Start by marking “Le dernier vœu (Sorceleur, #1)” as Want to Read:
Le dernier vœu (Sorceleur, #1)

Le dernier vœu (Saga o Wiedźminie #1)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  43,671 Ratings  ·  2,428 Reviews
Geralt de Riv est un personnage étrange, une bizarrerie de la nature, un mutant qui, grâce à la magie et à un long entraînement, mais aussi grâce à un mystérieux élixir, est devenu un meurtrier parfait. Ses cheveux blancs, ses yeux nyctalopes et son manteau noir effrayent et fascinent. Il parcourt des contrées pittoresques en gagnant sa vie comme chasseur de monstres. En c ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published April 22nd 2011 by Milady (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Le dernier vœu, please sign up.

Wojtek Generally speaking: yes

Reading order should be: The Last wish -> Sword of Destiny -> Saga (starting with Blood of Elves)
There is Storm season,…more
Generally speaking: yes

There is Storm season, published recently. I’d say it could be read after saga
(less)
Susan If you enjoyed the side quests, then yes. You'll meet a lot of characters present in the game, and the type of stories is similiar, where almost every…moreIf you enjoyed the side quests, then yes. You'll meet a lot of characters present in the game, and the type of stories is similiar, where almost every character, important or not, has their backstory, there's no black-and-white morality. Stories are bound by Geralt telling them after some time to a young girl.
If you enjoyed the main plot and don't care that much for the stories and (mostly) unrelated adventures, you can start with Blood of Elves. That's when the whole drama with war and Ciri begins.
Also: the author himself considers the game to be very good, made in similiar style, and showing a faithful picture of the Witcher world (even though the games are not canon).(less)

Aaron
May 17, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Think about a fantasy book. Think about your favorite fantasy book. Chances are, it included elves or maybe dwarves. It probably had knights or something like them. It was, most likely, heavily influenced by Tolkien, or his successors, and it was probably based, at least in part, on a certain Anglo-saxon, or maybe French, sort of medieval culture. And if you read fantasy, there's probably 15 or so more like it on your bookshelf or your e-reader of choice.

So here's my recommendation: put down Lor
Markus
“People” - Geralt turned his head - “like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous themselves.”

Arguably the least famous one among my favourite fantasy series, The Witcher Saga by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski is something of a diamond in the rough. This is not something I’d recommend to just about anyone, but I would call it absodamnlutely amazing without a moment of hesitation.

While it is not a part of the main saga per se, The Last Wish is definitely my favourite
Evgeny
Oct 21, 2016 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

It is my personal belief that when it comes to myths nobody be
Melanie
Last summer I became completely obsessed with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, where I took screenshots like this:

(Add me on Steam!)

And once I was finished with the DLC I knew I had to finally read the books to fill the void I now carry in my heart.

This book was translated from Polish to English. It contains seven short stories, and introduces our main protagonist in both games and books, Geralt.

“People”—Geralt turned his head—“like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I tried to make this short. I really did. I failed. I really did.

One thing before we begin this thing: I had never heard of this book/series/author until my Canadian Nemesis (aka Evgeny the Sometimes Wise One) read it/it/him. And given that 1/The Sometimes Wise One's book taste is not entirely despicable (view spoiler) and that 2/ The Sometimes Wise One seemed inclined to think I might not entirely not enjoy this book were
♛Tash
Nov 29, 2015 ♛Tash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy

Now that I've read the The Witcher in it's original form, well not exactly original because I do not understand Polish, I can say that The Witcher is truly worth the nearly 30 years of hype in both literature and gaming.

The Last Wish introduces us to the legendary Geralt of Rivia the White Wolf and his exploits as a Witcher. The story isn't linear as it is a collection of short stories as Geralt goes to different kingdoms and hamlets in need of his Witcher services. In here we read fantastic re
Mangrii
Mar 23, 2016 Mangrii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2016
Este primer libro de la saga de Geralt de Rivia consta de una compilación de seis relatos sin ningún orden cronológico, teniendo a modo de hilo conductor una séptima historia intercalada entre cada relato; donde vamos conociendo al famoso brujo blanco Geralt de Rivia a través de diversos episodios y aventuras en su vida, así como el mundo en el que tendrá lugar toda su saga. o conocer algunos de sus futuros personajes más relevantes, como son su amigo, el trovador descarado Jaskier o su eterno a ...more
Bookwraiths
Dec 17, 2016 Bookwraiths rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

Before picking up The Last Wish, I was briefed by my friends on what to expect, prepared to experience a pulp fiction story similar to Robert E. Howard’s Conan and Michael Moorcock’s Elric, so I was not surprised to find this novel a “frame” tale collecting a series of unrelated short stories. Certainly, I could see that there was an overarching plot right under the surface, but the fascinating thing about this volume was the unique spin on old fairy tales, the
Mogsy (MMOGC)
At present, I'm working my way through The Witcher 2 video game which is probably the main reason why I've finally decided to tackle The Last Wish, which has been sitting in my to-read list for almost two years. I am in love with the game so far, and curiosity naturally led me to the books that inspired it.

The book collects seven short stories in a "frame" format, so we have an overarching frame story and six more that are told in a flashback or a memory, each forming a story of its own. Not sur
Knjigoholičarka
Iako nemam šta pametno za reći, osećam da moram da napišem nešto o knjizi koju sam pročitala u 24 sata, doduše, nije da sam čitala sve vreme, stigla sam i kupatilo da oribam.

Elem, epska fantastika nije moj fah, moram priznati. Ok, "Hobit" je sladak, i "Gospodara prstenova" sam na jedvite jade izgulila, drugari me za rođendan uvalili u "Točak vremena", a treći drugar, podjednako sadistički nastrojen, u "Pesmu leda i vatre". Gde da strpam Lukjanjenkove knjige o moskovskoj Straži, još uvek ne znam.
Nena
Aug 12, 2010 Nena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the only time I've had a good experience with reading a book due to it being related to a video game. It probably helps a lot that the game was based on the book, and not vice versa. I really loved the way this book is paced, with interlinked short stories about the character cast that did not follow a linear chronological order. It was pretty ideal for reading in short stretches between working, which is the situation I'm normally in.

The characters in this are well written, and Geralt w
Lyn
Dec 08, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Wish, first published in Polish in 1993 and later in an English edition in 2007 by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski, is a cool and different approach to high fantasy, distinct from Tolkien inspired adventures.

More akin to urban fantasy, Sapkowski’s The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine and the protagonist, Geralt of Rivia, is closer to Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden than to Aragorn.

A witcher is kind of a cross between a sorc
Milda Page Runner
Re-reading Grain of Truth - my old time favourite. :)
Mimi
Jan 10, 2017 Mimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mimi by: Milda Page Runner
A fast fairytale-filled series of short stories that's just right for anyone looking for subversive fairytale retellings with a wry humorous undertone. A big thanks to Milda for the rec.

A witcher is a magically trained and transformed exterminator of the supernaturally wicked. He travels alone from town to town getting rid of monsters, many of which are straight from fairytales and folklore. But the world is a different place than it once was in the time of previous witchers and these "monsters"
José
Sep 21, 2016 José rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puedes encontrar esta y otras reseñas en mi blog (esta tiene imágenes muy lindas (?).

"El último deseo" es el primer libro de la saga de Geralt de Rivia, más conocido como "El Brujo" (The Witcher), gracias a los videojuegos basados en la obra del polaco Andrzej Sapkowski.

Geralt de Rivia es un brujo: un mutante que caza monstruos a cambio de dinero. Es un excelente espadachín que utiliza una espada de acero para los humanos y una de plata para las criaturas, también puede hacer una especie de ma
Dirk Grobbelaar
Mar 22, 2013 Dirk Grobbelaar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Like a squinty eyed gunslinger in a Sergio Leone western, Geralt of Rivia travels the wilderness in search of bounty. Leather gauntlets and level-headedness come standard. He is a Witcher; a hunter of monsters.

This is actually a collection of short stories loosely strung together to form some sort of whole. It is really just an introduction to the world of The Witcher; a teaser, if you will, of things to come. This sat fine with me, since the stories were fascinating. Many of them have some bas
Penny
While this was an enjoyable read, it had a few elements that turned it into a not very good book by the end.

This book is written as a frame story which is a nice way of saying it's a set of stories within a story. Each of the shorter stories seem to be based loosely on fairly tales, while the main story is that of a witcher Geralt and his adventures and life.

Unfortunately the short stories within the main story arc were not all transitioned into smoothly which made for a bumpy ride. The "fairy
Stuart
Feb 10, 2014 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Thou is a mixed bag, just like a bag of Revels"

Here's the problem. When eating a bag of Revels there are three flavours to risk eating; toffee, biscuit and coffee. For me I seem to always get a mouthful of coffee *ewww*. The Last Wish is exactly like that, given that the book itself is a series of short stories, with one slightly longer tale woven across seven separate chapters. The rest being slightly related to the Witcher known as Geralt. Some time ago I played the PC game (which is very goo
Athena Shardbearer

"Only Evil and Greater Evil exist and beyond them, in the shadows, lurks True Evil. True Evil, Geralt, is something you can barely imagine, even if you believe nothing can still surprise you. And sometimes True Evil seizes you by the throat and demands that you choose between it and another, slightly lesser, Evil."

Rob
Executive Summary: I haven't played any of the Witcher games, though I've been vaguely aware of them for awhile. I thought this book was decent, but it didn't make me want to rush out to play the games or pick up the next book.

Full Review
This book is really a collection of 6 short stories tied together with several interludes. I probably liked some of the interludes better than any one story. I was more interested in the Witcher and the politics of his world than I was about any of the random
Mike (the Paladin)
A good read. It inspired a computer game(some will be impressed one way and some another by that...and others will say "so what". Probably the best reaction i suppose). I found the book enjoyable with a couple of weaknesses. This is a good idea, I think (and this is only my opinion) it could have been handled better. For on thing I'm just tired of stories about "the last" whatever. The last dragon, the last fairy, the last elf...on and on. Here we meet the Witcher. A sort of sorcerer/warrior who ...more
Will M.
Jun 30, 2014 Will M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Will by: Markus

He kills the horrors and monsters that awaits us in the forests and ravines. And those with the audacity to enter our dwellings."

Geralt is a witcher. He gets paid to kill those monsters that lurk around in town. People fear the monsters, but they also fear the witcher himself.

So this one was basically a collection of short stories of the adventures of Geralt as a witcher. I wasn't expecting to have this less action, compared to most Fantasy novels I've read. I was expecting brutality, but
Martitara
Me esperaba un poco más. Creo que el formato de antología se relatos no me ha ayudado a conectar con el protagonista, aunque es cierto que al final Geralt engancha. Y los relatos van a mejor, aunque a pesar de todo no tenía pensado seguir con la saga... hasta que he llegado al final. Maldito e intrigante cliffhanger...
Joaquin Garza
Me gustan mucho las novelas que parecen unir diversas tradiciones. Siempre he visto con muy buenos ojos a los autores que toman hilos y estambres y los emplean para tejer un tapiz completamente nuevo. Andrzej Sapkowski es uno de ellos.

Fuera de la fantasía anglosajona, absolutamente dominante en el mercado, sólo tenemos representantes alemanes importantes (Ende y Funke) y ya. No considero a ningún otro autor de alguna otra nacionalidad como verdadero ‘jugador’ del medio de la literatura fantástic
DΛV·D (dfsamos)
He disfrutado como un enano con “El Último Deseo”, repleto de aventuras, magia antigua, seres mitológicos, versiones de cuentos clásicos, un lenguaje sin tapujos y directo (como los personajes) en definitiva, muy entretenido y muy recomendable, solamente espero que al menos continúe con el mismo nivel en los siguientes volúmenes.
Jonathan
May 17, 2016 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read this collection of short-stories several months ago, I finally picked up The Witcher 3 to play on my x-box.* After only a few short hours I am enthralled by the richness of the fantasy world visible on my television screen. For if there is one element that Andrzej Sapkowski garnishes and perfects in this collection of tales it is the worldbuilding.

If you enjoy A Game of Thrones, I personally would consider Sapkowski's work here to be grittier and grimmer than G.R.R. Martin's. Perhap
Lisa
Jul 26, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Full Review at Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/0...

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski surprised me, not only in the fresh, yet familiar style, but also in that it is actually a collection of short stories, all with a common character of Geralt. The Voice of Reason is the opening and framework story, as Geralt recounts past events in the form of the other short stories. As each short story concludes, we return to The Voice of Reason which will proceed a bit and segue to the
seak
Jun 26, 2013 seak rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Old Review from Blog:

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski has so much going for it, but in the end it was a disappointment. The title is great, the cover is awesome, and the story premise is just cool. Who wouldn't want to read about a guy that goes around fighting monsters and demons for a living? And now that I have, I don't know if I can recommend it.

Sapkowski is one of the best known fantasy writers in Poland and it's sad because it seems like there are some things that were lost in the trans
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I thought this was a fun read that is a good reflection of why I join groups like the Sword and Laser. I never would have read it otherwise. I found it to be very readable, and I pictured all the little short stories as game episodes and that made it go very quickly. The monsters from eastern European mythology/folklore made it fun, although most of what I Googled took me to the wiki for The Witcher, so they must be pretty scarce elsewhere in literature.

Kenchiin
Aug 24, 2016 Kenchiin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting approach to fantasy and a very enjoyable way to introduce characters which will clearly play a major role later.
Which book should I read first? 2 16 Jan 03, 2017 02:20PM
The Sword and Laser: TLW - The Polish TV series 8 108 Sep 08, 2016 06:52AM
The Sword and Laser: * TLW: The Last Wish is the August 2016 book! 65 415 Sep 05, 2016 07:58AM
The Sword and Laser: TLW: Favorite Tale in The Last Wish 21 135 Sep 01, 2016 06:20PM
The Sword and Laser: S&L Podcast - #266 - Are You Reading Too Much? 15 187 Aug 28, 2016 07:33AM
The Sword and Laser: TLW: The Voice of Reason 7 126 Aug 27, 2016 12:10PM
The Sword and Laser: TLW: Geralt Cosplay 8 102 Aug 26, 2016 04:14AM
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 1
  • Sługa Boży (Mordimer Madderdin, #1)
  • Inne Pieśni
  • Kwiat kalafiora (Jeżycjada, #3)
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 1 (Wolha Redna, #1)
  • Limes inferior
  • Żarna Niebios (Zastępy Anielskie, #1)
  • Potop
  • Czarownik Iwanow (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #2)
  • Achaja. Tom I (Achaja, #1)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more
More about Andrzej Sapkowski...

Saga o Wiedźminie (7 books)
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Krew elfów (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)

“People," Geralt turned his head, "like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous themselves. When they get blind-drunk, cheat, steal, beat their wives, starve an old woman, when they kill a trapped fox with an axe or riddle the last existing unicorn with arrows, they like to think that the Bane entering cottages at daybreak is more monstrous than they are. They feel better then. They find it easier to live.” 452 likes
“Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.” 210 likes