Start by marking “Daniel's Bride” as Want to Read:
Daniel's Bride

Daniel's Bride

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  1,058 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
When a woman has to choose between death and marriage to a total stranger, she must be in a dire predicament....

And for Jolie McKibben, about to pay by hanging for a terrible crime she didn't commit, salvation by marriage couldn't come a moment too soon. Housekeeping for Daniel Beckham, a widower who invoked the town's wedding ordinance to rescue Jolie from the gallows,
Published May 31st 2011 by Pocket Books (first published September 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Daniel's Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daniel's Bride

JennyG
I so wanted to like this more than I did. It had a promising start with brooding widower hero rescuing sweet innocent heroine from the gallows by offering her marriage of convenience. But, after awhile I got tired of him ignoring her, turning to her only when he needed sex as well as constant "you are not staying, I'll divorce you, bla bla...".

The heroine was a doormat who just lamented over and over again over those words. I wanted to shake her and make her do something to make him take notice
Assenette
I spent several hours looking for something to read and I came across this. I had really high hopes. It started out great, an innocent woman in need of saving and a broody man who helps her. Daniel saves Jolie from hanging for a crime she didn't commit by marrying her. And at 14% (view spoiler) ...more
Maddux
Was on the edge of my seat for most of this book.

And I love that just as much as I hate it.

I thought Daniel's attitude a bit cruel, no matter how misguided his intentions were. That's just plain f--ked up.

All Jolie wanted - NEEDED - was his love. And he denied her that throughout the whole book. And then at the end where he blithely tells her ... (view spoiler)
~Megan~
For a good portion of this book I wanted to strangle Daniel, but Jolie was such a fantastic heroine that she kept me going. Time and time again she was hurt and humiliated, but she loved with her whole heart and broke down the walls surrounding Daniel's broken heart. There were a host of well-written secondary characters that I grew to care about! I had bad luck with another one of LLM's older novels, but this one was a treat.
Shireen Hakani
Could have been better. Really liked the first part of the book, though.
Sara
I read this book for the A Book A Day Keeps the Boredom at Bay challenge. 11–Its etymological originates from a Germanic compound ainlif meaning "one left". Read a book with only "one left" - it can be the only option left, or the only survivor, or the last of a set of events, the last book left in a series, etc.

When we start this book, the heroine is minutes away from being hung for murder. The hero offers to marry her, which somehow will get her a reprieve from this sentence in the wild west o
Sandra
It was ok. Daniel was an ass the majority of the book. I get that's how he is.. but some growth would have been nice to see.

Disappointing epilogue but at least there was one so I am grateful for that
Marcella
Apr 13, 2012 Marcella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touching story of love that grows with time
Kasey
Feb 15, 2017 Kasey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was highly recommended to me by my sister and I really liked it. For some reason, I didn't write a review at the time that I finished this so I can't think of anything to write except that I was good.
Brandi Shaffer
Jun 29, 2015 Brandi Shaffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a well written historical romance. It had a lot of action, angst and emotional moments, as well as the day to day hard life people had in the 1800's. The romance was pretty hot too. I know a lot of people complained about how Daniel was mean to Jolie throughout the book and they didn't like that, but I think it gave the book more angst and it wouldn't have been as good without that. He wasn't that mean to her he was just trying to make himself believe he didn't care about her because he ...more
Allison Mudge
Aug 20, 2014 Allison Mudge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in a day, I really liked it :) not to say that there wasn't parts that I didn't like because believe me there was....but it was still a good read.
Daniel, Daniel , Daniel, I wanted to scream at you sometimes...and then I wanted to hug you and tell you it's okay to move on....but in end, he learned on his own.

The sex scenes were kind of stale in my opinion, I mostly skipped over them. Which is weird for me because usually that's my favorite parts ;) but this time they were kind
Michelle
Apr 18, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an older romance that for years my friends have been telling me I need to catch up on and I’m so glad I finally got a chance to. This had some of the great, secret pleasures enjoyment of early romances that had included a little bit of everything. This had an outlaw heroine, orphans, snakes, and a cheeky hero who doesn’t say much but can convey a feeling with just a smile. What more could you possibly want? Jolie was about to be hung for a crime she didn’t commit but widower Daniel invo ...more
BookLuva28
Mar 09, 2012 BookLuva28 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Western Romance Readers
There were definite times where the book dragged and I had to put it down with the temporary boredom; but, there were also moments in the book I didn't want to overlook and discredit. Besides the sex being steamy and luxurious in it's sensual prose , there were anxious scenes in which our heroine had come face to face with the sinister and dangerous. I was definitely expecting there to be a dark corner lurking among the inevitable sweet romance bound to arrive at the end, and Linda Lael Miller d ...more
Linda
(view spoiler) ...more
Lindsay
Jolie is in a little trouble. She going to die if she doe not marry a man. Though the town people say she a part of the gang that stole money is she part of it or not. She must prove them that she did not have anything to do with the robbery.

Daniel comes along and saves her by saying he will marry her. He save her from being hung, Though he does he has his own troubles and struggles with losing his wife and unborn child. He also loss a daughter (I think) though not complete sure. It been a while
Ana
Nov 09, 2010 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A marriage of convenience is a common romance novel device and Linda Lael Miller combines this with two strong characters to create an uncommon romance. Miller delves into their burgeoning relationship and doesn’t shy away from from the painful emotional aspects such as his continuing grief over his dead wife. This author takes great care when layering in the emotions to ensure the book doesn’t dissolve into a puddle of melodrama while achieving just the right note of struggle and tenderness. He ...more
Ria
Jun 02, 2016 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the book. I love that the writer got me hooked from the very first page. I feel for jolie when she could feel that he will never love her the way he loved his first wife. The tear jerking part was with hank and gemma. They never expected anything and they were grateful. Hank is man enough to be willing to leave his toy wagon for the next beckham babyboy. Even took the initiative to leave jolie and daniel on their own. Clearly they are aware that their stay is only temporary. I love it. Fi ...more
Kathie (katmom)
Apr 14, 2011 Kathie (katmom) rated it it was amazing
This was the first book that I've read by Linda Lael Miller

This story made my heart hurt. I really wanted to hug Jolie and knock some sense into Daniel.

There were a few small things that didn't get explained or sorted out, but it was certainly an exciting read. I wanted to read through the night!

I'll definitely read more of hers.
Wendy
Mar 11, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the premise. A woman can be saved from hanging if someone offers to marry her. How original! How could you not fall in love with a man who'd save you from certain death. Daniel is a bit taciturn but makes up for that with physical attention. Jolie is a spitfire, but can hold herself back. Character development was a little off, at least on the male lead side, but all in all the story lines were nicely tied up in the end.

Epilogue was very disappointing
Jeanne
When the story starts we find Jolie McKibben standing on the back of a wagon with a noose around her neck. All of a sudden Daniel Beckham comes over and offers to marry her. What a choice death or marriage to a stranger. She chooses marriage. From this point on, she makes some unwise decisions but always seems to come out on top. And as we all know, all is well that ends well. A good historical romance story!
Kasey
May 21, 2016 Kasey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
I really enjoyed this book. The main characters were great and the story was interesting.
The reason that it was knocked down .5 stars was because there is just too many little plotlines happening withing the book. They all add to the ending story but I like a simpler story and as a personal preference a book around 300 pages and the subplots just drug the story out at times.
I am a huge LLM fan and she did not disappoint me with this story.
Caitlin Wyatt
My very first LLM standalone every other book I believe has had a sequel. Loved it loved it being about a farmer, something different. Daniel really was different from any other male MC I've read in her little world. I really liked him, and Jolie was of course lovable. That is my problem I guess, I can't find LLM characters to hate so I just have to keep reading.
Touloulou
Initiation à la romance par une amie blogueuse qui me l'a mis dans les mains...
Une lectrice distrayante, avec un héros avec drole et pourtant pas macho comme on en voit si souvent (vous avez dit boring?)
Dommage que l'ambiance "western" n'ait pas été assez là. J'aurais aimé sentir la poussière et la chaleur, entendre la musique du saloon, ce genre de choses !
Amy
May 08, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic boy sees girl about ready to be hung for a crime she didn't commit, girl falls in love with boy, boy avoid emotional entanglements… You know like that. Seriously, I am trying to book. The children were a nice touch. And honestly there was a good plot and a decent Tristert in the end. I always like Linda Leol Miller.
Tanya T
Feb 11, 2016 Tanya T rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Linda Lael Miller fan. Generally i enjoy her historical westerns. This one was just okay for me. Possibly could have just been the mood i was in at the time of reading it but i found it a bit frustrating at time with the interaction between the hero and the heroine. Lots of secondary characters thrown in the mix when i would have rather seen more focus on the H/H.
Danelle Cale
I really enjoyed this book. I am a big fan of historical books. The characters were believable and came to life on the page. I like the nice little epilogue; I had never before seen one written in that manner.

I loved the twists and turns that befell them along their journey. My favorite were "the stowaway's". That was a nice little touch.

I think I would enjoy this as a movie....
Andrea
Jun 22, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
love my trashy romance novels! it's based on the "western frontier," but it actually got me thinking about how far we americans have come from being "natural." in this book, they ate what they grew, made their own clothes, worked from dawn to dusk and had a happy life. we are so pampered and out of touch w/the basics of nature...not that i plan to change. i am just commenting on it. LOL
Lorka
Jun 20, 2015 Lorka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf-at-all
Eh, this book could have been much better. I didn't like all of the mistrust going on, and how Jolie would hide the fact that the two outlaws were showing their faces around her husbands house. Too much unneeded drama for me.
Karen Hogan
Read this frontier romance by Linda Lael Miller nearly 8 years ago. A man in the state of Washington during the 1800's rescues a woman from being hanged by marrying her. If you dont prefer graphic love scenes, Linda Lael isnt the author for you.
Becky
Dec 14, 2007 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I'm not sure why, but after reading it maybe 20 years ago now it still sticks in my mind. I can pretty much recall the whole book. I'd love to read it again, but don't have the book.
  • Joe's Wife
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Parting Gifts
  • The Midwife
  • The Bridal Veil
  • To Wed in Texas (McLain #3)
  • Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides #1)
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Mail-Order Bride (Mail Order Series, #1)
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • Never Call It Love
  • Jake (The Cowboys, #1)
  • The Marriage Bed
  • Beyond Scandal (Saint Georges, #1)
  • Only Love (Only Series, #4)
  • Sweet Everlasting
  • Cold Night, Warm Stranger
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...