Start by marking “The Brahms Deception” as Want to Read:

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  132 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
In her highly intriguing new novel, Louise Marley masterfully intertwines the past and present with a mystery surrounding one of the world's greatest composers. . .
The Brahms Deception
Music scholar Frederica Bannister is thrilled when she beats her bitter rival, Kristian North, for the chance to be transferred back to 1861 Tuscany to observe firsthand the brilliant Johan
Published August 1st 2011 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Brahms Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brahms Deception

Bookaholics
Jul 15, 2011 Bookaholics rated it really liked it
The Brahms Deception by Louise Marley
Paranormal Historical Romance - July 26th, 2011
4 1/2 stars

Kristian North lost the prized music scholarship to a girl named Frederica Bannister. If he had been chosen, he would be one of the few people to do Remote research - a time travelesque method where a person travels back to the past as an observer. But something horrible had goes wrong when Frederica is ‘transferred’ to 1861 to meet Brahms. She does not wake up even after the scientists tried to bring
Deborah Ross
Feb 15, 2012 Deborah Ross rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Louise Marley's work for years now. By a wonderful coincidence, I had just begun learning the Brahms piano piece, Waltz in A Flat, when I read The Brahms Deception. For an adult beginner with small hands, playing Brahms amounts to an exercise that rivals the most complex yoga postures. The man apparently had immense hands and wrote music that he could play, refusing to compromise with anyone else's limitations. Except, apparently, those of the brilliant concert pianist Clara S ...more
Allison
Dec 31, 2011 Allison rated it it was amazing
A little sci-fi mixed with historical fiction and romance. Loved this book. What a cool idea the author expanded upon. Can't wait to read another of her novels.
Neeuqdrazil
Jan 14, 2012 Neeuqdrazil rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, read-in-2012
I really enjoyed this one. It took a bit to get into it, but by the end, I didn't want to let the characters go.
Dawn Cook
Oct 16, 2011 Dawn Cook rated it really liked it
I loved the book was a great story.
Anna
Aug 20, 2012 Anna rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nobody
I'm probably not the target audience for this book, and indeed it was not for me. The story started weakly with one of the point-of-view characters examining her reflection in a mirrored surface. It did not get better.

The characters never seemed true. Almost without exception, the author depicted good people as beautiful, noble, and poor (and if they were a woman, they were small), while depicting bad people as ugly, rich, and controlling (and, if a woman, big -- the villain even had big feet a
Rainbowjay
Jan 02, 2013 Rainbowjay rated it it was amazing
I read three books by the same author, Louise Marley. I feel the need to write a singular review for all three. The plots are not the same, nor are they dealing with the same genres(one is more of a romance, one more science fiction, one more mystery/adventure). They are however drawn together with a singular plot device, classical music, and how it connects people throughout the ages.
The first book I read was The Braham’s Deception. This was the more science fiction based book. It dealt with
Amy
Sep 29, 2011 Amy rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for this book. Author, Louise Marley, has written feminist-themed s/f books that I've enjoyed. Her writing's even been nominated for a James Tiptree Award (for f/sf that deals with gender issues).

And the premise seemed so promising -- time travel romance meets alternate history of classical music, a sort of hybrid between Amadeus and Connie Willis's The Doomsday Book. A young musicologist goes back in time to solve some mysteries about the career of Johannes Brahms.

As in most o
Lori McD
Lauren Acton
Jan 26, 2012 Lauren Acton rated it liked it
This is a completely fabricated account of Brahm's relationship with Clara Schumann interwoven with the stories of two musicologists who are able to go back in time to observe them. I liked Kristian as a character and I was prepared to like Frederica during the first chapter, but holy crap, did she ever become a selfish bitch!
Parts of the time traveling reminded me a little of Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, in that there are people in the future who know that something has gone wrong in the pa
Phoebe
May 12, 2012 Phoebe rated it it was amazing
This is another of Louise Marley's intriguing time-travel stories, richly enhanced by her deep knowledge and love of classical music. A talented but unattractive (and ultimately dastardly) young woman pianist travels to 19th century Italy to eaves-drop on Brahms and Clara Shuman. Her emotional needs are so overwhelming that she breaks the rules and interferes and a monitor must be sent to get her back. The story is pretty straight-forward, but the telling of it is a sensitive, funny sometimes, a ...more
Paul
May 13, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
The cover of the book is misleading and is not a period romance. A new scientific discovery makes it possible to return to a previous time and be a "remote observer." Francesca, a musicologist, returns to Italy in 1861, to a vacation spot that the composer Brahms has rented. When she arrives, there is a surprise. Clara Schumann, widowed from Robert for 5 years, has joined him for the two week stay. Then trouble occurs. Francesca "disappears." Another musician, Kristian, is sent to discover what ...more
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
“The Brahms Deception” is a music history meets sci-fi thriller novel. When a musicologist travels back in time to unravel a mystery that has haunted musicians for centuries, her rival must find a way to undo the damage she creates. The book has an unexpected and interesting premise and well-developed -- if slightly stereotypical -- characters. The average reader may want to brush up on their music theory before tackling this novel.

Amy R. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our li
Lizbett
Okay I've never disliked a main character in a book (ie. the person whose perspective we read the book from) I've read like ever. But oh my god, I wanted to KILL Federica half the time like STOP FEELING SO SORRY FOR YOURSELF. Swear to god I just wanted to be done with this book so many times, but I just wanted to finish it to see how it ended. The concept was definitely interesting, but having Federica as one of the main characters just made me hate her so much it was surprising. I liked Kris an ...more
Kay
Oct 21, 2014 Kay rated it it was amazing
Ooooh....I like this author! Very good,
Mandy
Aug 28, 2012 Mandy rated it liked it
My mom gave this to me because of the classical music aspect. Too bad I’m not really a Brahms fan, but more of a Chopin or Mozart sort of a girl.

This story follows two musicologists that get a chance to observe Brahms back in his time. The going back in time aspect was pretty unique and interesting, but I kept hoping for some scientific explanation for how they accomplish it. The heroine of this book is so one-sidedly horrible with a lack of emotional depth. But, overall it’s an entertaining re
Nicole
Jun 09, 2012 Nicole rated it did not like it
hated most of the characters by the time I was halfway thru and gave up. Other people's summaries convinced me it would not improve. themes are: ugly people are evil and pretty people are good. The plot hinged on two unbelievable things: a rich woman who hates being ugly, but aparently getting plastic surgery never occurred to her; and a guy who keeps a ridiculous secret to preserve the reputation of someone who died centuries ago. AND the other man female is a Mary Sue. Arrgh.
Mitchell
Ugh. I have liked Louise Marley's books in the past but this one is even worse than the cover art. I read it as an Endeavour Award book - and it is loosely time-travel but it's more fair to label it Paranormal Romance. And for the first half of the book I absolutely just plain hated it - the concept, the hero, the villain. It ended better than it started and it was written well. But it was was not something I appreciated.
Kathleen
Jan 23, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Wow. Just...wow. Not only was the concept original and unique, but the way Louise explored the human side of what could've been a very tech-y story was great. I almost want to visit with these characters again.

Louise always does so well adding music to her text. I've enjoyed almost all of her work and really recommend her novels to anyone interested in unusual musical stories.
Heidi
This was not the book I thought I was picking up. Still, I did like it and there were several nice scenes of tension. However, the ending felt abrupt, disconnected and then nearly redeemed itself, which is why it wasn't a four- star read for me. I did enjoy the 1861 scenes and learned more about Brahms. Schumann's character seems the best drawn character in the book!
Received through Goodreads giveaway.

The cover makes it look like a romance novel, but if anything it's a blend of sci-fi and history. The story was interesting, as was the commentary it provided on nostalgia. However, the ending was a bit weak and there were some frustrating loose ends.
SpecialK
Jan 23, 2012 SpecialK rated it it was ok
A fun book about the consequences of time travel. The plot is predictable though. I like that the setting was about one of my favorite composers and about the creative process of music as I don't see that in most books I read.
Vicky
May 26, 2012 Vicky rated it really liked it
Interesting premise. Fun. Probably wouldn't have read it if it were about someone other than Brahms, but I'm glad I did.
Barbara Callahan
Jul 14, 2012 Barbara Callahan rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book. I could hardly put it down. It
certainly had a few twists I wasn't expecting.
Janice
Jun 02, 2012 Janice rated it liked it
An interesting take on "time travel". The flow of the novel, betwqeen 1861 (Brahms) and modern times was smoothly done.
Cecile
Aug 16, 2012 Cecile rated it really liked it
Really interesting and fun concept. The story does require an active and virtual imagination.
Paula
Sep 01, 2012 Paula rated it liked it

A fun read. The protagonist was a little weak but all in all I enjoyed it.
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Jul 09, 2012 Caroline Ingvaldsen rated it really liked it
Charming time travel romance is an engaging musical fantasy.
Jennifer Bowers
Aug 10, 2012 Jennifer Bowers rated it really liked it
Interesting time travel novel.
Tammi
Jan 16, 2012 Tammi rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Very different
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 12, 2015 12:07PM
  • Seduced by Grace (The Three Graces, #3)
  • The Return of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #2)
  • Fortune's Son
  • Sapphire Dream  (Jewels of Time #1)
  • A Match Made in Scandal (Donally Family, #3)
  • Lost In The Mist Of Time
  • The Wishing Chalice
  • Circles in Time
  • Secrets To Seducing A Scot (Highland Knaves, #1)
  • Daring Time
  • A Secret in Her Kiss
  • The Bride of Time
  • The Kill: A Hunt Country Suspense Novel
  • Star Crossed Seduction (Astrology, #2)
  • The Viking's Sacrifice
  • Tempted at Every Turn (Ladies' Amateur Sleuth Society, #3)
  • Must Love Kilts (Highlander, #5)
  • Bridge Over Time
Louise Marley, a former concert and opera singer, has published sixteen novels. Writing as Cate Campbell, her recent books are historical fiction. As Louise Marley, she writes fantasy and science fiction and occasionally young adult fiction.
More about Louise Marley...