29, 2015 Katrina Mundt rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Civil War, excellent, informative and funny
Lauren Schaffer
Oct 30, 2013 Lauren Schaffer rated it really liked it
Shelves: fab-40-file
Grade: K-2
Genre: Historical Fiction
Awards: None
I would use this story with my history class when learning of the civil war. I would read this story to my class, then I would create and activity. The activity would be a writing activity. I would get the students to practice their writing skills by having the students write a short paragraph about when they had something important they had to do, but something kept getting in the way. Then I would have the students draw a picture of what they wrot
Carolynne
Oct 23, 2008 Carolynne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Dadblamed cow follows her owner to the enlistment office and even to war, where she helps the Union soldiers by fanning flies away and letting the soldiers keep their feet warm underneath her at night. When her owner (Really Capt. Jesse Lee) is wounded she follows him right to the hospital where she helps the wounded soldiers regain their strength by giving them--what else?--milk.
Based on a true story, a nice supplement to elementary history classes.
Gail Barge
What an interesting perspective on the civil war! This would be a fun book to share with a class studying the civil war to add an interesting twist. It is actually a true story! This could be an interesting topic for students to research: animals involved in war and how they help the soldiers. I enjoyed this book and I'm sure students will find the traveling cow to be silly and entertaining.
Jackie
Nov 18, 2009 Jackie rated it liked it
As a soldier goes off to The Civil War, a cow follows him into battle. At first, the cow is just a nuisance, but as the nights get cold, and the food gets scarce, she is heralded for all the good she does for the regiment. Based on historical facts, and a cow who traveled with the Fifty-Ninth Regiment of the Indiana Volunteers.

Erica Leach
Oct 07, 2013 Erica Leach rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ch-02-ncss
The pictures in the book were wonderfully detailed. I loved the emotion in the pictures. Also the fact that this story was based on a true story is amazing. Who would ever think a cow would be in the war?
Joan
Nov 24, 2009 Joan rated it really liked it
Delightful picture book based on a true story. Great way to illustrate historical fiction in a short time frame. Author's notes at the end of the book are very good.
Kelly
Apr 04, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was surprisingly funny and charming. I enjoyed the realistic illustrations, and think children would enjoy reading about such a relatable incident of the Civil War.
Karen
Just loved it! So funny and heartwarming - it's even better because it is based on a true story! Awesome read-aloud potential.
Dale
Nov 07, 2011 Dale rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for 2 reasons.....one I am a Hoosier and the other, it is a great read-aloud for any unit on the Civil War.
Kirby
Jan 05, 2009 Kirby rated it it was amazing
How often does a nonfiction picture book make you laugh AND cry? Give this to your local school or public library!
Amanda
Jan 27, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it
A pretty well-woven piece of work with bits of humor in it.
Julie
May 01, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Touching book on the Civil War for children. Recommended by our text.
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Kellee
Kellee rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Cindy Gerwin
Cindy Gerwin marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Melissa Mcavoy
Melissa Mcavoy marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
119933
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. Please do, however, be aware that this thread is no longer kept up to date.

Susan Fletcher is the author of a popular trilogy that includes the books Dragon's Milk, Flight of the Dragon Kyn, and Sign of the Dove, as well as of several other novels for young readers.

With a me
More about Susan Fletcher...