Start by marking “Aria, Volume 1 (Aria, #1)” as Want to Read:
Aria, Volume 1 (Aria, #1)

Aria, Volume 1 (Aria #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  691 ratings  ·  39 reviews
On the planet Aqua, a world once known as Mars, Akari Mizunashi has just made her home in the town of Neo-Venezia, a futuristic imitation of the ancient city of Venice. The technology of "Man Home" (formerly Earth) has not entirely reached this planet, and Akari is alone, having no contact with family or friends. Nonetheless, the town, with its charming labyrinths of river ...more
Published April 6th 2004 by ADV Manga (first published October 10th 2002)

Pandora Hearts, Vol. 07 by Jun MochizukiBlack Butler, Vol. 6 by Yana TobosoDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaChobits, Vol. 05 by CLAMPKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Best Manga Covers
47th out of 447 books — 125 voters
Yotsuba&!, Vol. 01 by Kiyohiko AzumaAzumanga Daioh Vol. 1 by Kiyohiko AzumaNana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaBunny Drop 1 by Yumi UnitaA Bride's Story, Vol. 1 by Kaoru Mori
Best Slice of Life Manga
10th out of 40 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Noran Miss Pumkin
This is alovely change of pace manga. The past in the future of Mars. We goofed, while melting the Mars glaciers, and flooded the planet. The cities are Venice like and one is built ti look like it. The tech on Mars, is 100 old year behind of Earth-no steam punk, but gondolas-with cute pilots. I like the stories, and the drawing style is love.

The reason for 4 star Noran-hey I heard they have cat mascots in the book, for the companies. You love cats. I know you sleep with the new Maru book under
--- ARIA : A.D 2301 The Voyage from Neo-Venezia 1-12---
Plot: Simpel tapi penuh dengan pelajaran berarti.
Gambar: SUPERB!
Penokohan: SUPERB!

Saya sama sekali tidak merasa berlebihan jika menuliskan penokohannya SUPERB^^ Ini pertama kalinya saya benar-benar menyukai seorang karakter cewek dari komik, lho. Padahal biasanya saya cuma suka dengan karakter cowok haha.

Berawal dari membaca ilegal sampai akhirnya bela-belain ngoleksi semua sampai volume yang sekarang telah terbit... ^^ Komik ini adalah sal
VQ the Mangamaniacs Taufik
Indonesian title : Aria, A.D 2301 The Voyage from Neo-Venezia
Genre : Slices of life, drama, futuristic
Rating : General

Alkisah di masa depan, Aqua (Mars) akhirnya bisa ditinggali oleh manusia. Orang beramai - ramai meninggalkan manhome (bumi) yang semakin sesak untuk memulai kehidupan di planet baru tersebut.

Salah satu tempat eksotik di Aqua adalah Neo-Venezia. Sebuah kota yang menghadirkan suasana kota Venezia (Italy) di mana masih terdapat bangunan - bangunan lama serta kanal - kanal air.

A slice of everyday life plot; which brings us into a journey through the eyes of a very upbeat girl who could see beauty in everything. The drawing is very pretty and detailed, evoking a peaceful feeling when reading it.
A wonderful, slow-paced series with an overall positive feeling. Full of light and water... The only similar manga that comes to my mind are Yotsuba&! and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.
I'm into anime but not to the level of an otaku. In fact, this is my first time to read a manga and I'm still adjusting to the format. I came across this title because I'm interested in the alternate-earth, sci-fi fantasy genre and people in anime and manga forums have mentioned this. Well, this is not the typical sci-fi alternate-earth adventure trip, all right. It's more of a collection of personal anecdotes of someone who has just moved to a new, faraway place, filled with light adventures an ...more
DAAAAANG that was pretty. Beautiful. Gorgeous. I almost forgot I was reading a manga and got lost in Venice.

This is one of those odd works that, according to Wikipedia, is both Shounen and Shoujo, not labeled one or the other even by magazine. And I think that's what makes this work so interesting.

The story is simple enough. A girl who loves Gondolas wants to become an "undine," Mars-Venice's gondoliers. This leads to heartwarming tales that just make you smile. Nothing bad happens, but sometime
Remember that theory about all good stories requiring one of the seven flavors of conflict to exist?

Kozue Amano has a different theory. A theory of gentle, meandering exploration propelled almost entirely by a sense of wonder. Virtually nothing happens in this manga. There's an entire episode devoted to washing a gondola. Not overcoming the challenges of washing a gondola mind you... just washing it. But it works! At least it did for me. It's rare to find such a unique and inspired brand of sto
I adore this series so much. So much. The artwork is beautiful. Such a wonderful slice-of-life manga. It's a tragedy that it will never be fully printed in English in the US due to the demise of Tokyopop. (I hate you so much, Stu Levy).

*additional edit for clarity* I am aware of the English scanslations. I am also aware that under US copyright law, scanslations are not legal. As a librarian, copyright law is kind of important to me. I would love to own LEGAL English copies of the manga. I cannot
Sooo good! I just finished it. It is a graphic novel/ manga though. The reason I read it was because I just began drawing manga and wanted inspiration. I only rate this a 4 because there is no problem.
I forgot I read this! Now that I look back on my life, I realize this has influenced me--style-wise--quite a bit! I'm gonna reread it and rate it soon!

Yukanatha Svanidza
The artwork is clean and refreshing, well suited to the premise of a terraformed, predominantly aquatic, and inhabitable Mars. The story is a little...insipid at first, unfortunately living up to all bad things usually associated with an "All Ages" manga--attempting to speak to all audiences through generalities, and thereby losing them. But it does get better with the appearance of Akatsuki, the "Salamander" of the Floating Island above the city. More funny and interesting, the majority of the ...more
Mar 22, 2014 Anna added it
Lovely and light and cute, full of the simple pleasures and wonder of life, through childlike eyes.
A meditation on enjoying life as it comes set in an interesting "Venetian" environment.
Great detail in the art, with breathtaking backgrounds. Warm and endearing characters make each chapter's simple plot seem very engaging. Inspirational!
I am very happy with this series! I liked the cover and so decided to try it, even though it is rated Older Teen. I've now read 5 volumes of it and STILL can't see why it gets that rating! This manga is much cleaner than some T13 series I have read: The characters rarely swear and any pervertedness is minimal or nonexistent! The artwork and characters are really pretty and the story is fun and lighthearted...I would recommend this series to anyone who just wants some good, clean, beautiful manga ...more
This manga book tells the tale of a young girl who travels to a new world to start a new job.

The world is the recently terraformed Mars that is now called Aqua because of the large amount of water.

With all that water, boat taxis are needed, hence the new job.

Excellent art and an easy read this title is popular with young, female teens.

This book successful captures the excitement of a new job in a new place.

Learning Curve
Low: Good for new readers.
Akari is an undine-in-training in Neo-Venezia on Aqua, the terraformed planet of Mars. She drives a gondola and gives tours of the city, and along with her friend Aika, hopes to someday be the best undine on the planet, with the help of her mentor, Alicia.

Cool setting. I wanted a stronger overarching conflict to drive the plot, rather than just wanting to be a real undine someday. There's the hint of a love interest, but overall not real exciting.
cerita aria ini sangat berkesan , menyenangkan . Aku sangat senang membacanya karena disana seperti kota impian ku kota tang penuh dengan air yang sangat jernih nan tenang dan kota penuh dengan kedamaian . Apalagi ada seorang UNDINE yang baik bernama AKARI MIZUNASHI , yang dibimbing oleh senpai nya ALICIA . di kota yang bernama NEO-VENEZIA . sebelumnya adalah planet MARS yang pernuh dengan air dan dibei nama AQUA .
Aria is such a ditz, but I still loved her personality. I'm not quite sure I can say the same about the dialogue, only because it seemed a bit hither-and-thither in the way the denouement was going (a bit hair-brained, just like Aria). It's cute nonetheless, and is a great bit of light reading fun for younger kids, mostly girls (at whom this is supposed to be aimed, I'm sure).
Alan Jennings
A quick warning, this book isn't about a good story, it about reflecting and enjoying the spaces in your life between the stories that you live. Very well done.
Mar 20, 2009 Jessi rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
It was a cute and very kid friendly manga. It reminded me of Kiki's Delivery Service. (Except that I actually liked that movie.) A young girl moves to a new area to achieve her dream and makes friends. As a 27 year old, I found it to be boring. The drawings are nice though.
A bit boring sometimes, doing more telling than showing, and there were a couple characters I didn't like at all. There were really lovely parts, though, like the inari fox wedding. That whole chapter was probably the most engaging of the book.
In the future, the planet Mars is mostly covered by water, and this story takes place in an idyllic neo-Venetian city among a group of female gondoliers. It's a nifty set-up, and the art is very pretty, but not very much happens.
I'm biased towards this manga and the mangaka. I watched the anime first and loved it to pieces, so reading the manga was going back to the characters and the stories I loved so much, hence the five stars rating.
this was another good book by kazue
i liked how he made a different series but with the same characters and storyline and everything so its basically the 3 aqua
another good book with great manga
Travis Mueller
Dec 05, 2013 Travis Mueller marked it as pass
I like the sort of sub-genre seen here of slice-of-life stories in fantastical or sci-fi settings, but this one just didn't hook me. The characters and situations just seemed insufficiently engaging.
I absolutely love this manga. Love it! I can't wait to get and read the rest. I kind of wish that I could live there. Nice and laid back, lots of water... it sounds perfect!
Josei and Seinen ...: Aria Discussion 3 7 Apr 07, 2014 03:20PM
  • All My Darling Daughters
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 1 [Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou 1]
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • Karakuri Odette Volume 1
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Train Man: Densha Otoko, (Train-Man, #1)
  • Suppli, Volume 1
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 4
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 03 (Yotsuba&! #3)
  • Afterschool Charisma, Vol. 1
  • not simple
  • Solanin
  • Immortal Rain, Vol. 1
  • Mushishi, Volume 1 (Mushishi, #1)
  • Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
  • Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet, Vol. 01
Kozue Amano (天野こずえ Amano Kozue) is a female Japanese manga artist. She is widely known as the creator of Aria, which proved to be a best-selling hit, and was adapted into an anime television series consisting of 3 seasons and an OVA.
More about Kozue Amano...

Aria (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Aria, Volume 2 (Aria, #2)
  • Aria, Volume 3 (Aria, #3)
  • Aria, Volume 4 (Aria, #4)
  • Aria, Volume 5 (Aria, #5)
  • アリア 6 (Aria, #6)
  • アリア 7 (Aria, #7)
  • アリア 8 (Aria, #8)
  • アリア 9 (Aria, #9)
  • アリア 10 (Aria, #10)
  • アリア 11 (Aria, #11)
Aqua, Volume 1 (Aqua, #1) Aria, Volume 2 (Aria, #2) Aqua, Volume 2 (Aqua, #2) Aria, Volume 3 (Aria, #3) Aria, Volume 4 (Aria, #4)