Start by marking “Focus: A Simplicity Manifesto in the Age of Distraction” as Want to Read:
Focus: A Simplicity Manifesto in the Age of Distraction

Focus: A Simplicity Manifesto in the Age of Distraction

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,013 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
“At the heart of this simple book lies the key to many of the struggles we face these days, from being productive and achieving our goals, to getting healthy and fit in the face of fast food and inactivity, to finding simplicity and peace amidst chaos and confusion. That key itself is simple: focus. Our ability to focus will allow us to create in ways that perhaps we haven ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 11th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published September 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Focus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Focus

Cara
Mar 18, 2011 Cara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life
Ok, I knew I'm way too easily distracted and having a hard time getting things done because of it, but I really didn't think I was addicted to all this e-crap. After all, I'm not even on Twitter, I don't have a smart phone, I don't text and hate calls. But then Leo proposed disconnecting completely for 2-3 days--no phone, no email, no news, no facebook, no blogs, no websites--and I realized my first instinct was panic. Also, I used to ignore the computer at home all weekend, but now I find mysel ...more
Foad Ansari
i read that book really quickly, because i accustomed with this topic a little . actually i follow Zenhabits.net and i knew Leo Babauta from one years ago he is really good blogger who write good post about Life Style.
in this book he write about our problem in age of distraction and you can say age of information whatever you like but focusing in this time is really impossible and hard to get, we face to many notification from social network, mobile, SMS and etc..daily Leo has lots of great ide
Jake
Mar 08, 2011 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review applies to the free version of Focus; there are larger, more extensive versions available for purchase, both on Kindle and on the Focus Manifesto website. I cannot comment on either one.

I came across this during my recent reading and thinking on minimalism, and download it because a) focus is something that I can always use practice on and b) the price was right. I realize that the second may not be the noblest reason for getting a book, but hey, it worked for me.

The free version of
Mohammed Alsuayegh
كتاب رائع يستعرض مشكلتنا الرئيسية التي سببتها لنا التقنية وهي تشتت التفكير وفقدان القدرة على التركيز في العمل أو الإنتاج من غير مقاطعات الأجهزة التقنية المشتتة، يميز هذا الكتاب أن من كتبه كان يعاني من نفس المشكلة واستطاع تجاوزها بنجاح، وبذلك يكون قد ابتعد عن المثالية بشكل كبير، يعجبني أيضاً أنه لايقيّدك بطريقة معينة أو حل معيّن وإنما يطرح عليك الحلول الشائعة التي تناسب غالب الناس وأنت الذي يقرر الأسلوب الأمثل لك. الكتاب مجاني يمكنك تحميله من موقع الكتاب
والأخ ناصر الناصر
Bistra Ivanova
Понеже от известно време чета блога на Лео за минимализъм - http://mnmlist.com/ , а и от Све видях, че тази книга има безплатна версия, а и имам малко проблеми с фокусирането и вършенето на задачи, реших да зачета. Книгата звучи като един дъълъг блог-пост, което донякъде е забавно, но и я олекотява малко повече от здравословното. Като почетеш малко от господин Лео, забелязваш как той ужасно се повтаря и вече имаш чувството, че си чел всичко и дори не искаш да си помисляш с какво е успял да напъл ...more
Pequete
Apr 06, 2016 Pequete rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-livros
This is a very good book with tips on finding focus in several aspects of life. Nothing revolutionary, but a lot of condensed common sense, written in a simple and appealing way, that leaves us with energy to really and finally find more focus. There are parts of the book that could have been written by my, for they adjust so well to my own life. Such as this one (except for Twitter): “In my life, for example, I try to focus on work but have children in my home/office who want my attention. When ...more
Afnan Aldimasi
Feb 13, 2013 Afnan Aldimasi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2012
I love this book! It has helped me change so many things in my life really! It basically helped me become more focused on getting my tasks done efficiently.

The main tips that had made a huge difference were:

-Clearing up my desk and literally keeping ONLY a couple of items.
-Clearing my laptop desktop and taskbar.
-Listening to sounds-capes and white noise while working on a task that needs focus when being in a noisy environment.
-Using a Google chrome extension that helps block sites on the inter
Radovan
Mar 26, 2016 Radovan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prirucky
Babautova kniha ZEN A HOTOVO sa stala pre mňa najväčším prekvapením a najčítanejšou (znova a znova) knihou za posledné mesiace. O to prekvapivejšie, že ide vlastne o príručku (osobnej produktivity) a nie žiadny román, či komiks. Kniha bola tak dobre napísaná, jednoducho a ľúbivo prevedená (verzia od Jan Melvil publishing, 2010), že som sa do nej jednoducho zamiloval. Ďalším plusom bolo, že to, čo Babauta píše, sktuočne funguje. Preto keď som na stránkach vydavateľstva našiel odkaz na druhú Babau ...more
Eti Mishra
Nov 01, 2015 Eti Mishra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Focus , this book is about how to focus on things that matters to you the most, it's about how to get things done when you are living in a world which is full of distractions.

In this book the author talks about focus, disconnections and distractions.

According to him people these days waste a whole lot of time in connecting with the world and they lose focus on what they actually want to do and accomplish, he talks about how people are not able to focus because of distractions that is coming f
Cheryl
Jan 05, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motivation, ebooks
I have to confess: I read this book in fits and starts in transit and on breaks and wherever I could find 10 minutes at a time until I was finally able to finish the last third in one extended uninterrupted sitting. As I write this review, I have the television on and am constantly switching my attention from one screen to the other. I fear actually tallying the number of hours I spend checking the black holes of Facebook, Twitter and Gmail. And clutter? I am its queen. If there is a target audi ...more
Fellini
Jan 25, 2013 Fellini rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Ещё одна книжка про самоорганизацию и тайм-менеджмент. Вроде ничего нового не сказано, но подобные штуки хорошо время от времени перечитывать, чтоб напоминать себе. Полезно, кажется, всем в наш век избытка информации.

Это не технологий мы должны бояться. Мы должны бояться такого образа жизни, при котором мы постоянно подключены, постоянно разрываемся между разрушителями внимания, постоянно отвлекаемся и подвергаемся бомбардировке информацией и запросами. Это жизнь, в которой нет места для творчес
Tiffany Young
Feb 20, 2011 Tiffany Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're anything like me, you spend the day tweeting, facebooking, checking e-mail, playing Words With Friends and mostly just being distracted. If you feel like it's keeping you from doing the things you need and want to get done, perhaps reading Leo Babauta's "Focus."

You can download the free book and read it in .pdf format on your computer or print it out.
If Leo Babauta sounds familiar, it may be because his blog Zen Habits has long been successful among GTDers and minimalists.

Babauta came
Anton Klink
I was very enthusiastic about the book during its first half, when it talked about concentrating on one thing at a time and weeding out all the digital and other distractions in your life but when it went into suggesting to do the easy things instead of the hard ones and the pleasant ones instead of the unpleasant ones, I felt like I just couldn't agree with that. Often doing the hard things now make life easy later on and doing the unpleasant ones immediately will yield more pleasant things in ...more
Lesley Nowlin
May 02, 2013 Lesley Nowlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Authors...really a book for all..has a universal appeal
Many reviewers state Leo Babauta books are similar. This was my first book by Babauta, and I thought it was simply amazing. Focus was full of advice on how to stay focused and complete simple task. I've always said twitter and facebook was a huge was of time, but really needed for authors and people trying to grow their business. Leo offers solutions to the social media distraction. The overall premise of this book is to slow down and focus on one task at a time until it's complete. One pointer ...more
Omid
May 15, 2016 Omid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick and useful book. It has really good points, but I think it emphasizes too much on disconnecting.

Overall, I really liked the book and I am happy I read it.
Angie
Apr 06, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of great resources, tools, tips and advice. My only complaint was going to be that it isn't as practical for parents but there's a chapter in there that deals with parents too. Another thing I think that's important to keep in mind is the whole minimalist lifestyle is a process not an end-goal. Just something you work on constantly so I'd keep that in mind to prevent from becoming overwhelmed.

Definitely recommend reading this book b/c its free, it's a quick read & it's an ebook that you
Alex
Feb 05, 2014 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is a great book, easy to read and very well written! The author keeps reminding the readers that there is no precise step-by-step guide to get away from all the distractions and the clutter that surrounds us, but he offers ideas and suggestions to help in improving our focus. Every person must find their own path and solutions, because what works for someone might not work for another.

There are some interesting theories in this book and these are real problems which affect productivity
Aly J (Ket Dusky)
I've enjoyed the author's blogs for a few years now, and was looking forward to this book. The first disc (of the audio recording) was interesting, though listening to a list of recommended programs to help you cut out distractions was more like listening to a giant advertising campaign. (Not to mention the programs that turn off all of your other programs for a certain amount of time, and whose settings can't be changed until after that time is up, sounds a bit like malware to me...)

The second
Petrucha
Nov 02, 2015 Petrucha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Je mi to lito, ale prijde mi, ze tahle kniha si neustale protireci. Nejdriv prezentuje jako moznost zjednoduseni mensi cile, za chvili se to otoci a tvrdi, ze cile cloveka svazuji a je treba se jimi neridit. Nehlede na to, ze vsechny zavery bych asi na zaklade mudlovske analyzy dovedla udelat sama. Asi jsem cekala neco vic. Naivne.

Take bych rada rekla, ze nas nerozptyluje jen technika. Ano, technika hopsa na miste a ukazuje na sebe, protoze je ocividnym vinikem, kdyz hledate. Ale odpojeni se od
Cristobal
Mar 05, 2011 Cristobal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book that feels like a sip of fresh water on a very hot day. It is insane how close we are nowadays from those who are far and how far we are from those who are close. This book offers a ton of different ways to make everything you do more meaningful. I recommend that you not only read this book but even more, share it with the people you care about.
Arpitaa
I read the free version of this book. While most of the suggestions/advice on how to focus, avoid distractions seem intuitive, all of us could do with a little reminder now and then and that's exactly what the book aims to do. The book, written from the writer's (a "creators") perspective, did not talk too much about the passive consumer's/non creators' distractions (both cause and effect) but that is a very minor gripe. A very important distinction noted in the later chapters is how having goal ...more
Nanya Srivastava
If your job involves a lot of writing, you'll be able to instantly connect with this book. Writing is not done in chaos. It needs tranquility of mind, if not of the environment. Unfortunately, we are surrounded by distractions everywhere-- from mails, notifications to social media. We have a need to be connected at all times and the fear of missing out meddles with all creative processes. This book provides helpful tips and tools to focus amid such distractions.

The book is great at the beginnin
Abdulrhman Al-Khamees
I believe this book gonna make you more productive. It talk about how to eliminate the distractions in your life, Specially that we had distraction coming from every direction. Mobiles , Twitter, Facebook,etc..
Pavel Miksa
Četl jsem pouze free e-book, který však dostatečně ilustruje hlavní myšlenku knihy i autora. Myslím si, že kdo pravidelně sleduje zenhabits.com určitě mu bude verze zdarma stačit. Spoustu věcí se dozví na blogu autora.
Santiago Eximeno
Interesante aproximación minimalista al Getting Things Done. Varias ideas de aplicación inmediata y una agrabable filosofía zen subyacente. Merece la pena leerlo.
CeciliaChristine
Feb 28, 2016 CeciliaChristine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leo non dice nulla che non si sappia già. Internet, computer, telefonini e compagnia ci stanno privando della capacità di concentrarci, di essere presenti.
Tutti questo perché noi lo permettiamo, abituati al multitasking e alla gratificaxione immediata.
Vederlo scritto nero su bianco però fa effetto, e proprio mentre si legge ci si rende conto che si vorrebbe twittare una citazione, guardare se è arrivata una mail, dare un'occhiata a facebook.
Molti dei suoi consigli sono diretti e forse più utili
Aleksey Trufanov
Aug 25, 2011 Aleksey Trufanov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книга существует в двух вариантах: бесплатном и полном. В полном варианте — есть дополнительные главы, в т.ч. написанные с другими авторами. Но основная идея, принципы и приёмы изложены в бесплатной части. Читается легко, язык простой и ясный, если у вас средний уровень владения английским — смело читайте в оригинале (in English). Книга книга хорошо структурирована, по объёму небольшая: 121 страница, но текст вразрядку.

Автор объясняет, как добиться фокуса в работе и в любом деле, и вследствие эт
Niranj
Aug 07, 2013 Niranj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review is for the free version of this book which can be found at http://focusmanifesto.com/

I took my time reading this book. A lot of things the author states makes sense. In an age where most of us don't have time to do things that we want to do, the author talks about surprisingly simple things, which if implemented well, can achieve a lot. Many seem impractical, but they all boil down to what one wants.

The methods described are simple, and surprisingly, the things that took my time and ca
Erika RS
May 29, 2012 Erika RS rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Finished the free edition of Focus [1] by Leo Babauta (2/5). Leo writes Zen Habits[2] a blog about simplicity and creativity for those of us living in this modern, hectic world. The blog is great, and I dip into it from time to time when I need a refresher on simplicity.

The book has all of the merits of the blog: the content is clear and concise, the writing good, and the advice useful without being accusing. However, while the style and the content are both good, the chapters read as lengthy bl
Jimmyz
Oct 27, 2014 Jimmyz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-books
I find myself at the end of the day having not accomplished anything except email. This is really frustrating because there are greater things to accomplish in my work than email. This book gives some good ideas of how to disconnect for long enough to get stuff done. As an experiment, I actually went an entire year without Facebook and found that to help me regain focus in certain areas of my life.
  • 279 Days to Overnight Success: An Unconventional Journey to Full-Time Writing
  • The Pomodoro Technique
  • The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE
  • Psychic Intelligence: Tune In and Discover the Power of Your Intuition
  • Life Nomadic: How to Travel the World for Less Than You Pay in Rent
  • The Information Diet: A Case for Conscious Consumption
  • La Comunicacion No Verbal/ The Nonverbal Communication (13/20)
  • Upgrade Your Life: The Lifehacker Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, Better
  • Mama Gena's Owner's and Operator's Guide to Men
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Time Warrior: How to defeat procrastination, people-pleasing, self-doubt, over-commitment, broken promises and Chaos
  • Powerful Premise: Writing the Irresistible (Red Sneaker Writers Book Series 6)
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • Minimalism: Essential Essays
  • Beyond the Brain: Birth, Death, and Transcendence in Psychotherapy
  • The Successful Novelist: A Lifetime of Lessons about Writing and Publishing
  • Language: The Social Mirror
  • The Art of Doing Nothing: Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself
Leo Babauta is a simplicity blogger and author. He created Zen Habits, a Top 25 blog (according to TIME magazine) with 260,000 subscribers, mnmlist.com, and the best-selling books focus, The Power of Less, and Zen To Done.

Babauta is a former journalist of 18 years, a husband, father of six children, and in 2010 moved from Guam to San Francisco, where he leads a simple life.

He started Zen Habits to
More about Leo Babauta...

“Find a quiet place, and just read. If you’re reading an ebook, clear away everything else but your ebook reader.
Then you settle into the reading, and enjoy it. Bask in the luxury of reading without distractions.”
1 likes