Start by marking “The Heart of Devin MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Heart of Devin MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #3)

The Heart of Devin MacKade (The MacKade Brothers #3)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  5,102 ratings  ·  152 reviews
HE WAS THE ONLY MacKADE WHO MOVED SLOW

Sheriff Devin MacKade had always had his eye on Cassie Connor Dolin. Twelve years of trying to watch over her and her children. Twelve years of being the dependable friend, of seeing his beauty married to a beast. Twelve years of hell.

Now he was going to change, although he knew he'd have to be careful, move slow. But if Cassie came an
Published June 1st 2011 by Silhouette Desire (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of Devin MacKade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of Devin MacKade

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Freed by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
Best Love Story
331st out of 1,020 books — 1,503 voters
Inevitable by Angela  GrahamFallen Too Far by Abbi GlinesHopeless by Colleen HooverOn Dublin Street by Samantha YoungSlammed by Colleen Hoover
Best Romance Novels by Indie Authors
248th out of 271 books — 486 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann Keller
Lovely Cassie Connor married the man she thought was the image of her dreams, but Joe was quick to anger and abusive. Cassie endured years of brutal beatings, hiding the truth and the bruises from her friend, Sheriff Devin MacKade and from all of the townspeople, too. However, when Joe took his anger out on their two kids, it was over. Joe was locked away in prison and Cassie mercifully granted a divorce.

So, Cassie and her kids started over, but their emotional scars took a long time to heal. No
valee
Sigh *** What will I do once I finish this series? Only one more book, *sniff. I just don't want it to end, I'm having such a great time with it.

Again I wasn't disappointed by this series. This book was everything I wanted it to be. I had been wanting to read about Devin and Cassie since I started this series, so you guys can imagine I was exhilarated once I got my hands on this book.
Devin MacKade is the town's Sheriff, former bad boy who nobody ever thought would make something important of
KatiD
I picked up The Heart of Devin MacKade because I was interested to see his heroine, Cassie Dolin, who is introduced in the first book as a victim of domestic violence, get her HEA. Cassie married Joe Dolin young and stupidly. Joe is pretty much a good for nothing, who drinks too much, gets fired from even the most menial of jobs, and knocks his wife around for anything and everything. In the first MacKade book, The Return of Rafe MacKade, Cassie finally presses charges against Joe for battery an ...more
Jacob Proffitt
I had high(er) hopes for this one than the others in the series—after all, Devin can't really afford to be a rage-monkey with Cassie what with her history of being in an abusive relationship. Unfortunately, not so much. Well, he's not really a rage-monkey and he's never abusive. But I expected . . . gentler from him than we get. The plotting is more or less what you'd expect and I'm glad to have a wrap up, finally, to the Joe Dolan plotline, but I just wanted more.
Amber
It was good, but not great. My biggest issue with the book was (view spoiler) I am not inspired to try another Nora Roberts, unfortunately. The hero and heroine (and kiddos) were all a bit too perfect.
Rebekah
The Heart of Devin MacKade, OR, Romantic Protagonist and Domestic Abuse & Rape Survivor Cassie Dolan Goes From One Frying Pan to Another, Sexier Frying Pan.

I can't even call her a romantic heroine because I did not give two shits about her, she just happened to be one of the lead characters. It's great that you and Devin can finally bone after like 15 years of him creepily pining for you, but maybe you should spend some time examining what you want, what you really really want, and not just
Amanda Sheila
I'm officially in love with Nora Roberts. I think I'll soon add a shelf solely to her books, after I finished at least ten of them. So far, four! Haha.

Anyway, why this book received five stars? Because Devin and Cassie's relationship is the one that elevate from one level to another through the whole series. I can read their innocent banter in Rafe's and the way Devin showed his affection in Jared's. That's why this book is very deep to me.

I liked the way Nora Roberts put the words together in
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Devin MacKade knew it was his destiny to serve and protect the small town of Antietam, Maryland. And he always suspected his future should have little Cassie Connor in it. After Cassie married the wrong man, Devin tried to convince himself there would be other women, other loves. Now, after Cassie’ s divorce, Devin can finally follow his heart. But can Cassie follow hers?" (From Amazon)

We are introduced to Devin and Cassie earlier in the series and can see the sparks between the two thou
Titinha Scaeiro
o 4º livrinho para o desafio doce...

Mais um livro que tinha lido em ebook manhoso e que não me lembrava de como a história era linda...
Simplesmente amei este 3º livro, é difícil não amar o Devin e gostar muito Cassie... Adorei mesmo!!!

E agora vou-me atirar ao último da série... Do irmão mais novo... ^_^
Gaby Franz
Me gustó mucho pero fue muy corto. Unas paginas más no habrían venido mal y sobre todo un epílogo.
Espero saber más de Cass y Devin en el siguiente libro.
Wendy
Devin Mackade you are a gem!
Duncan Mandel
1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts returns with the classic tales of the MacKade brothers—their rebellions, their passions and their loves.

Sheriff Devin MacKade has always known his destiny was to serve and protect the small town of Antietam, Maryland—and for a long while he thought that future would include Cassie Connor. But when Cassie married the wrong man, Devin did the honorable thing and kept his feelings to himself. Now that Cassie's divorced, Devin can finally follow his

Cathy Ryan
It was pretty obvious that Devin and Cassie were going to end up with each other at some point even though, after twelve years of just being her friend, Devin thought Cassie was lost to him but still, I loved the story. It has a little more depth and emotion due to the subject matter of domestic violence and abuse, especially as children are involved.

Nora Roberts is so good at writing scenes that pull at the heart-strings and I love the way Devin gains the trust and love of Cassie’s children. Af
Estara
Jun 01, 2012 Estara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary small town romance
Aurelia Rowl

This one rates slightly higher than the previous two on account of making my heart pound for a variety of reasons.

My only issue with the series so far is the similarities to the Inn Boonsboro trilogy. Now onto book 4.
Darbi Bradley
My very first by La Nora! Can totally see how all the authors I love now were inspired by her, it's fab!
♥ Nell ♥
Loved Devin and Cassie. But I especially loved Connor and Emma!
Nenya
What is wrong with me... I used to love this genre! And now, I read it and go, ugh, another cribby small town! The poor battered h! That theme is more battered and worse for wear than the h, who still looks like a princess (newsflash: in real life, those ravages show on your face!)

useless immature jocks, pretending to be alphas... grr...

He'd told other women he loved them. He wouldn't have denied it. The fact was that he'd tried to love other women. He'd worked hard at it for a space of time. T
Ayu Wirdha
Dari buku 1 sdh kelihatan sih kalau Cassie bakalan dipasangkan dengan Devin.

Tema utamanya sih kekerasan rumah tangga. I wonder, selama ini yg sy baca mengenai pelaku adalah mereka tidak akan berhenti menteror korbannya bahkan setelah dilaporkan ke polisi. Bahkan sampai2 korban hrs melarikan diri & membuat identitas palsu hanya utk hidup lebih tenang & aman. Apakah memang polisi & masyarakat tdk dpt melindungi korban sehingga jalan satu2nya hrs salah satu ada yg tewas?

Joe Dolin, dgn k
Kelly
Two things kept this book from being 5-stars: 1. Devin having been in love with the heroine for 12 years. I love an unrequited love, slow burn hero, but at some point in those 12 years he had to have not actively been "in love" with her, right? When he dated other girls, slept with other girls, told other girls he loved them? Something about that makes it all a little skeezy if he was doing that but still in love with Cassie. I know Cassie was married, so he felt he had no chance with her. I can ...more
Pam
The Heart of Devin MacKade is by Nora Roberts. It is the third book in the four book series.
Devin has known he wanted to be the sheriff and serve the community of Antietam, Maryland. Now he has finally gotten his wish and is the sheriff. He knew he wanted to live his life with Cassie Connor; but he missed his chance and she married another.
Cassie has returned home to find herself. She has no intention of finding another husband. What is she going to do about Devin MacKade now?
Makenzie
Another good installment of this series. Good triumphs over evil, and hot guy finally gets a chance at the girl he's pined over for more than a decade.

It was a cute story, and I loved Devin's interactions with the kids, but I swear that man has more mood swings than a menopausal woman! That was the only thing that irked me. He was sweet and patient one day and then furious and throwing in the towel the next.

But overall....a sweet story. And a good lead up to Shane's story!
Sjaakroger
WHIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DEVIN EN CASSIEEEE

JAJAJA
Deze shit was nice

Devin is zo nice voor Cassie en het is gewoon zulke goede shit ;c
En ze is zo adorable en het is precies wat ik verwachtte maar nicer

En eerder was ik zeer ongeïnteresseerd in Shane, maar nu wil ik hem zien zwijmelen over een vrouw en hem zien zwichten MWUHAHAHAHA

EN Devin en Cassie baby's, ik wil ze.
Wendy
This whole series is my romance catnip, I swear. This one has what Sarah Wendell of Smart Bitches, Trashy Books calls a hero "who keeps his feelings to himself not because he's angry that he has them, but because he doesn't think the heroine would welcome his attentions, or that his feelings for her are good for her." He knows he has feelings. Every one of his brothers and every one of their wives knows he has feelings. Mutual friends recognize the feelings. Heck, random strangers walking by on ...more
Elizabeth
Nora Roberts is one of the best selling romance (and fiction generally) authors of all times, yet I’ve not yet found a book of hers that has engaged me. Granted, the sample size is not large but this book did not work despite recommendations from a number of bloggers whom I trust.

The hero is the alpha male sheriff, which is just not the type of character that interests me. The heroine is slightly more interesting - a woman who ended her abusive marriage but doesn’t know if she can handle love a
Mareli
Another good one. True to be told I was expecting something more, something more dramatic to close the horrible marriage the heroine felt conpelled to have vey young.

But the story is sweet and you'll have to love another Mackade brother getting a family. On with the last one!
Abby
This was on sale and has squee-y, rave reviews on my favorite romance novel site, so I tossed it in my Amazon cart.

For not being a contemporary fan (outside of Julie James who I wet my pants over with every new book) I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this small town romance. It felt a little short, and the plot moppet kids always make my teeth ache, but I really liked the hero. Devin MacKade is a Smoldering Hottie of the First Order.

And honestly, sometimes that's all you need.

Plot, heroin
Romanticdryad
This was probably my favourite of the McKade books. So much pent up passion and angst breaking free made for a fun read.

With Cassie's abusive husband locked up Devin just might have a chance to show Cassie just how he's felt about her for 12 long years. But Cassie and her kids may not be ready for a new man in their lives and Joe Dolin may not be as far away as they think.

I enjoyed the father son style dynamic between Devin and Connor most as the two size each other up. The McKades are generally
Tessie
I've been waiting for Devin's story since we were first introduced to him in Rafe's book. Seriously swoon worthy. He was made even more swoon worthy by my favorite narrator, Luke Daniels. His voice is seriously dreamy. (I listened to the Audible Audiobook read by Luke Daniels)

The story itself was interesting. Devin has loved a woman he can't have for over 12 years. He's loved her through her getting married, watching painfully when he couldn't do anything to help her while she was beaten by her
Jm
La série des frères MacKade, moult fois rééditée, nous permet de renouer avec le meilleur de l'auteur : une fratrie, des frangins sexys en diable bien sûr, un peu abîmés par la vie et célibataires endurcis. Évidemment, ils vont tous tomber sous le charme de jeunes femmes merveilleuses, fortes et fragiles à la fois.

Dans ce tome trois, nous découvrons (ou redécouvrons, si on a lu les deux premiers livres) le couple de Cassie et Devin. Ce dernier est amoureux de Cassie depuis de nombreuses années e
  • Sean's Reckoning
  • A Daring Proposition
  • Luscious (Sexy Chefs, #2)
  • Almost Summer: A Fool's Gold Novella (Fool's Gold, #6.2)
  • Anything for You
  • Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2)
  • Reunion in Death (In Death, #14)
  • At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5)
  • Holly Lane (Destiny, #4)
  • Night Maneuvers
  • Shaken
  • Naturally Naughty
  • Taylor's Temptation (Tall, Dark & Dangerous, #10)
  • Jordan (Buckhorn Brothers, #4)
  • A Man in a Million (The Moorehouse Legacy, #4)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her
More about Nora Roberts...

The MacKade Brothers (4 books)
  • The Return of Rafe MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #1)
  • The Pride of Jared MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #2)
  • The Fall of Shane MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #4)

“Do you know what I feel about you, Devin? About us?...Dazzled, you dazzle me. You make me feel things, and want things I never knew I could have. -Cassie” 42 likes