The Beguilers

The Beguilers

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In Rilka's village, it isn't safe to go out after dark. That's when the beguilers drift through the streets, as bright and visible as fire-flies. Everyone knows their power--they hypnotize their victims and, in the end, lead them to their deaths. When Rilka declares her Great Intention to capture a beguiler, her family and friends mourn her. Still, a determined Rilka sets...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published March 27th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Beguilers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beguilers

Margaret
Rilka lives in a small village, where it isn't safe to go out after dark lest the beguilers lure you away, and where odd creatures called chuffies absorb human emotions, ridding the villagers of their negative feelings. Rilka has always been a misfit, and when she decides to try to catch a beguiler, she becomes an outcast. Though she does discover an astonishing truth about her world, her journey is mostly a coming-of-age tale, showing how she grows and changes as she copes with her difficult pa...more
Melissa Oliver
The Beguilers is an incredibly touching story, one I found myself reading at least every month when I was still in Primary School. I loved it so much they let me keep a copy, and somehow I've acquired three copies to this day - all hardback, and all very much read through and through.

It's written so delicately and beautifully that I don't even notice I'm reading it - more like I'm experiencing it, in the character's shoes. It's a one-of-a-kind sort of book. Such a powerful story, and the charact...more
Book Banshee Reviews
This little novel was so strange and fleeting and peculiar that I couldn’t help growing fond of it; Thompson is a gifted lyricist and the story she creates is haunting.

That said, much of its strangeness comes from the fact that although the story is fundamentally powerful, it’s surprisingly stark in its presentation.

I wanted more—more of this world of chuffies and beguilers and the humans caught between them, more Rilka, and more character interaction. Rilka’s journey is largely internal, apart...more
Shauna
This is one of my favorite YA fantasy novels. I'm not sure when it was written, but I bought it in some small bookshop on the ring road in Ireland years ago and just loved it! So much so that I described it to my husband, who did a painting for my birthday of my description. It is one of the few books that I have a double of so that I can loan it out.
Rachel
This book was solid and servicable, a fitting cleanly into the ranks of young adult high fantasy/science fiction, but was not in any way outstanding. The world building was engaging but not astounding, and the character believable but not startlingly well drawn. Recommended to those who like this genre a great deal, but not anyone else.
Samantha
Tedious...like struggling through a big patch of "druze".
On the whole, a well crafted story with some good imagery, but I thought it could have been further developed. The ending is particularly unsatisfying and lacklustre. Disappointing - left me feeling exhausted!
I'm surprised this book won so many prizes.

Lauren
I really wanted to like this book, but I never really got into it. Rilka wasn't compelling as a character. The concept was interesting, but it stopped there.
Kd
This was a great little book that went fast and had an interesting plot. I have found some really good reading in the Young Adult section of my library.
Lucy Weaver
I enjoyed Switchers more. This book is far more scattered and written with the heroine in a dreamy/hypnotised state.
Christina
I didn't enjoy the story very much. Maybe it is because I don't really like fantasy.
Tammy
Different and a nice change. Kids books are for adults to!
Kaye
This was a peculiar book.
Sage
Sage marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Avery
Avery is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
Mitchell
Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Bri
Bri marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Reem
Reem added it
Jun 04, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
zjlht
zjlht marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Jessica Shurgin
Jessica Shurgin marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Clare
Clare added it
Apr 14, 2014
Polly
Polly marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What's The Name o...: Young Adult- Fluffy sorrow-absorbing creatures [s] 3 23 Jul 07, 2012 09:20AM

Kate Thompson is an award-winning writer for children and adults.She has lived in Ireland, where many of her books are set, since 1981. She is the youngest child of the social historians and peace activists E. P. Thompson and Dorothy Towers. She worked with horses and travelled in India before settling in the w...more
More about Kate Thompson...
The New Policeman (New Policeman, #1) Switchers (Switchers, #1) Creature of the Night Midnight's Choice (Switchers, #2) The Last of the High Kings (New Policeman, #2)