Start by marking “Hantu Masa Lalu [Wicked Widow]” as Want to Read:
Hantu Masa Lalu [Wicked Widow]

Hantu Masa Lalu [Wicked Widow] (Vanza #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  3,020 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Madeline Reed Deveridge dijuluki Wicked Widow karena ia diduga membunuh suaminya, Renwick Deveridge, dengan kejam dua bulan setelah pernikahan mereka. Tapi bukan gosip tersebut yang membuat Madeline gelisah, melainkan "hantu" suaminya yang bangkit dari kubur dan mengancam nyawanya. Dan Madeline hanya bisa meminta bantuan dari seorang master Vanza bernama Artemas Hunt, wala ...more
Published 2011 by Dastan Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hantu Masa Lalu [Wicked Widow], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hantu Masa Lalu [Wicked Widow]

LibraryLass
This is probably the third time I have read Wicked widow and it continues to be a 5 star read for me.
Vanessa
Another enjoyable historical from Amanda Quick. This one is part of the Vanza series, similar to the Arcane Series, but with more of a philosphy, fighting skills, and other points of interest rather than the psychic angle. One of the common links between the two societies is the practice of mesmerism, which appears to be similar to present day hypnotism.

Of course, it is a romance mixed with a balance of suspense. The hero in our stories is a member of the society, and is involved in a plot of r
Mareena
Madeline Deveridge is quite aware of the epithet with which Society has marked her. They call her 'Wicked Widow' after her husband's death a year ago; convinced that Madeline shot her husband, and then set her house on fire to cover the crime. When Madeline's maid is kidnapped in front of the infamous Dream Pavilions, Madeline summons Artemas Hunt - the brilliant and reclusive master of arcane talents and secret owner of London's pleasure pavilions.

Convinced that her husband's ghost is somehow i
nurmawati

ttg seorang janda (yang masih perawan) yang di tuduh sebagai wicked widow karena baru 2 bulan menikah suami nya tewas terbunuh.....
padahal si suami ini jahat (udah jahat impoten pula wkwkwkwkw...) dan membunuh bapak si ce buat medapatkan rahasia vanza...
akhirnya si ce minta tolong (awalnya dengan cara memeras)seorang master vanza bernama artemas hunt....buat memecahkan kasus penampakan hantu suami nya....
seperti biasa khas nya amanda quick...adegan ehem2 uhuk2 nya di kereta kuda ( woohooo.....:D
Jackie
Wicked Widow by Amanda Quick is an historical romance with hints of crime and slightest foretaste of the paranormal that will arise in the Arcane Society novels. In this novel and a few others Ms. Quick has created the Vanzagarian Society, a secret society of strange knowledge, exercises, practices and language. There is not a hint of the paranormal abilities of the Arcane Society but emphasis is placed on self-control and self-knowledge as a means of maintaining order and balance in one’s life. ...more
Denise
If you like steamy romances and love historical fiction, you'll enjoy this book. The author does an excellent job of setting a scary background (fog and rain, dead bodies, underground maze and even a haunted house!). This is the first book I've read under the Amanda Quick pseudonym and it made for an entertaining story. Have ordered more titles from my local library as I'm disabled and don't get out of the house much these days so it's nice to have good books to curl up with :)
Donna
Really enjoyed this book. Madeline was a wonderfully feisty, intelligent, courageous heroine, and Artemas was certainly her equal with a bit of dark warrior added to the mix. The philosophy of Vanza and the mystery of Renwick's spirit kept the plot moving along. Looking forward to reading another in this series. Will admit that books written by Amanda Quick rarely disappoint me. May need to add this to my list of favourites.
Haki Itawafays
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Yes, the plot is identical to 99% of her other books under the Amanda Quick pseudonym, but the enjoyment comes from the accessories she hangs on the basic plot. This book passed a pleasant afternoon.
Judy
very interesting love story holds your interest all the way to the end.
Elii Vela
Bueno, nunca había leído nada de la autora, sólo espero que ésto no sea de lo se dice sus mejores novelas porque la verdad es que aunque sí me gustó, no fue todo lo que esperaba.

Se dice que Madeleine asesinó a su esposo y luego incendió su casa para cubrir todas las huellas, en el club hay incluso una apuesta en el que el hombre que pase una noche con ella y salga vivo, conseguirá una buena suma de dinero. Artemis Hunt tiene todos los recursos para saber todo sobre la dama, pero cuando una noch
Lori McD
2.5-3 stars

This book reminded me a lot of the 2nd book, but with a different couple. While Artemas and Madeline are very different people than Edison and Emma, the banter between them, the chemistry between them, and the whole employer-employee thing was much the same.

The ghost part of the story and the mystery involved was different, and that was more compelling than the relationship between Artemas and Maddie. Somehow, I didn't feel the heat between them like with Edison and Emma. Not sure why
Melissa Levine
It's funny how in the 2nd book, Ignatius Lorring had mentioned that he was the only master of Vanza in London, or something along those lines. Since they were having trouble figuring out how the young Vanza guy, John something?, where he learned his skills. But in this book, there were more masters in London than just Lorring.

If she is having bad dreams all the time at night, hence she doesn't sleep, why doesn't she actually take her Aunts tonics? Either way, if she doesn't want to take them, wh
Lizabeth Tucker
Virgin widow Madeline Reed Deveridge is maddeningly befuddled about men. Dubbed the Wicked Widow ever since she was obliged to shoot her husband, scoundrel Renwick Deveridge, in self-defense, she now seems to be haunted by Renwick's ghost. Worse, she requires an eternity to realize she loves (and is loved by) Artemis Hunt, whose help she enlists when her maid is kidnapped from the Dream Pavilions, London pleasure gardens secretly owned by Hunt. Artemis is gruff and bossy, rather than exquisitely ...more
WishfulMiss
I enjoy a good mystery every now and than, and when I do, I turn to Amanda Quick. She always has a spunky heroine and a dark and brooding hero that work together to solve a mystery. Ms. Quick always seems to deliver a perfect combination of sweet adventure, suspensful mystery and a sprinkle of romance that seems to satisfy me just fine for an easy entertaining read.

I like this one okay but some of her others are better. Rendezvous and The Paid Companion to name a few on my keeper shelf.
Red
3.5 stars (empat bintang juga bisa sih)
seorang janda yang dipercaya oleh masyarakat luas telah membunuh suaminya meminta bantuan pada seorang master Vanza untuk menemukan hantu sang suami yang telah menghantui dirinya.
---
Yah inti-se-intinya sih kayak gitu. Lumayan kok, sifat si heroine-nya rasanya fresh bagiku. Kalo hero-nya, yah, begitulah, nggak buruk-buruk amat. Nggak buruk, deng.
Teresa
Madeline is a mysterious widow and many believe that she killed her handsome husband in cold blood, inheriting a hefty fortune. Artemis is sought out for his assistance by the wicked widow, and they begin seeking out answers to a strange mystery. Madeline believes that her husband's ghost is haunting her. It's a good mystery with an interesting solution. The romance between the two main characters is interesting, too. As usual, the heroine in the Amanda Quick book is strong headed and stubborn, ...more
Stasia
Stock plotting, characters by Quick, but less personality, less charm. Very formulaic. Still good, but not as good as her best (Mistress, Deception). I find I'm not a fan of the "Vanza stories" which seem rather perfunctory.
Maria
Although I love Jayne Ann Krentz's writing, I'm not fond of the Zamar, Vanza, and extrasensory references in her historical novels (The extrasensory references in her Jayne Castle books work for me, for example), so this book, being Vanza, is less appealing than most of her other books. The main characters, Artemis Hunt and Madeline Deveridge, also lacked something, although I liked Madeline being capable of using a gun and a knife and her brains to protect herself, but I expected Madeline to ho ...more
Carolyn
It was pretty stupid. The whole Vanza device was more annoying than anything. The big plot twist near the end wasn't really a surprise. I feel very generous giving this a 2.
Kelly Larock
Smile

Lots of fun as always!!! Amanda Quick does it again.... if you enjoy any of her books you will love this one too!!!
Shirl
Quick writes historical romances and this one is good. It is fast moving and full of villains.
Dhaverma
As usual author has great characters, plot, and romance. She's so good
Jessi
Madeline Deveridge is known to the ton as the "Wicked Widow." Everyone knows that she killed her husband, even if it was ruled an accident that he died in a house fire. She doesn't go out in Society, generally, but she has come out to force Artemis Hunt to help her find her maid, a girl who was kidnapped from the pleasure gardens that are run by him (of course, a secret from the rest of the world.)
Artemis isn't too happy to be pulled into the caper. He doesn't want anything to ruin his perfectly
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is a story of Vanza by Amanda Quick. Madeline Deverage is known by Polite Society as the Wicked Widow. She is believed to have killed her husband, but no one can prove it. Artemis Hunt has had a plan of revenge for years. With the help of money from his businesses, he is a mystery to Polite Society. Madeline blackmails him into helping her find answers to her problem. The romantic side seemed to be a given, because the usual format is there. The customary twists weren’t that affective. This ...more
Talia
One that I have read some time ago, I thought it would be a fun "quick" read. Following her proven formula for the historical romance/history genre, this time the story centers around Madeline Deveridge, a widow is who being haunted by her dead husband who everyone thinks she mostly likely murdered. When the ghost gets too close for comfort, she turns to the service of Artemis Hunt, a master of Vanza and a man who has his own reasons for wanting to help her. It's a fun read if you have some spar ...more
June
This book had a bit of a mystery to it. It was the first Amanda Quick book I've read. I enjoyed the mystery to it. I'm not big into the occult, but it just kind of touched on the fringes of that.

It is speculated that Madeline killed her 1st husband, and now it looks like he is back from the dead to kill her. Madeline gets Artemis to help her get to the bottom of things. Artemis doesn't believe in ghosts, and he believes someone is impersonating Madeline's dead husband.

I really liked how Madelin
Jessica
A friend told me to read this and I've had it for almost 2 months, so I'm reading it so I can give it back. My hopes are not high for this one.
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
This was another excellent installment in the Vanza series. I enjoyed this as much as the other books, perhaps a little more, it had a mixture of romance, mystery and Vanza philosophy.

The characters in this were also very likeable, and I love the dialogue in these books, it is amusing and witty. And the mystery is good enough to keep you intrigued with out being over complicated or over simple.

All in all this is a light hearted and enjoyable read that I would recommend if you are looking for an
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Wicked Widow (2000) Book 3 1 2 Sep 27, 2012 11:07AM
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Truth or Dare (Whispering Springs, #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...
Ravished Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1) The Paid Companion Dangerous Mistress