Start by marking “Tell” as Want to Read:
Tell

Tell

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  147 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
When his step-father Phil is shot dead in an apparent robbery, David becomes the prime suspect. Where was David that night, and what does he know about Phil?
David has figured out the truth about his step-father, and the day his kid-brother died. What will it take for him to tell? And how did he know?
Published October 1st 2006 by Orca Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2006)

Trevor Schmoldt
Feb 24, 2014 Trevor Schmoldt rated it really liked it
"Tell" by Norah McClintock was a very good book,and the plot was present day time. The weather or seasons were never brought up. The story first starts off with David and his mother. He had a step dad named Phil that took great care of him. As far as David knew his real dad is dead.

Phil was one of the main characters, who was only home on the weekends. Phil took care of David, his brother,and their mother. Phil drove semi over the road and made pretty good money. David was a fifteen year old
Trevor Fletcher
Jan 21, 2016 Trevor Fletcher rated it really liked it
"Tell" was a great book who was accused for killing his step dad. His real dad died when the main character, David, was younger. He didn't know tell someone told him. His step dad and him didn't always see eye to eye on things and didn't always get along. That's why the cops think that David killed him because of something they were arguing about and he was out of the house when the murder took place. David's stepdad just got done gambling when he was shot. He was on his way home when it happene ...more
Haven
Apr 08, 2016 Haven rated it it was amazing
Personal Response
I really liked this book because the story was about real life. The story kept me interested and I wanted to keep reading it. I enjoyed the little mystery it told about when they were investigating David's stepdad and what happened to his little brother.

Plot
This book is about a boy and his relationship with his stepdad. The stepdad was only around on weekends because he drove truck. David hated being told to do chores by his stepdad. His stepdad would make him play cards and the
Jessica Abarquez
Feb 28, 2008 Jessica Abarquez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reluctant-reader
Tinsley Tullos
May 17, 2009 Tinsley Tullos rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
If you are looking for an easy read, this book is perfect! I read it in less then an hour, and I could'nt put it down. It was such a shock when I found out that the step father chose not to help the little boy when he was drowning. I thought it was sad when the mom thought that the son had killed the step father, and I just wanted scream at her for not believing him. All along i thought it was the step father's friend Jack, but it wasnt. I loved how Jack told David the truth about his real fathe ...more
Mallery Heimberger
Feb 26, 2016 Mallery Heimberger rated it it was amazing
This book is was interesting from cover to cover. I have to say this book was one of the best books I have ever read by far. It was very detailed and was always easy to follow.
Victoria Waddle
May 26, 2015 Victoria Waddle rated it really liked it
When David’s stepfather, Phil, is murdered, the motive seems to be robbery. But there are odds details that keep pointing to David as a suspect. Leading among those details is the fact that David has a gold-framed picture of his little brother Jamie. This picture had been on Phil’s person when he was killed. In fact, he always carried it, ever since Jamie had drowned in an accident years before.

Now everything is open to question. Who was Phil, really? A nice stepfather who cared deeply about his
Chuck
Apr 30, 2014 Chuck rated it really liked it
This is a story about a family that has been through several tragedy's . When the stepdad takes the younger son fishing and then he falls in and drowns . The stepdad said it was an accident, but he was a good swimmer and could of saved the boy. The stepdad then goes out late one night to an ATM to get money for his poker game, he is shot and killed. The older boy saw the whole thing but he didn't call for help, just like his stepdad didn't help his brother.

Phil is the stepdad, he likes to gamble
Salsabrarian
*SPOILER* Davidâs stepfather Phil has been murdered in an apparent street robbery. David has never gotten along well with Phil but he swears to the detective that he didnât do it, was nowhere near the place where it happened. But Davidâs image is seen on a convenience store security video which places him in the vicinity and he is brought in for more questioning. David finally admits he was in the area but insists on giving the detective some background about Phil, including the fact that Phil a ...more
Christian Kerr
Oct 06, 2014 Christian Kerr rated it really liked it
Tell by Norah McClintock is a fantastic short story. The book starts, when the main character(David) is awaken by the sound of his mother screaming at the front door. Standing at the door is a police officer who tells David and his mom that his dad had been murdered. His family is awestruck. The family also finds out some disturbing news on how Davids little brother drowned years ago. The problem surrounding the murder is no one knows who did it or why. David lies to the police about where he wa ...more
Garrett
Oct 23, 2014 Garrett rated it really liked it
I liked the book, Tell, by Norah McClintock because it kept you wondering all the way until the end. In this book the son, David, is accused of killing his stepfather but turns out to be innocent. The only bad thing David did was watch the murderer kill his stepfather and not call for help. David and his stepfather did not have a good relationship and the stepfather was kind of a jerk. This is why David was accused of killing him. David said he did not call for help after his stepfather had been ...more
Derek O'Hara
Nov 13, 2015 Derek O'Hara rated it did not like it

Norah McClintock’s Tell is a book that challenges the reader by leaving them with questions. David is main character who is a murder suspect more importantly his step-fathers murder. “Phil’s been in an accident” this is when they first confront David about the murder. They also challenge the reader by not telling who the killer is till the very end “I didn’t want to tell anyone” this shows that david admits to it too the reader but not the police. This book leaves everyone with questions wanting
Teen
Oct 28, 2008 Teen added it
Shelves: high-low
From School Library Journal: “In poker, a "tell" is a sign that someone is bluffing. It might be a twitch, a nervous cough, or a glance. David learned a lot about tells as he watched his stepfather play the game. Now the man has been murdered, and the teen lies when a policeman shows up on his doorstep asking questions. The police quickly focus in on him, and in convincing them of his innocence, David thinks back to his stepfather's tells and realizes some long-hidden truths about his family. Em ...more
Crystal Alexander

Author Norah McClintock
Publisher Orca Book Publishers Year 2006
# of pages 100 Genre Reluctant Readers
Reading level 4th Interest level High School
Potential hot lava: The only thing that I could come up with as to why it would be bad was the fact that David’s step-father gets shot and the book is about David trying to keep it a secret.

General response/reaction: When I first s
Raul Salazar
Jan 07, 2013 Raul Salazar rated it liked it
Detective Antonelli stared at me. He said, “Where did u get the gun?”
“What gun?”
“Come on, David,” he said. “Your stepfather was shot dead. Your mother found the missing picture of your brother in the clothes dryer. Your clothes were the only ones in the dryer. We know for a fact that you were in the immediate area right before your stepfather was shot.
This quote is from the book I read tell by Norah McClintock, my thoughts about this book is that its and interesting and easy book to read. The
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Holly for TeensReadToo.com

Where did you get the gun? Where did you hide it after you murdered him? How did you even do it?

These are all questions that Detective Antonelli asked David, the main character of TELL, after his stepfather, Phil, was shot and killed.

All signs pointed to David when the police found out that he was only a block away from the crime scene. Not to mention that he was there with Phil just moments before his stepfather's death. David has no way of talking himsel
Fullerton
Mar 30, 2010 Fullerton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book is alot more diffrent for the other books from this series that I have read. I think that this book is a better perspective told in first person than telling it in third like usual. this book doesn't tell you who did it until the very end and there aren't alot of hints to give you idea of who did it.
This book Is about a boy named david that has a setep father that was just murdered by a bank robbing. david is accused of being the killer. david must now proove his inesenc
The Book Sale Scrounger
Jul 28, 2015 The Book Sale Scrounger rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-a-day
You can tell that it's supposed to be one of those books to coax non-readers out of their shell based on the material and length, but honestly, this is a plain story with "meh" inducing twists and not much else to speak for it other than the fact that I was lucky enough to pick it up out of a plastic bin at a garage sale for five cents.
Brandon
Nov 13, 2014 Brandon rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Is a very mysterious and interesting book. Every time I read a chapter, I would want to continue reading because it was so good that I wanted to find out what would happen next. I love the way the author gave every detail in every character's thoughts. I recommend this book to people who like mystery books.
Faith Redding
Oct 26, 2015 Faith Redding rated it it was amazing
I thought this book called Tell by Norah McClintock was very interesting. I loved this book because it was a mystery book. I rate this a 5 out of five stars. The mystery in this book was to find out how this kids stepfather died.
Terry
Jan 27, 2013 Terry rated it liked it
Shelves: thin-reads
A solid outing from the ORCA Soundings series for teen readers. This comes off like an episode of "Law and Order" with David's step-father being murdered and then the investigation turning to David. There's a little bit of poker, a bit of dealing with the death of a younger brother, a police-station confession. McClintock keeps the action moving. This isn't quite as good as Riley Park or Down, but it is well worth checking out.
Dryden Sidoni
Jun 09, 2015 Dryden Sidoni marked it as to-read
How do u read this u can't
Tiffany Derrick
Feb 24, 2011 Tiffany Derrick rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
If your a person who doesnt really enjoy reading but like alot of mystery n crime scenes then this book is for you.Iam a person who hates reading but once i started reading this book i couldnt put it down because every page was a new mystery.One moment you think you know who was behind the murder then a few pages later the book has you confused.Besides that the book is only 114 pages and is very good so if your interested in mystery you should read this trust me you wont be dissapointed.
Celina
Mar 31, 2016 Celina rated it liked it
Shelves: school-home-work
WEIRD STORY!!
Arieles E.
Nov 04, 2009 Arieles E. rated it it was ok
Tell is a book that make you think twice who you are friends with and who can you trust.For exampled in the book Jake who was the dad fiend and play poker with is now going after the mom .Tell is a mystery book you have to be in it to understand what going on to find out the mystery. For me tell was not was good because I am not all in to mystery. The reason why I dont like mystery is because I dont like to look for the clues.
Chadley Git-R-Dun Renfield
Oct 24, 2013 Chadley Git-R-Dun Renfield rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I give this book a 4 star so far the book is pretty good. it makes you want to keep reading it to find out whats going to happen next. So far its about a boy and his mom and his step was was just murdered. right now there is detectives working on figuring out who killed him and why they killed him. Im guessing that the son had something to do with his step dads murder.
Nicole
Dec 09, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
~has a few spoilers~ it was so great! very descriptive ! good story. loved how they made you so curious who killed him. loved how they made stories for the characters . but the ending was too quick and bland . the killer wasnt event really revealed . they just said it was a "guy" no description of him or anything. loved how David watched him die like Phil did to Jaime.
Alyssa Haught
Sep 29, 2009 Alyssa Haught rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ssr
Alyssa Haught pd.5-6 Tell by: Norah McClintock 1oo pages 9/29/09 i give it an 8.

I give this book an 8 because i thought that it kept my attention very good. i thought the book would have ended differently but it kind of had an ironic twist. It is a very entertaining book about two murders lead to another but there is many time in between the murders.
Zach
Nov 23, 2008 Zach rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
this book is about a kid named David who is awaken by the plice at his door. While his mom is sad he doesnt seem to care about it. Because of his attitude he becomes the prime suspect toward his step-dads murder. Does he know anyyhing about it. To know more read the book. I think this is a good book because it is intense.
Maddie
Mar 01, 2013 Maddie rated it liked it
Shelves: outside-reading
David's step father is killed and he is the prime suspect. David is not too sad about Phil's death. Throughout the book David is investigated. Also he figure out Phil was into gambling and poker. David reveals that Phil would cheat during a card game. This then leads to a huge discovery of Davids little brother Jamie's death.
  • Death Wind
  • Overdrive (Orca Soundings)
  • Saving Grace
  • Yellow Line
  • I.D.
  • Lockdown
  • Reaction
  • Bad
  • First Time
  • Plastic
  • Fancy White Trash
  • Truth
Norah McClintock’s fascinating mysteries are hard to put down. Her Chloe & Levesque series, Mike & Riel series, and Robyn Hunter series, all published by Scholastic Canada, have been popular with readers in many countries. Norah has also written several crime novels for reluctant readers in the Orca Soundings series from Orca Book Publishers,

Norah is a five-time winner of the Crime Writer
More about Norah McClintock...

“I knew because I knew her tell. Phil licked his lips and got a blank look in his eyes. My mother fiddled with her hair.” 0 likes