Start by marking “Hearing The Measures: Shakespearean And Other Inflections” as Want to Read:
Hearing The Measures: Shakespearean And Other Inflections

Hearing The Measures: Shakespearean And Other Inflections

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  1 Review
An eminent scholar's guide to hearing poets' work

When we listen to the words of a poet in the theater, or read them silently on the page, what is it that we hear? How do such crafty writers as Shakespeare or Donne, Wyatt or Yeats, Wordsworth or Lowell arrange their rhythms to make their poetry more expressive? A gathering of perceptive essays written over twenty-five year
Published March 14th 2002 by University of Wisconsin Press (first published January 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hearing The Measures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hearing The Measures

Jun 26, 2016 Keith rated it liked it
I searched out this book with some enthusiasm after enjoying Wright’s wonderful Shakespeare’s Metrical Art. (See my review here: This collection of essays, though, was not as interesting.

Wright’s book on Shakespeare was full of eye-opening revelations about the Bard’s work, but also poetry and iambic pentameter in general. The focus(es) of this book is much narrower.

“Hendiady in Hamlet” is one of the more interesting essays, offering insight into this