Start by marking “Three Hands for Scorpio” as Want to Read:
Three Hands for Scorpio

Three Hands for Scorpio

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Andre Norton, the celebrated author of Witch World and many other fantasy adventures, offers a new novel unique among her works, set in a realm not dissimilar to northern England in the sixteenth century.

Drucilla, Sabina, and Tamara, identical sisters born to Desmond, Earl of Skorpys, understand the price of being princesses in a realm bordered by fractious neighbors. For
Published January 15th 2007 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Three Hands for Scorpio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Hands for Scorpio

Unwisely
While I know Norton is a SF writer, I am not sure I could name another book. This was another "hey, you're snowed in!" book. Except I ended up hauling it home.

I wasn't really sure if this was supposed to be a young adult novel or not. I'm going with yes, because there was no character development, but I'm honestly not sure. It kind of reminded me of that particular old style SF novel, when they seemed to confuse "describing strange things" with "telling an interesting story".

Because, OMG. Stuff
Sarah (Tail-Kinker)
This story was a bit strange, and written in first person with a sort of old-fashioned tone.

Identical triplet sisters who are born to nobility and have inherited a gift of power are kidnapped and dumped into the Dismals, a land that is unlike anything anyone has ever seen before.

The Dismals are filled with strange creatures--giant spiders, red-furred felines who have rudimentary telepathy, and the remnants of an ancient race.

The sisters Drucilla, Sabina, and Tamara are very close and are neve
Shazza Maddog
Rebecca Harwell
I have to admit that I really didn't like this book.

The idea sounded really cool. I hadn't read any Andre Norton before, but since she's one of the preeminent fantasy writers of all time, I wanted to give her a try. However, it turns out Three Hands for Scorpio was her final book, written when she was well into her nineties. If this novel had been written by a debut writer, there's no way it would have gotten published.

I spent most of this book confused. The story was told in the alternating poi
Dan
Jun 17, 2008 Dan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy, own
Some books awe with their breadth and scope. Others are finely crafted, paying attention to detail and art. This is one of the latter.

The story structure itself is masterful: there are no unnecessary, self-serving, experimental or pompous passages anywhere. Everything has its place and its pace, and it all fits together beautifully. Tension and resolution feel perfectly balanced.

What this book lacks is characters I actually care about. The three main characters do change somewhat during the stor
Emily
Eh. I didn't like this all that much. I found the language very stilted, and even though there were three first-person narrators of the story, I didn't feel like I really knew any of them. The world where the characters lived was pretty interesting - magic was an inborn talent of some people, as well as a natural force. There was a land called the Dismals where giant insects terrorized the people, and a graveyard filled with spirits in clay jars.

The three hands of the title are the teenage siste
Ryan Mishap
Crikey, she's got a lot of books. Anyhow, this was one of those impulsive grocery store buys where I just had to have a fantasy novel to read because all the books at home were too serious. Should've saved my money, i guess.
Anyway, triplet young princesses of a lesser ruler have some magic, but it doesn't keep them from being kidnapped. Then they are dumped into an, I think, underground no-man's-land where strange beasties dwell--and possibly the lost heir to the empire, but he's kind of not s
Nona Mae King
This was the last fantasy novel written by my favorite author of all time: Andre Norton. Called the Grand Dame of Fantasy, she has always amazed me at her ability to draw you in to the character's world. It is no surprise, then, that even at the age of 93 she was able to pen this fantastic adventure. It kept my interest, and I was hard-pressed to find time to do other things! I had to keep reading!

I hope that one day I write a story as well as she did.
Doris
This book had a marvelous storyline about triplet princesses with magical talents.It had a great premise - kidnap, burgeoning Talent, a lost prince/kingling, and an unexplored world.

The only thing it didn't have was that magical touch that Andre Norton brought to her work. This book was completed by the estate of Andre Norton, and it shows. This ghost writer needs to rest in his/her grave and leave the works of the Master alone!
Sj
Nov 23, 2007 Sj rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one. ever.
this book was so terrible. i almost made it to chapter seven, so i kind of wonder what happened to the triplets in the Dismals, but not enough to read anymore. such a stupid book! andre norton is awesome, but erratic. she's so prolific the books can't be good all the time.
Craig
Sep 16, 2011 Craig added it
This is a rarity for me. I didn't finish this one. 115 pages in and just could not get into it. I almost never abandon a book once I start it. And Andre Norton is an all time favorite. This book though, I simply found boring.
Heather
I kept hoping that some type of interesting romantic relationship would happen with at least one of the characters but I got to the end and nothing plus a pretty slow read
Michelle
I got bored and didn't finish it.
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Meagan
Meagan added it
Dec 08, 2014
Angelof
Angelof marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Aja
Aja marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Gabbie
Gabbie marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Desmond
Desmond marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Adventures of King Midas
  • If Wishes Were Horses
  • Impossible Places
  • Jerlayne
  • Heroes Return (Hero, #5)
  • A Wizard in Peace (Rogue Wizard, #5)
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • All Spell Breaks Loose (Raine Benares, #6)
  • Castle of Deception (Bard's Tale, #1)
  • The Wood Nymph and the Cranky Saint (Daimbert, #2)
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
  • Magicians of Quality (Cecelia & Kate, #1-2)
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • Mystic Empire (The Bronze Canticles, #3)
  • The Descent of Anansi
  • Magic Elizabeth
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)