Start by marking “Mog the Forgetful Cat” as Want to Read:
Mog the Forgetful Cat

Mog the Forgetful Cat (Mog)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,334 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
A special 30th anniversary edition of the debut of Judith Kerr's Mog stories. Mog always seems to be in trouble because she is such a very forgetful cat. She forgets that she has a cat flap and she forgets when she has already eaten her supper. But one night, when an uninvited visitor turns up at the house, Mog's forgetfulness comes in very handy!
Hardcover, 30th Anniversary Edition, 40 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by HarperCollins UK (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Mog the Forgetful Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mog the Forgetful Cat

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
31st out of 366 books — 172 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Great "Cat" Books
97th out of 1,047 books — 592 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Nov 01, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cat lovers and fans of humorous picture books
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Delightful! Mog is so endearing. I loved how Debbie, the girl in the house, sticks by Mog, even when she has her nightmare about a tiger. (That double page illustration is my favorite picture in the book.) The illustrations are cute. The story is mostly funny, with a bit of sadness, and it has a fun twist ending. Readers who have known any less than brilliant cats and/or cats who find trouble, will especially enjoy this sweet book. It looks as though there are a lot of Mog books, and I’m sure af ...more
Hannah
Sep 10, 2013 Hannah rated it liked it
Mog gets into trouble due to her absentminded nature. Mog's inability to remember leads her to forget that she can not fly and she also forgets where her cat flap is. Interestingly, Mog is a cat but has a child like mindset. After a series of forgetful antics that get her into trouble, she sees a light in the window and meows to be let back in, as a result she saves the day.

I enjoyed this book as the short interesting sentences are combined with a sing a long rhythm of Kerr's text that makes it
Anna Nesterovich
I picked up this book because it was mentioned in Brief Candle in the Dark: My Life in Science by Richard Dawkins as something he was reading to his daughter. So I got curious.

The book wasn't in our library, so I asked for an interlibrary loan and, meanwhile, picked another book by the same author. I wish I hadn't.

Mog the Forgetful Cat on itself is not very bad, though it feels like something out-of-date. Not a book I would read to a kid now, but rather a book that my parents would listen to as
Linda McCarry
Mar 01, 2014 Linda McCarry rated it it was amazing
This is my 12th Book Review: Mog the Forgetful Cat
By: Judith Kerr

I received this book from my teacher and students as a present, and it is a wonderful book and beautifully written from the well known author of The Tiger Who Came To Tea. It is a story about a cat called Mog. It tells the story of a forgetful cat who is always getting into trouble. Mog lives with her family Mr Thomas, Mrs Thomas, Debbie and Nicky. Debbie the little girl in the story loves Mog but her father Mr Thomas isnt too keen
Jan 04, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sons-books
Probably one of my top five favourite books from my childhood. Mog reminded me of my first pet cat, and I remember laughing at all Mog's funny little adventures.

Mog is forgetful. She can't help it! She wants to please her family and get along with everyone. She occasionally likes a boiled egg for breakfast.

The father in the household is rather exasperated with Mog. "BOTHER THAT CAT!" Is his choice of phrase. I'm sure in real life, his language would be a lot more colourful..!

One night, the fam
Nyla
Sep 13, 2011 Nyla rated it liked it
‘Mog the Forgetful Cat’ written by Judith Kerr is a book I picked up randomly in the library. Mog is a forgetful cat which the Thomas family see as a nuisance as Mog is constantly unknowingly getting on the wrong side of people, except Debbie, who is the only exception. That is until she had a nightmare about a tiger wanting to eat her, only to find out that Mog had crept into her room! Mog’s forgetfulness is shown throughout the book in different circumstances and the reaction shown by the fami ...more
Stephen Barry
Jan 17, 2012 Stephen Barry rated it really liked it
Mog the Forgetful Cat is a picture book written and illustrated by Judith Kerr. Mog lives with the Thomas family, Mr and Mrs Thomas and their children Nicky and Debbie. The story is based around Mog being unable to remember a number of things that would happen in the everyday life of a cat. For example, Mog would forget that the cat flap led out into the garden. Mr Thomas becomes frustrated with Mogs actions on numerous occasions, Nicky and Debbie however are more caring towards the cat. Mog bec ...more
Emily
Aug 30, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Mog, a very brave but very forgetful cat!

'Mog the forgetful cat' is Judith Kerr's tale of a loveable cat who can't seem to do anything right! He lays in the wrong places, daydreams and seems to constantly be in the way of his unpatient and busy owners. However, when a burgular attempts to intrude into Mog's house, his brave and courageous reaction saves the day!

As a child this was my favourite short story of all time, I can remember reading my 'Mog' stories over and over. Mog is a l
Anjumanara
Apr 26, 2012 Anjumanara rated it really liked it
A Judith Kerr classic that can be enjoyed by all EYFS and year one children. Its about a forgetful cat who gets into trouble for being careless and forgetful. She forgets that she has a cat flap and she forgets that she has already eaten her supper. By the end of the evening everyone has had enough and all you hear is ‘bother that cat’ throughout the day by Mr and Mrs Thomas who are getting fed up. The children on the other hand, are amused by all the nuisence she causes. However, when a burgler ...more
Kristina Masset
Jan 31, 2016 Kristina Masset rated it it was amazing
This Childrens book was so dang cute! I would like to read more! But I hear it's hard to find copies of them?
Anne-Marie
It seems to me that most people think The Tiger Who Came To Tea when they think of Judith Kerr, but it was always the Mog books for me. I love cats, we had a tabby cat, and I love how poor Mog accidentally saves the day in this story. Mog is such a lovable character in all her stories that I can’t bring myself to read Goodbye Mog (2002) as I know I’ll just sob the whole way through. Fortunately there are many more Mog books that I also haven’t read that I will get to share with my girls at some ...more
Mrs Wilson
Mar 04, 2016 Mrs Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I remember reading Mog when I was little and so I was over the moon to receive a copy of this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review and get to read this book to my own little ones. Both of my children love the story and love the book and as the board book is thick and perfect for little hands, my daughter loves sitting there looking through the pictures on her own and this is one of her favourite books at present.

The illustrations in this board book are absolutely gorgeou
Melissathomas
Sep 19, 2014 Melissathomas rated it really liked it
Meet the Thomas family and Mog a lovely but forgetful cat. So forgetful in fact that he forgets how to use his cat flap. Mr and Mrs Thomas get very frustrated with Mog for eating the childrens eggs, ruining the flower bed, lying across the television. Throughout the story Mr and Mrs Thomas repeat the phrase “bother that cat” with the children always jumping to Mog's defense.

Until one evening Mog causes the daughter to have a nightmare. Waking up to screams Mr and Mrs Thomas banishes Mog from th
unperspicacious
Nov 25, 2012 unperspicacious rated it it was amazing
This was read to me a long time ago by my own parents, when I was about 4 or 5...but until a week ago I had absolutely no recollection of it. Then by chance we got this for our own boy (now approaching 15 months). And he is lapping it up, after just two reads...! Going through the pages with him, snatches of familiar episodes have started coming back to me - the crushed flowerbeds, Debbie's nightmare and open-mouthed scream about the tiger about to eat her, the burglar, and even the boxing match ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jan 24, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sarah by: my husband
Here's a picture book that I feel like I've read a million times but it's only my first. My husband grew up with the book and it remains one of his favorites. So although I haven't read it before, he and his family have recounted the story so many times that I feel like it's an old friend.

His parents were recently in Canada and brought home a 40th anniversary reissue of the book for us.

----

Mog the Forgetful Cat by Judith Kerr is about a moggy cat who lives a typical life of a pet cat. She wants
Lisa Catchpole
Nov 15, 2015 Lisa Catchpole rated it really liked it
I'm cheating by reading this as I'm so far behind in my reading challenge of this year.

This is a classic tale about a cat named Mog. He suffers from "forgetfulness" that is all you need to know.

Loved re-reading this story and I'm sure that many other children and future generations will love it too.
Maaike
Jul 14, 2015 Maaike rated it really liked it
This book is so cute. The end was a bit confusing to the 3-year old I read it to, since she did not understand that the man in the house was a robber and that he was stealing, but it was the first time I have been able to read a whole storybook to her. She loved it! The pictures were adorable too.
Ruth Ann
Mar 31, 2015 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous story about Mog, the cat.

Mog is forgetful (not realistic!), but one day helps her family out, by accident, and foils a burglar!

Lol, the picture of the family with the policeman, near the end of the book shows the parents and burglar drinking tea or coffee together? Really!?
annik
Feb 02, 2016 annik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Милая Мяули рассеяна до чертиков. То лапу вылижет только наполовину, задумавшись о чем-то. То забудет о существовании кошачьей дверцы. То вообще у нее в голове все перепутается. Эта кошка – не подарок, но хозяева ее любят, хотя иногда в сердцах и восклицают, как она им надоела. Фабула проста: рассеянность Мяули оборачивается против бандита, пожелавшего ограбить ее дом.

Всего 40 страниц, иллюстрации теплые-домашние, Мяули – очаровательный пухляш с выразительной мордахой. Вообще ей нельзя не симпат
Stephanie
Feb 04, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
This is a great book for the child who is just beginning to read on their own. The structure is set so that the vocabulary is repeated and limited to easier wording and yet a bit of a challenge.

The story is sweet and end with Mog being a hero. There is a long line of Mog books and her adventures.

The interesting thing about this book for me, is that it was written by the same author that wrote When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. A childs memory Nazi Germany.

She is also the author of The Tiger Who Ca
Ruth
Mar 03, 2013 Ruth added it
Mog the forgetful cat is a picture book written ad illustrated by Judith Kerr. It is about a cat who is very forgetful and lives with the Thomas family. Mog feels he is not loved by the family except the daughter and is seen as a bit of a nuisance to the family. Mog can't seem to do anything right until one night. Mog went out the cat flap but being forgetful was not able to get back into the house. He saw a small light in the kitchen and decided to meow at the window until he was let in. It was ...more
April
Jan 03, 2016 April rated it liked it
Um, it was good. I'm horrible at reviewing children's books as they aren't written for their depth. I liked it, even though I didn't think an actual cat is this forgetful (my cat will put a toy somewhere hidden and run back and grab it out six months later).
Ellie M
Oct 28, 2014 Ellie M rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books, 2014
Mog, the tabby cat, is very forgetful, and does silly things like sitting on people's hats or eating their boiled eggs. One day she has a bad day and runs outside into the garden when she is told off. But she manages to redeem herself...
Karen J Rood
Nov 14, 2015 Karen J Rood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mog the cat

I saw Sainbury's Christmas ad with Mog and I just had to try one of the books. It seems that Mog has a bad day. But in the end saves the day. The illustrations were adorable.
Dawn
Oct 01, 2015 Dawn rated it liked it
We liked the cat, Mog, and we enjoyed his forgetfulness. It made the kids chuckle. Again, some of the wording was pretty British and it was odd to my class. In the end, Mog saves the family from a burglar. Handy cat to have around!
Nicola
Sep 27, 2012 Nicola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Mog books when I was young and when I saw this in a charity shop today I had to buy it. I just love Mog and want to give her a hug! She's just so loveably cattish (running round the garden with a bushed out tail, sleeping on the mum's hat, lying on top of the TV, miaowing at the window to get in when she has a cat flap etc). Some of the pictures, especially Mog's facial expressions, made me laugh.

Now I want to read all the Mog books! I don't think I ever read them all, just the ones
Dolly
Nov 20, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2013
This is a sweet tale about a forgetful cat who ends up having his forgetful nature become an asset. The story reminded me, strangely, of Walter the Farting Dog, and while this story was much more serious than that one, it still had the same sense of finding your purpose and earning your keep.

The narrative is easy to read aloud and the illustrations are cartoonish and complement the story nicely. I love books about cats, so this was a natural pick for me. I thought that Mog was adorable and I wi
Brandy
Dec 08, 2015 Brandy rated it it was amazing
Just as delightful as The Tiger Who Came to Tea, I love the amusing contrast between what is going on in Mog's head and how the humans interpret her behavior.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jun 27, 2014 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-1001

Mog is very forgetful and that can be a bother in her family. But she can also be the one to save the family from great danger. A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

Kimberley Shaw
Dec 02, 2014 Kimberley Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it as a kid, love it still. The more I know about how much goes into a well-designed kids' book, the more I appreciate this one!
  • Slinky Malinki
  • Come Away From the Water, Shirley
  • Not Now, Bernard
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • Katie Morag Delivers the Mail
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • Haunted House
  • Funnybones
  • The Giant Jam Sandwich
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Kerr :

Judith Kerr is a German-born British writer and illustrator who has created both enduring picture books such as the Mog series and The Tiger Who Came To Tea and acclaimed novels for older children such as the autobiographical When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit which give a child's-eye view of the Second World War.

Kerr was born in Berlin but left Germany wi
More about Judith Kerr...

Mog (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Mog's Family of Cats
  • Mog’s Amazing Birthday Caper
  • Mog and Bunny
  • Mog and Barnaby
  • Look Out Mog! (Flap Books)
  • Mog on Fox Night