Start by marking “The Heart of Devin MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Heart of Devin MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #3)

The Heart of Devin MacKade (The MacKade Brothers #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,831 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
HE WAS THE ONLY MacKADE WHO MOVED SLOW

Sheriff Devin MacKade had always had his eye on Cassie Connor Dolin. Twelve years of trying to watch over her and her children. Twelve years of being the dependable friend, of seeing his beauty married to a beast. Twelve years of hell.

Now he was going to change, although he knew he'd have to be careful, move slow. But if Cassie came an
Published June 20th 2011 by Silhouette Desire (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of Devin MacKade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of Devin MacKade

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Freed by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
Best Love Story
344th out of 1,068 books — 1,513 voters
Fallen Too Far by Abbi GlinesInevitable by Angela  GrahamHopeless by Colleen HooverOn Dublin Street by Samantha YoungSlammed by Colleen Hoover
Best Romance Novels by Indie Authors
268th out of 290 books — 510 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann Keller
Jul 09, 2012 Ann Keller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Lovely Cassie Connor married the man she thought was the image of her dreams, but Joe was quick to anger and abusive. Cassie endured years of brutal beatings, hiding the truth and the bruises from her friend, Sheriff Devin MacKade and from all of the townspeople, too. However, when Joe took his anger out on their two kids, it was over. Joe was locked away in prison and Cassie mercifully granted a divorce.

So, Cassie and her kids started over, but their emotional scars took a long time to heal. No
valee
Aug 26, 2011 valee rated it it was amazing
Sigh *** What will I do once I finish this series? Only one more book, *sniff. I just don't want it to end, I'm having such a great time with it.

Again I wasn't disappointed by this series. This book was everything I wanted it to be. I had been wanting to read about Devin and Cassie since I started this series, so you guys can imagine I was exhilarated once I got my hands on this book.
Devin MacKade is the town's Sheriff, former bad boy who nobody ever thought would make something important of
KatiD
Jan 19, 2012 KatiD rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-review-ish
I picked up The Heart of Devin MacKade because I was interested to see his heroine, Cassie Dolin, who is introduced in the first book as a victim of domestic violence, get her HEA. Cassie married Joe Dolin young and stupidly. Joe is pretty much a good for nothing, who drinks too much, gets fired from even the most menial of jobs, and knocks his wife around for anything and everything. In the first MacKade book, The Return of Rafe MacKade, Cassie finally presses charges against Joe for battery an ...more
Jacob Proffitt
I had high(er) hopes for this one than the others in the series—after all, Devin can't really afford to be a rage-monkey with Cassie what with her history of being in an abusive relationship. Unfortunately, not so much. Well, he's not really a rage-monkey and he's never abusive. But I expected . . . gentler from him than we get. The plotting is more or less what you'd expect and I'm glad to have a wrap up, finally, to the Joe Dolan plotline, but I just wanted more.
Amber
Jul 25, 2011 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good, but not great. My biggest issue with the book was (view spoiler) I am not inspired to try another Nora Roberts, unfortunately. The hero and heroine (and kiddos) were all a bit too perfect.
Rebekah
Sep 04, 2012 Rebekah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Heart of Devin MacKade, OR, Romantic Protagonist and Domestic Abuse & Rape Survivor Cassie Dolan Goes From One Frying Pan to Another, Sexier Frying Pan.

I can't even call her a romantic heroine because I did not give two shits about her, she just happened to be one of the lead characters. It's great that you and Devin can finally bone after like 15 years of him creepily pining for you, but maybe you should spend some time examining what you want, what you really really want, and not just
Amanda Sheila
I'm officially in love with Nora Roberts. I think I'll soon add a shelf solely to her books, after I finished at least ten of them. So far, four! Haha.

Anyway, why this book received five stars? Because Devin and Cassie's relationship is the one that elevate from one level to another through the whole series. I can read their innocent banter in Rafe's and the way Devin showed his affection in Jared's. That's why this book is very deep to me.

I liked the way Nora Roberts put the words together in
 Mary

Sheriff Devin MacKade... el único MacKade que es paciente. Aunque su paciencia lo lleva a esperar doce años a la mujer que siempre amó. Cassie Connor vío en el matrimonio con Joe Doblin la vía de escape de su acartonada y fría familia, a los 17 años cree estar locamente enamorada y saber todo lo que es el amor y el matrimonio, tiene la esperanza de que su vida con Joe será perfecta; pero desde la noche de bodas comienzan los abusos físicos y mentales. Diez años después, sus dos hijos son la únic
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Devin MacKade knew it was his destiny to serve and protect the small town of Antietam, Maryland. And he always suspected his future should have little Cassie Connor in it. After Cassie married the wrong man, Devin tried to convince himself there would be other women, other loves. Now, after Cassie’ s divorce, Devin can finally follow his heart. But can Cassie follow hers?" (From Amazon)

We are introduced to Devin and Cassie earlier in the series and can see the sparks between the two thou
Titinha Scaeiro
o 4º livrinho para o desafio doce...

Mais um livro que tinha lido em ebook manhoso e que não me lembrava de como a história era linda...
Simplesmente amei este 3º livro, é difícil não amar o Devin e gostar muito Cassie... Adorei mesmo!!!

E agora vou-me atirar ao último da série... Do irmão mais novo... ^_^
Geo Marcovici
Apr 13, 2016 Geo Marcovici rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O carte emotionanta! Despre trecerea peste abuzuri fizice, despre revenirea la viata...
Si despre iubire! O iubire pe care o ascunsese timp de 12 ani!!!
Recenzia mea completa o găsiți aici: https://justreadingmybooks.wordpress....
Gaby Franz
Jul 09, 2015 Gaby Franz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó mucho pero fue muy corto. Unas paginas más no habrían venido mal y sobre todo un epílogo.
Espero saber más de Cass y Devin en el siguiente libro.
Wendy
Nov 13, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Devin Mackade you are a gem!
Cathy Ryan
It was pretty obvious that Devin and Cassie were going to end up with each other at some point even though, after twelve years of just being her friend, Devin thought Cassie was lost to him but still, I loved the story. It has a little more depth and emotion due to the subject matter of domestic violence and abuse, especially as children are involved.

Nora Roberts is so good at writing scenes that pull at the heart-strings and I love the way Devin gains the trust and love of Cassie’s children. Af
Estara
Jun 01, 2012 Estara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary small town romance
Aurelia Rowl

This one rates slightly higher than the previous two on account of making my heart pound for a variety of reasons.

My only issue with the series so far is the similarities to the Inn Boonsboro trilogy. Now onto book 4.
Darbi Bradley
Apr 04, 2014 Darbi Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My very first by La Nora! Can totally see how all the authors I love now were inspired by her, it's fab!
♥ Nell ♥
Loved Devin and Cassie. But I especially loved Connor and Emma!
Deepika Kumaaraguru
The Heart of Devin MacKade bloomed to becoming my most favourite instalment of the MacKade brothers. I’m someone who cringes at the very word of ghost and didn’t expect paranormal activity to be surplus in this romantic series my bestie recommended. But in Rafe, on encountering the scene Regan undergoes a spooky episode at the Barlow place, I almost stopped reading from fear but on my bestie’s reassurance nothing in here was related to horror, I pressed on.

And slaphappy about the ordeal. It’s n
Cruth
Author: Nora Roberts
First published: 1996
Length: 213 pages
Setting: Contemporary. Antietam, Maryland.
Sex: Explicit. Reasonably frequent.
Hero: Sherrif
Heroine: Innkeeper
Paranormal: A haunted inn.

A lovely addition to the quartet. Sweet. Easy. Good characters. Less paranormal than previous books. Nothing to fault.

3.5 stars rounded up.

The MacKade Brothers:
Book 1 The Return of Rafe MacKade (1995) - Rafe MacKade and Regan Jones
Book 2 The Pride of Jared MacKade (1995) - Savannah Morningstar and Jared Mac
Nenya
Jul 21, 2015 Nenya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: annoying
What is wrong with me... I used to love this genre! And now, I read it and go, ugh, another cribby small town! The poor battered h! That theme is more battered and worse for wear than the h, who still looks like a princess (newsflash: in real life, those ravages show on your face!)

useless immature jocks, pretending to be alphas... grr...

He'd told other women he loved them. He wouldn't have denied it. The fact was that he'd tried to love other women. He'd worked hard at it for a space of time. T
Ayu Wirdha
Dari buku 1 sdh kelihatan sih kalau Cassie bakalan dipasangkan dengan Devin.

Tema utamanya sih kekerasan rumah tangga. I wonder, selama ini yg sy baca mengenai pelaku adalah mereka tidak akan berhenti menteror korbannya bahkan setelah dilaporkan ke polisi. Bahkan sampai2 korban hrs melarikan diri & membuat identitas palsu hanya utk hidup lebih tenang & aman. Apakah memang polisi & masyarakat tdk dpt melindungi korban sehingga jalan satu2nya hrs salah satu ada yg tewas?

Joe Dolin, dgn k
Kelly
Mar 25, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two things kept this book from being 5-stars: 1. Devin having been in love with the heroine for 12 years. I love an unrequited love, slow burn hero, but at some point in those 12 years he had to have not actively been "in love" with her, right? When he dated other girls, slept with other girls, told other girls he loved them? Something about that makes it all a little skeezy if he was doing that but still in love with Cassie. I know Cassie was married, so he felt he had no chance with her. I can ...more
Pam
May 06, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Heart of Devin MacKade is by Nora Roberts. It is the third book in the four book series.
Devin has known he wanted to be the sheriff and serve the community of Antietam, Maryland. Now he has finally gotten his wish and is the sheriff. He knew he wanted to live his life with Cassie Connor; but he missed his chance and she married another.
Cassie has returned home to find herself. She has no intention of finding another husband. What is she going to do about Devin MacKade now?
Makenzie
Another good installment of this series. Good triumphs over evil, and hot guy finally gets a chance at the girl he's pined over for more than a decade.

It was a cute story, and I loved Devin's interactions with the kids, but I swear that man has more mood swings than a menopausal woman! That was the only thing that irked me. He was sweet and patient one day and then furious and throwing in the towel the next.

But overall....a sweet story. And a good lead up to Shane's story!
Sjaakroger
WHIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DEVIN EN CASSIEEEE

JAJAJA
Deze shit was nice

Devin is zo nice voor Cassie en het is gewoon zulke goede shit ;c
En ze is zo adorable en het is precies wat ik verwachtte maar nicer

En eerder was ik zeer ongeïnteresseerd in Shane, maar nu wil ik hem zien zwijmelen over een vrouw en hem zien zwichten MWUHAHAHAHA

EN Devin en Cassie baby's, ik wil ze.
Wendy
Apr 01, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance, e-book, 2014
This whole series is my romance catnip, I swear. This one has what Sarah Wendell of Smart Bitches, Trashy Books calls a hero "who keeps his feelings to himself not because he's angry that he has them, but because he doesn't think the heroine would welcome his attentions, or that his feelings for her are good for her." He knows he has feelings. Every one of his brothers and every one of their wives knows he has feelings. Mutual friends recognize the feelings. Heck, random strangers walking by on ...more
Elizabeth
Nora Roberts is one of the best selling romance (and fiction generally) authors of all times, yet I’ve not yet found a book of hers that has engaged me. Granted, the sample size is not large but this book did not work despite recommendations from a number of bloggers whom I trust.

The hero is the alpha male sheriff, which is just not the type of character that interests me. The heroine is slightly more interesting - a woman who ended her abusive marriage but doesn’t know if she can handle love a
Mareli
Jul 03, 2011 Mareli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one. True to be told I was expecting something more, something more dramatic to close the horrible marriage the heroine felt conpelled to have vey young.

But the story is sweet and you'll have to love another Mackade brother getting a family. On with the last one!
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Lone Star Millionaire
  • Kentucky Home (Southern Comfort, #1)
  • Shaken
  • His Expectant Ex (The Landis Brothers, #2)
  • Larkspur Road (Lonesome Way #2)
  • The McKettrick Way (McKettricks, #9)
  • Dead of Night (includes In Death, #24.5)
  • Walk on the Wild Side
  • Spring Shadows (Seasons Of Love, #3)
  • The Last Goodbye (Adamson Brothers, #1)
  • Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2)
  • Carolina Home (Dare Island, #1)
  • Holly Lane (Destiny, #4)
  • A Daring Proposition
  • The Man Behind the Mask
  • Instant Gratification (Wilder, #2)
  • Just Like a Man (OPUS prequel)
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...

The MacKade Brothers (4 books)
  • The Return of Rafe MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #1)
  • The Pride of Jared MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #2)
  • The Fall of Shane MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #4)

“Do you know what I feel about you, Devin? About us?...Dazzled, you dazzle me. You make me feel things, and want things I never knew I could have. -Cassie” 42 likes