Start by marking “Seeking Rapture: Scenes from a Woman's Life” as Want to Read:
Seeking Rapture: Scenes from a Woman's Life

Seeking Rapture: Scenes from a Woman's Life

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A NEW YORK TIMES NOTABLE BOOK

In this exquisite book of personal reflections on a woman’s life as a child, wife, and mother, Kathryn Harrison, “a writer of extraordinary gifts” (Tobias Wolff), recalls episodes in her life, exploring how the experiences of childhood recur in memory, to be transformed and sometimes healed through the lives we lead as adults. At the heart of S
Published July 6th 2011 by Random House (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Seeking Rapture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeking Rapture

Natalie Bowers
I don't often read memoirs, mostly because they can be a little too intimate to me. I sometimes feel uncomfortable (in a squicky kind of way that I don't feel when I read fiction) knowing the nitty-gritty, hitherto-private details of real people's lives. Still, I read them occasionally because they are interesting, and I know I should read as widely as possible. Seeking Rapture was one of those memoirs that made me ill at ease. It was very honest, and that was part of the problem. I just didn't ...more
Ellen Keim
Harrison has a style that is unflinchingly honest; that was obvious in her memoir about her affair with her father (The Kiss). This book is also a memoir of sorts: it doesn't cover all of her life--she doesn't touch on her relationship with her father, for instance--but it does focus on her relationships with her mother, her grandmother and her daughter; i.e., scenes from a woman's life.

I almost didn't finish Seeking Rapture. Sometimes the author's honesty is a little hard to take, especially wh
Audrey
Harrison leaves no wound unprobed, no savage glee uncelebrated, no nit unpicked (literally) EXCEPT the part of her life where she had an affair with her own father!!! How could this be left out?! Well, she did write a whole book about the affair. These essays mainly address her life as a daughter/granddaughter, a wife, and mother. That might not sound so riveting by comparison, but Harrison is ruthless, as the subject and as her own chronicler. She unpacks her childhood and her relationship to t ...more
Emily
Breathtaking memoir. I read this entire book on my way to England from California and I could hardly put it down. Her writing style is magnetic and her story is very compelling. She writes honestly and sometimes harshly about a life that took her into strange yet beautiful circumstances. Good book for a book club too.
kathi
Dec 18, 2012 kathi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Another book from the author of "The Kiss". I didn't read the book but thumbed through it and read her defending the affair she had with her father. I thought, "no way"....so I returned it to the library and will not check it out again. I am so glad I didn't buy this book from Amazon !
Kim
Found the book a bit disjointed, jumping back and forth in time. Also the author's relationship with her mother and grandmother and her lack of self-esteem made for uncomfortable reading at times and I didn't really enjoy the style or the way it was written.
John Youngblood
I so appreciate Kathryn's honesty and writing. Her prose is arresting and inspiring.
Beth Shields-Szostak
first edition, signed by author
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Monica Stone
Monica Stone marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Sian
Sian marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Lucinda Riva
Lucinda Riva marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Anittah
Anittah marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Lori Strode
Lori Strode marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Sara Sullivan
Sara Sullivan marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Lorryn
Lorryn added it
Jan 14, 2015
Ian
Ian added it
Dec 23, 2014
Suzi
Suzi marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Claire Lombardo
Claire Lombardo marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
  • No Laughing Matter
  • For You, for You I am Trilling These Songs
  • Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction
  • The Territory of Men: A Memoir
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • Prozac Diary
  • Room to Grow: An Appetite for Life
  • Feed Me!: Writers Dish About Food, Eating, Weight, and Body Image
  • Love, Sara
  • The Box Children
Kathryn Harrison is the author of the novels Envy, The Seal Wife, The Binding Chair, Poison, Exposure, and Thicker Than Water.

She has also written memoirs, The Kiss and The Mother Knot, a travel memoir, The Road To Santiago, a biography, Saint Therese Of Lisieux, and a collection of personal essays, Seeking Rapture.

Ms. Harrison is a frequent reviewer for The New York Times Book Review; her essay
More about Kathryn Harrison...
The Kiss Enchantments The Binding Chair or, A Visit from the Foot Emancipation Society Poison Exposure