La Mejor Mascota

La Mejor Mascota

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  66 reviews
This boy-wants-dog story with a twist is both snappy and endearing. The little boy's mother won't let him have a dog. Dogs are too messy and too loud. But she says he can have a dragon for a pet&150if he can find one. Enter the coolest&150but naughtiest&150pet ever. The dragon is messier and louder than any dog. And he will not leave. How will the boy ever get...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Fondo de Cultura Economica USA (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about La Mejor Mascota, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Mejor Mascota

Kathryn
4.5 STARS

I loved almost everything about this book! The illustrations are absolutely wonderful; they have a retro '50s feel while also managing to be very hip (in one illustration, the mom appears to be doing yoga or something). The little boy is just so darn cute and earnest in his desire for a dog and is always dismissed; so, while I can't quite say I condone his methods for getting one, I must say I couldn't exactly blame him, either. The escapades with the pet dragon are a hoot! I'm sure thi...more
Lisa Vegan
Sep 04, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who like dogs, or dragons; kids who love their companion animals
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Charming! Very amusing!

This one grabbed me from the cover illustration and kept me riveted all the way through.

This story had me chortling all the way through it. It’s a very funny story about a very roundabout way for a young boy to convince mom that a dog is the best pet of all.

My favorite scene had to be the spaghetti in the bathtub, and also the playing with but not putting away toys, but every page of text and its illustration were funny and beautifully moved along the story.

Unfortunately,...more
Randie
A clever boy wants a pet dog but his mom says no. After a few days, the boy asks his mom for a dragon. She agrees but soon regrets it. Can a pet dog be the solution to her dragon woes?

Clever story with illustrations resembling 1960s sitcoms.
Angela
The Best Pet (BOOK) of All! My favorite in the kid-wants-a-pet genre of picture books. Full review to follow at www.my3books.com later this month (June 2011).
Cindy
Jr Librarian picked this one for me to read - in part because we're lobbying for a new dog. That and there is a DRAGON in this book! The dragon was pretty cool at first, but I don't think I needed to read too far to see that the dragon was not going to be an ideal pet. Poor mom for getting caught on a technicality - she probably should've put her for down before the dragon ever got there. My son and I giggled over the pictures and laughed at the story - even if I do worry that he might have been...more
Janine Weston
The Best Pet of All by David LaRochelle, Illustrated by Hanako Wakiyama

Let's take a survey...
Raise your hand if you have a pet at home.
How many have dogs?
How many have cats?
How many have fish?
How many have dragons? Nobody? Anybody think they would want a dragon for a pet?

In The Best Pet of All by David LaRochelle, we meet a young boy who wants a dog more than anything...

On Monday, I asked my mother if I could have a dog.
"A dog is a good pet," I said.
"No," she said. "Dogs are too MESSY."

On Tuesda...more
Matthew
Amusing book. If you haven't read it, give it a shot. The story is about a little boy who wants a dog. Now, that in itself isn't too unusual for a children's book. However, the roundabout method he employs to convince his mother that he should have a dog sets this story apart from the rest of the pack. He gets a dragon instead, since his mother doesn't take him seriously when he asks for one after his dog requests are denied. He brings home the dragon, who turns out to be a rather ill-suited hou...more
Fjóla
Very cute, and tongue-in-cheek. If you like the retro style of illustrations, you might also want to check out Chris Van Dusen and his If I Built a House and If I Built a Car, among others.
Book Concierge
A child who REALLY wants something, will find an inventive way around any argument a parent presents against whatever it is the child wants.

“On Monday I asked my mother if I could have a dog.” Thus begins one boy’s quest to get his dream pet. But his mother refuses again and again. A dog is too messy or too loud. So the boy asks for a dragon. Mom says if he can find one, he can have one. After searching in the park, on the beach, even at the zoo, he finds the dragon in the drugstore, “wearing d...more
Heidi
Saw this in passing the bookshelf and had to read another book with a dragon for a pet, especially if LaRochelle wrote it. The pictures for this book are adorable. The story was fun with a humorous ending. I think the preschool kids would enjoy this in a storytime. May have to make them look close at the end so they can see the humor part--and for the younger may have to explain, but I still think they'll like it.
Mark Baker
A kid teams up with a dragon to convince him mom to let him have a dog. Imaginative and fun, although I'm not completely comfortable with the kid conning his mom.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Ellen Ramsey
The young narrator pursues an unusual technique for acquiring his heart's desire--a dog. Try a dragon instead. A dog will seem like a splendid pet, a perfect pet by comparison. And besides dragons are definitely afraid of dogs. Brilliant writing and illustrating!
Karen
Such a good book! The story is great: repetitive without being annoying; funny -- the dragon eats spaghetti in the bathtub and roasts hot dogs in the living room, but the illustrations make this book buy-worthy.

Hanako Wakiyama is great at capturing a retro feel that is somehow modern. Mom is this book is so stylish. (I love that. Frumpy moms in illustrations depress me.) Yet, she seems relate-able to those without her slim physique and fun clothes. The little boy is adorable, and often pictured...more
Karen
OK...so this is about a little boy who uses a dragon to manipulate his mother...but I think it is a cute story. Maybe because my kids are not likely to ever get a dog. LOL
Lindsey
A little boy desperately wants a dog, but his mom says no. He then asks for a dragon and she said if he could find one, he could have one. He finds one and brings him home, only to find that he is messy and is a nuisance. The mother wants to get rid of him a.s.a.p. so the boy talks her into getting a dog to scare the dragon away.

The illustrations are so cute and funny. This book had me smiling from page to page. I like how at the end it showed the dragon giving the boy a thumbs up showing that...more
Zoë Katherine Littlefield
Two stars because this book told me dragons weren't good and I love dragons!
Malissa
Mary
This is the story of a little boy who tries desperately to convince his mother that they should get a dog. At first, she says no to every reason he can think to give her. Then, he tries a different tactic...he asks his mother if they can have a dragon for a pet. But a dragon isn’t as great a pet as they expect it to be! Luckily, dragons hate dogs...so they are finally allowed to get a dog--and they all live happily ever after. The pictures are great--and the story is one that many children exper...more
Ginger
The picture of the dragon in the bathtub full of spaghetti and meatballs is the highlight of this story for me. Some nice storytelling embedded in the visuals (it's only in the pictures, not the text, that you realize the boy has enlisted the dragon in his scheme to get a dog). My favorite picture book scripted by David LaRochelle is still The End, but this one was quite nice. I liked it slightly better than my listeners, though it did engage them. (I'd say it's a 3.5 for them, a 4 for me?)
Dolly
Mar 02, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story about a little boy who really wants a dog. He finds a really unusual way to convince his mom that, indeed, a dog would be the best pet for them. He employs a bit of reverse psychology and our girls were sure to point it out. The illustrations have a very retro feel to them, and I must admit that I loved the mother's clothes and sense of style. It's a bit of a bizarre story, but we really enjoyed reading it together.
Mindy
Cute picture book about a boy who finds a clever way to trick his mom into letting him have a dog. My 5yo didn't pick up on the subtext in the illustrations on her own, and we ended up having a conversation about why the boy and the dragon were giving each other the thumbs up in one of the pictures. I liked the understated humor and the retro illustrations. 5yo liked the dragon and the happy ending. It's a winner.
Maria
In effort to convince his mother to let him get a dog, the little boy in this book invites a dragon home to play with his toys.

Why I picked this book up: I always wanted a pet dragon, and I would have loved to find a dragon and bring him home.

Why I finished it: I loved the illustrations in this story... the mom was great. Fun book, but I have to admit that I would prefer a dragon to a dog.
Robin
Charming (if predicatable) story -- boy wants a dog, mom says no, continues to ask, she continues to say no, asks for a dragon for a pet and she says sure, if you can find one. He does and the dragon is not the greatest pet . . . but so winningly drawn! In the end, the dog is the better choice.
Gina Weibel
This witty book makes me laugh! It's one of my new favorites. The mom doesn't want to get a dog, for all sorts of reasons, and when the boy suggests a dragon, she goes for it (If you can find one.) After having a dragon for a while, they realize how nice a dog would be!
Susan
I checked this out from the public library. It was soooo cute. Reminded me of my kiddos asking me for a dog. Check out the sly little thumbs up the boy and the dragon give eachother in the end.
The mom in this book is pretty stylin' for a kids picture book too.
jacky
A cute and clever story about getting a pet. The mother doesn't want a dog until she realizes how much of a nightmare a dragon for a pet can be. What was fun was that the dragon was more like a bad house guest than how a real dragon would be a bad pet.
Heather
A boy asks for a dog but his mother does not like the idea. He asks for a dragon and she agrees on the condition that he can find a dragon. He does and dragons do not make great pets. Great story and illustrations! Suited for children 2 years old and up.
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • Saving Sweetness
  • Clip-Clop
  • Posy
  • I'm a Shark
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Willoughby & the Lion
  • A Visitor for Bear (Bear and Mouse, #1)
  • Always In Trouble
  • The Doghouse
  • Hungry Hen
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • What Pet To Get?
Absolutely Positively Not It's a Tiger! Moo! The End How Martha Saved Her Parents From Green Beans