Start by marking “Bitter Blessings” as Want to Read:
Bitter Blessings

Bitter Blessings

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Megan has the perfect life, but when her mother dies in an accident, everything spins out of control. With the rest of her family falling apart, Megan must confront her past to uncover the truths that will keep everyone together. Thought-provoking and heartfelt, this book shows that even in times of trial, you can often find blessings.
Published July 8th 2011 by Cedar Fort, Incorporated/C F I Distribution

To ask other readers questions about Bitter Blessings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter Blessings

Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
First off, let me say that I am grateful to be a part of the blog tour for Bitter Blessings. Second, before the actual review, I have to say I love the cover for this book. So pretty!

Okay, so the title of this LDS fiction book, Bitter Blessings, both intrigued me and made me a bit hesitant. Bitter Blessings doesn't exactly sound happy. It's sort of a contradiction in and of itself. But, the more I thought about it and the farther I got into the book, the more I realized that a lot of the blessin
Megan and her family are holding things together after the death of their father until one day they get a visit from the Tuscon Police and receive news that mom will not be home for dinner. Killed in a car accident, mom leaves her own mother as the primary caregiver to Megan and her two younger sisters. But Grandma hasn't worked in years and turns to Megan to help support the small family. In a snowball of hard events she must put the pieces back together as to why insurance is refusing to pay o ...more
(Shirley) Thank you for coming to the cemetery today. Sorry about the rain, but at least we’ve got my big golf umbrella to stand under. I love the sound of rain. One thing I don’t love is reading cliché “conversion stories.” They make me want to gag on my Postum.
“Bitter Blessings” may be classified as a conversion story, but I think it is so much more. For one thing, it’s not sappy. It’s actually more like a delicious mystery, with a compelling twist that I did not see coming. Each character is
Karlene Browning
I didn't think I would like this novel--it started a little slow for me; I knew it was going to end up as a Mormon conversion story and I was expecting cliché; and it just sounded like it was going to be totally depressing. I went into it only because my arm was twisted.

BUT. Wow. I really liked it. It starts with Megan's mother dying. Then she loses her job. Then her sister spins out of control. Then she discovers an old family secret. A small part of me was thinking, this is too crazy to be rea
Inspired Kathy
I hadn't read the summary for this book prior to reading it so I had no clue what to expect. In all honesty I had a hard time getting into this story until I hit the half way point. Then I was hooked and flew through it, reading the second half in one sitting.

This is a book by an LDS author but the first half of the book there is no mention of religion. The book's focus is Megan and how her life is thrown upside down with the unexpected death of her mother. Life is not easy for Megan or her sist
Susan Dayley
Morning was a harsh slap of reality. Mom wasn’t there to wake us up, and she wasn’t going to be . . . ever again. Last night was hot tears and shock, today was cold sick in the pit of my stomach. What were we supposed to be doing the day after the end of the world? How was I supposed to pick up and go on? I had no parents left. Were there instruction manuals for the newly orphaned?

Bitter Blessings by Christine Mehring is a “thought-provoking and heartfelt” novel.
With the tragic, unexpected deat
See complete review at Squeaky Clean Reads

Overall Review: It’s refreshing to come across a character like Megan in Bitter Blessings: strong, smart, and relatable. With all that has occurred in the past few weeks, Megan tries hard to do good and author Christine Mehring does an impressive job at making the reader feel deeply invested in her journey. In fact, readers will have a hard time putting this book down, as it pulls you in and makes you want to know how Megan’s pursuit of truth will end. D
Bitter blessings is such a great read because:
-Megan is likable and relatable. You want her to find out the family secret and you want to see some relief and happiness given back to the family.
-Good supporting characters are written throughout the story. Her best friend Adam and his father, Megan's lawyer, add the support and relief that the readers need amongst the sadness in this story.
-There is also a surprise twist where her friends' Mormon religion is identified, and it hits close to home f
This story was a little bit slow in the beginning. I think it was an okay read.
loved reading this book! It made me laugh and it made me cry, and I didn't want to put it down. It reminded me of the importance of watching my tongue in moments of anger or frustration. The writing flowed well and the book was a pleasure to read. I couldn't help but love the main character, Megan, in spite of her faults. I also loved her best friend Adam, and all of the others who reached out to help Megan and her family. If you are looking for a fun, uplifting new story, this LDS Fiction Nove ...more
I really loved this book. I'm not handing out 5 stars too much anymore, but even though I wouldn't say this is one of my absolute favorites, I would still put it above the 4's.

Bitter Blessings is definitely not your typical "LDS novel." I really enjoyed it, I fell in love with the characters, and I couldn't read it fast enough!

You can read more of my thoughts on my blog, since I did a review of this book:
Christine Jensen

This was a wonderful story. Megan deals with so many different challenges throughout her story. As the oldest of three sisters, the struggles experienced by her family are a heavy weight on her shoulder. I don't want to spill the beans on all of the twists and turns this book takes (No spoilers here :) ) but some of the things Megan learns will definitely surprise you. Luckily she has some good friends to help her along the way. Megan soon finds the blessings hiding in her trials.
I was stunned at how real everything felt while I read this. I don't always enjoy this type of book because it feels too real to endure. But I was impressed with the emotions Mehring was able to provoke in me as I read this. It is a touching story of faith and courage. (You may need to keep a box of tissues nearby.) This story contained a bit of romance, heartache, and some soul searching. In the end, it was an enjoyable book illustrating the bonds of family.

I really want to give this book a 3 1/2 stars, but that's not available, so you get 4 stars. It's an unusual LDS novel, in fact it doesn't read like one at all until the end, and then some of that was the part that seemed a bit far-fetched. It was an intriguing quick read. I do like good endings, so I went for it, but it was a bit to neatly tied up for the circumstances, but then the Lord can do all things...
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
You know I actually really liked this novel. Some people might try to claim that the events in this novel were a little too far-fetched, but I disagree.

This novel beautifully interweaves themes of faith, friendship, and family.

A great novel. I recieved this novel for review; however, I did honestly like this novel. I will be posting my official review on my blog soon. So stay tuned.

This was a good book. I really liked it. It is the story of three girls and their Grandmother. They and their mother moved many times. The girls' mother dies. They were told that their Father had died years before. They find out that it is not true.
Christina Tarbet
I thought this was a good book. I liked the plot. It had a few surprises in it! I got done and wished the story continued or had a sequel :)
Mandi Slack
Amazing debut novel! Read my full review here:
Even for a LDS novel, the storyline was really weak and farfetched.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Hanna marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Emma marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Samantha marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Becca marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013