Fire and Blood

Fire and Blood

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Beneath the fiery gaze of her captor, Caitlin finds herself bound by the only enemy she could not defeato-her passionate nature. Caitlin, the renegade female pirate plundering Spanish galleons on the high seas, initially despised Trey Cameron, the man commissioned by the queen to tame her. As he forces her to conform to an appropriately feminine role, wearing gowns and per...more
ebook
Published by eReads.com (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Fire and Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire and Blood

Benjamin
This is my second reading of this fabulous book about Mexican history written by my favorite historian.

Some have criticized the author for over-arguing his points, that he may have had issues with his ideas taken by others. Perhaps I misunderstood the reviewer, but I did not get that in my reading.

Be prepared: it is a detailed book in that it is full of information written in his superlative narrative style. I recommend it highly.

Mexico has often baffled me, and this book clears away much of th...more
Dad (Fred) Hansen
I first read this book over 30 years ago as an undergraduate at BYU. It was one of the books on my reading sylabus for a history class on the post-conquest survey history of Latin America. Of all the books that I have read on Mexico, this book is probably the best,single-volume history of Mexico from pre-Spanish Conquest through mondern day.

My second full reading of this book occurred in the summer of 2002, just after I returned to California after a 25+ year sojourn in southern Louisiana. When...more
Kim
This is just the book for an English speaker interested in a detailed history of Mexico. Fehrenbach presents a comprehensive story that doesn't compromise the details of civilization from the Olmecs to PRI. I don't agree with some of his commentary on relatively recent events, but after all the book was published in 1973. This is an excellent source of information that is written in a style that doesn't put off the casual history reader, and encourages one to continue the study of this wonderful...more
Joe
Apr 05, 2009 Joe is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive review of Mexico's history from pre columbian time to modern day. Bias is apparent by the author's use of value laden comments regarding the Mexican character and culture. On the US the author has little but good things to say, regarding American involvement in Mexican affairs, certainly a controversial view by many, including me. Still, I recommend this book as a primer on Mexican history.
Linda
Author presents one interpretation of Mexican history. He makes the case for a Mexico that has taken on less than productive habits from lazy/wealth-seeking/unproductive conquistadores. The weakness born from this is used to explain events in Mexican history thereafter. He also is on a mission to reject other interpretations and is very clearly a realist. My advice: take this with a grain salt and enjoy the story.

The first 400 pages of the book were very good, very interesting. It is highly deta...more
Noah Diewald
This book is entertaining but tainted by a strange bias and paranoia. The author is in constant battle with unknown scholarly adversaries as he works his somewhat insulting tale of Mexican history. He is particularly hostile to the idea that Mexicans might look to indigenous culture as being important in the development of modern Mexican culture. At the same time, he writes in an entertaining fashion and to the best of my knowledge gets the facts in order. It is disappointing that no references...more
Tracie
Excellent history of Mexico. I did not know much of Mexico's history past the Spanish Conquest so it was very interesting to gain that knowledge of what came next. Definitely a lot of sad history and I wanted to tear my hair out every time the Mexican people put Santa Anna back in power; they turned power over to him at least 4 times even after he had proven a destructive and terrible leader. The author did a great job of really explaining cultural differences and painting a whole picture rather...more
Greg Stoll
This book is a very thorough history of Mexico. It's also quite long (~600 pages of small print), and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It starts in prehistory and ends up in the 1980s with the PRI. Very informative!
Thomas
fantastic. started reading it because of its great section about Cortez and the fall of the Aztec Empire, but this book is so much more. this is a non-fictional equivalent of blood Meridian, by Cormack McCarthy.
Eric
Reasonable introduction to Mexican history. More citations would have been helpful. Would also have appreciated more discussion of the second half of the 20th century.
Jimi Gilroy
Very good descriptions of conquest and very dense descriptions of smaller political upheavals in Mexican government that have led to the current state.
Eduardo
I thought this would have been much better with some editing -- I expected something along the lines of Camín, Zavala, or O'Gorman, but alas.. it was not..
Donn Hall
Excellent first history of Mexico. Provided inspiration to read about specific periods of Mexican History.
Simon
very factual very detailed. a bit too detailed for a first read in mexican history.
Diane
A grand history of Mexico.
Wickstrom
Wickstrom marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Kruz
Kruz is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Conor Sheehan
Conor Sheehan marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Ben Ernst
Ben Ernst marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Rhefta
Rhefta marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Marc
Marc is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
Reis
Reis added it
Aug 07, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Marv
Marv marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Andrew Hall
Andrew Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
This Kind of War Lone Star: A History Of Texas And The Texans Comanches: The Destruction of a People Greatness to Spare: The Heroic Sacrifices of the Men Who Signed the Declaration of Independence Texas: A Salute From Above