Creepshow

Creepshow

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  16,918 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Der Comic zum Film
Paperback
Published (first published July 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Creepshow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creepshow

Dan
Everyone should own this. For some reason this comic freaked me out more than the movie (except for the roach part which is just DISGUSTING). A hoot. I don't even know if this is still in print.
Lonesome Death of Jordy Verril is life-changing....
sj
Jun 18, 2013 sj rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: completists
A perfectly serviceable movie-to-comic adaptation that wasn't terrible, but not great, either.

The movie is kind of amazingly terrigreat in an I-like-to-get-tipsy-and-watch-this kind of way, and the comic is pretty much the same.

Except I wasn't drunk while I read this, so it probably lost some of its charm.

Also, I'm sad it wasn't METEOR SHIT! in the comic, which is my FAVOURITE LINE IN THE WHOLE MOVIE and something my husband and I say to each other all the time for no reason at all.

There are few...more
D.M.
I'm a horror geek, and have been for decades now. When Creepshow came out, it was at just the right time to push alot of my darkest buttons. This adaptation being illustrated by Bernie Wrightson was an absolute master stroke, since there are few current artists who do ghosties and ghoulies as much credit as he does. The Jack Kamen cover was a nice touch, too. (Neither artist worked on the comic shown in the movie, if memory serves.)
Sadly, a good deal of the art herein looks a bit rushed. Wrights...more
Stefan Yates
If you've seen the kinda cheesy, kinda not-so-good movie that this comic was generated from, then you'll already know all of the stories. (I'm not totally panning the film however, I do after all own it and Creepshow 2!) Even though the stories were old hat though, I still had a good time reading the comic version. Do not dive into this book thinking that it is a graphic novel. Nothing could be further from the truth. Creepshow is done entirely in the tongue-in-cheek style of the old horror comi...more
Sumit Singla
Picked up this movie-to-comic version and thought it was reasonably lame.

I guess the Stephen King name wasn't enough to salvage this one. The narration is funny, somewhat like the comics of the 1960s/1970s and the narrator is an undead Stan Lee.

None of the stories have an impact, but well, neither did the movie.

I suggest saving your time and money, and avoiding this one. (Of course, a 'thank you' note to me will also be much appreciated.) :D
Trista DiGiuseppi
This is a goofy comic with lots of horror elements to it. I recommend it for any comic book/horror-loving geek. And since I happen to be one of those, I gave it three stars. Also the cover of this used to scare me as a little girl when I walked through the Stephen King section of the library. Now it's just amusing, but nostalgic nonetheless.
Dolly
Sep 18, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans
Shelves: 2001, short-stories
I really enjoyed this book - rather like a pulp comic book. Fun, scary read! I love Stephen King's stories, pretty much in any format.
Angelica
Good old creepy stories that go so well in the dark before you go to sleep!
Bobby Bermea
King knows what was great about the EC comics but he doesn't...quite...get...there. There's some charm or innocence or something lacking from his stories and his characterizations. It's hard to go back. After all, we live in a post-EC world. What was shocking and different in the Fifties didn't have the same kick in the Eighties. King seems to dumb down his usually effortless storytelling for the format. I would argue that that wasn't necessary. This collection and the movie would have been more...more
Melissa
There are five stories here, which for the most part are too insubstantial to be genuinely scary. The artwork isn't amazing, but did successfully make my skin crawl in the final outing, where an apartment is overrun with cockroaches. I believe two of the tales originated as short stories by King, which I'd like to read - I strongly suspect they fare better with additional depth - and I'll probably catch the film, too. Not one I'd really recommend, but it was an alright way to fill an hour.
Fizzgig76
Four tales of terror which are hosted by the Creep. This is an adaptation, about a movie adapting a comic book, which is paying homage to a '50's comic. That being said it would have been more interesting if the artist had done it in '50s style art. The movie already exists, so trying to illustrate the movie doesn't seem necessary or as interesting as trying to make it an old style comic.
Dominick
Given the talents involved, rather a misfire. King's take on EC-style stories never really gels--they're OK, but not anywhere near his best work--and Wrisgtson's art is, well, it's fine, I guess, but it doesn't look like he really knocked himself out on this project. For King and/or Wrightson completists only, I'd say.
Ian Cole
Creepshow has always been one of my favorite movies. It is not an award-winning type of movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it is certainly one of the most fun movies I have ever had the pleasure of watching. Luckily, I was introduced to this film at a young age - an age at which most parents seem to shelter their children from the more "adult-themed" movies, but at which my mom was letting me watch just about anything because she knew that I was mature enough and would not be emotional...more
C
I got what I deserved when I snuck into the adult section of the library as a kid and found this one. The image of the a furry meteor and the person with the head twisted off & served on a silver platter will be with me forever.
Gary
Classic King work here in these short stories. While the illustrations paint one picture of the story, his words paint another, and even still the movie paints yet a third. All the elements combined make Creep Show one of my favorites.
Sean
Loved it loved it loved it! I saw the film first, "I want my cake...... give me my cake!!!!" Will always be one of my favourite things to say even if no one else understands what it has reference to!
Reed
Fun if you happen to come across it, but pointless if you've seen the film because it is virtually panel-for-panel identical. Rent the movie next Halloween instead.
Bill Gauthier
Aug 05, 2007 Bill Gauthier rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore King fans/Comic book fans
A nice nod to the EC horror comics that obviously influenced King (and Romero, for the film). Bernie Wrightson's art is fun and gooey, just as it should be.
jacky
I read this after seeing the movie. The plant one with Stephen King himself in it is the scariest to me for some reason.
Natasha Stephens
I read this when I was a little kid like 9 it was awesome! I loved it then & still do, gives me chills to read it.
Danny
Apr 29, 2009 Danny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Horror Comedies ever was made out of this. Need to get my filthy hands on it.
Dan
Unbelievably, I still have this copy. A horror comic that is much better than the film.
Samaira
Not your typical comic. A short graphic novel the all of Stephen King's usual flair.
Anthony Ventrello
One of my early reads. A classic for all ages and for all King fans.
Michael
Again a fun read by King pushed over the top by Bernie Wrightson's art.
Reminiscent of the old EC comics of the 1950's. Very cool!
Katie
Spent an afternoon reading this like a trillion years ago.
Alycia
This used to literally scare the hell out of me as a kid!
Migdalia
Dec 08, 2008 Migdalia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans
Read this a long time ago. A classic.
Matt 2D
Dec 17, 2010 Matt 2D marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
WANT THIS BOOK SOOOOOO BAD!!!
Best Horror Decades 1 3 Jun 15, 2014 10:34PM
  • Bare Bones: Conversations on Terror with Stephen King
  • Halloween
  • Road Rage: Two Novellas
  • Stephen King's N.
Artist known for his horror illustrations and comic books.
More about Bernie Wrightson...
Creepy Presents: Bernie Wrightson A Look Back Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley's Frankenstein (A Marvel Illustrated Novel) The Chronicles of Kull, Vol. 1: A King Comes Riding and Other Stories Frankenstein