Start by marking “Shattered” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  775 ratings  ·  57 reviews
In order to pass social studies, fifteen-year-old Ian must complete community volunteer service. Choosing to work at "The Club” sounds like fun, until he arrives at what turns out to be a soup kitchen for the homeless in an unsafe part of the city. After a near-mugging, from which he's saved by a fierce, pipe-wielding homeless man, Ian figures this will probably be the mos ...more
Published January 2nd 2007 by Viking Canada (first published December 1st 2006)

Aalia Rehman
To start, social justice books are my favourite. This book is a great book. I'd definitely rate it a 5/5 because it brought out a very powerful message. This book is such an amazing book, it changed how I saw and thought of things involving homeless people. It really touched my heart and made me feel better about myself and for the things that I have and want to do to help out the less fortunate. It made me see how much I really don't know about the world and what goes on in the world. I would d ...more
Milaine
Feb 26, 2014 Milaine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 14+
Recommended to Milaine by: I found the book
Michelle Arrow
This review can also be found on A Thousand Lives Lived, check it out for more reviews!

My English teacher seriously rocks. Without her, this novel would've never in a million years hit my heart. Eric Walters is a Canadian author whose books I've actually heard of quite frequently where I actually gave them a chance. Genocide was the only word slash subject that described this novel what I prejudged and had heard of before, and I'm honestly so surprised with the outcome.

This isn't a middle grade
Berni
I read this in one afternoon because my daughter was studying it in Grade 5 along with her class, but she was having a hard time understanding Rwanda's tragedy along with the plot of this book. I cried when I read it because of the author's description of a little boy who witnessed his entire family die during a brutal machete attack. I encouraged my daughter to read that part as her excerpt to hook the kids in class to read it too; she reported after her presentation that her teacher cried when ...more
Julia
Walters has used this formula before - take a troubled teen and put him in the path of someone extraordinary. An angry teen has to get his community hours in for civics class, and ends up volunteering in a soup kitchen by mistake. The people he meets forces him to look outside himself and the world he lives in.

A well-told story and a little history lesson is included on peace-keeping, Rwanda, and Guatemala.

And I'm always pleased by a book that doesn't make teachers look like idiots!
Ashley
DAWWWEE, this is a sad, touching, and cute (the homeless guy).

I LOVE THIS BOOK. It's sooo sad though. well i find it is.
I actully dont remember this book that much, it was a long time ago i read it.

BUT i know it was a good book, haha.
Amy Balwin
Excellent. I recomend it to anyone.
Daniel
By: Eric Walters

I read this book with my class in school for a novel study, and I thought that it was a pretty decent book. The plot is very clear, describing what happens when, and that that triggers this. Ian, the protagonist, is a rich and ignorant kid who knows very little about the life on the streets of his city. He needs to pass his civics class, by doing some sort of community service. He is known to take the easy way out of tasks and assignments, so he signs up for something ca
Cole
Shattered, by Eric Walters. This book is a very interesting book. The main character in shattered is a teenager named Ian. The main plot in this book is for Ian to finish his volunteer hours so he can pass a certain class in high school. Ian chooses to begin his volunteer work at some place named the "Club". Ian not knowing that the Club is actually a soup kitchen on the other side of town from where he lives. Ian finds himself in some very very tough places in this book. Another character known ...more
Andrew
"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing" Jacques said.

This book is about a quintessential teenage boy named Ian Blackburn. He had been forced to take a volunteer job for his civics class because he needed full credits, and full credits meant a car for his birthday present. He meets Mac, and Jacques, a homeless man who once had been a soldier. Drawn by curiosity, Ian learns the great tragedy in Rwanda -- the tragedy that made Jacques lost his direction in life.

I'
Victor Trinh
This book is about a teenager named Ian Blackburn, the story revolves around his civics class and volunteering for the class. He meets Jacques, a homeless man and Mac the owner or The Club where he volunteers. As the story progresses Ian changes and also changes Jacques who is an alcoholic, who he convinces to go to a detox center. In the end most people have changed because of Ian's influence and Ian continues to go to The Club to help out Mac.

I picked this book up because of my tutor who gave
Literature3!Amateur
Nov 19, 2010 Literature3!Amateur rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like history, sad books, other side of the world,
I didn't expect much from this book. But it did have some big surprises.
The characters are interesting. The story was unlike any other. It made you think about what was going on out there. It really was thought-provoking.
I thoughtt the story was written nicely, it was kind of perfect in a way.
This isn't just some book about a kid doing his community service, it really teaches him and the reader a lot of things.

One of my favorite parts is when he's with the man at a dumpster. The old man expla
Britney
Hi I'm Britney and I'm going to write a review on 'Shattered' by Eric Wilson. This book was a alright novel, it wasn't my favourite genre, mystery and suspense. But it left a really good impression on you, Ian the main character has a terrible point of view o the world in the beginning of this book but by the end Ian had changed his way of life and made a 360 turn. Ian had grown up with many privileges and got almost everything he had ever wanted until his civics class hit him with an assignment ...more
Nancy
The protagonist is a teenage boy in high school who wants to pass his civics class in order to get a car for his birthday. In his journey, he encounters homeless people, and he learns about the genocide in Rwanda. A great novel by Eric Walters.
Kiara
In the beginning I had believed that Ian would be like the main guy in just dessert. Ian was rich but not as snobby and pretentious as the other guy. This book was the most disturbing one to read so far. Supra ingle I actually enjoyed it though!
Tascha Knowlton
I enjoyed this book. Very easy read. The growth of the protagonist develops steadily and the book end well. I wish the relationship with his parents was mentioned more, or that there was growth in that aspect.
Karol Sanchez
Its is a great book that overviews the situation of homelessness and war, genocide. It is a sad book i must say but it teaches a great lesson that hits you hard, right to your gut.
Christopher Bittorf
I had to read this for grade 10 English. It wasn't a book that I would have read on my own, but it wasn't technically a bad book. There are people who would love this book.
just_love_laugh_read :D
Sep 25, 2014 just_love_laugh_read :D rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Overcoming-Hardships-in-Life-Readers
Rated this book, 5 stars because i thought that the story gave me a strong message about being strong.
Yazna
As my Librarian Teacher Buddy said.. "Everyone should read this book!"
It really changes the way you see some people, the book gives you a new respect for homeless people. It makes you think about how they got there...the stories. I'll never forget...the Starfish Story...

The Man Said: Boy there are thousands of dying starfish out there...you won't make a difference.

The boy picks up one starfish and throws it back into the sea "It made a to that one."
He does the same to another "And that one."

Lov
Harold
3.5 stars. I checked out this Canadian YA novel recently because I need to teach it in my grade 10 English course. Overall, I found it to be an easy and fairly compelling read. The story tackles a number of big issues (e.g. genocide, PTSD) in a manner that doesn't come across as too preachy or pedantic. The main character is a teenage boy volunteering at a soup kitchen in order to pass a civics assignment, so hopefully my students will find something they can relate to.
Mag
A powerful book, especially for those who come from areas of conflict. Lots of pertinent topics tackled: genocide, PTSD, homelessness and what one person can do to avert evil and help others.

Some quotes and little parables sounded a bit tired to me, but I'm sure they would be fresh to the kids. All in all, somewhat predictable and sugar coated, yet good to teach with a multitude of themes running through it.

Rating based on its usefulness for teenage ESL.

Meredith
I think this is a well written volume of terrifying events, both globally and locally. It delves into genocide, homelessness and the marginalization of a vulnerable part of our own global community. It is an uncomfortable read but sheds light on stories that need to be told. It's a book that will haunt you when you're not reading it and will force you to take on alternative perspectives... All in 219 pages. A great read for adults and young adults alike. Highly recommended.
Bonnie Ferrante
Eric Walters certainly doesn't shy away from tackling horrific subjects. This book is a 2-for-1 – homelessness and genocide. It is told with great compassion and insight as well as a lot of facts. The protagonist's understanding of both subject grows dramatically, as does his own humanitarianism. Walters manages to avoid preachiness but parts of the book sound like a research project. I enjoyed it and cared about all the characters.
Lisa
Although Eric Walters writing sometimes bugs me because it seems like he is trying to awkwardly throw in too much information through dialogue... I was willing to ignore that because I LOVED this book. I'm a sucker for the "you can make a difference" books, and this one really caught me. As well as a story which I enjoyed all the way through, this one taught me some things I didn't know about Rwanda.
Marie
I started reading Shattered at the beach yesterday while my daughter was swimming. Bedtime came and I couldn't sleep 'till I finished it! Powerful story and engaging protagonist. Eric Walters takes the reader on a journey of self-discovery: we are forced to examine our own prejudices about homeless people, who we, as a society, consider "worth less". Thought-provoking and heart-warming!
Lisa Shirley
I enjoyed this story, the book is written for teens so it is a super easy, rainy day read. The story follows a well off 16 year old boy who has community service to do for a class, accidentally picks a soup kitchen. You get to grow along with him and remember the beauty in everyone,rich or poor, drunk or sober. Great read I will recommend to a young reader.
Cat
Shattered was surprisingly a really good book; it's not the type of book I would normally read but I really liked it. Shattered had some really interesting messages, some more obvious than others; I also liked how the main character changed for the better. I would read this book again if I ever got the chance. ...more
Steve Wilson
This young adult novel offers a glimpse into homelessness as a result of mental illness. One of the characters is based on Romeo Dallaire, returning to Canada after the atrocities he witnessed in Rwanda. It's pretty heavy stuff, but it's approached in an inviting and captivating way. I will consider reading it with my students.
Polly
A pretty amazing book, although I'm slightly appalled by the level of ignorance exhibited by the fictional characters about Rawanda. Surely Canadian high school teachers in the mid-2000s ought to have known about Canadian Peacekeepers in Rawanda? But then, what do I know about Canadian high school teachers in the mid-2000s?
  • Bifocal
  • The Maestro
  • Me and the Blondes: Book One Of The Series
  • A Nest of Sparrows
  • Bearwalker
  • The Secret of Grim Hill (Grim Hill, #1)
  • Half Brother
  • Hero
  • Awake and Dreaming
  • Apparition, (Apparition #1)
  • Undergrounders
  • Borderline
  • Free the Children: A Young Man Fights Against Child Labor and Proves that Children Can Change the World
  • First Stone
  • Close to the Heel (Seven, #5)
  • The Monkeyface Chronicles
  • The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen
  • A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Bag
Eric was born in Toronto in 1957, which makes him "real old". But, as Eric says, "Just because I have to grow old doesn't mean that I have to grow up!" In his many roles as parent, teacher, social worker, youth sports coach and writer he is in constant contact with children and young adults. He draws from these experiences and feels that this helps him to capture the realistic interaction between ...more
More about Eric Walters...
We All Fall Down The Rule of Three (The Rule of Three, #1) Safe as Houses Alexandria of Africa End of Days

“No matter where you go, no matter how far you run, you can't run away from yourself.” 1 likes
“Nobody is asking you to forget," I said. "I'm asking you to remember those that you saved and to honour those you couldn't save. Giving up your life honours nobody, saves nobody. By living like this you're saying that life isn't precious. It is precious. Every life...including yours. Don't let Rwanda - don't let evil - claim one more victim. Don't let yourself be another casualty of Rwanda.” 0 likes