Start by marking “Janda-Janda Gres (The Debutante Divorcee)” as Want to Read:
Janda-Janda Gres (The Debutante Divorcee)

Janda-Janda Gres (The Debutante Divorcee)

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,384 Ratings  ·  400 Reviews
Sebagai wanita yang baru menikah, Sylvie Mortimer justru terjebak dalam kelompok pergaulan janda-janda gres—sosialita, cantik memesona, ramping, dan baru kembali melajang.

Para wanita bercerai tersebut menikmati masa lajang mereka. Bahkan Lauren Blount, wanita paling glamor dalam grup itu, berniat menyelesaikan Tantangan Bermesraan: berkencan dengan lima pria berturut-turut
Published May 2011 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Janda-Janda Gres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Janda-Janda Gres

Merredith
This book was just ok. It was about a newlywed who moves to NYC with her husband, who is super rich. She meets new super rich friends, one super duper rich one in particular, and watches them waste their money. The other women are divorced, and make it seem glamorous. The main character's husband is away for work a lot, and although she does work as well (for a fashion designer), she still has time to think he may be cheating, and envy the divorced lifestyle. I know it's making fun of the upper ...more
Katy
Jan 08, 2009 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no explanation for why I enjoyed this book so much, but I sure did. It was a nice diversion from holiday stress and craziness (and scrimping and saving) to immerse myself in the book's descriptions of limitless money and socializing and traveling and man hunting. I listened to the audiobook, which I recommend, as the reader (not sure of who it was) did great accents, swapping between American and British like it was nothing.
The plot centers on Sylvie, a British woman newly married to an A
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
A finished unsolicited copy was provided by the agency for review.

I knew going into this book that it was going to have the same name dropping, brand-conscious technique that was found in the first book, so I wasn't expecting to love it. But even though I felt so annoyed when descriptions of socialites and their lives were dropped, I still liked this a little bit better than Bergdorf Blondes. This one is about marriage, trust and loyalty. Sylvie is very influenced by all of her friends who are r
Tiny Pants
Jul 16, 2009 Tiny Pants rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This had been sitting on my shelf about a year -- technically, I'd only bought it because I was in a super-cute but obviously super-desperate independent used booksellers' and felt like I had to buy something -- and of course, since I'm a finisher, I read it. It gave me two days' pool material, though in the end, what I wouldn'tve given for something else to read by the pool (and yes, I am reading something else, but my hardcover 800+ page Edith Wharton bio is too big and bulky for the pool!).

Po
Sandra Pavlović
S vremena na vrijeme nije loše pročitati neki čiklit romančić, dobro dođu za opuštanje i razbibrigu. Zaviriti malo u svijet luksuza, skupih krpica, putovanja i zabava u najvećim svjetskim metropolama. Najveći problem je tržišna prezasićenost tom vrstom proze, pa je teško odlučiti se šta odabrati za čitanje. Bilo bi interesantno da u komercijalnoj književnosti zaživi i momački lit, da čujemo i mušku stranu priče.
Stephanie
Light, fluffy, fun, listen but a little slow in the beginning. Once the middle hit and all the players were established it was very enjoyable.

This specific video review: https://youtu.be/QbdTsTP2Nn4

For other video book reviews check out my YouTube Channel Stephanie Uncensored
Carolina Gonzalez
Apr 10, 2016 Carolina Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first it was kind of slow.. then it picked up speed.. then it became funny (marriage life, some of it is true).. but the ending loved it!!!
Feb 11, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Meghan
This was a fun read, trite and predictible but fun. It was really nice to read some fluff for a change, after recently reading several heavier books. It started out kind of stupid but once I realized it was a satire and not meant to be taken seriously, and that it was actually making fun of every single character in it, I enjoyed it a whole lot more.
Cathy
Jan 17, 2010 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
(Listened to the audio version). Slow to get into but excellent. I couldn't stop listening halfway through. I had Bergdorf Blondes years ago when it first came out, so I hoped that this book would be good as well. Not disapointed and thinking about rereading BBs soon.
Kimberly Ann
I didn't get the point of this book..... I really tried to like it, and I kept reading until it was painful, but the book was not funny, the characters were shallow, and I just couldn't relate.

Let's see: there is this gal who's in some ubër-expensive Mexican resort on her honeymoon, however, her husband has left her @ the airport on business. She meets up with these two young empty-headed, glob-trotting, super-rich, divorced women. They spend their time talking about the things I imagine super-
Elizabeth
I am embarassed to say that I enjoyed this book. It was kind of cute in a spoiled-princess sort of way. Good mindless read for a vacation.
Naida
Jun 14, 2009 Naida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chic lit plain and simple. It only took me 2 hours to read it but it was a fun "beach read" Bergdorf Blondes was much better
Rizwana
A little silly, but makes you laugh...and a very quick read
can people really be this 'flaky'? I suppose they can!
Hallie Szott
This review is also posted on Book by Book.

A few weeks ago I read, reviewed and surprisingly enjoyed Plum Sykes’ Bergdorf Blondes, and now I can easily say the same for The Debutante Divorcée. I think I even enjoyed this second light, funny novel a bit more than the first (though there were still several moments when I felt incredibly frustrated with the characters). Sykes once again brilliantly transported me into the foreign-to-me world of New York society and, with an entertaining and diverse
Ellie
Bergdorf Blondes by Plum Sykes is far from my usual mystic, somewhat morbid, politic-philosophical-woman ideas self. Into those long, deep Russian novels or post-modern obscure or self-mocking tracts of novels.

I laughed out loud through Bergdorf Blondes & lost 3 layers of pretentious skin (maybe in the tanning salon the girls religiously go to or during one of the religiously followed exfoliations).

It hardly seems worth recounting the plot of BB: 2 young wealthy debutante/society New York C
Brenda
Apr 13, 2012 Brenda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I kept expecting more. I guess it was a satire of the divorcee's but it just didn't hold my attention much. There was a bit of a mystery there but the characters weren't developed much. I guess they were supposed to be very ha ha which isn't my bag. This is very much chick lit, I did win the book. I think I would rather have read the author's first book it sounded as if it got better reviews. I'm sorry I can't rate this higher but it was one of the books you could pick up and put down as you had ...more
P e t t y
Aug 15, 2011 P e t t y rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
I always got a thing for chick-lit and I never forget to check out chick-lit shelf every time I visit bookstore. So, when I saw this new-translated plum Sykes novel (well, It's been a long due, though) I have to buy it, since I really love her previous book Bergdorf Blondes.

But, OH-GOD, this book is so awful..haha.. it feels like Ms. Sykes losing her witty sides. I enjoyed her heroine as rich and spoiled princess, the wealthy society and all of those socialites life. but on Bergdorf Blondes her
Jennifer Cooper
Sep 05, 2008 Jennifer Cooper rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Eh. I liked Bergdorf Blondes well enough, but this book was not much fun. It opens with the narrator's assertion that "Married girls in New York these days put almost as much effort into losing husbands as they once did into finding them," and it just gets more depressing from there. It follows the marriages, divorces, and other social activities of a group of obscenely wealthy women living in Manhattan. Unfortunately, they're all vapid, self-absorbed, whiny, juvenile, and generally awful. The ...more
Ferne
Jul 24, 2013 Ferne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was in the bag of books that a friend loaned me to read. I read the back cover synopsis and anticipated that this title wouldn't be the favorite but I didn't realize I wouldn't even be able to read more than a few pages and with each additional sentence just wanted to stop reading. So I finished Chapter 1 but I'm done. I'm not interested in watching The Housewives of wherever...from Beverly Hills to New Jersey to Orange County to Atlanta. I don't care. And that's my attitude about this ...more
Angela
Feb 01, 2011 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick-lit and fashion lovers
Shelves: chick-lit
If you like modern chick-lit fashion reads, you'll like this. It was a cute book, and there were a couple mysterious elements that kept you guessing throughout the novel.

Don't expect ANY character development though. You only get to know each character on a very superficial, surface level. For this books purposes, I think that worked out fine. Also, the CONSTANT mentions of the characters wearing fur coats--mink, chinchilla, etc, kept making me want to dry heave. I really didn't care for the

I
kris hicar
Didn't even finish this one. The main characters are so caught up in themselves it's hard to care. I like chick lit. It's a fun genre and going into you have to know the main characters are going to have some flaw, not realize what they are capable of or just be looking for a change and not sure how to find it. But these two just annoyed the heck out of me. I just wasn't sure if I was suppose to like them or be envious of them. In the end, I just didn't like them.
Katie
Apr 08, 2016 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After enjoying Bergdorf Blondes so much, I figured I'd check out Plum's follow-up book. Apparently being a divorced girl in New York City is trendier than being single, engaged, or married. A handful of silly girls, again very extravagant with their lifestyles, show how to get by and stick together after a divorce. It was a cute, quick read.
Gila
Aug 03, 2014 Gila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is my favourite chicklit ever. you can't say that plum syke's books are smart or not as shallow as whatever. but they're exceptionally well written, sometimes sharp and if you squint, it kind of reads like very well executed, subtle satire. to me, plum sykes is like a modern jane austen. yes I just wrote that.
Anita
Jun 29, 2011 Anita rated it really liked it
awal baca rada ga tertarik, soalnya kebiasaan baca harlequin jadi rada ga match sama bahasanya yang sooo chicklit
tapi mulai masuk tengah2 mulai rame, yg bikin rame justru kehadiran tokoh sophie, rekan kerja Hunter yang licik banget dan berpredikat suka merebut suami orang
sylvie yang mengetahui kebohongan hunter bingung apakah harus marah2 ke suaminya atau dia tetap percaya ke suaminya,meski jelas2 suaminya melakukan beberapa kebohongan...

pada akhirnya ketahuan bahwa Hunter berbohong untuk menyi
Ratrichibi
Jul 12, 2014 Ratrichibi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: restack
After reading Plum Sykes' "Bergdorf Blondes", i was craving for her next book "The Debutante Divorcee". Lucky I finally got it from my favorite bookshop ^^
Like the previous book, this book also sketched the life of New York socialites - the PAPs (Park Avenue Princesses). The main character, Sylvie Mortimer was a newlywed and met Lauren Blount, a newly divorced during her supposed-to-be-honeymoon (because Mr. Mortimer suddenly gone for work), and they suddenly BFF.
As always, the new enlightenment
Beth Dean
I got this from the pound shop so I wasn't expecting much but it was actually not hard to read at all. I didn't think oh God not ANOTHER page. True the writing was light and there wasn't real depth in the plot however every reader needs to have a bit of a break.

The characters made me laugh and the clothes description is the best I've read in a long time with the gorgeous dresses and numerous swimming costumes. The love stories were light and carefully crafted, I didn't enjoy the whole is he or
Esra
Feb 16, 2014 Esra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plum Sykes writes about New York socialites, which she was a part of, in a way that only an insider can. The plot is fairly interesting and she manages to build up some suspense. However, the end was quite predictable. This was a quick and relaxing read and I can't wait to read her other books.
Kristin Dow
Apr 21, 2015 Kristin Dow rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Only book in my journal to ever get an F-; probably the worst book I've ever read. It was in the bargain bin for a reason. Characters empty-headed, shallow, not developed at all. References too obscure. Don't ever plan to read Sykes again!
Tiffeny
Is Sylvie's husband cheating on her or not? That's basically the plot of this story. The rumors, the conclusion-jumping, the paranoia got a little old, but over-all I liked the story. It was quite amusing.

Set among super-rich and connected young New Yorkers it entails newly wed Sylvie landing in a pool of divorcees frantically celebrating their freedom.

There were quite a few laughs and some really great, ridiculous quotes.

"And don't tell me I'm thin, because I know I look like a museum!"

and

"B
Kingfan30
This book really is based in another world, one you get a glimpse of on those to shows about the world miss expedite boats or hotel rooms. It's all about who's wearing what and dong what with who. It was an entertaining read but not to be taken too seriously.
  • Wolves in Chic Clothing
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • The Ivy Chronicles
  • The Ex-Mrs. Hedgefund
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1)
  • The Cinderella Pact
  • Girls' Night In
  • Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict, #1)
  • Celebutantes
  • Slightly Married (Slightly, #4)
  • Un-Bridaled
Victoria "Plum" Sykes is a British-born fashion-writer, novelist and New York socialite. "Plum" was a childhood nickname (the Victoria plum being a variety of that fruit).

More about Plum Sykes...