Start by marking “Zombie in Love: with audio recording” as Want to Read:
Zombie in Love: with audio recording
Preview

Zombie in Love: with audio recording (Zombie in Love #1)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,011 ratings  ·  265 reviews
Everyone’s favorite zombie romance picture book is now available as an eBook with audio narration!
     Mortimer is looking for love. And he’s looking everywhere! He’s worked out at the gym (if only his arm wouldn't keep falling off). He’s tried ballroom dancing lessons (but the ladies found him to
Published August 23rd 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

Zombie in Love. Do I need to say more? Haha… Look at that title and cover! It says “Laura” all over it! :D

Mortimer, our zombie hero, is determined to find love. A girl or ghoul to spend his un-dead days with. He’s tried it all—from gifts to personal ads with no luck. But his tender, open, slightly moldy heart is determined to meet his sweetheart at the Cupid’s Ball. With silly, sweet, clever zombie humor and fun, Mortimer’s search for love will hit your funny bone and heart.

I have to share his
Sparrow
Sep 29, 2011 Sparrow rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ceridwen's girl
Recommended to Sparrow by: A book fairy
This is such a great book, but weird at the same time. On the one hand, It’s kind of depressing to read, over and over, how much more successful than me the undead are at romantic relationships. On the other hand, this guy really does try harder than me, so I shouldn’t complain, and this is a sweet book. But, back on the first hand, it’s a sweet picture book for kids about a zombie, sooooo . . . Do we really want to be teaching our children about how endearing zombies are? I ask you.

No, I do not
Erica
I don't like zombies and I don't much care for love, but maybe it's the whole "two negatives make a positive" thing that made me adore this book. I especially like the worms. They made me giggle.

Update:
Dec. 4, 2014
OMG!
I just found out they had a baby! Or, more likely, STOLE a baby because, come on, making a baby when all the reproductive parts are dead is going to be difficult.
Zombie in Love 2 + 1
Julia
I went to the bookstore today and saw this and couldn't help but buying it for my niece (I have no idea if she'll like it but I think its hysterical).

TALL, DEAD, & HANDSOME
If you like taking walks in the graveyard
and falling down in the rain.
If you're not into cooking,
if you have half a brain.
If you like waking up at midnight,
horror films, and voodoo,
then I'm the guy who you've looked for
and I'm dying to meet you!

Life is lonely for Mortimer the zombie and he is doing everything he can to mee
Deirdre
Jun 01, 2012 Deirdre rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Deirdre by: Amy
Shelves: childrens
I loved this children's book! The story and pictures were both super cute (zombie-cute, of course). I especially enjoyed the clever details in the illustrations--like our zombie hero's cute skeletal dog, candlesticks sticking out of brains, and worms playing cards in the corner of a scene. Sometime this summer, I plan to attempt the adult zombie romance novel Dearly, Departed--but I have a feeling it will not be as entertaining as Zombie in Love. :)
Brigitte Chick
My favorite part was when they had a picnic in the graveyard and ate brain cake.
Melissa
You know, this is so not my book...but it is really, really well done.
thuy
Mortimer is a lonely zombie looking for love. He tries everything he can think of to impress the ladies - from a box of delicious worms, a diamond ring fresh from the grave and even offers up a heart (newly deceased), but nothing works. What’s a ghoul supposed to do? Mortimer decides puts a personal ad in the local paper in the hopes that the perfect girl will see it. But does Mortimer’s dream girl show up at Cupid’s Ball or is Mortimer doomed to stalk the earth alone?

I LOVE Zombie in Love! My
Alicia
Loved it. Cute, funny and original. Mortimer tries and tries to find love, but the girls just don't seem to like him. Mortimer's zombie grossness is tempered by the soft watercolor illustrations, as well as his genuine sweetness, and little readers will have hope for him. They will also have fun noticing details in the artwork, and laughing out loud at Mortimer's efforts (and some failures). I just can't wait to read this for a storytime. It would be especially good for Valentine's Day or Hallow ...more
Donna Gephart
Zombie in Love combines my favorite things -- humor, fun horror, a great story and terrific artwork.

Scott Campbell's illustrations are fabulous. My favorite is the one that follows these words: "Each time a girl approached the table, Mortimer would smile. Like this:" (It's a hilarious closeup of Mortimer's face.) Campbell's illustrations add much humor to the already fun, funny and poignant text.

I became familiar with Kelly DiPucchio's books when I discovered Grace for President, and I've been
Mark
Though it is funny in a quirky way, I am not sure whether this book is suitable for children below 10 years old.

Parents need to know that this sweet, silly zombie love story has gruesome elements suited to the subject matter: worms, severed limbs, a detached heart, a severed finger, a plate of eyeballs, a keyboard made of finger bones, and a picnic in a graveyard with brain as the entree.

The pictures are somehow cute, but once again, parents should be aware that the story and pictures might be
Kathryn Cunningham
Mortimer the zombie is just dying to make a love connection. But he's not just sitting around sighing over a bowl of stale eyeballs, he's studying up, he's doing the work. He's giving gifts and writing poems. So what if the fancy box of chocolates he offers the charming young lady at the bus stop is riddled with worms? Is it such a big deal that the diamond ring he presents his favorite waitress at the diner has a finger attached to it? Why aren't the ladies responding to Mortimer's romantic ove ...more
Lauran Ferguson
I absolutely loved this book! Although it is a children's book, I think the illustrations are a bit creepy and might scare some children, especially the picture where Mortimer's arms fall off after attempting to work out. I love how unconventional this story is and I think it has a great message as well. In conclusion, this is a very cute book for a child, and I truly enjoyed it.
Jocelin
This little book creeped me out a little bit. There were some genuinely cute moments in it but, the idea of a Zombie looking for a "live" girl was kind of corny. It was sweet and it is a good read for children 10-12. They will understand a Zombie boy looking for a girlfriend. Good book for Halloween.
The Styling Librarian
Wow, I understand why this won the awards it did. Fantastic. Cannot wait to share it with my students. Zombies.. brain eating... limbs falling off... love story... what isn't to enjoy about that? Of course my 5 year old turning the pages and saying "ew" was also terrific.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
"Mortimer was lonely." - Mortimer is a zombie who is looking for love but his attempts at getting a date isn't working. He finally attempts an ad in the paper (a la Pina Colada by Rupert Holmes) - this had me giggling. So what is a poor zombie to do? Fun ending.

Donalyn
Hilarious and weirdly touching book about Mortimer, a lonely zombie looking for love. Many jokes and puns hidden in the illustrations-- Mortimer shops for a new suit (at a funeral home), goes to the gym (and leaves a limb on the free weights), and so on.
Andrew
Absolutely my favorite book by far that I have read while being apart of Good Reads. This beautiful book is about a zombie named Mortimer who tries his best to fit in and find a sweetheart for the upcoming Cupid's Ball. This book is filled with funny puns, morbid (but appropriate) illustrations, and personal connections that anyone can relate to. I'd recommend this book to 4th or 5th graders. I think this book is good for children because the main character is someone who isn't like everyone els ...more
Amy
Oh, dear, the kids were cracking up at this one! Very cute, very funny, surprisingly touching, and fun pictures! I never expected to feel sympathetic toward a zombie, but Mortimer just gets under your skin.
Julie W
Read this to several classes in the school library and didn't get tired of it. Fun book with a clever story of a Zombie finding his sweetheart. Cute illustrations.
Linda B
Went to Barnes and Noble tonight looking for something fun and clever to read to students for Valentine's Day and I hit the jackpot! This book, partnered with "Zombie in Love 2 + 1" will be perfect for 4th and 5th grade students. (Younger children will love them too, it's just I have different books to read to them.)

Mortimer, a zombie goes to a dance, looking for true love. As the end of the evening nears and it seems like all Mortimer's efforts have been for nothing, in stumbles drop-dead gorge
Tenille Shade
Super cute book to read on Valentine's Day. The word play is engaging, and the kids would get a kick out of the illustrations.
Courtney
Aw, poor Mortimer! He's lonely, and all he wants is somebody to love.
I get you Mortimer, I get you.
Pio Perez
Gruesomely cute. I think, this is a the perfect thing to say about this book.
Nicole Pramik
[Taken from my blog: http://scififantasylitchick.wordpress...]

The Story: Zombie in Love, by Kelly DiPucchio (illustrated by Scott Campbell), is a children’s story about a lovesick zombie named Mortimer who has tried everything he can think of to get a date. But nothing seems to work as all of the ladies just run away from him in disgust. So one day before the big Valentine’s Day dance, Mortimer puts a personal ad in his local newspaper to see if he can finally find his soul mate. But will he suc
Kristilyn
So I'm really not a zombie fan, but when I saw this book being returned at the library, I couldn't resist! It didn't take that long to flip through and I have to admit that I was a little in love with the book when I finished it.

I actually felt sorry for our poor zombie character, who just wanted to find true love, but just can't get a break. No one seems to like his zombie ways! The story was delightfully told and just so cute. I also really loved the drawings, which were kind of messy, which
Richie Partington
31 May 2011 ZOMBIE IN LOVE by Kelly DiPucchio and Scott Campbell, ill, Atheneum, August 2011, 32p., ISBN: 978- 1-4424-0270-6

"Turn your heartache right into joy
Cause she's a girl and you're a boy"
-- Stephen Stills, "Love the One You're With"

When Tony Bennett sang about leaving his heart in San Francisco, he didn't mean it literally. But if you can get a kick out of imagining him having done so (literally), you're on your way to appreciating the wealth of hilarious sight gags -- many involving de
Nancy
Perfectly off beat and quirky, Zombie in Love is a charming story of Mortimer, a zombie, trying to find a new love and a date to the Cupid’s Ball.

In a zombie sense, Mortimer has been around a while, but the ladies do not appreciate his affections. Modern girls are not into worm-filled boxes of chocolates or human hearts. They do not like diamond rings with the previous owner’s finger still attached or Mortimer’s arms falling off when he tries to work out at the gym. This does not deter him. The
Tasha
Mortimer the zombie is lonely. Cupid’s Ball is approaching and he has no one to take. He does try hard, giving girls candy, hearts, and even diamonds. But something about him seems to turn them off. He tries reading advice books, working out, and dance lessons, but nothing worked. Finally, he takes out an ad in the paper (which Jimmy Buffet fans will be able to hum along to) that invites that special someone to meet him at Cupid’s Ball. He dresses up and sits by the punch bowl. But no one takes ...more
Arlene Allen
I fell head over heels in love with Mortimer, the lonely zombie who couldn't get a date for the Cupid's Ball. This is such a clever book - not really for young children but a delight for geek parents to use to indoctrinate their older, soon to be geek kids. I love the maggots that almost steal the show on several pages, playing poker, baseball, in their little bowties; I love the brain pie Mortimer shares with his sweetie in the end, I love the diamond ring - with finger still attached - he trie ...more
  • The Monsters' Monster
  • Pirates Don't Take Baths
  • Chloe and the Lion
  • Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
  • Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show
Kelly is the award-winning author of several children’s books, thousands of To-Do lists, and a few recipe cards. Two of her books, Grace For President and The Sandwich Swap, were New York Times bestsellers.

Like most kids who grew up in the 1970’s, Kelly had a pet goat and bought all her clothes from the Sears catalog. Like most teenagers who grew up in the 1980’s, Kelly had really big glasses and
More about Kelly DiPucchio...

Zombie in Love (2 books)
  • Zombie in Love 2 + 1
Gaston Grace for President Crafty Chloe Gilbert Goldfish Wants a Pet Clink

“Each time a girl approached the table, Mortimer would smile. Like this: And each time the girl would shriek and run away.” 2 likes