Start by marking “A Watermelon, a Fish and a Bible. Christy Lefteri” as Want to Read:
A Watermelon, a Fish and a Bible. Christy Lefteri

A Watermelon, a Fish and a Bible. Christy Lefteri

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  21 reviews
It is July 1974 and on a bright, sunny morning, the Turkish army has invaded the town of Kyrenia in Cyprus. For many people, this means an end to their ordinary lives. But for some, it is a chance to begin living again. For one young woman, brought up without her mother and shunned by the community, the invasion brings an opportunity to, at long last, share her side of the ...more
Paperback
Published March 1st 2011 by Quercus Books (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Watermelon, a Fish and a Bible. Christy Lefteri, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Watermelon, a Fish and a Bible. Christy Lefteri

Val
On 15 July 1974 a coup d'état on the island of Cyprus, sponsored or ordered by the Greek military junta, overthrew the Cypriot president, Archbishop Makarios III. On 20 July 1974 Turkey replied by invading Cyprus and occupying the northern part of the island. There was heavy fighting.
Archbishop Makarios had been something of a thorn in the side of the British in Cyprus in former years, but he was primarily a Cypriot nationalist, not a proponent of Enosis, the union of Cyprus with Greece. The 197
Lucia
I was pulled in by the title of this book, which, believe it or not, does relate to the story. Lefteri's prose is stunning. Her language shines with life and drew vibrant images to my mind when I read this book. Her descriptions compile most of the novel and they are definitely the highlight. In general, I tend to be bored with books centered around the descriptions of a particular place and time, and built up with details of the characters, and that don't really have a plot, but I wasn't. The a ...more
Michael Moseley
We seem to have started a trend in the book club of reading books that bring back memories of war zones from my past memories. The conflict in Cyprus in the 1970’s was an engrained part of my history. The inside story is so fascinating the way conflict splits people’s lives apart or in this case brings them together is something we has perhaps forgotten in out insulated western consumer lives. What we fret about s so unimportant when held in comparison with the lives of most people of the world. ...more
Helen Youings

This book brought home the fact that one can know something (the fact that Turkey invaded Cyprus in 1974) but not really take it in (it was only in 1974!). I moved to live in Greece with my family in 1978 and as I was only 8, the events in Cyprus probably didn't register. However, even as I've got older and, even after visiting Cyprus only last year, it hadn't really clicked that these events were so recent.

This book is beautifully written, although I did have trouble with the staccato like sen
Karen
A harrowing and gut wrenching historical novel. This is a beautifully written story about the trials and horrors that a group of Cypriot women faced when they were taken prisoner during the 1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus. The characters are believable and develop through the course of the novel. It is brutal and not for the feint-hearted. I hope Christy Lefteri brings us another novel soon!
Elizabeth Bailey
I really enjoyed this book. The opening grabbed me totally. I loved the lyrical style and the evocative imagery, which I found captivating. It's an emotional ride, tearing at the heartstrings. My only reservation was the sections where Richard tells his friend his story, which I found distancing. Unlike the rest, which was written present tense and gave the action an immediacy and intimacy that drew me in. Otherwise it would have been a five star read. Really clever title. The writer clearly has ...more
Miranda Ruth
Feb 25, 2013 Miranda Ruth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who would like to understand Cyprus better without taking sides.
A powerful story delving deep inside one of the most intractable conflicts of recent years. The poetic prose of this book evokes all the terror, intensity, sweat and squalor of the first few pivotal days of the Turkish invasion of North Cyprus. And it doesn't take sides. Through the prism of two love affairs from different generations that reached across the ethnic divide between Greek and Turk, we are drawn deep into a sensual and passionate world where there are no easy answers. There is a res ...more
Deborah
Not easy to read, but enjoyed it. The word manically was used Way too many times :(
Rachel Kotsapas

I loved the story in this book and being married to a Cypriot refugee find the story to be close to my heart.
It was however one of the hardest books I have ever read.
I didn't mind the story being written in the view point of all the different characters but the descriptive writing was weird and annoying.I ended up skim reading it from about half way through just so I could find out what happened without having to read the unnecessary vivid descriptions.
Rita
This is the June book for The Walk Cafe Book Club.

I gave up at page 344 so I read quite a lot of it. It was too slow and boring. This is an event that the author felt quite strongly about but there were endless descriptions of nothing. A trip to cafe took about 3 pages. If I was choosing a book I wouldn't have picked this.
Mariasnake
I wish I could say nicer things about this book, but I gave up after 120 pages, bored. It's a very quick read, but not much happens, not very quickly. ,Much of it is at the same slow pace - to represent the slow pace of Greek Cypriot life perhaps? It is basically a romance with some war cruelty thrown in.
Rinsfin
I wanted to like this book as its historical setting has always interested me but unfortunately I found it slow and laboured. The pace kept stalling and I could not get into its characters- they felt distant and one- dimensional. Not what I wanted it to be!
Deborah Chappell
This book was very hard to read, I had to force myself to continue. Over half-way thru it, it started to get interesting. The constant change of perspective was confusing. I must admit, it was very informative, as I knew nothing about the conflict in Cyprus.
Ian
Just a bit too chick litty for me, but a relatively enjoyable tale about the Turkish invasion of Northern Cyprus in 1974 as seen from the perspectives of a Greek Cypriot woman, a Turkish soldier and an English RAF pilot.
Ann
Interesting but rather hard to follow in some ways as jumping from character to character - also rather far fetched coincidences in the story line that were not really believable.
Annie
Beautiful writing but lost the will to continue with the absence of any narrative drive - gave it to 20% but then gave up...
Costantia
interesting & emotional in its familiarity. prose tries hard to be a thing of literary beauty but does not always succeed.
Marusik

I love reading.. but this book just became a bit of a paper weight to me. didn't give me the enjoyment books usually do.. ugh!
jazz-ee2
Jun 19, 2011 jazz-ee2 is currently reading it
Shelves: book-group
Reading for The Walk Cafe book group meeting, Bridlesmith Walk Nottingham, Thursday 30th June 7.30pm
Veronika Suess
Egg- lemon soup? I have to get one... And man, how I want to travel to Cyprus now, just wonderful...
Jan Anderson
Lovely heartwarming story, read it in an afternoon
Moray
Moray marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Anita
Anita is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2015
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Kjersten
Kjersten marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Tania Ramos
Tania Ramos marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015