Because

Because

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Jack's mom may tell him that "because" is not an answer, but he disagrees. In fact, this almost-six-year-old thinks "because" is the perfect answer . . . to any question!

Why did he cover himself in Band-Aids?

Why is the dog wearing a cape?

Why did he eat all the chocolate cake?

Richard Torrey's endearing companion to Almost and Why? celebrates every child's favorite answer to...more
Published June 7th 2011 by HarperCollins

Katie
Audience: Primary
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Book Talk:
Jack's mom may tell him that "because" is not an answer to every question. "Why did you eat all the cake?" "Why are you mad at the dog?" "Why is the cereal all over the floor?" His answer "because." If you like books that have the humor of the excuses kids make to their parents, you will love this book! This book reveals every child's favorite answer to life's trickiest questions.
Elisabeth
what it lacks in substance and story it makes up for with humor and cute redheaded boys. Simple text and bright illustrations might make this a good choice for story time. Would pair nicely with the "No David" books.
Tam
This was a fun book to read with my 4-year-old. The illustrations are cute and it was the kind of book with a lot of interaction. We were able to talk about what question we thought the little boy was answering on every page just by looking at the picture and hearing his answer.

It starts with a little boy standing on a chair reaching the cereal on top of the fridge and says, "My mom says 'because' is not a real answer. But I think it is."

You turn the page and there's the little boy with the cer...more
Dolly
Sep 11, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I felt a little bit like Johnny Carson's famous character, "Carnac the Magnificent" when we read this book. Each page has an answer with a humorous illustration that helped us come up with the appropriate question. We enjoyed thinking up what could be asked and why the boy did the things he did. The situations were very amusing and we could relate very well with several of them. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Jenilyn Braden
This book was okay. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. I did enjoy though how it was almost written from a child's perspective. He uses the word because to explain certain things he does, but the explanations are kind of silly. I think kids would think it was funny and be able to relate to it, because everyone has done something silly and made up a silly excuse to go along with it.
Dona
It is always fun when the pictures in a picture book tell the story. This book looks at life through the perspective of a young boy. The limited amount of text is there to lead the readers to conclusions but doesn't give the conclusions away, that is left to the reader.
Slee
This book with fun illustrations encourages children to explain how each explanatory statement relates to the picture. It reminds me of Jeapordy, with my son searching for the question summing up each image.
Melissa
Three stars if you read this with "Almost" and "Why," not quite as strong on its own. The Band-Aid page rocks. The best pair: "Because you're big and I'm little / Because I'm little and you're big."
Samantha
Funny, creative, and paired with great illustrations. Simple enough to make for a good read aloud and a fun choice for storytime due to its refrain of...because.
Michelle Nero
"Because" is an answer for this little guy. There is always a reason . . . looking forward to reading the other books by Richard Torrey (Why? and Almost)
Katie
Parents will find the humor in this one, as a little boy explains why the word "because" is the perfect answer to so many of his parents' questions!
Kate Hastings
Grades Pre-K to 1. When mom asks you why you did something, she says "because" isn't an answer. But this boy thinks it's okay. Because.
Bethe
Nice little story and illustrations, can see it used with a cause and effect lesson.

jennifer
The band-aids are awesome! And the bees! Super cute!!
Elizabeth
Narrative skills for storytime.

Thia
funny, why kids do things
Stefani
Sweet. Just because.
Ginny
Because why?
Cintia
Cintia marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Charlie Bryant
Charlie Bryant marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Apr 16, 2014
Agnes Chen
Agnes Chen marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Hayden
Hayden marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Jessica Kelly
Jessica Kelly marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014