Blue Italian

Blue Italian

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Skillfully capturing the daily quirks of life in a boisterous, working-class ethnic family--daily assaulted by family clamor, endless courses of food, embarrassment and fierce love--Blue Italian traces the pitfalls of the young life and three-year marriage of a wise-cracking and heart-winning heroine, Rosa Salvatore. With an ear for acid dialogue and an eye for everyday ir...more
Published November 10th 1997 by Delta (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Italian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Italian

Cathy
Blue Italian is so moving, so different in tone from Rita Ciresi's later novels. It's the type of book you know the ending by the second chapter, and as I kept reading it was like prodding a scab. Did I really want to continue watching Rosa fall in love with Gary? Did I want to see what they go they go through before he ultimately succumbs from cancer (not really a spoiler -- most of the novel is told in flashback, and as I mentioned earlier, it talks about his death in the second chapter)? Then...more
Steph Green
I think I am the only person I know who has read this book, and I have read it multiple times. It's a tale of a woman from a working class, Italian neighborhood in New Haven who falls in love with a Jewish guy from a fancy background. Challenges ensue. The plot may sound hackneyed and predictable but Ciresi's characters, Rosa and Gary, are multi-dimensional and flawed, which makes the story take unexpected turns that depart from the usual tensions over religion, money, and culture that one would...more
Lisa Gs
This story was emotionally charged but captured my attention it highlights the value of relationships & never taking anything for granted.
Lisa
The characters in this story made this book a fun read for me even though the ending was sad. The Italian references were spot on (in my family anyway). I just loved Gary's sarcastic wit with his wife and mother-in-law. This book really should have gotten more attention. It is just as good as any fiction that is currently out.
Liz
A fun quick read. The language used by the characters seemed so real and gave an authentic flavor to the Italian and Jewish components. Rosa's and Gary's embarrasment of their respective families was palbable. It was easy to like this couple and even though you know what the ending will be it was well written.
Cindy
As unfunny as "Sometimes I Dream in Italian" was funny. This chronicles a young married couple through courtship, marriage, in-laws, miscarriage, and death of the husband from cancer. It was interesting but too grim. The bride complains all the time and never expresses her love.
Melissa
Throughout the first 2/3 of the book, just wanted to tell them to get over their childhoods already! However, the end of the book allowed enough growth of the characters that I could muster up some sympathy and even cried at one point. Not my favorite.
I really liked this one, despite the fact that it made me want to cry at times. The ending was a bit predictable. I especially enjoyed the author's liberal use of Italian slang and curse words - it reminds me of my family.
Kelly
I had fun with this one. This novel truly shows the intricacies of marriage and family dynamics. It's a bitter sweet tale that shows how we can love and hate our spouses at the same time - and that's normal!
Irving
Jun 30, 2013 Irving added it
Italian woman Jewish man, romance ensues and they get married. Family life explored. Love but arguments. Italian family life and Jewish family life. Man Yale affluent family. Man get sick as story starts.
Tree
The many Italian references and originality kept my interest, though I want to scream at the protagonist to stop feeling so Catholic and therefore guilty for things that weren't her fault.
Jeanie
The story of an Italian American women and her Jewish husband, it goes through their marriage and the ultimate crumbling....pretty good
Lois
A story of love, marriage and families. It made my laugh and cry. Just a good book to curl up with and enjoy.
Karyn
Jun 16, 2008 Karyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Karyn by: Jen Reilly
I think I learned vague things about the geography of Connecticut from this book.
Laurie
I don't remember this book at all...gave it the benefit of the doubt with 2 stars...
colleen
after enjoying most of her other work, i found this one very disappointing.
Julia
parts funny but overall sad and no ending.
Becky
Just a romance novel, but one I really liked!
Karen
Good book but what an ending! It was horrible.
Kathy
Eh...it was just okay.
Eveline
Eveline is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2014
Obsmama
Obsmama marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Donna McGee
Donna McGee marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Maura Badji
Maura Badji marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Rita Ciresi was born in New Haven, Connecticut, a city which serves as the backdrop for most of her fiction. Ciresi is the author of three award-winning novels and two short-story collections that address the Italian-American experience.

Her latest novel, Bring Back My Body to Me, was a semi-finalist for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award and a runner-up for the Faulkner/Wisdom Novella Award. Publ...more
More about Rita Ciresi...
Pink Slip Sometimes I Dream in Italian Remind Me Again Why I Married You Mother Rocket Bring Back My Body to Me