Start by marking “To Market, To Market big book” as Want to Read:
To Market, To Market big book

To Market, To Market big book

A simple trip to the market turns into utter chaos! What’s a poor shopper to do when her groceries have a mind of their own? Anne Miranda’s rhythmic and raucous text and Janet Stevens’s energetic multimedia illustrations come to life as never before in this new big book!
Big Book, 36 pages
Published July 11th 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

Allison
My favorite part is when the lamb ends up in the dishwasher.
Sara Andrews
Nov 05, 2014 Sara Andrews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books

“To Market, To Market,” is a brilliantly illustrated book that captures children’s attention immediately. The sing-song, rhyming pattern makes this story enjoyable to read and entertaining to listen to.

The story is about an old lady going to the market to buy different animals. As a reader, we are not exactly sure what she is going to do with all of these animals. It is inferred that she may possibly eat them, but the poor old lady can’t keep all of these animals under control under her roof. T
Elizabeth
Decided I had to upgrade this one. It's grown on me, since we read it about 103 times a day. And it promotes a vegetarian lifestyle, which is always a good thing.
Alexander Lee
Jan 23, 2017 Alexander Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because I like the market. I also enjoyed this book because there was a market in this book.
Lesley
Jun 02, 2016 Lesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-614
To Market, To Market is a funny parody of a traditional nursery rhyme. The book begins with the words of the traditional rhyme, but the illustrations immediately give the reader a clue about the wacky nature of the book. The first page shows an old woman dressed in many bright colors pushing a grocery cart that really can’t contain the fat, pink pig that she plans to purchase. After the first page, the words deviate from the traditional rhyme. The old lady returns to the market repeatedly, each ...more
Katie
Feb 08, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everone
This book is one of my and my son's (3 years) favorite books. I was astonished to see that it is not on the list. The author is from Boulder, CO which is local for us and we grabbed it from the library. We have probably read it 50 times and checked it out from the library 2 times.

The illustrations are hilarious and make both of use laugh out loud every time! That coupled with the fun rhymes make this an absolutely enjoyable book. The story and pictures inspire imagination and expose a hilarious
Donna Davis
May 24, 2013 Donna Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, ya, reviewed
The old rhyme (for those who didn't grow up with it) went like this:

"To market, to market,
To buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again,
Jiggety-jig".

The rhyme has further verses involving other animals that we infer are to be eaten, or produce something we may eat. Miranda takes it to a whole new (and vegetarian) level, but you don't have to be a vegetarian to find this book hysterically funny.

There is not much text on each page, and so it is suited to toddlers, but it could also be used beneath a
Sheeba Virani
A fun and hilarious way to teach children about cooking, healthy eating and rhyming words. The illustrations are amazing and very funny. The book is fun to read repeatedly in the class and to always have for children to look at in the library area.

Extension.
Once the book is read and benefits of home cooked meals with fresh produce have been discussed conduct a cooking session in the classroom with children. (Keep in mind allergies). The class could make soup as a group or make pancakes. Involve
Miss Pippi the Librarian
To Market, To Market to a buy a ... Author Anne Miranda takes readers on a jolly (yet frustrating) trip to the market. The classic song begins this tale, but it quickly runs out of hand. After numerous trips to the market, it's time to simplify life and make soup!

What a jolly, messy, rambunctious read! The gal goes to the market for meat, but ends up with live animals all over the house causing mayhem. At the end, every one (person and animals) works together to buy, cook, and eat soup. The illu
Peacegal
Sep 14, 2010 Peacegal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humane-education
The old "to market, to market" nursery rhyme gets a delightful and animal-friendly update.

An older woman visits her local market and brings home a succession of farm animals--ranging from a goose to a cow. After the mischievous critters wreck havoc on her home, the woman returns to the market--to buy all of the ingredients for a hearty vegetable soup to prepare for herself and her new friends!

The old nursery rhyme upon which this is based is, of course, a story about buying live animals at an o
Brittany
Anne Miranda's inventive twist on a classic rhyme tells what happens after a shopper goes "to market, to market, to buy a fat pig." Back home the pig promptly escapes, and soon the pig's in the kitchen, the lamb's on the bed, the cow's on the couch--and the rest of the animals are wreaking havoc throughout the house.

This was a funny book. I would use this book as more of an entertainment piece. I would probably have it as part of my library collection for students to read whenever they would lik
Ashley Cochran
This book is about a lady who goes to the store to buy some animals and goes home but every time she comes home, it’s a bigger and bigger disaster. She eventually takes them all to the grocery store with her and when they all go to the grocery store, they get all the food they need to make soup and they finally get to have a yummy lunch in a messy, messy house. I would use this book for entertainment and to show the students that when you work as a team, you accomplish more together than alone.
Xaka
Oct 31, 2010 Xaka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Mother Goose tales and nursery rhymes when I was a kid and that love has never waned. This is a retelling of To Market To Market (To Buy A Fat Pig), but it is nothing like the original (in a good way).

The illustrations are FABULOUS! Black and white backgrounds with colored characters added in...it was a joy to simply look through this book.

The retelling is humorous. The book doesn't end the way you might expect, so if you like surprises, nursery rhymes, and good artwork, this book will
Skye Kilaen
May 06, 2016 Skye Kilaen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is SO ridiculous (in a good way). Color paintings superimposed over black and white photographs of a grocery store show the escalating chaos at a woman's house as she makes repeated trips to the store for various animals. I swear, I've had days that felt just like hers. When she finally ends up with her glasses knocked off and a duck on her head, the animals take her to the store to get the stuff for vegetable soup. Awwww! One of our favorite picture books about food and cooking (and c ...more
Marina
Feb 25, 2014 Marina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"To market, to market,
To buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again,
Jiggety-jig".
This is s fun and hysterically hilarious book that helps to teach children about cooking, healthy eating and rhyming words. The illustrations are amazing and very funny. The book is fun to read repeatedly in the class and to always have for children to look at in the library area. All the animals are live and they make mischief once home. I like how this book is related to the real life!
Jasmine Robinson
Sep 02, 2013 Jasmine Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhyming-books
This book is about a lady going shopping; the food she happens to buy are live animals. She tries to cook them, but it does not work out so she goes back to the market. This book is a fun and exciting way to show children the joys of cooking and how to cook. The fun part about the book and cooking is that the animals are alive and usually when you cook animals they are already dead. This book would be great for kindergarteners and helping them with their rhyming words.
Asho
The illustrations in this book are really cool. The illustrator juxtaposed colorful drawings of the characters with black-and-white photo collages of the grocery store and kitchen, which makes for a neat effect. There is a ton to look at and talk about in these pages. I love the illustrations of the animals, especially of the pig. The story of animals running amuck is entertaining, too. I'll have to remember to check this one out again when my son is a bit older and can really appreciate it.
Bethany Lovhaug
This book has a clever spin on the nursery rhyme "To Market, To Market to buy a fat pig..." All the animals she buys tears her house apart, so she settles for some vegetable soup.
The rhyming text (set in playful typography, with red boldface for emphasis) does a great job of offsetting the original text into a more fun and playful version that will have kids laughing..."To market, to market, for one stubborn goat. The duck flew the coop and the goat ate my coat!"
Audrey Galiardi
Jan 22, 2013 Audrey Galiardi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the illustrations in this book! I love how Janet Stevens uses real pictures and hand drawn/illustrated pictures together! When I read this book I segment the sounds of the animals involved ex: to market to market to buy a fat p/i/g. I have the kids listen to the segmented sounds and practice blending them together. The have a blast doing it. Some are fun b/c they are challenging such as okra...most don't know what okra is!
Sabrina
Opportunity cost, goods and services
Grades K-3

This book is a great story about opportunity cost and goods and services. The woman goes to the store to buy different animals at good prices but her opportunity cost was the peace she once had at home before she purchased all the animals. The animals are out of control and she now wishes she did not purchase all of them at the same time. Very entertaining story for younger children while teaching a lesson on opportunity cost.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Great text, brilliant illustrations, lovely book! The text is short and attractive enough for the youngest babies while the illustrations contain enough content/visual information to delight older readers too. The style of the black and white photographs and brightly-colored, humourous characters on a white background is perfect for conveying the chaos as the images move around the page. Fabulous job!
Janet
Mother Goose rhyes are part or should be of a child's early learning experiences. This delightful take off on the Mother Goose rhyme "To Market, To Market" is a chaotic romp through the market purchasing animals and the ensuing chaos at home. Subperb illustrations--especially the woman with purple shoes and glasses as well as the duck on her head. This is tons of fun.
Sarah M.
The best part of the book, for me, was the illustrations. By using the animals, the author wil catch the attention of the children. The behavior of the animals also could be similar to behavior of children. Elementary teachers could use the book for lessons on animals, markets, culture, and fantasy.
Chris Young
Jul 12, 2011 Chris Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An elderly woman makes trips to the market to buy animals (presumably to eat) but upon returning each time finds that the animals have run amok in her absence. This rhyming, cumulative folktale would be a joy to read aloud and is only enhanced by Janet Stevens' creative integration of original artwork and photography.
jacky
This was read at story time today. It was alright, but not exactly my cup of tea. (Natalie was too busy walking around to have an opinion). The chaos of the all the animals reminded me a little of The Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly, which always gave me the creeps. The events were silly, but, I don't know, too realistic maybe? This one just didn't jive with me.
Hye Eun
Mar 19, 2011 Hye Eun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, animal, sequencing
I think this book would be good for sequencing events. Different animals appear so they can try to remember the order. The illustration is very colorful and funny. I think kids will really like such illustration. I was happy that the lady indeed get to make the soup at the end. I would recommend it to pre-k through first grade.
Amanda
Jun 08, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Megumi
Shelves: kid-s-books
Very cute! It starts with the common nursery rhyme, but devolves into a whole lot of animals and even more messiness. Much fun for mom, at least. My son liked it, asked for it again when I was done, so I'd say a winner. The tie in to cooking didn't hurt. Since I just read "Too Many Cooks", it has some similarities without the specific French cooking terms.
Ina
Jun 25, 2012 Ina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
For any food-based story time this book is a must-read. A wild variation on the nursery rhyme "To Market, To Market" this is one wild, hysterically funny version. All the animals are live and they make mischief once home. My story time audience LOVED this one and laughed out loud at the wonderful illustrations. Fun to read, with rhyming text, this is a real winner
Sarah Ashburn
May 30, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language-play
I really enjoyed the phonemic sound use in this children's book. I think that the repetition of "to market to market" is good for young readers and the rhyming of the words can help them hear many sounds that make up many of the words in the english language. Since there are many words that share similar sounds with one another, it helps children to hear these sounds in different words.
Kim
Aug 22, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, laptime, rhyming
I love it when old nursery rhymes are made into books. The rhymes are sort of dying out and some of them are still worth looking at. This story is a favorite of my two year old niece and I'll be using it in a storytime soon.
  • Mouse Mess
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • What Pet To Get?
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug Pop-Up
  • Three Little Kittens
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • The Scarecrow's Hat
  • Down by the Station
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat
  • Lunch
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!