Ballet for Drina (Drina, #1)

Ballet for Drina (Drina #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  382 ratings  ·  19 reviews
10-year-old Drina becomes obsessed with ballet and wonders why her grandmother is so disapproving.
Published November 15th 1988 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1957)

Colette
I received this book from my cousin when I was quite young, perhaps about 8 or 9. I'm not sure how many times I read it as a child, but it was a favorite. I loved the illustration on the cover- the edition I had as a child was the Scholastic edition with the pink cover.

A few years ago, I was poking around online and found out that there were five books in this series. I tracked down #2 and #5, though I was unable to find the others.

Then, on Goodreads, I saw someone's review that mentioned that...more
Anica
I can't describe how much I adored this series as a child. Or how often I already read it.

I am so not a dancer but those books are just so well written, it just pulls you into the whole story. And you can't stop until you've finished. Wonderful.
I really miss those days when I was a child, reading those books.

Seriously, it is sad that nobody today reads books like these. OK, now I feel old, but whatever... ;)
Sally
Not the best of the lot, but a decent introduction to the series. As with many heroines in ballet stories, Drina wants to dance but can't - her grandparents forbid it. As there are ten more books in the series, you can guess that she does eventually get her way. ;)
Melissa Posten
Not as good as the Shoes books, but still really satisfying for my inner ten year old balletomane.
Lauren
The whole Drina series is amazing. My mom read all of them to me when I was little, and I still read them to this day. Be forewarned though, they are all out of print, so they will be quite expensive to find, more than likely. The Drina series is the story of a young girl wanting nothing more than to be a ballerina, and how she goes about getting there. It keeps your interest and appeals to many boys as much as girls. I will definitely be reading these books to my children.
Kristen
This series was my absolute favorite when I was growing up (and truthfully, still is). I re-read it every few years and enjoy it each time. It's like a cozy sweater... comforting, reliable, enjoyable. These books are what sparked my interest in travel (ok, European travel), and I fully plan on naming my daughter (if I ever have one) either Andrina, Audrina or anything with the nickname "Drina" and hope she will be a ballerina, who is as kind aND intelligent as the heroine of these books. I even...more
Katie
In the first installment in the series, Ballet for Drina, the reader is introduced to Drina, a little girl who lives with her grandparents, Mr and Mrs Chester, following the death of her mother and father when she was very young. She loves to dance but has never been allowed to take lessons and her grandmother refuses to discuss why. When Drina changes schools she makes friends with Jenny Pilgrim, who hates dancing and wants to work on a farm but whose mother insists she take ballet classes. Eve...more
Tiffany
Good book for young readers who enjoy reading about dance and ballerinas.

Drina is cute, and she wants very much to be a ballerina, no matter what it takes. She works hard, even when her grandparents forbid her from dancing.

In the book, Drina and her best friend, Jenny, discuss the fact that most books about ballerinas make it seem like ballet talent comes easy, but that that's a wrong portrayal. I think this book tries to get at the other side, showing Drina working hard in her classes, sufferin...more
Tanya Lily
This is teenage to young adult fiction as it is most heartwarming. For all aspiring ballerina's as well as those who are not. This story follows the life of Drina as she finds ballet after her parents die in an accident. It is a beautiful story and relays the insecurities of adolescence as well as the beauty and freedom. It really is a treasure and a shame that it is not reissued to the pleasure of future generations. If you manage to get a copy of the series then it is a worth while and timeles...more
Sanalith
I've decided 2013 is going to be a heavy re-reading year, and I'm starting with this amazing series. It was one of my favorites growing up, and I have to say the writing actually does stand the test of time. This is even more impressive than normal, considered it was written in the 1950s! Drina reminds me so much of myself - very passionate, intensely focused to the point of obsessiveness, and prone to anxiety before important activities - and these traits allowed me to bond with her intensely a...more
Carolynne
Kate
I wasn't a dancer when I was younger (much too uncoordinated for ballet lessons), but I loved the covers of these books and bought them all to read. I recall having a somewhat difficult time reading them (written in British English, so weird spelling, punctuation, and phrasing) but overall a good kids story.

Some of the alternate titles I found while looking this book up were interesting, especially the one where Drina's name had been changed to Cindy.
Sharjae Witehira-shortland
Joanna
Jun 12, 2007 Joanna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: little girls
I loved Drina's world as a little girl. She showed me around London before I had ever been there for myself! Definitely one to give to the nieces, should they decide to become ballerinas. The entire series is worth paying a visit.
Chelle
I loved this series as a child and remember being so excited whenever I found another Drina book on our mobile library, until I got my own set. Re-reading the first in the series was a treat.
CLM
Drina does not have as much personality as most of MAE's characters but this series is a must for fans of ballet books.
Lisa
Read this series in JR High and simply LOVED them! I need to track these down.....
Runningrabbit
Absolutely loved this series when I was a youngster...
Julie Johnstone
Fave children's chapter book series
Paulina
Paulina marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • A Dream of Sadler's Wells (Sadler's Wells, #1)
  • Ballet Shoes for Anna
  • Rivals of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #5)
  • A Very Young Dancer
  • Thursday's Children
  • Dancing on the Inside
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • Желтый туман (Волшебник Изумрудного города, #5)
  • My Mama Had A Dancing Heart
  • Holding On to the Air: An Autobiography
  • The Ballet Companion: A Dancer's Guide to the Technique, Traditions, and Joys of Ballet
Drina's Dancing Year (Drina, #2) Drina Dances in Exile (Drina, #3) Drina Dances Again (Drina, #5) Drina Dances in Italy (Drina, #4) Drina Dances In New York (Drina, #6)