Start by marking “Ghaddar the Ghoul and Other Palestinian Stories” as Want to Read:
Ghaddar the Ghoul and Other Palestinian Stories

Ghaddar the Ghoul and Other Palestinian Stories

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Why do snakes eat frogs? What makes a man-eating ghoul turn vegetarian? And how can a woman make a bored prince smile? The answers to these and many other questions can be found in this delicious anthology of Palestinian folk tales collected and retold by Sonia Nimr. A wry sense of humour runs through the characterful women, genial tricksters and mischievous animals who ma ...more
Published February 4th 2008 by Frances Lincoln Children's Bks (first published February 4th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ghaddar the Ghoul and Other Palestinian Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghaddar the Ghoul and Other Palestinian Stories

Emma Reed
Jul 17, 2014 Emma Reed rated it really liked it
This is a charming, interesting and easy read (designed for children) with nice illustrations and a witty tone.
Graham
Dec 28, 2012 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, the 100th book in the reading challenge; a book that I found in a tiny bookshop in a back street of Winchester. How can you turn down a book that starts with Ghadddar the Ghoul and his magic three hairs, and then goes on to talk about dreams, magic horses and glowing feathers, dancing jasmine and singing water, the reasons for snakes eating frogs, foxes outwitting wolves, and the wonderfully surreal story that starts and ends with lies. Great for bedtime reading; great to have more stories t ...more
Yumi Learner
Oct 09, 2012 Yumi Learner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A couple of days ago I read this book. The book has a lot of mythologies from an Arabic country. When I read the stories, I felt very nostalgic because the mythologies and Japanese ones were so similar. They reminded me of my mom reading me a lot of Japanese stories when I was a kid. They also reminded me of me reading my daughter them.
I like reading mythologies because they are always Falstaffian.
Leonca
Oct 10, 2014 Leonca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, mythology
A delightful, light-hearted collection full of heroes and humor. I especially enjoyed the stories featuring ghouls. It always cracks me up how quickly they turn from wanting to eat you alive to talking politely when you do something nice for them.
Reham
Nov 30, 2012 Reham rated it it was amazing
I already know most of the stories told, but never get to read them in such a book, in which they're written very beautifully and simply. I admire such works that help preserving our folk heritage.
Shaun
Jun 02, 2013 Shaun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun stuff. Folk tales from other cultures is always a blast to read. The only real problem I have with this collection is that it's too short.
Shaun
Feb 14, 2015 Shaun rated it liked it
This was a fun and interesting collection of folk tales. Great material for anyone interested in stepping outside the western cannon.
Benjamin
Jan 19, 2016 Benjamin rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of Palestinian folk tales. Many of them had me laughing out loud, which happens rarely.
Aischa
Nov 10, 2010 Aischa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute. An nice little book of Palestinian stories. Cute size;cute illustrations.
Chacha Centeno
Chacha Centeno marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Rana Hijawi
Rana Hijawi marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Dalia Aboul Atta
Dalia Aboul Atta marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Amanie
Amanie marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Mazhar Hmaidan
Mazhar Hmaidan marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Duja Dabdoub
Duja Dabdoub marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Zayneea
Zayneea rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
Nopie
Nopie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it did not like it
May 03, 2015
Brendan James
Brendan James marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Phiona Kari
Phiona Kari marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Susan Rhodewalt
Susan Rhodewalt marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Marwa Abdallah
Marwa Abdallah rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Abe Sammy
Abe Sammy marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Deema Abdulsalam
Deema Abdulsalam marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Bb Habibibi
Bb Habibibi rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2014