Start by marking “I Am the Wallpaper” as Want to Read:
I Am the Wallpaper

I Am the Wallpaper

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  766 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Thirteen-year-old Floey Packer feels like she’s always blended into the background. After all, she’s the frumpy younger sister of the Fabulous Lillian, a girl so popular and spontaneous that their house is always packed with a gaggle of admirers. But when Lillian suddenly gets married and heads off on a month-long honeymoon, Floey decides it’s her time to shine. Armed with ...more
Published June 8th 2011 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published May 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about I Am the Wallpaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am the Wallpaper

Audrey  *Ebook and Romance Lover*
Floey is a thirteen year old girl. She considers herself to be the wallpaper. Every time her sister comes in every body forgets about her and turns her attention to her beautiful, popular, fun sister Lillian. Floey has two best friends Azra and Wen. Curly haired Azra and Floey have a crush on Wen who is super cute even though he is their best friend. They have promised each other to never kiss Wen or be his boyfriend so they don't hurt each other.

On her thirteen birthday her aunt who has never
J
Mark Peter Hughes is, I'm convinced, secretly a teenage girl.

You know those books that are so accurate to how you felt as a teenager that they make you cringe enough to set them down several times during the reading--always with great relief to be past this life stage?

Um, yeah. Enter I Am the Wallpaper.

Floey Packer is an introvert surrounded by screaming, bratty, intrusive cousins--and a cadre of adolescent boys determined to invade what little privacy she has left. (Naturally, her mother simp
Jamie
This book has the generic feel of one written by someone who has never read a young adult novel and thinks: well, i'm writing about a thirteen year old girl, so there should be a diary, an embarassing incident involving a bra, a crush, a fight with her best friend, etc...

But more troubling is how utterly unlikeable the narrator is. She has no qualms about stealing her best friend's crush, and frequently makes commments like, "Thank God Rebecca Greenblatt was such a fatty." The only moments in wh
Marissa Farhi
I Am The Wallpaper was a very interesting book. At moments, I got a little bored. Other than getting bored, it was well-put together and I enjoyed reading it. It was a good overall book that was fun to read!
I Am The Wallpaper is about a 13 year old girl, Floey Packer, who is very ordinary and predictable. One day her best friend, Azra, tells her that and Floey wants to change that. So Floey tries to become extraordinary. Her cousins come to visit her over the summer and practically ruin her li
I love this book and in my opinion anyone who has a low self esteem should read this book. It tells the story of a teenage girl who went unnoticed and tried to change that but found that there's no body better than who you truely are. This book taught me that to be yourself is the best accomplishment.
Cynthia
I love this book and its title. And I love Wen!! It's a great story about someone trying to find out who they are and who they want to be. All while feeling left out. But trying to be different and independent.
Lottie Eve
I read this a long time ago. I plan to reread it :) I hope this is as good on the second time reading as the first time!
Sophie
good book- contemporary realism, friend problems, a diary is posted on the web- you know, the usual
Anna Martin
May 26, 2008 Anna Martin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenage girls
What I really like about this book are the haiku poems. The plot was good, too.
Unnati
I think that this book is a very good book. That is because there are lots of parts in this book where the reader shows how this girl feels instead of telling. This book is about a girl who has a big sister who is popular but she is always not noticed since her big sister takes all the attention. This book will tell you how few people might feel. This girl takes a big step to try to start doing weird and not ordinary things which gets her in a little trouble. She is blackmaled at few times. Read ...more
EJ
I Am The Wallpaper is a story of thirteen year-old Floey Packer and her summer of trying to, essentially, change herself, so she can stop “being the wallpaper.”
Honestly, I would now only rate this about 4 stars after re-reading it, but a year ago, as a thirteen year old, I did think this book was just about the best thing since sliced bread. A part of it ran true to me, I think, because I did, most of the time, feel like the wallpaper, always going unnoticed and unheard (and I think this is stil
Suebee
Floey Packer is thirteen and feels invisible, like wallpaper, especailly next to her beautiful older sister Lillian. After an incident at sister's wedding where her younger cousins force her out onto a balcony in the rain, soaking her through, she decides to become the "new and improved Floey," wearing fedoras, writing haiku and zen poetry, dying her hair purple and standing up for herself. She documents it all in her diary, while her two awful young cousins, Richard and Trish, take over her hom ...more
Stevecrandell
Floey Parker’s me-first middle school arrogance is funny enough to be tolerable. But there’s not much reason to sympathize with her. The same goes for just about everybody else in this frequently fun but haphazard story.

A few characters stand out as annoying: older sister Lilian is an attention-seeking whiner. Younger cousins Richard and Tish are devious manipulators. They supposedly gain favor once Floey decides to team up with them. The worst of their pre-teen terrorism – cyber bullying with
Olivia
I really enjoyed this story by Mark Peter Hughes. I am the Wallpaper is about a thirteen year old girl Floey Packer, who feels as though she's never been anything special compared to her fabulous glamorous older sister. When Floey's sister Lillian all at once gets married, it's Floey's time to shine. Throughout the story, you'll get to experience firsthand what Floey's journey is like as she grows as a person and becomes the "new and improved Floey Packer." But when Floey's younger cousins who a ...more
Angelina
3/8/15
Dear Reader,
I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did. I think the main message I got from this book is to be fearless and to live in the now. We are all, however important we feel, just a tiny blimp in the ever expanding universe and time. Reminded me a lot of my 13 year old self without the Zen cowboy. ;) Anyway you should pass on your knowledge. I did.

Angel
Inspiracreatiflife :D
Rated 3 stars because I thought that there were a little inappropriate things in the book, but overall, it was a good book. As I was reading the book, I knew how the characters were feelings and how they would react if they were me.
Cyndy
Just finished, I was reading with book club. I liked it. It was interesting, when I finished I still felt like there was more to learn about the characters. I did not have a clear picture in my head.
Alexa Irvin
I read this book when I was 11 and I still find myself relating to Floey every day as an 18 year old college student. That's how you know it's good. This IS my adolescence.
Brandi Johnson
Such a cute & quick read. I forget how Big everything feels at 13. This was a nice reminder to appreciate that I never have to be that age again, for better or worse.
Linde
Floey Packer has always felt like she was in the background. It doesn’t help that her older sister, Lilian, is always at the center of attention. On her thirteenth birthday, she decides to change that, all the while writing in her diary. But changing is easier said then done: her annoying cousins, Richard and Tish, come to stay at Floey’s house and her “friend” Wen won't admit that he has feelings for her. Even worse, Richard’s new neighborhood are spying on her and they have started a website a ...more
Rae Clifford
Aug 09, 2012 Rae Clifford rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 13-16
Recommended to Rae by: Goodreads
I Am the Wallpaper, by Mark Peter Hughes, is now one of my all-time favorite books. I'm not a fan of diary format or partial diary-format but it fit the book. Sometimes books overuse the diary-format.
Anyway, Floey Packer is coming of age and is tired of being "the wallpaper." She wants the be like her big sister, Lillian. Once Lillian gets married, Floey goes on an adventure with her two annoying cousins from Chicago. Along the road she gains some new friends... and enemies and over comes some f
Amber
As the story first began, I immediately took a dislike to the tone of the book. It seemed a lot younger than what an eighth grader would've sounded like and more like a grade-schooler.

As the story went on, the events that occurred in Floey's life was very predictable, and there wasn't much excitement.

Near the end, the story got better, because you know that Floey would be her old self once again and that everything would be resolved.

The only thing I didn't see coming was with Calvin in the end.

O
Danielle L
This captivated me.Sad yet beautiful.
Scott Williams
d94afad3-51f8-404c-9023-6429e988cf62
Mojo
This book will bring tears to your eyes, not sadness or happiness, hilariousness XD
You can feel the most uncomfortable to most exciting moments in this book. Filled with creative ideas as the main character, Floey, brings her voice into this. AMAZING! A+

This book is for people who likes not too passionate romance but sweet high school romance and naiiveness of a clumsy, invisible, not so popular girl, who turns our to be the greatest chic yet!
Kathryn
This book was recommended by a student who discovered it in our classroom library. Overall, this story was a little light and fluffy, but fun and entertaining. Since Flooey is struggling with who she wants to be, she discovers a lot about herself through making lots of mistakes, most of which are pretty funny. Even though this book is about a girl, and has a lot to do with boys, it's not overly girly. This would be a great, quick summer read !
Kip
Floey feels like she is unnoticed and unimportant, so after her 13th birthday, she decides to remake herself and sets out on escapades to find the new Floey. When her private journal gets posted on the internet, adventures ensue. While this novel feels like it just skims the surface of the issues Floey runs into, it is a fun read and Floey definitely stands up for herself, so it fits easily into a text set of female agency. (12 to adult) ...more
Suzanne
Aug 04, 2007 Suzanne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult
Hm. I have mixed feelings about this book. Floey Packer, the protagonist, is a likeable enough character. I think the problem lies with Mark Peter Hughes trying to write from the perspective of an adolescent girl. Floey's age and "problems" would ordinarily appeal to younger YA's (6, 7, and 8th grade girls), but some of the events are out of the scope of an 8th grader. If Hughes made Floey 2 years older, the story would have worked better.
Ashley Mendoza
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BOOK!If you are really into YA books like me, you will love this book. The story is interesting and fun, as well as nail-biting. After finishing the book I realized Mark Peter Hughes wrote Lemonade Mouth, which I only thought it was a movie. If you have the opportunity to read lemonde mouth and I am the wallpaper I really recommend reading I am the wallpaper first. You will be surprised.
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • Life as It Comes
  • A Girl Named Mister
  • A Stolen Life
  • Forever Changes
  • Chocolat, Volume 2
  • Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #1)
  • Confessions of a Closet Catholic
  • The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman
  • Shelf Life
  • A Banquet for Hungry Ghosts: A Collection of Deliciously Frightening Tales
  • North by Night: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • After the Moment
  • Take Two (Trading Faces, #2)
  • Good Enough
  • Earth Odyssey: Around the World in Search of Our Environmental Future
  • Behind the Masks: The Diary of Angeline Reddy, Bodie, California, 1880 (Dear America)
  • The World's Shortest Stories of Love and Death
Mark Peter Hughes was born in Liverpool, England in the Oxford Street Maternity Hospital, the same hospital as John Lennon. His family moved to the U.S.A. when he was one and most of his childhood was spent in Barrington, Rhode Island.

Mark’s first novel, I Am the Wallpaper, is the the story of a girl who feels unnoticed and ends up being an unwitting online sensation. Soon after its publication h
More about Mark Peter Hughes...
Lemonade Mouth A Crack in the Sky Lemonade Mouth Puckers Up Lemonade Mouth: Adapted Movie Tie-In Edition

“Bright and wild like fire. Ha. Friendless and alone like a pathetic loser was more like it.” 6 likes