Start by marking “Right of the Dial: The Rise of Clear Channel and the Fall of Commercial Radio” as Want to Read:
Right of the Dial: The Rise of Clear Channel and the Fall of Commercial Radio

Right of the Dial: The Rise of Clear Channel and the Fall of Commercial Radio

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
In Right of the Dial, Alec Foege explores how the mammoth media conglomerate evolved from a local radio broadcasting operation, founded in 1972, into one of the biggest, most profitable, and most polarizing corporations in the country. During its heyday, critics accused Clear Channel, the fourth-largest media company in the United States and the nation's largest owner of r ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Faber & Faber (first published April 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Right of the Dial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Right of the Dial

John B
Jul 13, 2014 John B rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written, barely any editing, so the author goes round in circles and off down cul-de-sacs, and you just get dizzy trying to remember where you are. If an editor had had the chance to polish this dirge up somewhat, I think it would have been an interesting read. As it is, this is a dog's breakfast of a book - a shame, as the author clearly has done a considerable amount of research and has plenty to tell us.
Robert Eustace
Sep 10, 2015 Robert Eustace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very interesting story to the rise and sort of fall of the largest radio owner.
Peacegal
Ever wonder why modern radio, in short, sucks? Foege puts much of the blame for the sea change in broadcasting on the huge conglomerate Clear Channel--and makes quite a convincing case. Don't expect a thrill-a-minute read, but this is essential reading for anyone interested in modern media or unchecked corporate growth.
Maya
Jul 15, 2008 Maya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Never could get all the way through this. I would have expected to find this more interesting; I was aware of what was happening with Clear Channel at the time that they were buying up so many stations, and I'm generally interested in and saddened by the homogenization of commercial radio, but this was dull as dirt.
John
Nov 10, 2008 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too much of a morality play. I also think he skipped over the most interesting concepts a lot. But it has its moments for those interested in history of radio
Myke
May 11, 2008 Myke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: radio listeners
I went into this book more for information than in expectation of spectacular prose. I was not disappointed.

Going in, I really had no idea as to Clear Channel's roots or really anything beyond their status as a corporate giant that turned radio into a carnival of bland crap. But now I know that the company started in Texas and pioneered the Advertisers Not Audience business model which is largely to blame for their output.

There are some nice passages outlining the history of radio and some of th
Danieleustace
Danieleustace marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Sean Gallagher
Sean Gallagher marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
William K
William K rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Larry Deaton
Larry Deaton marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2015
Don McNay
Don McNay rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Scott Seseske
Scott Seseske marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Dave Kramer
Dave Kramer rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Dsw
Dsw marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Shane
Shane rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Chris Gay
Chris Gay rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Clara
Clara marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Saba
Saba added it
Nov 22, 2013
Mike Jordan
Mike Jordan rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2013
Frank
Frank rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2013
Marcus Brown
Marcus Brown rated it really liked it
May 03, 2013
Craig Pittman
Craig Pittman marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Ian Hardouin
Ian Hardouin rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012