Start by marking “Storm Rising (Kelli Storm #1)” as Want to Read:
Storm Rising (Kelli Storm #1)

Storm Rising (Kelli Storm #1)

When a murder investigation turns Detective Kelli Storm’s attention to a drug kingpin, the last thing she expected was to find a link to her father’s killer from twenty years earlier.
The Washington Height's neighborhood has turned deadly for NYPD detectives Kelli Storm and Bill Hayes.

A young woman is murdered and Kelli tracks the killer to a Gentleman’s Club in Manhattan
Kindle Edition, 2nd, 253 pages
Published August 27th 2015 by Three Worlds Press (first published May 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Storm Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storm Rising

The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Thrillers
2,517 books — 3,152 voters
Too Much Information by David  HaskellReckless Endangerment by Amber Lea EastonRiptide by Amber Lea EastonSon of a Serial Killer by Jams N. RosesBlue Coyote Motel by Dianne Harman
Recommended Thriller/Suspense
822 books — 973 voters

More lists with this book...

Craig McGray
Mar 14, 2013 Craig McGray rated it really liked it
Being the first I've read from Mr. Hoss, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by a well thought out main character and plot twists that keep me reading.

I am no expert in police procedures so I have no comments on the accuracy, however I enjoyed the details and they made sense to me. Mr. Hoss provided lots of action through I character that I enjoyed following along with.

There were a few minor editing issues that I picked up on but nothing that would take away from the story o
Joanna Doster
Jan 17, 2012 Joanna Doster rated it it was amazing
A MUST READ
Wow! A page turner. I stayed up until the wee hours glued to this exciting New York City police driven drama where Kenneth Hoss takes the reader on an exhilarating roller coaster ride, as he cleverly weaves a few murder cases together. His hero cop Kelli Storm gets to solve a cold case very close to her heart, while barely staying alive as she gets closer to taking down a major drug lord’s vast empire. A heart stopping race against time that is a wonderful read. It takes a special tal
Melanie Adkins
Apr 16, 2012 Melanie Adkins rated it it was amazing
Detective Kelli Storm has seen too much sadness in the last few years. She's lost her father, a partner and now her mother has Alzheimer's. Kelli's new partner Bill Hayes is someone she has a feeling will become a great detective one day. She likes him. Their first case together starts off badly. They are trying to nail down one of the biggest scumbags in town. The leads they get keep sending them no where. Suddenly they are caught in a whirlwind of trouble. Kelli shoots the girlfriend of the s ...more
Lanie Malone
Mar 03, 2012 Lanie Malone rated it really liked it
I thought this book had a pretty strong plot and it was definitely a page turner. I read most of it without realizing how fast it was going.

Kelli Storm is a likeable, believable character whom I think many people could relate to, even though we aren't all cops. Hoss gives a decent amount of background information for most of the supporting character, just enough to let you get a feel for them without taking too much of the spotlight away from Kelli.

My only complaints, and the reason that I didn'
Gail Baugniet
Aug 18, 2011 Gail Baugniet rated it it was amazing
The lead character in author Kenneth Hoss’s action-packed suspense novel, Storm Rising, is a no nonsense protagonist who takes a back seat to no one.

Detective Kelli Storm fights her own battles, whether she is on a stake-out with a rookie partner or in the heat of a showdown with male counterparts trailing in her wake. She doesn’t do patience well, especially when her snitch is late with information about a high ranking drug member who is also a murder suspect.

When the bad guys make things perso
CR Hiatt
Mar 28, 2012 CR Hiatt rated it it was amazing
Storm Rising by Kenneth Hoss was recommended to me from Amazon.com, based on some of my earlier reads. I found it to be fast-paced, and an enjoyable read.

Kelli Storm is a strong, and capable female lead, who can kick butt on her job, but struggles in her personal life. From the start of the story, she and her partner are on the hunt for a known drug dealer with a deadly reputation. At the same time, she is worried about her mother, who is in the early stages of Alzheimer's.

Complications arise, w
Nancy Silk
Nov 03, 2012 Nancy Silk rated it it was amazing
Kelli Storm is a female NYC detective. You might call her a cougar; but no, she's not an old lady on the hunt! She is a wildly obsessive detective who does not quit the hunt for the leader of the largest drug cartell in Columbia and Mexico. Miguel Garcia is the most powerful drug lord who brought death to her partner and his wife; he's linked to the death of her father who was also a detective. Attempts have been made on Kelli's life, too, as well as her mother being kidnapped from an assisted l ...more
Kayden Lee
Feb 02, 2012 Kayden Lee rated it really liked it
I recently came across Storm Rising, a mystery/thriller/suspense novel by Kenneth Hoss. As I am not generally drawn to detective centered stories, I probably would have passed on the book had I not heard such great things about it. I am glad that I trusted the reviews and read the book. Kenneth Hoss has managed to tell his story in a way which keeps the well written, fast paced saga interesting and entertaining.
Kelli Storm is a gritty, down to earth female protagonist who is determined to take c
David
Mar 01, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
In Kelli Storm, Kenneth Hoss has created a believable three dimensional character that will live long in the memory. She's not perfect. She can be impatient, bitchy and is prone to making rash decisions. But all this serves to round her up to feel like a living breathing person. She is also loyal, fiercely protective of the people she cares for, and courageous. After Detective Kelli shoots a powerful drug baron's daughter during a raid, she finds her whole life turned upside down. Following an a ...more
Sammy Sutton
Oct 13, 2012 Sammy Sutton rated it it was amazing
STORM RISING is the first focused police procedural novel I have read. Therefore, I received quite an education. I am always interested in stories that focus on drug lords and their cartels. This premise did not disappoint me. Kelli Storm is a wonderfully strong female character, a great cop with a personal life that is in shambles. Her character is easy to identify with in the scheme of her profession.

The author is clearly well informed and his characters and story are well-planned and believab
Carolyn Arnold
Jul 04, 2011 Carolyn Arnold rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Initial thoughts as I'm still reading it:
I love how Ken has personalized Kelli Storm in this novel. While he focuses on the investigations in the novel, he also takes time to just be with her. The interactions between other detectives, cops, the M.E. and suspects are very believable and realistic. Great job Ken!

***
Kenneth Hoss has a well-rounded character in Kelli Storm. Although, a tough and determined Detective, she has a vulnerability to her. His research and knowledge of police work show thr
Robert MacNeil
May 12, 2012 Robert MacNeil rated it it was amazing
I was first attracted to this book by the title, which I loved.
Storm Rising revolves around Kelli Storm, the strong female protagonist, as she tries to balance her complicated personal life with a life and death crisis in her career. She proved a strong lead, yet very human. I felt like I really got to know her.
The story grabbed my attention at the start and never let go. While my schedule required reading this book in several sittings, I could easily have read it in one.
I was glad to discover t
Peggy Holloway
May 13, 2013 Peggy Holloway rated it it was amazing
I think, for a first book, this book is very good. Kenneth Hoss has made the character very human and very female. How did a man do that? The story moves along at a good pace for me and doesn't drag in places like some books do. Also, he doesn't get caught up in detail about how they got from point A to point B, which is something that drives me crazy and something that many male authors tend to do. I think there could be more character development but believe that will come with more books. Kee ...more
Everett
Oct 21, 2011 Everett rated it really liked it
I'd like to say up front that I'm not a big fan of books with female protagonists. I've enjoyed a few over the years, and Kelli Storm is one I enjoyed reading about. She's depicted with what I feel is a realistic mix of feminine and cop-macho characteristics: she cries, swears, gets a lump in her throat, empties her clip at a bunch of bad guys...

Hoss's writing style is easy to read and the story follows Storm straight through, meaning it's easy to follow the action.

Give a serious look if you li
Lenora Rogers
Aug 22, 2012 Lenora Rogers rated it it was amazing
I got the first book read and really enjoyed it. I love the strong character of Kelli Storm. This woman shows strength and determination. Kelli goes after this dangerous drug kingpin at what ever cost it may have. I also like her gentle side in the care she has for her mother. There is plenty of drama to keep this book going and am excited about every page and cant wait to read more. So far I would have to say this book has the making of a television series, like Law and Order or CSI. I am alrea ...more
Sara Parkes
Jul 27, 2011 Sara Parkes rated it it was amazing
A really good book. I struggled to get into it initially (Not entirely sure why) but after 50 pages or so I got into it and found I couldn't put it down! Kelli Storm is a fascinating character, I actually think she would be fun enough and interesting enough to keep my interest even if the story wasn't that good but, she is coupled with not only a fantastic storyline too but really good writing.

Highly recommended.
Elyse Salpeter
May 31, 2012 Elyse Salpeter rated it it was amazing
I need to start by saying I really enjoy cop procedural novels and this one fits the bill perfectly. Kelli Storm is a complex character who is trying to be a good cop, find her father’s killer, while juggling demons and emotional issues that are beyond her control. She portrays a “tough as nails” personality to the world, but she is really incredibly vulnerable and that makes for a fascinating character. The novel is fast-paced, whippet quick at times, and very enjoyable.
Matthew Young
Oct 17, 2011 Matthew Young rated it really liked it
Great character development in Kelli Storm. She is a very real character, complete with faults. I found it hard to like her at times, but I think this was intended in order to make her more believable. Anyway, a good book.
Melissa ownsbey
Aug 26, 2013 Melissa ownsbey rated it it was amazing
good book it wsnt as good as the other 2 books in the series but it was good i still enjoyed it thanks for thee book
Daniel Ace
Sep 30, 2014 Daniel Ace rated it really liked it
This is what it is. A solid police procedural set in NYC. Kelli Storm is a very balanced character with her own flaws and issues which is refreshing.
Deb Hudella
Feb 17, 2015 Deb Hudella rated it it was amazing
Love Kelli

This author keeps things moving. Very entertaining. Kelli is a very independent female who is loving and tough at the same time. Good reading!
Richard Sandberg
Dec 20, 2014 Richard Sandberg rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable reading

I enjoyed reading this book. I like Kenneth Boss writing I will read more of his stuff.... Storm Warning here I come.
Coralyn
Sep 14, 2016 Coralyn rated it liked it
Enjoyable stories with a female detective somewhat marred by repetitive descriptions of her emotional reactions.
Lenora Rogers
Aug 22, 2012 Lenora Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kenneth Hoss
Sep 13, 2016 Kenneth Hoss rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
STORM RISING - A KELLI STORM NOVEL follows NYPD Detective Kelli Storm and her partner as they investigate several homicides in New York's Washington Heights neighborhood.

Written in the style of television shows like Law & Order and NYPD Blue, the book will draw the reader into the world of Kelli Storm. Kelli is a strong main character whom readers will either love or hate. She is driven to find her fathers killer, catch the bad guys, and keep a crazed drug cartel leader from killing her.

A m
Barbara
Dec 01, 2015 Barbara rated it liked it
I read the first three in this series and found them to be just OK. I felt as if Hoss did not really know how to write for a female lead character. She comes across as extremely harsh, and I could not warm up to her. I was particularly put off by her sleeping with a fellow investigator while engaged to a fellow police officer. The author also repeatedly described Storm and her actions in the very same language, over and over again.
David
David rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2012
Jasmina Karović
Jasmina Karović rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2013
Vidz
Vidz rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2014
Kenneth Hoss was born at Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth, Texas in 1957 to Albert and Mary Hoss. He served a combined total of fourteen years on active duty from 1974 to 1987 in both the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy. His tour in the Army took him to Frankfurt, Germany where he had the opportunity to travel Europe. While in the Navy, Kenneth spent most of his time stationed in San Diego and Long B ...more
More about Kenneth Hoss...

Kelli Storm (4 books)
  • Storm Warning (Kelli Storm #2)
  • Deadly Storm (Kelli Storm #3)
  • Eye of the Storm (Kelli Storm #4)