Start by marking “Heart of Fire” as Want to Read:
Heart of Fire

Heart of Fire

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,148 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
A fabulous lost Amazon city once inhabited by women warriors and containing a rare red diamond: it sounded like myth, but archeologist Jillian Sherwood believed it was real, and she was willing to put up with anything to find it -- even Ben Lewis. Ruffian, knock-about, and number one river guide in Brazil, Ben was all man -- over six feet of rock-hard muscles that rippled ...more
Published August 9th 2011 by Pocket Books (first published July 1993)

Dina
Jan 23, 2014 Dina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've yet to write a review, but I found this pic today and couldn't help thinking of this book yummy Ben...

Photobucket

... and this particular scene:

He had stripped down to the skin with an utter lack of modesty that told her he was accustomed to being naked with a woman. Why would any woman in her right mind want him to wear clothes anyway? He was tall and lean and superbly muscled, and his buttocks were so round and taut that her hands instinctively curled into fists in an effort to resist patting them.
Mo
May 14, 2014 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her breasts brushed against the hard wall of his upper abdomen and a hot tingle shot through her nipples. She stopped breathing, because even that small movement was too potent.

First off, I must say that I love Linda Howard. Don’t think I have read any of her books that did not get a 4 or 5 star for me. They might be oldies, but they are goodies.

”This is probably paradise,” she said.

Didi
Linda Howard never disappoints! This was an adventure filled, adrenaline-taught, sexy and sensual book. Ben Lewis was an extremely seductive and intelligent man. I loved how he masqueraded as a no good drunk to hide the sheer cunning and witty personality I grew to love. Seeing a man brought to his knees by a smart and unlikely woman is so gratifying! Jillian Sherwood wasn't Ben's type but he couldn't stop obsessing about her, an obsession that turned to love.
The funny banter and engaging plot
♥Sharon♥
Jul 18, 2016 ♥Sharon♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Linda Howard is such a wonderful author. I absolutely loved this one!!!

OMG Ben is simply delicious and sexy as all hell. And Jillian was his perfect match. Different in every way possible which led a to slow burn that was fucking HOT!

I highly recommend this to EVERYONE!

Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
5 STARS

Jillian Sherwood is passionate and dedicated to her work. She grew up as a curious little girl, fascinated by her famous archaeologist dad’ stories about lost world and civilizations, epic legends of long gone Amazon women warriors… Her dad was himself so taken with those myths, he lost all integrity trying desperately to prove the Historian Community he was right. His obsession cost him any reliability and he left behind the reputation of being a "crackpot".

Jillian, now all grown up, f
Amy (Foxy)
HEART OF FIRE more like HEART ON FIRE

Jillian is an archaeologist who followed in her father’s footsteps. He’s now deceased and his reputation has been tarnished. His former colleagues think of him as a crackpot. They never believed that he found a lost Amazon city. Jillian sets out to prove her dad was right.

Ben is a local Amazon river guide and is hired to take Jillian, her shifty half-brother and his ‘friend’ to this lost city.

Ms. Howard heats this book up with a mixture of a gutsy Jil
Joanita
“You're mine, and you're going to admit it no matter how long I have to keep after you."

I love Linda Howard’s books. Her heroes are always pure alphas, very protective and possessive and the heroines feisty. And this book was no exception.

Jillian Sherwood is determined to prove that her father’s theory about a lost Amazon city that was inhabited by warrior women was true. She’ll even put up with her lazy half-brother who hates her, the financial backer he procured to help them on their exp

Shawna
4 stars – Romantic Suspense

This was a steamy, entertaining adventure romance with a smart, spunky archaeologist heroine and a hot alpha hero who guides her through the wilds of the Amazon in search of a mythical lost city. In the midst of battling bad guys and the perils of the jungle, they find themselves intensely attracted to each other. And when they finally succumb to their volatile desires? YOWZA! There’s a sex scene in the rain that’s so explosive and smokin’ hot that the H/h literally ha
Lisa Kay
The Amazon
[image error][image error]

[image error][image error]

(This is a review of the audiobook.) Often, when I am exposed to a new narrator, I have to get used to their voice*. Such was the case with Tanya Eby Sirois. It is hard to explain...there is a cadence in her reading that makes me very aware she is telling a story. At times I went back to the paperback. Nevertheless, after several chapters, I adapted and eventually enjoyed her narration.

Well, this one still holds up 19 years later! L
jenjn79
May 16, 2010 jenjn79 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: previously read author
I have to admit I was kinda wary of reading this book...not the book specifically, but a Linda Howard book. I've read books of hers that I've loved, but the last one I read (Burn) left a really sour taste in my mouth. And I found myself not quite wanting to read another LH book yet...even though I knew this was an older one of hers and a lot better different than her newer stuff. I made myself read it, though, since it had been in Mt TBR for a couple years. I rather enjoyed the book, though it w ...more
Rashika (is tired)
I have absolutely no idea how to rate this. This was incredibly enjoyable yet at the same time I did NOT like the love interest. Oh he was swoon-worthy and usually I don't have problems with Linda's heroes (even that one time I hated a book by her) but Ben did NOT work for me. He was kind of a douche and even though he redeemed himself in the end his character was so flat that he didn't even come off as 'hot' just annoying. Plus I didn't notice any significant change in him by the end of the nov ...more
Saly
Aug 09, 2011 Saly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Saly by: Dina
The beauty of old LH heroes are that they start of as jerks, with the only thing on their mind being sex and the heroine usually not being their type, but as the book progresses not only do they start noticing the heroine too much besides wanting them in bed, by the end of they don't want to be away from them and Hearts of Fire is no less and is set in the Amazon.

The hero Ben Lewis is an Alabama boy but he's been in Brazil since he was 20, working as a guide. He likes his life, drinking, blowing
Kathleen
4.5 stars for this audio update: Great narration by Tanya Eby Sirois (but she mispronounced the name Joachim, repeatedly). Erotic and suspenseful story (but too much time is spent with Ben thinking about sex). Read this eons ago. It reminds me of Howard's other jungle-love novel, Midnight Rainbow, and other books, listed below.

Loved Ben. The arrogant sob playboy. Earthy, alpha, bold, gritty, and crazy for Jillian. He's passionate, protective, possessive, and determined, but in the end, he gives
Lady Heather
Oct 26, 2012 Lady Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: contemporary romance
Recommended to Lady Heather by: Ren
Just finished it, and what a wonderful, fun story!

The lead male character Ben is such an 'Alpha', and the lead female, Jillian is strong, determined, intelligent, witty, sexy, and no-nonsense.... I ABSOLUTELY loved her!

... and together, their story is amazing!

another great story by Linda Howard :)
Amanda
This is totally the kind of genre that make me start obsessing with romance read in the first place. Great plot, hottie hero, spunky heroin, bad guys, action, adventure, laugh out loud humor...... you name it.

Jillian Sherwood, an archaeologist needs to set off to an expedition to the heart of Amazon to prove the existence of Anzar City in order to revive her late father's reputation and her own. From the excerpt, I thought the expedition was only comprise of Jillian and Ben, the experienced rive
Linda
An Uber-Alpha 'Me-Tarzan-You-Jane Mentality' that is a guilty pleasure. Ssssssss, this love story is on fire. I love the chemistry between these two. It is what it is: just plain old sparking and canoodling.

If you enjoy this type of romance look for Theresa Weir's AMAZON LILY, Glenna McReynold's RIVER OF EDEN or Angela Knight's JANE'S WARLORD. Armchair traveling romance at its best.
Penelope ✘ that awkward girl that doesn't go here ✘
FOUR AND A HALF STARS!

If you have never read a Linda Howard book in your life, then Heart of Fire would be an awesome book to introduce you to her. Being a huge fan of hers, I can't help but be a little biased when it comes to her works, but ultimately, I think this is a sure winner for fans of contemporary romances who adore strong women, sexy and unabashed heroes and a little suspense to keep those pages turning.

Jillian Sherwood is a woman with nothing to lose. All her life, she has had to wor
Karla

5 Fantastic Stars!! This book is everything a romantic suspense should be, and I just loved it.

Ben Lewis is a delicious, cocky, larger than life H that oozes sexuality. Jillian Sherwood is my favorite kind of h, she is intelligent, determined, average in appearance, and when Ben taunts her she goes right back at him. She is a challenge for him, and he has to have her. Jillian just wants him to do his job, but her attraction to him is undeniable. The chemistry between them just sizzles. The book
Holly
This is probably one of my favorite LH books. I absolutely adore Ben and Jillian. Ben is quite possibly my favorite male character ever. He's just so MALE!

Even after after all these years this book really held up well.
Bark's Book Nonsense
When Jillian goes through her deceased father's things she finds information which sends her off on an adventure to find evidence of a secret civilization of Amazon Women (I kid you not). Along for the trip is her rotten, good for nothing step-brother and a shifty drug dealer who is funding the archeological dig. She brings the brother along for some lame reason but you just have to go with it.

She allows the two men to hire the best guide in the area even though she is suppose to be the archeolo
Ren
Jillian Sherwood, berusaha membuktikan teori ayahnya bahwa kaum Amazon yang terdiri atas wanita2 perkasa, memang benar hidup di belantara Amazon, sementara banyak orang yang tidak percaya pada sang ayah, bahkan menjulukinya "Crackpot".

Dengan ditemani sang kakak dan sponsor, mereka (yang sayangnya namanya aku lupa, hohohoho :)) ) menyanggupi untuk menemani Jillian. Walaupun sebenarnya kakak Jillian membenci sang adik, tapi karena tahu ada berlian merah langka, yang terdapat dalam peninggalan Suku
Carrie
3.5* Grade B

Narrated by Tanya Eby Sirois

Originally published in 1993, Heart of Fire shows its age at times in the language Howard uses, especially during the love scenes. But while the word choice may hint at the age, the story itself is exciting and fresh and Tanya Eby Sirois’s excellent narration adds to the timeless feel of the book.

Archaeologist Jillian Sherwood finds her late father’s journal while going through his belongings. The journal contains instructions for finding a lost Amazonian
Alisa
May 27, 2014 Alisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alisa by: Jona
The 2nd Linda Howard book I've read and I just really enjoy her writing! Her writing and story telling skills stands out from every other author in the industry, IMO. It's just really great quality.

The heroine just cracked me up in this story. Loved her and loved the hero as well. Engaging and exciting story!

Thanks to Jona for rec'ing it! :-*
Hbeebti
Jan 08, 2015 Hbeebti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 This was such a good book. LH's descriptions of the Amazon were so vivid in my mind. I loved the imagined sights and sound of their adventure. I just adored Ben I swear all he thought about was getting into Jillian's pants. And I cheered Jillian on for keeping Ben at bay for so long. Although I was surprised that Jillian wasn't pissed about the lie and such. I do understand why she was mad about the intended actions though.
Debbie
Jun 06, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Debbie by: featured author - 02/10
Wanting to reminder herself of the man that was her father, Jillian Sherwood convinced her brother (Rick) to let her finally see some of their fathers notebooks. Being an archeologist, just like dad, Jillian had a special insight in decoding the notes and the maps that she had found. Finding the money and the people to help her to locate the lost Stone City in the middle of the Amazon jungle would eventually show the world that her father was not the crackpot that everyone thought he was. While ...more
MBR
I liked:

1- Ben Lewis. Its tough not to like a man who oozes sexuality from just his mere presence in the story. *fans self*

2- Jillian Sherwood. Linda Howard knows exactly what we want from her characters and she certainly doesn’t disappoint us with Jillian. Independent to a fault, vulnerable and loyal and a stubbornness that makes Ben grit his teeth every now and then, Jillian and her acrid sense of humor certainly makes for an enjoyable heroine.

3- The witty banter between Jillian and Ben. My Go
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
I'm just so confused as to why people like this book. I really am. Maybe I'm missing some necessary gene that, I don't know, gives me bad taste in books?

So, for the storyline...predictable, boring, not good at all. Absolutely nothing, and I do mean nothing, happens until the very end of the book. The whole thing is just the main female character whining while pretending to be so tough and smart and hard-to-get and getting injured and getting massages from the main male character, who is a stere
Awilk -never sleeps-
Linda Howard has written some of my favourite books. A couple of times I haven't really liked her book, but this was not one of those times. Ben Lewis was a wonderfully written alpha male, who I would love to read about for ever.
Jillian was a great heroine. She had brains and courage, something I love to see. Jillian didn't need a man to look after her, but Ben did anyway.
The teasing dialogue between the two of them was funny, and when they finally came together it was smoking hot. Linda Howard
Geri
May 30, 2014 Geri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. Jillian was smart strong and confident. Ben was sexy and just wild. He was the perfect hero.
Jane Stewart
Oh what fun! Exhilarating! Excellent romance novel. Definitely worth reading.

American female archaeologist has a coded map showing the way to an ancient civilization in the Amazon jungle. Her brother arranges for a wealthy drug dealer to fund the expedition. They hire a guide. She and the guide eventually fall in love. The drug dealer brings along a hit man with plans to kill everyone after they obtain the valuable red diamond.

Sexual language: moderate. Number of sex scenes: eight. Setting: curr
  • Amazon Lily
  • River of Eden
  • Into the Fire
  • Breaking Point (I-Team, #5)
  • Hot Night
  • Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2)
  • Slow Heat in Heaven
  • Wild Orchids
  • Present Danger
  • A NASCAR Holiday: Ladies, Start Your Engines...\'Tis the Silly Season\Unbreakable

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance
More about Linda Howard...

“It’s not something I can control, damn it. Every man I know wakes up with a hard-on.”

“Maybe so, but they do not – repeat, do not - rub it on me.”

‘Every man I know’ wasn’t rubbing it on you! It was just me!”

“And it was just your hair that I pulled, wasn’t it?” she asked sweetly.”
13 likes
“You have underwear."
"I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you try it on?"
"Nah. Just rubbed it against my face.”
10 likes