Start by marking “Right of the Dial: The Rise of Clear Channel and the Fall of Commercial Radio” as Want to Read:
Right of the Dial: The Rise of Clear Channel and the Fall of Commercial Radio

Right of the Dial: The Rise of Clear Channel and the Fall of Commercial Radio

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In Right of the Dial, Alec Foege explores how the mammoth media conglomerate evolved from a local radio broadcasting operation, founded in 1972, into one of the biggest, most profitable, and most polarizing corporations in the country. During its heyday, critics accused Clear Channel, the fourth-largest media company in the United States and the nation's largest owner of r ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Faber & Faber (first published April 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Right of the Dial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Right of the Dial

John B
Poorly written, barely any editing, so the author goes round in circles and off down cul-de-sacs, and you just get dizzy trying to remember where you are. If an editor had had the chance to polish this dirge up somewhat, I think it would have been an interesting read. As it is, this is a dog's breakfast of a book - a shame, as the author clearly has done a considerable amount of research and has plenty to tell us.
Robert Eustace
It was a very interesting story to the rise and sort of fall of the largest radio owner.
Ever wonder why modern radio, in short, sucks? Foege puts much of the blame for the sea change in broadcasting on the huge conglomerate Clear Channel--and makes quite a convincing case. Don't expect a thrill-a-minute read, but this is essential reading for anyone interested in modern media or unchecked corporate growth.
Never could get all the way through this. I would have expected to find this more interesting; I was aware of what was happening with Clear Channel at the time that they were buying up so many stations, and I'm generally interested in and saddened by the homogenization of commercial radio, but this was dull as dirt.
Too much of a morality play. I also think he skipped over the most interesting concepts a lot. But it has its moments for those interested in history of radio
May 11, 2008 Myke rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: radio listeners
I went into this book more for information than in expectation of spectacular prose. I was not disappointed.

Going in, I really had no idea as to Clear Channel's roots or really anything beyond their status as a corporate giant that turned radio into a carnival of bland crap. But now I know that the company started in Texas and pioneered the Advertisers Not Audience business model which is largely to blame for their output.

There are some nice passages outlining the history of radio and some of th
Sean Gallagher
Sean Gallagher marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Larry Deaton
Larry Deaton marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Scott Seseske
Scott Seseske marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Bill marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Dsw marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Clara marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
David marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Saba added it
Nov 22, 2013
Craig Pittman
Craig Pittman marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013