Start by marking “Bridge of Dreams (Ephemera, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bridge of Dreams (Ephemera, #3)

Bridge of Dreams (Ephemera #3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,897 ratings  ·  116 reviews
When wizards threaten Glorianna Belladonna and her work to keep Ephemera balanced, her brother Lee sacrifices himself in order to save her-and ends up an asylum inmate in the city of Vision.

But a darkness is spreading through Vision, perplexing the Shamans who protect it. And Lee is the only one who can shed any light on its mysteries...
Published March 6th 2012 by Roc Hardcover (first published March 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bridge of Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridge of Dreams

Can't Wait Books of 2012
303rd out of 2,518 books — 15,931 voters
Cold Days by Jim ButcherKing of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceA Perfect Blood by Kim HarrisonFair Game by Patricia BriggsTricked by Kevin Hearne
Science Fiction & Fantasy Titles for 2012!
105th out of 651 books — 1,480 voters

More lists with this book...

M—
I'm just going to have to admit that Ephemera is my least favorite of Bishop's works and be done with it. As excited as I had been to learn of the development of a Lee-centered book to round out this trilogy, I'm a bit nonplussed to discover it crammed with so many other viewpoint characters it hardly feels Lee-centered at all. I wonder if Bishop slipped her grasp of him, and indeed of the whole world, between the writing the first book and writing this last. Two and half stars.

As happenstance,
E.
Apr 25, 2012 E. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Lee is a rare Bridge and brother to the supremely powerful Glorianna Belladonna. In this chapter of the 'Ephemera' series he must face the feelings that he has had since his beloved sister has become both Glorianna and Belladonna and deal with the lack of resonance he's experiencing and the feelings of resentment he has toward Michael the Magician whom he feels has replaced him in her life. A supreme sacrifice thrusts him in the midst of a city named Vision which is being overrun by the darkness ...more
Barbara ★
I loved the first two books in this series but I read them years and years ago so I wasn't sure what to expect from this unexpected sequel. I'm actually embarrassed to say that I don't remember Lee from the previous books. Apparently he wasn't a strong enough secondary character to leave any impression but then again the fact that I can remember anything about these books after 4+ years says a lot.

I had problems with Lee's jealously over his sisters happiness at finding a man and supplanting Lee
Kristina Circelli
Patrícia
Opinião do blogue Chaise Longue: http://girlinchaiselongue.blogspot.pt...

Com Filha do Sangue, Anne Bishop tornou-se um dos nomes mais adorados da fantasia, principalmente no que a gótica concerne. Uma autora com uma voz única, alguém inimitável e genial, Anne tem-nos passado o seu gosto por histórias densas e românticas através das suas próprias palavras, através de personagens que nos marcam e nunca mais esqueceremos. Para além da escrita, dedica-se a jardinagem e tem um certo apreço a música b
Lisa
The world is broken into pieces. Lee and his family are charged with connecting the pieces and maintaining a balance within them, guiding the childlike spirit of the world, Ephemera. But darkness threatens and it has its heart set on Lee's sister. To protect his family, Lee hurls himself into a disconnected piece of the world where he is brutally attacked. There he encounters Daniel and Zhahar, who are threatened by darkness in their own way. Will the three of them be able to fend off the darkne ...more
I have to begin with this, Bridge of Dreams made me really happy to read. I've read everything Anne Bishop has ever published. And I've enjoyed all of it. I thought until recently that there wasn't going to be another Ephemera book, and I am glad that this was the third.

Bridge of Dreams centers on Lee, Glorianna Belladonna's brother, and what happens after Belladonna's return from the landscape where she trapped the Eater of the World. Essentially, without giving anything away, Lee leaves Glori
Gardavson
The first half of the book was a 5 star, the last half a 3, so I settled for an overall 4. In the first half, Lee struggles with accepting his sister as she is now, with being split into light and dark with less or no middle ground. I understood his struggle. Belladonna would be a difficult personality for someone of balance to accept. He meets Zhahar, who is a very interesting character, and Danyl, whom I liked very well. The last half got too caught up in boundaries and borders and resonations ...more
Lyn
In 1 sentence? I loved it.

Having read some of the reviews that there was too many viewpoints or too confusing with Tryads and stuff, I decided to revisit the entire Ephemera series. Starting from The Voice, Sebastian, Belladonna and finally, Bridge of Dreams. And it worked great in my opiniion.

This book starts out with the pain and misgiving from Lee that he lost his sister. I enjoyed reading his struggles, and his pain that he couldn't or wouldn't accept what his sister is right now. The book g
Sonya
There was not a strong, well-defined plot. It has been a long while since I’ve read Sebastian and Belladonna, so I can’t remember if the writing style was the same, but it wasn’t clear to me who was the main character. Based on the title, the main character should have been Lee, but Danyal and Sholeh Zeela a Zhahar seemed to receive equal time.

I was interested in what happened next for all the characters, which kept me reading. But overall, the story was not interesting. To me, this book is not
Caroline
Gave this an honest go, but I just can't get interested in this series again. Belladonna was a rough read for me, and I'd forgotten a decent amount of what had gone on in that and Sebastian, but I'm finding I don't really care. I love, love, love her Black Jewels series, and the Tir Alainn series is a solidly fun fantasy romp. I'm not going to spend any more time on Ephemera.
Margarida
I have enjoyed all of Bishop's books to date, but i really struggled with this one. This is the third book in the trilogy and was promoted as being from the view point of Lee, but, there were too many characters, too many voices and POV - all too confusing.

This hasn't been an issue for an author such as Bishop, but it made for a very hard confusing read.
Chrissy
Honestly, I can't believe it took me so long to read this. I just kind of missed it in the scheme of things, even though Anne Bishop is my favourite author.

I adore this trilogy (although nowhere near to the extent that i enjoy The Black Jewels Books).

Needless to say, this book didn't quite seem to have the action that 'Sebastian' & 'Belladonna' both had, and yet it fits, as the perfect way to tell Lee's story.

This book is written in the way that only Anne Bishop can deliver. It is descriptiv
Lesli
Probably the best of the three books. It's interesting that the underlying theme of this book was xenophobia rather than gender equality (as in the first two books). I can tell that there was a gap between writing the second and third book. Bishop no longer focuses the story on just one character. This is obvious based on the title and the plethora of characters and settings trying to gain the reader's attention. I have a feeling that whatever series you first read by Bishop will be your favorit ...more
Tina Kayser
OMG SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Anne Bishop! I hope we dont have to wait too long for her next book.
Nicole
I just can't say anything bad about Anne Bishop. I lovelovelove her books and this is no exception.
Doranna Durgin
Loved the whole Tryad concept, above and beyond all the other goodness...
Maria Ines Alvarez
opportunities and choices.

i really hope there will be a 4th book.
Wayland Smith
Ok, I'm usually MUCH better about starting a series from the start, but I needed this one for a reading challenge I'm in. The writing is good, but, if you haven't read the other books, as I haven't, it's rather confusing.

The writer takes many common words and embues them with special meaning in her world, which takes some sorting out. She also has some phrases that get repeated over and over and over.

It's hard to give a good assessment of book three of a series, but the repetitions got kind of o
Shannon Roland
This is the last of the Ephemera trilogy. The first book is Sebastian.

It took me a little while to get into this installment. I think the issue was the time between the last book and this one, taking place a month later. The issue I had was the change in Lee. I won't go into details, because I hate spoilers, but I think if the lapse of time was a few days leading to a month later, and the reader could follow Lee from the time of his sister's return, then I really think I could have re-immersed
Cayleigh
Of the Ephemera series for me this one was the best. The Eater of the World has been contained at a great price by Glorianna Belladonna. Her brother Lee, who is a Bridge (Males who can make and break “bridges” to connect different landscapes together) is having a hard time accepting the price Glorianna paid but when he sees Wizards trying to break into Glorianna’s landscapes he sacrifices himself and ends up in a landscape he has never heard of before. Where they don’t know about Landscapers and ...more
Jen
After Glorianna Belladonna sacrificed herself for the good of Emphemera, she's now become two aspects, Glorianna and Belladonna and Lee is feeling the pain of not being the one to save her. When wizards attempt to kidnap him, Lee cuts himself off from everything he knows, including Glorianna Belladonna and all her landscapes. He ends up a blind, half-mad prisoner in Asylum in the Vision landscape.

It's here in Vision that Lee truly begins to see himself and those around him as they truly are and
Ithlilian
Sep 28, 2012 Ithlilian marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: fantasy
I was so excited when I came across this at the library. I loved the previous two books in the series, and loved the black jewels trilogy, and thought I would like this. The idea behind these novels is interesting, and it is explained well, at least it had been previously. Bridge of Dreams had a bit too much recapping and not enough progression. You could definitely start reading this series beginning with this book, because every single little detail is explained to you again here. That goes fo ...more
Angie
Bridge of Dreams picks up after the events of Belladonna. Lee is trying to deal with the fact that Belladonna has come back but is not the same person she once was. She is now split into her dark and light side (Glorianna and Belladonna). He finds that he resents Michael and doesn't quite resonate with Belladonna anymore. Then he is attacked and forced to flee from her landscapes. He ends up in Vision, a place far from any where he has ever known. He is under the control of the wizards who tortu ...more
Emily Kudeviz
I was disappointed. I am a HUGE Anne Bishop fan, have been since I read her Black Jewels Trilogy years ago, but this book fell flat for me.

In fact, this series in particular started going downhill, with Lee's story being the worst. It was the same set up as Michael's and as Sebastian's stories. Boy and girl meet and there are some obvious differences, some angers that are unwarranted (because the characters are not fully fleshed out).

I think though, the biggest problem with this particular nov
Michelle
More reviewst

Anne Bishop is one of my favorite authors! I love her. I enjoy fantasy generally because of the worlds the fantasy genre can create. You can do things you just can't do when you have to adhere to, say...physics.

Bishop, for me, is one of the best. Yes, Tolkien et al are epic, I don't mean to downplay the the greats, but Bishop creates such unique and inventive worlds. I just look forward to whatever she writes.

This is the third book in the Ephemera series. Ephemera is the name of th
Angelica Swizer
Gretchen
Overall I liked the premise of this book, but it didn't especially live up to expectations. I truly understood the perspective of the central character, Lee, but I didn't think that he was given enough credit by the end of the novel. Obviously the series can be continued, and most likely will be. The other characters, especially the newly introduced ones were a breath of fresh air, especially the Danyal. It was nice to meet someone besides Glorianna Belladonna who speaks to Ephemera. And isn't h ...more
Rusty
I find Anne Bishop's writing so engaging that I didn't want to stop to write an update while I was reading Bridge. Within the first 100 pages I was caught up in the story and the characters. And, if you have read Belladonna you will discover that Bridge of Dreams follows that novel to culminate the trilogy. Lee is the Bridge and brother to Belladonna. He finds himself examining how he feels about his sister's new role as both Glorianna and Belladonna.

As the novel progress, Lee finds himself in
Lindsey
Feb 20, 2013 Lindsey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anne Bishop fans
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 stars. It suffers a bit from not rereading the first two books, although as the story goes, they read more like a duology and its sequel.

Sadly, if the first 50 or so pages had been cut and a few explanatory sequences were done as later flashbacks or conversations, this would have rated 4 stars. I like that this is very much a character book, with little action. For Bishop, it's a light read, with no truly dark themes and only minimal violence.

The focus on Lee and two new characters, Danyal
The Ultimate ABC ...: Bridge of Dreams by Anne Bishop 1 3 Apr 02, 2012 04:44AM
  • A Marca de Kushiel (Kushiel, #2)
  • A Lâmina na Alma (Tigana, #1)
  • A Demanda do Visionário (A Saga do Assassino #5)
  • The Daemon Prism (Collegia Magica, #3)
  • Hearts and Swords: Four Original Stories of Celta
  • Ventos do Norte (Acácia, #1)
  • Shadowborn (Darkborn Trilogy, #3)
  • A Senhora da Magia (As Brumas de Avalon, #1)
  • Flame of Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters, #6)
  • O Festim dos Corvos
  • Cast in Peril (Chronicles of Elantra, #8)
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - part 1 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 1)
  • Royal Airs (Elemental Blessings, #2)
  • Closer to Home (The Herald Spy, #1)
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel,Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestsellers list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar
More about Anne Bishop...
Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1) Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3) Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2) Written in Red (The Others, #1) Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5)