Start by marking “Blue Italian” as Want to Read:
Blue Italian

Blue Italian

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  212 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Skillfully capturing the daily quirks of life in a boisterous, working-class ethnic family--daily assaulted by family clamor, endless courses of food, embarrassment and fierce love--Blue Italian traces the pitfalls of the young life and three-year marriage of a wise-cracking and heart-winning heroine, Rosa Salvatore. With an ear for acid dialogue and an eye for everyday ir ...more
Published November 10th 1997 by Delta (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Italian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Italian

Patrick
Feb 08, 2015 Patrick rated it liked it
A story about a woman from Connecticut raised in an Italian-American family. She seems to struggle with her background, her family, and life. She meets and eventually marries a Yale law student, who is from Long Island, and is an only child from a Jewish family. There is a lot to connect in the story to the title..."Blue Italian". That said, I picked up the book to read because the author is a woman, writing about a woman. I figured, as a male, I could peer inside the mind of a woman, a little, ...more
Cathy
Dec 30, 2011 Cathy rated it really liked it
Blue Italian is so moving, so different in tone from Rita Ciresi's later novels. It's the type of book you know the ending by the second chapter, and as I kept reading it was like prodding a scab. Did I really want to continue watching Rosa fall in love with Gary? Did I want to see what they go they go through before he ultimately succumbs from cancer (not really a spoiler -- most of the novel is told in flashback, and as I mentioned earlier, it talks about his death in the second chapter)? Then ...more
Steph Green
Aug 04, 2010 Steph Green rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I think I am the only person I know who has read this book, and I have read it multiple times. It's a tale of a woman from a working class, Italian neighborhood in New Haven who falls in love with a Jewish guy from a fancy background. Challenges ensue. The plot may sound hackneyed and predictable but Ciresi's characters, Rosa and Gary, are multi-dimensional and flawed, which makes the story take unexpected turns that depart from the usual tensions over religion, money, and culture that one would ...more
Lisa Gs
Jul 15, 2014 Lisa Gs rated it it was amazing
This story was emotionally charged but captured my attention it highlights the value of relationships & never taking anything for granted.
Lisa
Jun 09, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
The characters in this story made this book a fun read for me even though the ending was sad. The Italian references were spot on (in my family anyway). I just loved Gary's sarcastic wit with his wife and mother-in-law. This book really should have gotten more attention. It is just as good as any fiction that is currently out.
Liz
Jul 09, 2010 Liz rated it liked it
A fun quick read. The language used by the characters seemed so real and gave an authentic flavor to the Italian and Jewish components. Rosa's and Gary's embarrasment of their respective families was palbable. It was easy to like this couple and even though you know what the ending will be it was well written.
Cindy
Sep 14, 2011 Cindy rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary
As unfunny as "Sometimes I Dream in Italian" was funny. This chronicles a young married couple through courtship, marriage, in-laws, miscarriage, and death of the husband from cancer. It was interesting but too grim. The bride complains all the time and never expresses her love.
Melissa
Aug 27, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok
Throughout the first 2/3 of the book, just wanted to tell them to get over their childhoods already! However, the end of the book allowed enough growth of the characters that I could muster up some sympathy and even cried at one point. Not my favorite.
Sep 04, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I really liked this one, despite the fact that it made me want to cry at times. The ending was a bit predictable. I especially enjoyed the author's liberal use of Italian slang and curse words - it reminds me of my family.
Kelly
Jul 23, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it
I had fun with this one. This novel truly shows the intricacies of marriage and family dynamics. It's a bitter sweet tale that shows how we can love and hate our spouses at the same time - and that's normal!
Irving
Jun 30, 2013 Irving added it
Italian woman Jewish man, romance ensues and they get married. Family life explored. Love but arguments. Italian family life and Jewish family life. Man Yale affluent family. Man get sick as story starts.
Tree
Dec 29, 2008 Tree rated it liked it
The many Italian references and originality kept my interest, though I want to scream at the protagonist to stop feeling so Catholic and therefore guilty for things that weren't her fault.
Jeanie
Jan 14, 2008 Jeanie rated it liked it
The story of an Italian American women and her Jewish husband, it goes through their marriage and the ultimate crumbling....pretty good
Lois
Nov 29, 2008 Lois rated it it was amazing
A story of love, marriage and families. It made my laugh and cry. Just a good book to curl up with and enjoy.
Karyn
Jun 16, 2008 Karyn rated it liked it
Recommended to Karyn by: Jen Reilly
I think I learned vague things about the geography of Connecticut from this book.
Laurie
Mar 14, 2010 Laurie rated it it was ok
I don't remember this book at all...gave it the benefit of the doubt with 2 stars...
colleen
Mar 04, 2007 colleen rated it it was ok
after enjoying most of her other work, i found this one very disappointing.
Julia
Sep 30, 2013 Julia rated it liked it
parts funny but overall sad and no ending.
Becky
Jun 04, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it
Just a romance novel, but one I really liked!
Karen
Jan 13, 2013 Karen rated it it was ok
Good book but what an ending! It was horrible.
Kathy
Jul 09, 2008 Kathy rated it it was ok
Eh...it was just okay.
Cheryl
Cheryl is currently reading it
May 03, 2016
Diane
Diane added it
Apr 28, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
  • When the World Was Young
  • End of Story
  • Stupid Cupid
  • The Boys From Eighth and Carpenter
  • Orion and the Conqueror (Orion, # 4)
  • Washington
  • Down with Love
  • The Biggest Loser: The Weight Loss Program to Transform Your Body, Health, and Life---Adapted from NBC's Hit Show!
Rita Ciresi was born in New Haven, Connecticut, a city which serves as the backdrop for most of her fiction. Ciresi is the author of three award-winning novels and two short-story collections that address the Italian-American experience.

Her latest novel, Bring Back My Body to Me, was a semi-finalist for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award and a runner-up for the Faulkner/Wisdom Novella Award. Publ
More about Rita Ciresi...