Start by marking “Shattered” as Want to Read:

Shattered

Fifteen-year-old Ian must complete community volunteer service to pass social studies. Choosing to work at “The Club” sounds like fun, until he arrives at what turns out to be a soup kitchen for the homeless. It is here that he meets Sarge, the pipe-wielding homeless man who saved Ian from a near-mugging. His real name is Jacques, and he was a soldier in the Canadian Armed ...more
Published January 2nd 2007 by Puffin (first published December 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Shattered, please sign up.

Bookwizard9 Well, in style I would suggest something else by Eric Walters, simply because he is the best possible person to copy himself (duh!) but if you are…moreWell, in style I would suggest something else by Eric Walters, simply because he is the best possible person to copy himself (duh!) but if you are looking for stuff about war or global issues, I would suggest The Boy In The Striped Pajamas by John Boyne, or I Am Malala. (less)

Emma
Oct 05, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-school
pretty good, glad my teacher picked it, had a lot of things that people should be aware about + understanding of prejudice.
Aalia Rehman
Feb 17, 2015 Aalia Rehman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To start, social justice books are my favourite. This book is a great book. I'd definitely rate it a 5/5 because it brought out a very powerful message. This book is such an amazing book, it changed how I saw and thought of things involving homeless people. It really touched my heart and made me feel better about myself and for the things that I have and want to do to help out the less fortunate. It made me see how much I really don't know about the world and what goes on in the world. I would d ...more
Michelle Arrow
This review can also be found on A Thousand Lives Lived, check it out for more reviews!

My English teacher seriously rocks. Without her, this novel would've never in a million years hit my heart. Eric Walters is a Canadian author whose books I've actually heard of quite frequently where I actually gave them a chance. Genocide was the only word slash subject that described this novel what I prejudged and had heard of before, and I'm honestly so surprised with the outcome.

This isn't a middle grade
Milaine
Feb 26, 2014 Milaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 14+
Recommended to Milaine by: I found the book
J.H. Moncrieff
Sep 18, 2015 J.H. Moncrieff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize before I began reading that this was a YA novel. Its tone was fairly young, so I'd suggest it for pre-teens. I suspect teenagers would roll their eyes at it a bit.

That said, I think this is a brilliant novel for young people, and I think all youth could benefit from reading it, especially young people who've grown up in privileged Western society.

The protagonist is a 15-year-old wealthy teenager who is disgusted with his parents and their lack of interest in his life. As the nov
Berni
May 04, 2010 Berni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in one afternoon because my daughter was studying it in Grade 5 along with her class, but she was having a hard time understanding Rwanda's tragedy along with the plot of this book. I cried when I read it because of the author's description of a little boy who witnessed his entire family die during a brutal machete attack. I encouraged my daughter to read that part as her excerpt to hook the kids in class to read it too; she reported after her presentation that her teacher cried when ...more
Julia
Jul 21, 2009 Julia rated it really liked it
Walters has used this formula before - take a troubled teen and put him in the path of someone extraordinary. An angry teen has to get his community hours in for civics class, and ends up volunteering in a soup kitchen by mistake. The people he meets forces him to look outside himself and the world he lives in.

A well-told story and a little history lesson is included on peace-keeping, Rwanda, and Guatemala.

And I'm always pleased by a book that doesn't make teachers look like idiots!
Ashley
DAWWWEE, this is a sad, touching, and cute (the homeless guy).

I LOVE THIS BOOK. It's sooo sad though. well i find it is.
I actully dont remember this book that much, it was a long time ago i read it.

BUT i know it was a good book, haha.
Amy Balwin
Sep 26, 2009 Amy Balwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. I recomend it to anyone.
SunshineGirl
Jan 25, 2017 SunshineGirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shattered by Eric Walters is such a good book. It's an eye opener that will make you think about the world around you and how you affect it. It deals with issues of genocide survivors, PTSD, alcoholism, and depression but leaves you with the warm feeling that life is not always good but it can get better.

I'd recommend to late teens or older.
Alexander Hobbs
Feb 27, 2017 Alexander Hobbs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great angle of the world of the broken and lonely.
Shanioya
It honestly one of the best books I've ever read and would strongly recommend
Daniel
Oct 19, 2013 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
By: Eric Walters

I read this book with my class in school for a novel study, and I thought that it was a pretty decent book. The plot is very clear, describing what happens when, and that that triggers this. Ian, the protagonist, is a rich and ignorant kid who knows very little about the life on the streets of his city. He needs to pass his civics class, by doing some sort of community service. He is known to take the easy way out of tasks and assignments, so he signs up for something ca
Cole
Dec 01, 2013 Cole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shattered, by Eric Walters. This book is a very interesting book. The main character in shattered is a teenager named Ian. The main plot in this book is for Ian to finish his volunteer hours so he can pass a certain class in high school. Ian chooses to begin his volunteer work at some place named the "Club". Ian not knowing that the Club is actually a soup kitchen on the other side of town from where he lives. Ian finds himself in some very very tough places in this book. Another character known ...more
Aydin Rodgers
Victor Trinh
This book is about a teenager named Ian Blackburn, the story revolves around his civics class and volunteering for the class. He meets Jacques, a homeless man and Mac the owner or The Club where he volunteers. As the story progresses Ian changes and also changes Jacques who is an alcoholic, who he convinces to go to a detox center. In the end most people have changed because of Ian's influence and Ian continues to go to The Club to help out Mac.

I picked this book up because of my tutor who gave
Literature3!Amateur
Nov 19, 2010 Literature3!Amateur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like history, sad books, other side of the world,
I didn't expect much from this book. But it did have some big surprises.
The characters are interesting. The story was unlike any other. It made you think about what was going on out there. It really was thought-provoking.
I thoughtt the story was written nicely, it was kind of perfect in a way.
This isn't just some book about a kid doing his community service, it really teaches him and the reader a lot of things.

One of my favorite parts is when he's with the man at a dumpster. The old man expla
Britney
Nov 08, 2013 Britney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hi I'm Britney and I'm going to write a review on 'Shattered' by Eric Wilson. This book was a alright novel, it wasn't my favourite genre, mystery and suspense. But it left a really good impression on you, Ian the main character has a terrible point of view o the world in the beginning of this book but by the end Ian had changed his way of life and made a 360 turn. Ian had grown up with many privileges and got almost everything he had ever wanted until his civics class hit him with an assignment ...more
Ethan
Jan 24, 2016 Ethan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shattered is the kind of book that makes you think about the world around us, this is demonstrated by the following points. Firstly it puts the less fortunate and the world they live in right in the spotlight, and that makes you think just how many homeless people there are and how they manage to survive, also it makes you think just how they got to where they are. Another reason is that the book does not shy away from real events which most books tend to do and the result is a very interesting ...more
Xixi
Apr 04, 2016 Xixi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Shattered by Eric Walters is a well structured book with obvious character development for the main character Ian. He was a spoiled teenage boy who came from a rich family yet forced to go help out in the "club" for passing his civics class. At the "club" (a soup kitchen), Ian meets Mac, the owner of the soup kitchen, and lots of other homeless people and got to know their stories. There was a special one which was called Sarge, then Jack, then Jacques. He was a soldier who fought for the Rwanda ...more
Elad Amon
Oct 06, 2015 Elad Amon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OOOOoOoOooooOoOoOoOOoOoOoOoOOOOOOoooooOOOOoOoooooooooooooooooOOh!
Love it. 'Nuff said.

Okay, to the review.
This book, Shattered by Eric Walters is amazing. I loved it so much, i finished it in a DAY.
i love it so much!
It felt like it brought me along a path, and when i saw the end, i was like "No! I dont want to go..." it was THAT good. That doesn't happen much with me, and i LUV IT.

It's about a boy named Ian who helps in a kitchen for homeless men. As the book goes on, he changes from being selfis
Yazna
Jan 27, 2012 Yazna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As my Librarian Teacher Buddy said.. "Everyone should read this book!"
It really changes the way you see some people, the book gives you a new respect for homeless people. It makes you think about how they got there...the stories. I'll never forget...the Starfish Story...

The Man Said: Boy there are thousands of dying starfish out there...you won't make a difference.

The boy picks up one starfish and throws it back into the sea "It made a to that one."
He does the same to another "And that one."

Lov
Mag
A powerful book, especially for those who come from areas of conflict. Lots of pertinent topics tackled: genocide, PTSD, homelessness and what one person can do to avert evil and help others.

Some quotes and little parables sounded a bit tired to me, but I'm sure they would be fresh to the kids. All in all, somewhat predictable and sugar coated, yet good to teach with a multitude of themes running through it.

Rating based on its usefulness for teenage ESL.

Harold
Sep 24, 2014 Harold rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I checked out this Canadian YA novel recently because I need to teach it in my grade 10 English course. Overall, I found it to be an easy and fairly compelling read. The story tackles a number of big issues (e.g. genocide, PTSD) in a manner that doesn't come across as too preachy or pedantic. The main character is a teenage boy volunteering at a soup kitchen in order to pass a civics assignment, so hopefully my students will find something they can relate to.
Lisa
Mar 27, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Eric Walters writing sometimes bugs me because it seems like he is trying to awkwardly throw in too much information through dialogue... I was willing to ignore that because I LOVED this book. I'm a sucker for the "you can make a difference" books, and this one really caught me. As well as a story which I enjoyed all the way through, this one taught me some things I didn't know about Rwanda.
Meredith
May 20, 2013 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a well written volume of terrifying events, both globally and locally. It delves into genocide, homelessness and the marginalization of a vulnerable part of our own global community. It is an uncomfortable read but sheds light on stories that need to be told. It's a book that will haunt you when you're not reading it and will force you to take on alternative perspectives... All in 219 pages. A great read for adults and young adults alike. Highly recommended.
Bonnie Ferrante
Jun 14, 2013 Bonnie Ferrante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eric Walters certainly doesn't shy away from tackling horrific subjects. This book is a 2-for-1 – homelessness and genocide. It is told with great compassion and insight as well as a lot of facts. The protagonist's understanding of both subject grows dramatically, as does his own humanitarianism. Walters manages to avoid preachiness but parts of the book sound like a research project. I enjoyed it and cared about all the characters.
Lisa Shirley
Jun 06, 2013 Lisa Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story, the book is written for teens so it is a super easy, rainy day read. The story follows a well off 16 year old boy who has community service to do for a class, accidentally picks a soup kitchen. You get to grow along with him and remember the beauty in everyone,rich or poor, drunk or sober. Great read I will recommend to a young reader.
Cat
Apr 19, 2014 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: v-w-and-the-rest
Shattered was surprisingly a really good book; it's not the type of book I would normally read but I really liked it. Shattered had some really interesting messages, some more obvious than others; I also liked how the main character changed for the better. I would read this book again if I ever got the chance.
Polly
Dec 22, 2012 Polly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ya, canadian
A pretty amazing book, although I'm slightly appalled by the level of ignorance exhibited by the fictional characters about Rawanda. Surely Canadian high school teachers in the mid-2000s ought to have known about Canadian Peacekeepers in Rawanda? But then, what do I know about Canadian high school teachers in the mid-2000s?
  • Bifocal
  • The Maestro
  • Me and the Blondes: (The Blondes, #1)
  • A Nest of Sparrows
  • Bearwalker
  • The Secret of Grim Hill (Grim Hill, #1)
  • Wish Girl
  • Free the Children: A Young Man Fights Against Child Labor and Proves that Children Can Change the World
  • Hero
  • Awake and Dreaming
  • Apparition, (Apparition #1)
  • Getting the Girl: A Guide to Private Investigation, Surveillance, and Cookery
  • Fragile Bones: Harrison & Anna
  • The Monkeyface Chronicles
  • No Escape (Chloe & Levesque, #6)
  • Naked Fashion: The New Sustainable Fashion Revolution
  • Undergrounders
  • The Nose from Jupiter
Eric was born in Toronto in 1957, which makes him "real old". But, as Eric says, "Just because I have to grow old doesn't mean that I have to grow up!" In his many roles as parent, teacher, social worker, youth sports coach and writer he is in constant contact with children and young adults. He draws from these experiences and feels that this helps him to capture the realistic interaction between ...more
More about Eric Walters...

“No matter where you go, no matter how far you run, you can't run away from yourself.” 13 likes
“Nobody is asking you to forget," I said. "I'm asking you to remember those that you saved and to honour those you couldn't save. Giving up your life honours nobody, saves nobody. By living like this you're saying that life isn't precious. It is precious. Every life...including yours. Don't let Rwanda - don't let evil - claim one more victim. Don't let yourself be another casualty of Rwanda.” 4 likes