Start by marking “Because” as Want to Read:
Because

Because

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Jack's mom may tell him that "because" is not an answer, but he disagrees. In fact, this almost-six-year-old thinks "because" is the perfect answer . . . to any question!

Why did he cover himself in Band-Aids?

Why is the dog wearing a cape?

Why did he eat all the chocolate cake?

Richard Torrey's endearing companion to Almost and Why? celebrates every child's favorite answer t
Published June 7th 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Because, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Because

Katie
Jul 05, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Audience: Primary
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Book Talk:
Jack's mom may tell him that "because" is not an answer to every question. "Why did you eat all the cake?" "Why are you mad at the dog?" "Why is the cereal all over the floor?" His answer "because." If you like books that have the humor of the excuses kids make to their parents, you will love this book! This book reveals every child's favorite answer to life's trickiest questions.
Elisabeth
Jul 18, 2011 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
what it lacks in substance and story it makes up for with humor and cute redheaded boys. Simple text and bright illustrations might make this a good choice for story time. Would pair nicely with the "No David" books.
Tam
Jul 18, 2014 Tam rated it liked it
This was a fun book to read with my 4-year-old. The illustrations are cute and it was the kind of book with a lot of interaction. We were able to talk about what question we thought the little boy was answering on every page just by looking at the picture and hearing his answer.

It starts with a boy standing on a chair reaching the cereal on top of the fridge and says, "My mom says 'because' is not a real answer. But I think it is."

Turn the page and there's the little boy with the cereal spilled
Dave
Dec 29, 2014 Dave rated it it was amazing
funny book about using his mother's favorite work: "because". I chuckled a lot in the book; especially when he covered himself in band aides - too runny. Author has a great sense of humor. Artwork is simple and attractive.
Ms Threlkeld
Nov 16, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Could be used to help kids practice generating questions before working on a writing piece, but as a story it is not very engaging.
Dolly
Sep 11, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I felt a little bit like Johnny Carson's famous character, "Carnac the Magnificent" when we read this book. Each page has an answer with a humorous illustration that helped us come up with the appropriate question. We enjoyed thinking up what could be asked and why the boy did the things he did. The situations were very amusing and we could relate very well with several of them. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Jenilyn Willis
This book was okay. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. I did enjoy though how it was almost written from a child's perspective. He uses the word because to explain certain things he does, but the explanations are kind of silly. I think kids would think it was funny and be able to relate to it, because everyone has done something silly and made up a silly excuse to go along with it.
Dona
Jan 29, 2012 Dona rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
It is always fun when the pictures in a picture book tell the story. This book looks at life through the perspective of a young boy. The limited amount of text is there to lead the readers to conclusions but doesn't give the conclusions away, that is left to the reader.
Slee
Mar 28, 2013 Slee rated it really liked it
This book with fun illustrations encourages children to explain how each explanatory statement relates to the picture. It reminds me of Jeapordy, with my son searching for the question summing up each image.
Melissa
Aug 29, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, picturebooks
Three stars if you read this with "Almost" and "Why," not quite as strong on its own. The Band-Aid page rocks. The best pair: "Because you're big and I'm little / Because I'm little and you're big."
Samantha
Jun 17, 2011 Samantha rated it liked it
Funny, creative, and paired with great illustrations. Simple enough to make for a good read aloud and a fun choice for storytime due to its refrain of...because.
Michelle Nero
Oct 03, 2011 Michelle Nero rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"Because" is an answer for this little guy. There is always a reason . . . looking forward to reading the other books by Richard Torrey (Why? and Almost)
Katie
Aug 19, 2011 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, humor
Parents will find the humor in this one, as a little boy explains why the word "because" is the perfect answer to so many of his parents' questions!
Kate Hastings
Jun 17, 2011 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Grades Pre-K to 1. When mom asks you why you did something, she says "because" isn't an answer. But this boy thinks it's okay. Because.
Bethe
Oct 11, 2012 Bethe rated it liked it
Nice little story and illustrations, can see it used with a cause and effect lesson.

jennifer
The band-aids are awesome! And the bees! Super cute!!
Elizabeth
Narrative skills for storytime.

Thia
funny, why kids do things
Stefani
Susan McGilvray
Aug 26, 2011 Susan McGilvray rated it really liked it
Adorable
Davis Fullbright
Davis Fullbright rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Agent Smith
Agent Smith rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2016
AJ
AJ rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Jenson & Remy
Jenson & Remy rated it it was ok
May 31, 2016
Kelli
Kelli added it
May 30, 2016
Terry Tung
Terry Tung marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016