My Mama's Dead Squirrel: Lesbian Essays on Southern Culture

My Mama's Dead Squirrel: Lesbian Essays on Southern Culture

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A down-home insider's look at the South she lives in, struggles with and loves.
Published July 1st 1990 by Firebrand Books (first published October 1985)

To ask other readers questions about My Mama's Dead Squirrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Mama's Dead Squirrel

Zillah Gashleycrumb
Jun 21, 2010 Zillah Gashleycrumb is currently reading it
I learned that poor reviews of this book prompted Dorothy Allison to write "Trash", a collection of short stories that I love. I feel obliged to read this, too.
A. Gamble
Truly, I thought this book would be a collection of humorous and heart-breaking memoirs, so the inclusion of, among other works, criticism of the Southern Gothic genre from a lesbian feminist point of view surprised and unnerved me. Segrest's personal accounts of her family and childhood are often hilarious and serve as much-needed buffers between thought-provoking essays. While I remain a fan of Faulkner and O'Connor, not to mention modern Southern Gothic authors not considered in these essays...more
Qilo
Mab Segrest is one of my heros! esp with a title like this one. She tracks her development of analysis from '77 to '85 though this series of essays. I respect her for including perspectives that she moved on from later, esp around her broadening feminism. It's amazing to read feminist lesbian anti-racist southern white work from that era. I keep learning more about the rise of gay bashing and KKK influence in central North Carolina as I was running around pre-school playgrounds nearby.
HeavyReader
If I remember correctly, I picked up a copy of this book at a used bookstore in Providence, Rhode Island.

I think this book is a good companion read with the essays of Minnie Bruce Pratt, another white Southern who is also a lesbian and an anti-racist.

I remember these essays were both funny and thought provoking.
Mary
This is the 2nd book I've read by Ms. Segrest and I found this one a bit easier to get through and also it held my attention longer. Short essays, written by Mab about being a lesbian in the South. While it was published in 1985, much of what she writes about it still relevant today.
Lex
Lex marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Adriane
Adriane marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Kat Trina
Kat Trina marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Zoë Ruiz
Zoë Ruiz marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Mariah
Mariah marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Jean
Jean added it
Feb 15, 2014
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Kathleen Sparks
Kathleen Sparks marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Alex Rosenberg
Alex Rosenberg marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Ntanya
Ntanya added it
Jul 20, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Rachel I.
Rachel I. marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Aleshia Hutchison
Aleshia Hutchison marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
Janine Mahraun
Janine Mahraun marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mabelle ("Mab) Massey Segrest is an American feminist, lesbian, writer, and activist.

Born in Alabama, Segrest received her Ph.D. in Modern British Literature from Duke University in 1979 and was appointed the Fuller-Matthai Professor of Gender & Women's Studies at Connecticut College in 2004.

Segrest is often recognized for her efforts combatting sexism, racism, homophobia, classism, and other...more
More about Mab Segrest...
Memoir of a Race Traitor Born to Belonging: Writings on Spirit and Justice All Out of Faith: Southern Women on Spirituality The Making and Unmaking of Whiteness