Start by marking “Ai Weiwei Speaks” as Want to Read:
Ai Weiwei Speaks

Ai Weiwei Speaks

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Published July 13th 2011 by Penguin Global (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ai Weiwei Speaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ai Weiwei Speaks

Matt
I purchased this book after watching Ai Weiwei's (AWW) 2012 documentary "Never Sorry" (twice) on Netflix. I'm an admirer of AWW and his views on art, politics, and freedom of expression. However, while this book -- or rather an extended set of transcribed interviews with Hans Ulrich Obrist (HUO) -- had a few moments where AWW had the opportunity to let his deeper thoughts flow, they were few and far between.

As other comments have noted, there are several instances of bizarre repetition. For exa
David
felt guilty about walking past st marks bookstore, so i picked this up as a cheap introduction to hans ulrich obrist. i've thought about grabbing one of his other collections, but thought this an easy start. overall i was a bit underwhelmed. fits nicely on the heels of all the "too much curating" conversation. he's a curator who began as an interviewer. as such, i'd expect more of an interrogator and a questioner. this is more of the leonard lopate, "pick ten questions and ask them and barely se ...more
IJROTH
We met in one of my most favorite places in Europe: The Museum Shop at TATE Modern, London. We spend some time together, intensive sessions, once in a local pub, over beer and fish&chips, then during our train ride back to the airport. The second time we met, he had home advantage. It was a Chinese coffee shop in Shanghai; now definitely one of my favorite places in Asia.

‘Seeker’, with its mysterious and dead-on name near Ferguson Lane, has the special charm of an old Scottish house with wor
Janet
Immediately read this book after visiting the According To What exhibit. There is no other book I have read which has more dog ears than this one so it's a challenge to choose one summarizing quote.Ai WeiWei is more than an artist; he makes one think. Hopefully more will act. I have discovered just the tip of the iceberg but it has made me think of the people of China, Syria, Egypt and all other silenced, oppressed places on the planet.

"We are living in an era in which nothing is clear, and a so
Lisa
Very disappointing. Ai Wewei is such an interesting cultural figure, but these interviews are so lightweight that they only touch on the surfaces of what he's done as opposed to providing deeper insights.
Caterina Pierre

This small collection of interviews between Ai Weiwei and Hans Ulrich Obrist is a worthy read for anyone interested in contemporary art. I think the most interesting and informative interview was the fourth one in the book, called "The Retrospective." I learned the most about Ai Weiwei and his process in this interview. My only complaints are: (1) the book needs to be updated; the interviews seemed old, and (2) some of the interview questions are repetitive. But it is a great primary source tex
Hannah
If I were to read it for the first time again, I would read each of the interviews on a separate day, like a 5-day marathon. The interviews cover some of the same ground, which is not really a problem, because the discussions are usually different. But since it's such a slim volume, I read it in one sitting, and got a little bit bored when I read what is essentially the same sentence a few times within the space of an hour. But the only problem with that is my method of reading, not the actual i ...more
Jovanna Venegas
Really small book that you could read in a day, it includes several interviews with artist/architect/writer Ai Weiwei. It mainly focuses on his architectural projects but it includes a lot on his thoughts on the current political and social situation in China. Highly recommend to those who don't know much about his work it can work as a small introduction.
Patrick B.
Meh. Kinda of boring interview questions, and the responses don't translate well. I don't know if its Ai Weiwei's bad English or simply a poor translation. He sounds like a super interesting guy, but there's probably better sources out there from which to learn about him.
Jeffrey
Excellent series of interviews with master interviewer Hans Ulrich Obrist - the more you read about this man, the more you wonder!
Vincent Eaton
Was hoping for more insights and excitement than this collection of interviews offered.
Mugren Ohaly
An interesting read, but quite a bit of the content kept reappearing.
Paula
El personaje da mucho más de si. Falta chicha.
Very Interesting read. Loved it!
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Nestor Vicente
Nestor Vicente marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Flo Kraeftner
Flo Kraeftner is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2014
Traci Lee
Traci Lee marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Krystal A
Krystal A marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Kent Grongstad
Kent Grongstad marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Atmospheres: Architectural Environments - Surrounding Objects
  • Project Japan. Metabolism Talks...
  • Looking Around: A Journey Through Architecture
  • Ghana: Autobiography of Kwame Nkrumah
  • Perspective as Symbolic Form
  • Sun, Wind & Light: Architectural Design Strategies
193922
Ai Weiwei is a Chinese contemporary artist, active in blogging, sculpture, installation, architecture, curating, photography, film, and social, political and cultural criticism.

Ai collaborated with Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron as the artistic consultant on the Beijing National Stadium for the 2008 Olympics.

As a political activist, he has been highly and openly critical of the Chinese Go
More about Ai Weiwei...
Weiwei-Isms Ai Weiwei's Blog: Writings, Interviews, and Digital Rants, 2006-2009 Sunflower Seeds So Sorry Macht euch keine Illusionen über mich: Der verbotene Blog