Start by marking “Dear Enemy” as Want to Read:
Dear Enemy

Dear Enemy

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Nurse Annie Rawlings has seen the atrocities of war and believes, as do most Americans, in the inhumane depravity of the enemy--the Germans. But when a rogue rescue mission ends in tragedy, Annie finds herself behind enemy lines, captured and alone with a wounded German soldier. Through shared danger, faith, and a love of music, the two forge a bond that will be tested by ...more
Published December 31st 2005 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Enemy

Leona
It captured my attention and kept me so engaged that I finished the book in one sitting. It's well written and very easy to read. However, the story itself felt flat and the characters were too one dimensional. All except for Karl, the main protagonist.

I loved the whole concept of right and wrong, and that people can't easily fit into the category of enemy or hero.

This could have been a ten star read had the author drove deeper into each event and created more than a superficial connection betw
Crystal
I enjoyed this book more than I originally thought I would.

Isn't that kind of a backward thing to say? I haven't read a good, formal historical fiction in a long time and this book definitely delivered! The Battle of the Bulge has always been interesting to me (my Great Grandfather was fighting in the Ardennes on December 28th 1944 when my grandma and her twin were born, and was later wounded in that battle), but this was a story I quite honestly was not expecting.

Karl was not the character I im
Jacqueline Wright
It was difficult to put down, and quite absorbing, though the main characters felt a little flat to me. The overall plot was one I'd been hunting to find for quite a long time, and I think my own personal expectations where too high (if I can't find a book that has everything I want, then I should write it myself!). Well written with good dialogue, but the ending simply left me feeling horrible. It felt as though the author had written a wonderfully satisfying and poignant conclusion, then sudde ...more
GraceH
I think that he is an amazing author with one slight problem...he can't end a story well. One of my favorite fiction books is "While Mortals Sleep" (by him), but he should have stopped with that one instead of adding those two last books. Seriously the third one was one of my worst books in the world. So I guess ours is a love/hate relationship. : ) All that to say, I really liked this (Dear Enemy) book until the end. He could have come up with something much better. Well that's my humble opinio ...more
Miriam
I really liked the book and the characters, but I thought the ending was a little rushed.
I really liked the story flow in this intense tale of survival in war torn France and the coming together of two people from very different worlds. The author has a gift for telling a gripping narrative that keeps the reader going, scene from scene, without any slow gaps of extensive exposition or over intense scenes of war battles.

I was really touched by the primary theme as well. The idea that individual people can’t be judged by their overall society or by their government is a powerful one;
Virginia
I love this book!! I would totally recommend this book to someone who wants to read a story that you can snuggle into bed and read it into all hours of the night. It was a very touching story and I really love how the author portrayed the main character as someone who learned something from experience and acted upon it. We should have more books like this because it wasn't just a history lesson, but it was a story with life-like people and real life problems. It was a really good book!! Five sta ...more
Mrs. Doglvrs
I adored this book... while the ending is completely up in the air, it is one of the most beautiful stories of life, love, forgiveness and overcoming prejudice I have ever read.

Jack Cavanuagh remains firmly in my top 5 favorite authors!
Sylvene
Implausible, but memorable. The main character was likeable and relatable.
Katie
Mar 27, 2012 Katie added it
How does this book end???
Dora Okeyo
This book took me on a journey, from prejudice to anger to pain to acceptance and finally left me wondering and asking 'what next?'
Based on the blurb, it's a story that's told by Annie-who tells of being a nurse during a war, and losing her friend and husband on the same day, to the enemy.
It's well told and the dialogues are interesting. I loved where Karl (the soldier who killed Annie's husband) asks her why Marcy's parents named her after a rodent, because she had called her Mouse!
It's been
Elizabeth
Originally published here

This was a surprising read for me! Even though I have always enjoyed most of Cavanaugh's works, this is one of my favorite ones.
By and large, I really like how distinct Dear Enemy is. In its sui generis plot, it brings a whole new dimension to typical WW2 fiction novels.
I also appreciate how Cavanaugh tackles sensitive questions about WW2 Germany. The two characters discuss touchy topics without making the reader too uncomfortable.
One of my favorite things about Dear En
Bruce Judisch
(DISCLAIMER: I normally avoid the cliché “couldn’t put it down” like the plague. Therefore, please be advised that if you encounter it, or something like it, in this review, it will be for the simple reason that it was true.)

Dear Enemy is a quick read. It’s not a quick read because it’s particularly short, but because it’s particularly good.

Okay, maybe part of the reason for my enthusiasm is a fascination for the Greatest-Generation era. As horrific as World War II was, there was an ambient roma
Deb
Plot Summary: What happens, When & Where, Central Characters, Major Conflicts[return]Nurse Annie Mitchell is disappointed when her honeymoon leave is cut short by a German offensive. Worse yet, after the rest of the nurses are evacuated, Annie volunteers to stay behind--only to find out that her husband is trapped and wounded in no mans land. With no one around to rescue him, Annie and one of her best friends commandeer an ambulance and go after him. Annie does find her husband alive, but he ...more
Rebekah Hart
I had never read anything by this author and since I was in the middle of another book I just intended to read the prologue to see if I liked his writing. Before I knew it I was 60 pages in and had no intention of stopping. The story needed one more page, or at least a few more paragraphs, but it was amazing. I absolutely LOVED it!
Tom
War teaches a hard lesson; one that leads to an unexpected conclusion.

The war rages without regard for civility. Could love develop from tragedy? Could two enemies find respect for one another? A must read showing a tragedy that leads to maturity.
Elsie
Nov. and Dec of 2012 were really good months for reading for me. I read several books that I would like to recommend for book club and this is one of them. This was an easy read, but very good. It is about an American nurse in France during WW II. She has an understandable hatred for the German army. Through a set of circumsatances she is thrown into a situation and has to rely on a German soldier for her life. She also finds out that to her surprise he is a human being with the same hopes and d ...more
Marianne Manning
This book captured my attention, I enjoyed reading it, but I was disappointed with the ending.
Rachel
Dear Enemy opens just before the Battle of Bulge. Newly married nurse Annie is looking forward to a honeymoon in Paris with her husband, a lieutenant named Keith. Their plans are ruined when they are involved in a gun battle with two German soldiers. One of the Germans died but so does Keith. Annie is then taken prisoner by the surviving German. However, as they continue along their trail out of the woods, Annie finds herself enjoying the soldier's company. I found this book very enjoyable and a ...more
Olivia Lee
A purely charming read.
Ashley P.
Oh my goodness did I love this book! I'm going to be honest and say that I don't make it a habit to pick up religious romances, but in my defense I just read the words war and Nazi's and the book had my complete attention.
Even though I don't prefer religious themed books this one does not shove it into your face and while there was a few eye-rolling scenes (There was more than enough: Nazi's can believe in God? :O Wow. Much shocked.), the book as a whole was incredibly captivating.
Brenda
This author did a wonderful job writing an entertaining and soul touching story. The plot had enough twists in it that you wanted to keep reading just to findout what was going to happen next. The ending surprised me because I didn't exspect the last twist. My emotions rode the roller coaster as the main female character. I would give this author another chance if I ran across another book written by him.
Ingrid Spera
I loved this book! A quick and easy read, I thought it was sad and sweet and everything in between. I was hesitant after I realized it was written by someone who usually does Christian fiction, but the few passages in there didn't make me feel like I was being lectured. My only grump is the way it ended. I think the very last chapter, really the last line, was an awful way to end this beautifully written story.
AlegnaB
I listened to an eAudio of this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I usually turn off audiobooks and pick up print or Kindle books when I have the time to sit down and read, but I didn't want to stop listening to this, so I just kept on with it.

I do wish the ending was taken a little further. I prefer to actually read/hear the ending I want instead of having to imagine it after being led down that path.
Maura
I highly recommend this book if you like to read about WWII. The characters were very likeable and the book moved at a nice pace. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was due to the ending. I do not like to spend that much time with my characters, only to be left hanging. I would still recommend this book though.
Bee
Finished it in two days. Loved this story of "enemies" finding common ground. The ending was a bit rushed and I would've liked less of an open-ended ending, but she DID cancel her wedding so I'm going to assume it ended well. Assuming--it's good for the soul.
Abi
Really loved following the relationship between Annie and Karl but felt let down by the ending. I've been left with so many unanswered questions; did Annie choose Karl or not?
Anne Hawn Smith
I've read this book several times and I feel like I am ready to read it after reading The Guernsey and Potato Peel Pie Society . So it goes on my "To Read" list again
Lauren
Had a great plot up to the end... not quite what I had hoped for and a little too much like the gods sweeping down from parnassus to make everything "right".
Tina
I don't know who told me to read this but it was great. If you like anything about WWII with a twist you will like this book. Quick, good read.
  • A Beautiful Cage
  • Proof (The Great Awakenings #1)
  • A Parachute in the Lime Tree
  • A City of Broken Glass (Hannah Vogel, #4)
  • A Memory Between Us (Wings of Glory, #2)
  • April in Paris
  • Fleischerhaus
  • Stones of Jerusalem (The Zion Legacy, #5)
  • The Major's Daughter
  • My Enemy, My Love
  • The Devil's Disciples: Hitler's Inner Circle
  • Where Willows Grow (Heart of the Prairie #10)
  • Eva's Cousin
  • What Lies Within (Family Honor Series #3)
  • Songbird Under a German Moon
  • The Secret Life of Josephine: Napoleon's Bird of Paradise
  • A Lady of Hidden Intent (Ladies of Liberty, #2)
  • Speak Through the Wind (Crossroads of Grace #2)
Jack Cavanaugh is an award-winning, full-time freelance author with twenty-five published novels to his credit. His nine-volume American Family Portrait series spans the history of a nation from 1630 to the present and is still in print nearly fifteen years following its release.

A student of the novel for more than a quarter of a century, Jack takes his craft seriously, continuing to study and tea
More about Jack Cavanaugh...
The Puritans (American Family Portrait #1) While Mortals Sleep The Colonists (American Family Portrait #2) The Patriots (American Family Portrait #3) The Adversaries (American Family Portrait #4)