Bone Yard (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #4)

Bone Yard (Raine Stockton Dog Mystery #4)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Fourth Installment in the Raine Stockton Dog Mystery Series: a short novella

Dog trainer Raine Stockton has lived all her life in the quiet community of Hansonville, North Carolina. She is the daughter of a judge, the niece of a sheriff, and the ex-wife of a deputy. She does not lead the kind of life, generally speaking, in which people get buried in her back yard. But whe...more
Published (first published May 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bone Yard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Yard

Sharon
Another dog mystery set in the Smoky Mountains. My husband and I got an advanced copy of The Dead Season, the best in this series. I think it should be coming out pretty soon.

We read the author's blog periodically, and our dog, Brinkley is pictured on her site. He may even make a cameo appearance in her next book!
Sophie
I enjoy Raine's dogs, but I'm slightly annoyed that the solved mystery was trite and pedestrian, and that this really was a slight novella - or long short story - that did not satisfy.
Michelle R.
(Originally published at Red Adept Reviews.)

Overall: 4 1/4 Stars

Plot/Storyline: 4 Stars

The story is firmly in the category of mystery cozy, meaning there’s a murder, but no overt violence and it’s meant to be a more of a simple who-dunnit/light read. I love dogs and so I occasionally like the subcategory of cozy featuring them – there might be more than you think.

Because I’m such a dog freak, my favorite part involved a subplot with Raine’s collie. For the rest of you, the non canine obsessed, t...more
Douglas Cook
Nice dog/outdoors mystery series. Main character is much less bitchy in this book. (She should have taken a Xanax in the first book) Well worth reading

First paragraphs
ONE It’s the kind of story the newspapers always love: family dog drags home human bones from the woods. Hunting dog sniffs out human remains beneath the autumn leaves. Beloved family pet digs up the bones of a murder victim in suburban backyard. Well, let me tell you, it doesn’t make for nearly such great reading when it’s your be...more
Sandy J
I've been waiting for this book (well, not really a book - more like a long short story) for several years, ever since I read the first 3 books in the series. It features Raine Stockton, dog trainer, and an assortment of believable dogs, including Cisco, her golden retriever. (Also a collie, 2 Australian Shepherds, and a border collie who now belongs to a pet psychic) I hope she can squeeze in a sheltie along the way. The plot is good, for such a short story, and the characters are top notch. Th...more
Trisha
2014-01-23. Loved it! Great storyline and loved (and hated) the end with Majesty. I wasn't ready for the book to end. Off to the next!
Jan C
This was a fairly quick read.

I enjoy this series. Takes place in North Carolina in the area where my parents retired. Story of dog trainer/search and rescue person and her dogs.

This time those scampish dogs break out of the house in the rain and discover an old dead body where the foundation for a new kennel is going to be.

It is peopled with interesting characters, including the dogs which are mostly of the herder variety and a golden retriever.
Melodie
There were 3 books written in this series several years ago and then they disappeared. Was really happy to find this available for Kindle and it's the 2nd thing I've read on mine (besides magazines!). There are a couple of other things available for Kindle for the same series, so will be picking them up soon!
Sandy
This novella is part of Donna Ball's Raine and Cisco series. It's a well-written story with believable characters. Although I've read the previous books the author gives enough back ground information that this can be read as a stand alone story. If you like dogs and mysteries then I recommend this series.
Lizz
This is more of a short story than a book, but it does advance the characters in the series a bit, and was a fun, quick read. Come on, a Golden Retriever! And a Collie! And a pet psychic! It's a good series, if a bit on the light and fluffy side. I'm waiting for the next installment Ms. Ball!
Sharon
This was the first book I've read in the Raine Stockton series. I enjoyed the book for awhile but didn't like Raine. Her attitude is horrible and what kind of dog trainer is she when she can't control her own dogs. I'm not interest in the rest of the series.
Steph
Worst of the series as far as story, but still enjoyed very much and would recommend to read. Love watching the real-life drama of the characters lives as they weave in and out of the different books and, as always, the stars of the cast are the animals!
Gloria Mccracken
A little disappointing: it seemed that some of the plot lines weren't very well developed. But I still like this series a lot. Perhaps the next one I read will be a little more polished.
Elaine
This one is very brief, and there's not much action in it. Still, it's entertaining, especially if you like dogs. If you don't care about dogs, I wouldn't recommend it.
Lisa
I found this book very entertaining. Fun and fast read.
Gloria
Sep 08, 2014 Gloria added it
Didn't actually finish - lost interest.
Girlbartending
Fun as the other dog mysteries are.
Roberta Kublin
Good Quick read.
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Joni Mayhugh
Joni Mayhugh marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Terisa De Morgan
Terisa De Morgan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
A Year on Ladybug Farm At Home on Ladybug Farm Love Letters from Ladybug Farm Keys to the Castle Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)