Start by marking “Creepshow” as Want to Read:

Creepshow

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  23,992 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Der Comic zum Film
Paperback
Published (first published July 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Creepshow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creepshow

Mario
Jun 13, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Well that was disturbing.

This graphic novel is a collection of 5 short stories, and I really enjoyed them all. I think first story (Father's Day) was my favorite, but last one (They’re Creeping Up On You) was one of the most disturbing stories I've ever read. No wonder I hate bugs. Nasty little suckers.
Dan
Jan 13, 2009 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should own this. For some reason this comic freaked me out more than the movie (except for the roach part which is just DISGUSTING). A hoot. I don't even know if this is still in print.
Lonesome Death of Jordy Verril is life-changing....
sj
Jun 18, 2013 sj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: completists
A perfectly serviceable movie-to-comic adaptation that wasn't terrible, but not great, either.

The movie is kind of amazingly terrigreat in an I-like-to-get-tipsy-and-watch-this kind of way, and the comic is pretty much the same.

Except I wasn't drunk while I read this, so it probably lost some of its charm.

Also, I'm sad it wasn't METEOR SHIT! in the comic, which is my FAVOURITE LINE IN THE WHOLE MOVIE and something my husband and I say to each other all the time for no reason at all.

There are few
D.M.
Feb 18, 2012 D.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a horror geek, and have been for decades now. When Creepshow came out, it was at just the right time to push alot of my darkest buttons. This adaptation being illustrated by Bernie Wrightson was an absolute master stroke, since there are few current artists who do ghosties and ghoulies as much credit as he does. The Jack Kamen cover was a nice touch, too. (Neither artist worked on the comic shown in the movie, if memory serves.)
Sadly, a good deal of the art herein looks a bit rushed. Wrights
Stefan Yates
If you've seen the kinda cheesy, kinda not-so-good movie that this comic was generated from, then you'll already know all of the stories. (I'm not totally panning the film however, I do after all own it and Creepshow 2!) Even though the stories were old hat though, I still had a good time reading the comic version. Do not dive into this book thinking that it is a graphic novel. Nothing could be further from the truth. Creepshow is done entirely in the tongue-in-cheek style of the old horror comi ...more
Aliaa
Apr 23, 2016 Aliaa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I was gonna rate it five or four as I love Stephen King and everything he writes but then I read the last story!!!
THE LAST STORY!!!
COCKROACHES!!!!
no.. Just.. No.
Who writes a story about cockroaches! And why didn't they place a warning like some books do about awful things?
Now I'm creeped out and will probably scream every time I think something is moving in the peripheral of my vision.
Sumit Singla
Picked up this movie-to-comic version and thought it was reasonably lame.

I guess the Stephen King name wasn't enough to salvage this one. The narration is funny, somewhat like the comics of the 1960s/1970s and the narrator is an undead Stan Lee.

None of the stories have an impact, but well, neither did the movie.

I suggest saving your time and money, and avoiding this one. (Of course, a 'thank you' note to me will also be much appreciated.) :D
Trista DiGiuseppi
This is a goofy comic with lots of horror elements to it. I recommend it for any comic book/horror-loving geek. And since I happen to be one of those, I gave it three stars. Also the cover of this used to scare me as a little girl when I walked through the Stephen King section of the library. Now it's just amusing, but nostalgic nonetheless.
Dolly
Sep 18, 2008 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans
Shelves: 2001, short-stories
I really enjoyed this book - rather like a pulp comic book. Fun, scary read! I love Stephen King's stories, pretty much in any format.
Angelica
Jan 27, 2011 Angelica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good old creepy stories that go so well in the dark before you go to sleep!
Craig
Apr 03, 2015 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The film Creepshow is one of those cult-classic genre films that one either "gets" or not; a few love it and a few hate it and most are indifferently bemused. I think it's amusing that it was intended as an homage to the old classic EC comics, but has now become an icon in its own right. The five short stories that make up the film (and this book, of course) are all good and fun and true to the spirit of the old EC line. (For at least twenty years I spent one afternoon in mid-June every summer b ...more
Gary Butler
Jul 08, 2013 Gary Butler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book is less than 80 pages which is the cut off line for a book to be entered onto my all time book list. I do not really consider this to be a book at all. This is a mere 66 pages, which gets it a written review instead of a video review. This is graphic novel based on Stephen King’s screenplay for the movie Creepshow. The movie is much better than this book (if you could call it that). The five stories are much shorter with less detail and some changes have been made from the film; most n ...more
Bobby Bermea
King knows what was great about the EC comics but he doesn't...quite...get...there. There's some charm or innocence or something lacking from his stories and his characterizations. It's hard to go back. After all, we live in a post-EC world. What was shocking and different in the Fifties didn't have the same kick in the Eighties. King seems to dumb down his usually effortless storytelling for the format. I would argue that that wasn't necessary. This collection and the movie would have been more ...more
Abril
Jan 29, 2015 Abril rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: king, mangas-comics
En este cómic, Creepy nos cuenta cinco historias un tanto perturbadoras. Todas me parecieron buenas excepto por "Bullen por todas partes" que me pareció totalmente asquerosa, no me gustó para nada; y me dejó con una sensación horrible después de leerlo porque no creo que exista otro insecto que me repugne más que las cucarachas
De todas formas me gustó y me encantó el personaje de Creepy por su sarcasmo a la hora de hacer acotaciones en medio de los relatos
Melissa
There are five stories here, which for the most part are too insubstantial to be genuinely scary. The artwork isn't amazing, but did successfully make my skin crawl in the final outing, where an apartment is overrun with cockroaches. I believe two of the tales originated as short stories by King, which I'd like to read - I strongly suspect they fare better with additional depth - and I'll probably catch the film, too. Not one I'd really recommend, but it was an alright way to fill an hour.
Fizzgig76
Four tales of terror which are hosted by the Creep. This is an adaptation, about a movie adapting a comic book, which is paying homage to a '50's comic. That being said it would have been more interesting if the artist had done it in '50s style art. The movie already exists, so trying to illustrate the movie doesn't seem necessary or as interesting as trying to make it an old style comic.
Dominick
Given the talents involved, rather a misfire. King's take on EC-style stories never really gels--they're OK, but not anywhere near his best work--and Wrisgtson's art is, well, it's fine, I guess, but it doesn't look like he really knocked himself out on this project. For King and/or Wrightson completists only, I'd say.
Mike Raymond
May 28, 2014 Mike Raymond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepshow is pretty much a bunch of classic horror stories combined into one book. It's really a good book because it has a lot of classic stories in it and they have a little twist of humor in them, if you like horror than I would suggest you read this book
Ian Cole
Jan 11, 2014 Ian Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
Creepshow has always been one of my favorite movies. It is not an award-winning type of movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it is certainly one of the most fun movies I have ever had the pleasure of watching. Luckily, I was introduced to this film at a young age - an age at which most parents seem to shelter their children from the more "adult-themed" movies, but at which my mom was letting me watch just about anything because she knew that I was mature enough and would not be emotional ...more
C
I got what I deserved when I snuck into the adult section of the library as a kid and found this one. The image of the a furry meteor and the person with the head twisted off & served on a silver platter will be with me forever.
Gary
Apr 13, 2009 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Classic King work here in these short stories. While the illustrations paint one picture of the story, his words paint another, and even still the movie paints yet a third. All the elements combined make Creep Show one of my favorites.
Sean
Jul 31, 2008 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it loved it loved it! I saw the film first, "I want my cake...... give me my cake!!!!" Will always be one of my favourite things to say even if no one else understands what it has reference to!
Reed
Dec 24, 2007 Reed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun if you happen to come across it, but pointless if you've seen the film because it is virtually panel-for-panel identical. Rent the movie next Halloween instead.
Bill Gauthier
Aug 05, 2007 Bill Gauthier rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore King fans/Comic book fans
A nice nod to the EC horror comics that obviously influenced King (and Romero, for the film). Bernie Wrightson's art is fun and gooey, just as it should be.
jacky
I read this after seeing the movie. The plant one with Stephen King himself in it is the scariest to me for some reason.
Natasha Stephens
I read this when I was a little kid like 9 it was awesome! I loved it then & still do, gives me chills to read it.
Danny
Apr 29, 2009 Danny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Horror Comedies ever was made out of this. Need to get my filthy hands on it.
Dan
May 26, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievably, I still have this copy. A horror comic that is much better than the film.
Samaira
Jan 27, 2013 Samaira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not your typical comic. A short graphic novel the all of Stephen King's usual flair.
Anthony Ventrello
Jan 13, 2011 Anthony Ventrello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my early reads. A classic for all ages and for all King fans.
Best Horror Decades 1 5 Jun 15, 2014 10:34PM
  • Blood and Smoke
  • Night Visions 5
  • Bare Bones: Conversations on Terror with Stephen King
  • The Lost Work Of Stephen King: A Guide to Unpublished Manuscripts, Story Fragments, Alternative Versions and Oddities
Artist known for his horror illustrations and comic books.
More about Bernie Wrightson...