Start by marking “Ghosts by Daylight Love, War, and Redemption” as Want to Read:
Ghosts by Daylight Love, War, and Redemption
Preview

Ghosts by Daylight Love, War, and Redemption

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  24 reviews
An enthralling, deeply moving memoir from one of our foremost American war correspondents.

Janine di Giovanni has spent most of her careerâmore than twenty yearsâin war zones recording events on behalf of the voiceless. From Sarajevo to East Timor, from Sierra Leone to Afghanistan, Iraq, and Somalia, she has been under siege and under fire.

Along the way she meets Bruno, a F
Published September 20th 2011 by Knopf (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts by Daylight Love, War, and Redemption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts by Daylight Love, War, and Redemption

Catherine
Di Giovanni is a journalist. She’s been reporting on wars for over two decades. The book is her personal memoir of meeting the love of her life, Bruno, a French cameraman, in the middle of a war zone, Sarajevo. The couple eventually marries, they settle in Paris and have a son.

What struck me most, and I believe the author’s intent, was the effect of witnessing so much violence and deprivation on war correspondents. PTSD takes on so many different forms, and certainly what she experienced was ver
Asma Fedosia
Feb 06, 2012 Asma Fedosia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Asma Fedosia by: Page-Turners 2011 group
What interested me about the story was the extraordinary life Janine di Giovanni led, first as a news correspondent in dangerous conflict zones throughout the world in the mid-1990s and early-2000s, then as a newly married and new mother in Paris. "Ghosts by Daylight" tells how the former experiences in Sarajevo, Chechnya, Abidjan, and elsewhere crept stealthily into the safety and conveniences of Paris and into marriage and motherhood. Some event in Paris could trigger a painful memory from tho ...more
This memoir by a female war journalist is generally compelling, but what makes it particularly interesting is Di Giovanni's account of her complicated transition from war journalist to mother, and the subsequent break-up with her husband, another war journalist whose demons caught up with him. Though I got the feeling that she was selective in her descriptions of the difficult moments in her marriage (not wanting to present her ex-husband in too bad a light), this was still an interesting examin ...more
Emily
I don't read memoirs. This was in a pile of books a friend gave me and I don't know why I started reading it, but I did. And then I didn't stop till the end.

The story is a war reporter's recollection of wartime, siege, of falling in love, of witnessing genocide and coming to grips with death, of getting married, of giving birth and coming to grips with life, and with fear. It's the kind of story that would not be believable in fiction. Indeed, it's hard to believe as memoir. It spirals around i
Christine

Janine di Giovanni has spent most of her career—more than twenty years—in war zones recording events on behalf of the voiceless. From Sarajevo to East Timor, from Sierra Leone to Afghanistan, Iraq, and Somalia, she has been under siege and under fire.

Along the way she meets Bruno, a French reporter whose spirit and audacity are a match for her own. Their love affair spans nearly a decade and a dozen armed c
Margit
I loved the intensity of this book, its rawness and honesty. It's a book about love, war and motherhood. It's about the horrors of war and the horrors of love. It tells you that you may get terribly hurt, and that you'll never really get over that hurt, although there are moments or eben months of bliss and happiness. I think Janine di Giovanni is driven, she'll never stop being a war correspondent. And correspondent only because this is the only acceptable modern form of being in a war, other t ...more
Laurie
Very interesting insight into the life of a war correspondent. Very intimate view of her past, love, birth of her son, ...and subsequent immersion back into her chosen profession. I didn't know what to expect from this book, but was pleasantly surprised.
Melissa
She is all over the place in this book, both literally-- all over the world; and chronologically-- I have no idea when half this stuff is taking place. I'm sure that she met Bruno in 1992 or 1993 in Sarajevo, and she had her son in 2003 or 2004. All the other things that she talks about... you sort of have to guess. She's writing about her life, but she goes off on these tangents, memories of childhood or war or people she's apparently close with but hasn't mentioned yet and doesn't mention agai ...more
Christopher Russell
May 27, 2013 Christopher Russell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Christopher by: NYRB
I had a hard time getting into the book and it was only the subject matter that kept me reading. The early prose was over complicated, wordy and un-integrated. "She lay down curled in a position like an infant inside her mother" Instead of "the fetal position". BUT ... this syntax makes sense as the story unfolds and di Giovanni's over-determined identity (identities?) emerge. Is she Italian American? British? French? or does she belong only to Sarajevo? By the time she gives birth to her son, I ...more
Lisa Bulbul
Compelling. Emotional and yet never boring.
Gerry Hadden
I just finished this memoir by journalist and one-tough/tender-cookie Janine di Giovanni. Di Giovanni lays bare her heartbreaking story of life as a war correspondent in more than a dozen conflicts around the world. And how all of that can catch up with you one day or another, sooner or later, when you least expect it and maybe even think you've outrun it. I wholeheartedly recommend her book. A great love story. Love, in all its richness and limitations. Beautiful.
Eric Stone
A bit of a disappointment. There is something inherently interesting in a war correspondent's memoir, but this one read more like a simple recitation of places and events, and then when it turned to the emotional life of the writer - mostly having to do with her love affair, marriage and motherhood - it continued in the same vein. The details were interesting, inherently so, but it lacked the emotional turmoil and impact I was hoping for.
Rachel Tyndall
This was a summer holiday read and I read it in two days, I couldn't put it down. It was a gripping story with a mixture of love and war and the mixture of psychology in it really drew me in. The ending did disappoint me slightly but it was probably the most realistic way it could have finished and being a true story it is what it is. But a beautiful book and a wonderful story.
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:

Memoir by the war correspondent Janine di Giovanni about meeting her husband, a French cameraman and their battle to settle down to a normal life in Paris after years of covering brutal wars around the globe.

Linda Nichols
A beautiful story of love -- two war correspondents meet, separate, meet again, fall in love, get married, have a baby. The story is how war brought them together and how it ultimately caused their separation.
Andrew
a very good book on the real-life stories of life reporting from the warzones of the 90's, and trying to find, maintain love and life after such experience. beautiful, fast and slow, touching and well-written.
Deirdre
i didn't end up finishing this as i found the author a bit irritating and it was more focused on her efforts to have a child than getting a sense of the places she was reporting on beyond broadstrokes.
Cherie
A- Fascinating love story….a war reporter falls in love with a war journalist - about their struggle to love over space and complications, to marry, to have a baby, and after. Really interesting...
Samantha
Beautifully told story about being a witness to incredible suffering and violence, but also about love; the end drifts a bit, as if she's grown a bit weary.
☯Bettie☯
Penny
A heartbreaking memoir of war's effects from one of America's top war correspondents.
Diane Felci
An amazing woman giving great details about war and her personal life.
Nono Harhoff
fantastic, truthful and honest
Thefatconductor
Thefatconductor marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Shriram Sivaramakrishnan
Shriram Sivaramakrishnan marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Devangana
Devangana marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
  • The Stone That the Builder Refused
  • Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Man
  • On Looking: Essays
  • The Thing Itself: On the Search for Authenticity
Janine di Giovanni is one of Europe's most respected and experienced reporters, with vast experience covering war and conflict. Her reporting has been called "established, accomplished brilliance" and she has been cited as "the finest foreign correspondent of our generation".

Born in the US, she began reporting by covering the first Palestinian intifada in the late 1980s and went on to report nearl
More about Janine Di Giovanni...
Madness Visible: A Memoir of War The Place At The End Of The World: Essays From The Edge Quick And The Dead: Under Siege in Sarajevo Against the Stranger: Lives in Occupied Territory The Place At The End Of The World: Stories from the Frontline