Start by marking “Mountain Mysteries: Investigating the Mystic Traditions of Appalachia” as Want to Read:
Mountain Mysteries: Investigating the Mystic Traditions of Appalachia

Mountain Mysteries: Investigating the Mystic Traditions of Appalachia

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A near-obsessive pursuit of ghost stories and odd superstitions cranks up this serious study of Appalachian tales of the supernatural and their origin in both old-world customs and real historical events. An effort to preserve and record one aspect of a dying way of life, the book relies on interviews and historic documents to search for the facts behind local lore of murd ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Overmountain Press

To ask other readers questions about Mountain Mysteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountain Mysteries

Meshell
My love for Appalachia grew as I read this book. I was fascinated by all the folklore and mysteries and traditions contained inside the book. Larry Thacker knows how to draw you in and keep you there. Great resource book for people interested in knowing more about Appalachia or just people interested in some really cool ghost stories.
Cormac Mccarthy
This book is an Appalachian X-Files. The author relates his encounters with every day people who have witnessed paranormal activity of many different kinds and gives them the opportunity to tell their stories. The author is not a debunker. Much like Fox Mulder he is searching for the truth and follows the stories wherever they lead him.
David Ward
Mountain Mysteries: The Mystic Traditions of Appalachia by Larry Thacker (THe Overmountain Press 2007)(398.209): bigfoot, ghost stories, dowsing, mountain lights, and UFO's. This is a collection of the silliest kind of hokum and uninformed beliefs presented as scientific possibilities. The author should be ashamed of himself for giving the slightest bit of credence to these folktales. My rating: 4/10, finished 9/17/13.
Tamara Gantt
I am actually reading from this now, so I may have given my review a little too early. So far, I've just read about the "mysterious angel in the backseat" story, one of the legends that is popular in Appalachia, apparently, although I've heard this from other people in other regions as well. Sometimes it takes a dark turn (the serial killer in the back seat). LOL.
Crickett
Great book. Lost of great stories and information about the great Appalachian mountains. loved it.
Angie
Angie added it
Jan 18, 2015
Kristen Suagee-beauduy
Kristen Suagee-beauduy marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Emily Mirya
Emily Mirya is currently reading it
Dec 02, 2014
Reney
Reney is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
ara133photography
ara133photography marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Hawthorn M
Hawthorn M marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2012
Price
Price marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2012
Nelia
Nelia marked it as to-read
May 20, 2012
Stephanie Miceli
Stephanie Miceli marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2011
Nikaya
Nikaya marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2011
Charles White
Charles White marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2011
Angie Lisle
Angie Lisle marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2011
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2011