Start by marking “Trans/Love: Radical Sex, Love & Relationships Beyond the Gender Binary” as Want to Read:
Trans/Love: Radical Sex, Love & Relationships Beyond the Gender Binary

Trans/Love: Radical Sex, Love & Relationships Beyond the Gender Binary

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  141 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

"This is where sex and gender collide, then ricochet like fragments of heart rending shrapnel. Rarely has a book about lust been full of so much love, conflict, and intelligence. If you think you already know what's in these stories, or you think you don't need to know, you're wrong."—Patrick Califa, author of Sex Changes: The Politics of Transgenderism

Exploring the crossr
Published October 11th 2011 by Manic D Press, Inc. (first published September 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Trans/Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trans/Love

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le GuinMiddlesex by Jeffrey EugenidesOrlando by Virginia WoolfTipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersTwelfth Night by William Shakespeare
Best Gender-Bending Books
119th out of 420 books — 280 voters
Refuse by Elliott DeLineParrotfish by Ellen WittlingerA Boy Like Me by Jennie WoodI am J by Cris BeamBecoming a Visible Man by Jamison Green
FTM / Trans Men
145th out of 185 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. Often times books about genderqueer and transgender people focus on the negative things associated with being this type of different (as viewed by mainstream socitey) and/or on the process of transitioning itself. I really appreciated this book because it approached the subject in a completely different way. Among other things, this book really made me aware of how much we as a society gender sexual encounters, and how limiting that is. As a whole it was a joy to read, and ...more
Catherine
A beautiful book with a really great selection of essays that don't pretend life is all sunshine and roses but also isn't filled with tales of romantic despair.
Yarrow
Mar 01, 2012 Yarrow rated it it was amazing
this book is 155 pages of awesome. it's first-person narratives by genderqueer & trans people, discussing love, relationships & sex. it's frank, funny, tender, vulnerable, tough, fierce, thought-provoking, heartbreaking, and heartwarming. there's a wide range of voices and writing styles. and enough raw human experience to keep you thinking and feeling long beyond turning the last page. an excellent collection.
Tanya
Jul 31, 2016 Tanya rated it really liked it
Incredibly thought-provoking. I appreciated the honesty of the authors and the many contrasting views and experiencing. Each has their own unique experience of being trans and what that means for their sexuality, community, labeling, and relationships.
Sarai Lillie
Feb 01, 2016 Sarai Lillie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in learning about Transgendered and Transexual people
Recommended to Sarai by: Random Amazon book choice
Shelves: own, owned-read
This book was so good in so many ways!

However, the reason I gave it a 4-star rating instead of 5, it was full of spelling and grammatical errors. Being a bit of a Grammar Nazi, this makes my reading less enjoyable.

Putting that aside, this was one of the best books I've read in quite some time. It was part poetry, part fiction, part non-fiction, part essay, part erotica, part romance, part gender study. Truly, it made me think about a lot of different things, not just about the book, but about my
Gwen
Apr 21, 2013 Gwen rated it liked it
Shelves: gender-issues
An interesting mix of essays by people who push gender boundaries. Some of the essays were incredibly well written (Julia Serano's comes to mind); others were less eloquent.

I had trouble with some of the terminology that was used. For example, I dislike the T-word intensely and wish everyone would stop using it; however a number of the authors used it extensively.

Overall it was good, but not great for me.
Grace
Apr 17, 2015 Grace rated it it was ok
Shelves: trans-gender, queer
i'm not sure why but i wasn't really into this one. i was pretty surprised to find out it was written in 2011; i would have guessed the 90s. it just seemed like this was all stuff i'd already heard before and there wasn't really much contextualization beyond the stories the authors told. the terminology also seemed a bit outdated for 2011 in places.
Karen
Nov 26, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
I feel bad giving this a low rating, because I'm sure it's really meaningful to trans people, but I think it's value is all in the ways that readers might relate to it and not in the writing itself. It was mostly personal essays, without a narrative or other structural device. In particular, the 'I'm so lucky to have a great partner who loves me' essays were kind of boring
Anna Bongiovanni
Jul 29, 2014 Anna Bongiovanni rated it it was amazing
An overall great collection of first-person stories, some better than others as in most anthologies. It was a refreshing to read about sex and love and relationships with/about/for genderqueer and trans bodies.
Dakota
May 19, 2013 Dakota rated it it was amazing
Though this book is frequently advertised as erotica, it actually contains far more self-reflexive narratives about sex, gender, sexuality, and transition often told through the lens of one's sexual and relationship history in the form of personal essays.
Katiuscia
Sep 17, 2015 Katiuscia rated it it was amazing
Mind expanding and healing. Fabulous book and must read for anyone who identifies on Trans* spectrum or loves someone on that spectrum.
willowdog
Well written anthology by trans/love authors discussing sex, love, and romantic relationships. Very informative--really enjoyed it.
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2013
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2011
Teagan
Teagan rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Tamar
Tamar rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Javier
Javier rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Lex
Lex rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Kate Klein
Kate Klein rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Jd
Jd rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2012
Jerusha Beebe
Jerusha Beebe rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2014
Natia
Natia rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2014
Ariel
Ariel rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
MJ Craig
MJ Craig rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Matthew Blair
Matthew Blair rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2013
Allie
Allie rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
Stevie Reads-ie
Stevie Reads-ie rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2012
Felicia Ramirez
Felicia Ramirez rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
North
North rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Why Are Faggots So Afraid of Faggots?: Flaming Challenges to Masculinity, Objectification, and the Desire to Conform
  • Transitions of the Heart: Stories of Love, Struggle and Acceptance by Mothers of Transgender and Gender Variant Children
  • Invisible Lives: The Erasure of Transsexual and Transgendered People
  • Sex Changes: The Politics of Transgenderism
  • The Testosterone Files: My Hormonal and Social Transformation from Female to Male
  • The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You
  • Take Me There
  • Boys Like Her: Transfictions
  • Queer Theory, Gender Theory: An Instant Primer
  • Deviations: A Gayle Rubin Reader
  • Intersex (For Lack of a Better Word)
  • GenderQueer: Voices From Beyond the Sexual Binary
  • Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation
  • Transgender History
  • Normal Life: Administrative Violence, Critical Trans Politics and the Limits of Law
  • Queer (In)Justice: The Criminalization of LGBT People in the United States
  • We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists
  • My Husband Betty: Love, Sex, and Life with a Crossdresser
"Morty Diamond is a Jewish transsexual writer/ artist/ filmmaker currently living and working in Los Angeles. Morty has edited two anthologies showcasing the trans experience from the perspective of transgender writers: From the Inside Out (Manic D Press) and the forthcoming Gendered Hearts (Alyson Press). Diamond also uses performance art to make gender and trans bodies visible in public spaces. ...more
More about Morty Diamond...