Start by marking “Seeking Rapture: Scenes from a Woman's Life” as Want to Read:
Seeking Rapture: Scenes from a Woman's Life

Seeking Rapture: Scenes from a Woman's Life

A NEW YORK TIMES NOTABLE BOOK

In this exquisite book of personal reflections on a woman’s life as a child, wife, and mother, Kathryn Harrison, “a writer of extraordinary gifts” (Tobias Wolff), recalls episodes in her life, exploring how the experiences of childhood recur in memory, to be transformed and sometimes healed through the lives we lead as adults. At the heart of S
Published July 6th 2011 by Random House (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Seeking Rapture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeking Rapture

Ellen Keim
Jun 23, 2013 Ellen Keim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Harrison has a style that is unflinchingly honest; that was obvious in her memoir about her affair with her father (The Kiss). This book is also a memoir of sorts: it doesn't cover all of her life--she doesn't touch on her relationship with her father, for instance--but it does focus on her relationships with her mother, her grandmother and her daughter; i.e., scenes from a woman's life.

I almost didn't finish Seeking Rapture. Sometimes the author's honesty is a little hard to take, especially wh
Natalie Bowers
Jul 24, 2011 Natalie Bowers rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I don't often read memoirs, mostly because they can be a little too intimate to me. I sometimes feel uncomfortable (in a squicky kind of way that I don't feel when I read fiction) knowing the nitty-gritty, hitherto-private details of real people's lives. Still, I read them occasionally because they are interesting, and I know I should read as widely as possible. Seeking Rapture was one of those memoirs that made me ill at ease. It was very honest, and that was part of the problem. I just didn't ...more
Audrey
Jan 29, 2015 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic, american, memoir
Harrison leaves no wound unprobed, no savage glee uncelebrated, no nit unpicked (literally) EXCEPT the part of her life where she had an affair with her own father!!! How could this be left out?! Well, she did write a whole book about the affair. These essays mainly address her life as a daughter/granddaughter, a wife, and mother. That might not sound so riveting by comparison, but Harrison is ruthless, as the subject and as her own chronicler. She unpacks her childhood and her relationship to t ...more
Emily
Feb 10, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking memoir. I read this entire book on my way to England from California and I could hardly put it down. Her writing style is magnetic and her story is very compelling. She writes honestly and sometimes harshly about a life that took her into strange yet beautiful circumstances. Good book for a book club too.
kathi
Dec 05, 2009 kathi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Another book from the author of "The Kiss". I didn't read the book but thumbed through it and read her defending the affair she had with her father. I thought, "no way"....so I returned it to the library and will not check it out again. I am so glad I didn't buy this book from Amazon !
Kim
Feb 02, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Found the book a bit disjointed, jumping back and forth in time. Also the author's relationship with her mother and grandmother and her lack of self-esteem made for uncomfortable reading at times and I didn't really enjoy the style or the way it was written.
John Youngblood
Oct 05, 2013 John Youngblood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I so appreciate Kathryn's honesty and writing. Her prose is arresting and inspiring.
Beth Shields-Szostak
first edition, signed by author
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2010
Cathydny
Cathydny rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2009
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Brie
Brie rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2011
nicole
nicole rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2007
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2008
Laura rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Mary E Schindler
Mary E Schindler rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2017
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2009
E.
E. rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2008
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2008
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2008
Jean Hanson
Jean Hanson rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2017
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2013
emma kate tsai
emma kate tsai rated it really liked it
May 08, 2012
Joanna
Joanna rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2016
Valeda
Valeda rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Robyn Ethell
Robyn Ethell rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • For You, for You I am Trilling These Songs
  • No Laughing Matter
  • The Territory of Men: A Memoir
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction
  • The Source of All Things: A Memoir
  • For the May Queen
  • Things Unspoken
  • Fines tranches d'angoisse
Kathryn Harrison is the author of the novels Envy, The Seal Wife, The Binding Chair, Poison, Exposure, and Thicker Than Water.

She has also written memoirs, The Kiss and The Mother Knot, a travel memoir, The Road To Santiago, a biography, Saint Therese Of Lisieux, and a collection of personal essays, Seeking Rapture.

Ms. Harrison is a frequent reviewer for The New York Times Book Review; her essay
More about Kathryn Harrison...