Start by marking “Little Manfred” as Want to Read:
Little Manfred

Little Manfred

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The heart-lifting, heartbreaking new story by Michael Morpurgo, the nation's favourite storyteller. In the Imperial War Museum is a wooden Dachshund, carved by a German prisoner of war for the children of the British family with which he stayed after the fighting ended. This is the story of how it got there! When the Bismarck sinks, one of the only German survivors is take ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Little Manfred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Manfred

Michael
Review from Badelynge.
In the Imperial War Museum there is a wooden Dachshund. It was carved by a German prisoner of war in the 1940s. This is its story. Well almost. It's a story that captures the spirit of the true story though.
In the summer of 1966, just after England's famous footballing victory against the Germans in the World Cup Final, a young girl, her brother and their dog encounter two men on the beach. One has a story to tell about the girl's mother from when she also was a little girl
Mark
Another book by Morpurgo covering yet another view of the second world war. This time its german prisoners of war working for and then befriending a farmer and his family. The prisoners built a little wooden toy dog for the young girl who named it after one of them. Then in 1966 one of these germans return with british sailor who had saved his life when he was originally captured and then had conveniently run into each other 6 years later on a train station as the german was being repatriated am ...more
Anne Hamilton
Morpurgo inverts his trademark framing device in this children's story. It actually makes the transitioning better, in my view. Instead of an adult reflecting on the events of childhood, the plot unfolds through the eyes of Charley, a twelve-year old girl, who lives on a farm near the seaside.

As in The Elephant in the Garden, it is a coincidence of name that draws two entirely different pairs of people together. Charley is followed to the beach by her young brother Alex and their dog, Little Man
Lukas
Little Manfred is an interesting book that is written in the point of view of a girl, Charley. It is written by a great author, Michael Morpurgo. This author has also written many other interesting books such as the world famous War Horse. Some of the main characters are: Charley (Who tells this story), Walter (A war soldier), Manfred (A war soldier, friends with Walter), Alex (Charley’s “annoying” brother), Little Manfred (The dog, also known as Mannie).
This book is mainly about a girl and her
Cruth
Author: Michael Morpurgo
Illustrator: Michael Foreman
First Published: 2011
Includes: Afterword covering the Bismark particularly the last battle, German POWs in the UK, and The World Cup, 1966.

Michael Morpurgo weaves a story through of friendship amidst trial, taking us on a journey through England (and Germany's) near history. Told in five parts he shows us the people who make us who we are.

Part 1: Today - 1966. The World Cup Final is played with the final between England and Germany.

Part 2: The
The Styling Librarian
Little Manfred by Michael Morpurgo, illustrated by Michael Foreman – Historical Fiction, 3rd grade and up– not for the sensitive ones though, many war scenes throughout. I can thank my beautiful friend Tanja for bringing this book to me as a gift recently…many friends are a little wary of purchasing a book for me because they never know if I’ve read it before… so I was excited, as was she, at a book I hadn’t read by Michael Morpurgo. Did you know there is a Michael Morpurgo month celebration in ...more
Read2review
** For the full review please check out www.read2review.com **

I adore Morpurgo’s work; I have a number of his titles at home waiting to be read. When I received Little Manfred through the post I just had to read it.

The story is set in 1966 just after England won the World Cup. Charley and Alex are playing with their collie “Mannie” on the beach and playing football. Alex kicks the ball too far and two older gentlemen kick it back. They start talking and they find out that the two gentlemen are
Hwee Goh
"For them it was a war they just wanted to forget. For us it was still a war we needed to understand." Thus two men on opposite sides of World War Two go back to "lay the ghost" on their past in this beautiful, heartwarming story. Morpurgo uses real events such as the World Cup final between England and Germany of 1966, and a wooden wheeled horse on display at the Imperial War Museum to spin this story. Also in the mid-1940s, large numbers of German prisoners of war lived in England before they ...more
Fendalton Open-air School
We thought this was a very good book. We thought it was touching. We liked the way it showed how war affected people in a personal way. The illustrations were detailed and clear. Michael Morpurgo writes to keep you in the book with all the little events connected to make a great story.
Vanessab
Michael Morpurgo is able to write apparently simple books which are actually many layered. This has stayed with me and I have been thinking about the issues raised. I think he is very good at dealing with terrible loss and the importance of relationships.
Opticalillusion
I love the way Michael Morpurgo knits both reality with fiction throughout many of his books and this one is no exception. His books are wonderful reads whether you are a child or someone who refuses to grow up yet.
Tina Cantin
Eh, it was okay I mean I didn't think it was anything special but I didn't hate it.

The ending kind of bothered me.
Ayesha
This was a nice short book about little manfred most of the story is told in flashback and it is a nice read
Heather
Another excellent story brilliantly told by Morpurgo.
Tanja
Michael Morpurgo never disappoints me. This is one of his shorter stories , accompanied by Michael Foreman's beautiful illustrations. A brother and sister discover the story behind a wooden toy dog which belonged to their mother. As in many of his books, I appreciate the author's note explaining the background to the story. This book has an additional note by Michael Foreman, relating to the 1966 World Cup finale between England and West Germany.
Thebruce1314
Like all of Morpurgo's books, this one contains animals, children and life lessons. I debated giving it five stars - it is a lovely story, with beautiful illustrations, but it annoys me a little that it isn't quite the true story of the little dog that now lives in the Imperial War Museum. Something like it...he was built by a German POW, and most kids probably wouldn't care to know the real story.
Discoverylover
I'm a huge fan of Morpurgo's and when I saw this new for $5 I snapped it up! One of the things I really love about Morpurgo is that while he mainly concentrates on English history, he doesn't exclude other participants in that history - this story for example centers on 2 German prisoners of war.
Matthew Don
Little Manfred boasts an enjoyable story about World War 2, as well as a fascinating lesson about friendships. Morpurgo always delivers thought-provoking punches paired with lovely illustrations, by Michael Foreman, a man Morpurgo always uses for illustrations, and rightly so too!
Jenni
Lovely story based on the true story of a toy dog made by German prisoners of war that is now in the Imperial War Museum. The kind of book I could imagine reading to a group of children and them all being completely gripped by it.
Rebecca
Little Manfred is enjoyable and well researched, but I felt that it lacked the depth of character that Morpurgo novels usually have. I really liked the historical notes at the back - a great opener for discussions with children.
Sbe
A delightful illustrated story about children whose mother has a beloved wooden toy called Manfred from her childhood.
skippity_doo
Another solid Morpurgo, with the usual balance of humanity and history. Lovely.
Ruben
May 08, 2012 Ruben rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I found it a interesting book. Good if you are learning about world war II.
Katrin
My ten year old son loved this book ... Read it in one day... Unheard of !
  • Mr Stink
  • The Manny Files
  • Hero on a Bicycle
  • 501 Must-See Movies.
  • The Vile Victorians
  • The Worry Tree (Pohon Cemas)
  • Soldier Dog
  • Vroom with a View: In Search of Italy's Dolce Vita on a '61 Vespa
  • Doctor Who and the Cybermen (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 14)
  • The 26-Storey Treehouse
  • Dark Waters
  • The Mystery of the Whistling Caves (Adventure Island, #1)
  • Hitler's Daughter
  • Frost Hollow Hall
  • Click-Clack the Rattlebag
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees carousel book (Winnie-the-Pooh Carousel Book)
  • Precious and the Monkeys
  • Tashi and the Giants (Tashi, #2)
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...
War Horse (War Horse, #1) Private Peaceful Kensuke's Kingdom The Butterfly Lion The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips