Start by marking “The Dead of Night (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dead of Night (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #3)

The Dead of Night (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers #3)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,820 Ratings  ·  248 Reviews
A LIFE ON THE LINE
When seven members of his family were kidnapped by the Vespers, thirteen-year-old Dan Cahill knew he was in for the fight of his life. He knew he was up against an impossibly powerful enemy. And Dan knew the odds were that some of his family members wouldn't make it.
But even as Dan steels himself to accept these facts, the unthinkable happens. The Vespers
Published March 6th 2012 by Scholastic Inc. (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead of Night, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Maze of Bones by Rick RiordanInto the Gauntlet by Margaret Peterson HaddixThe Sword Thief by Peter LerangisOne False Note by Gordon KormanThe Dead of Night by Peter Lerangis
The 39 Clues
5th out of 39 books — 44 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
484th out of 2,493 books — 15,889 voters

More lists with this book...

Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
Galini
May 21, 2012 Galini rated it it was amazing
**SPOILER ALERT**
Take deep breaths, Galini, inhale.
OHMYHOLYCHOCOLATEICE-CREAM, THIS BOOK WAS PERFECTO!!!
Yes, I miss the old 39 Clues books more than anything -see how the new series are so different, and the new Dan is just so... ugh... I miss his old crazy self not caring about the world... but the book was still amazing. I'm not quite fond of Ian leaving, as he is my favorite character, but I finally congratulate Amy for not being so obsessed over Evan Trolliver. My number 3 favorite characte
Melissa
Mar 13, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
I might be the only middle-aged woman who gets excited every time another one of this series comes out... but that's okay. I don't know how many times Amy and Dan will very nearly almost die... but not quite... before I get sick of these, but it hasn't happened yet.
Marie Clarisse
The roar of an engine blasted from his left—and a Harley-Davidson motorcycle with flame decals jumped in front of him.
A small crowd of travelers scattered.
"How do you say, 'You jerk!' in Turkish?" Jake asked.
"Erasmus!" Dan cried with relief.
Jake balled his fist angrily and shouted, "Erasmus!"
The driver pulled off his helmet and goggles, allowing his dark, curly locks to spill over the collar of his black leather jacket. The sun has created a raccoonlike pattern on his face. "At your service."
"Wa
Izzy Lightfleur ~ ON HIATUS
Dun, dun, dun!((Yeah, you were supposed to say that out loud while playing a bass drum. :P))

The siblings Amy and Dan Cahill return in the 3rd book of the series Cahills Vs. Vespers. Also returning are the brothers Jake and Atticus Rosenbloom, along with the Cahills captives. The main plot in the book? Find Atticus, free him, and figure out what it is that Vesper 1 wants now. Complicated? Just a smidge.

What I love in this book is the plot and character development. The plot is just amazing, and j
Book Whales
Mar 19, 2012 Book Whales rated it really liked it
Originally posted @ Book Whales

We are finally on the 3rd part of Cahills vs Vespers. With stakes very high on this part of the story we all wonder how can they make the story more interesting. (Like I said before this is a long running series). With Dan and Amy following again another order from the Vesper One they now go to the majestic place of Samarkand. (When I read that they are going to that place I remember book The Amulet of Samarkand which I still dont have the time to read)

SPOILER ALER
Denise
Apr 10, 2012 Denise rated it it was amazing
Aurora
Grace
Apr 03, 2012 Grace rated it it was ok
You know, at the beginning, when the 39 Clue first started, I fell in love with the series. Now, Dan has turned into Mr. Constant-Evil-Thoughts, Amy has boy problems, and people are dying left and right. What happened? What happened? I tell you what happened: In the book Into the Gauntlet , Dan (poor, evil kid) happened to memorize the serum to make you the strongest and smarted person alive. He sees it as the solution to all his problems. He doesn't see that it's deadly and will screw everyth ...more
stella yip
Apr 26, 2012 stella yip rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-39-clues, owned
In this book, we get to see Dan's perspective on his view about his dad. And also he's fearing that he's becoming more and more like his dad. You go, bro. Figure it out that whatever your dad is, doesn't make you a part of him.

Also we got Ian's view. Hmm, I'm beginning to suspect that his mom is vesper 1 or 2 or 3. Something around there. Powerful enough but not the strongest one.

Oh, don't forget Amy too. Guess she's torn between Ian, her first crush, Evan, the sweet boyfriend, and the mean ye
Anastasia Antonova
Oct 26, 2015 Anastasia Antonova rated it it was amazing
Всего несколько мыслей в голове: что здесь, черт подери, происходит? И - кто главный враг?

Итог: 10 из 10
Krishna812
OH MY GOSH THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD I COULDNT EVEN LET IT DOWN!!! I just finished it and it is EPIC!!!. To think Arthur Josiah Trent is Still allive. Dan'd Dan may be vesper 1 though!!! I wonder if the Vespers end up being good. There are always turns like that in books. Cant wait till the next book comes out....SHATTER PROOF!!!! Its supposed to be about Dan and Amy stealing the HOPE DIAMOND which is the biggest diamond in the WORLD!!!!! Good Job Peter Lerangis!!!!
Arem
Dec 08, 2013 Arem added it
When Amy and Dan got all the ingredents for the formula they thout that they were the most powerful family in human history THEY WERE WRONG. When the Vespers kidnap 7 of there family members and threatened them to get them stuff. When they kidnap Atticus Dan goes on a all out surch for atticus that could end in disaster.
Kimberly
Dec 10, 2011 Kimberly marked it as to-read
Johnp
Apr 23, 2014 Johnp rated it it was ok
Peter Lerangis serves up a book that is more silly (in my opinion) than tense.
Atticus is held hostage by the Wyomings and Amy and Dan must locate an astrolabe in Uzbekistan. There is a sub-plot with Ian Kabra, who tracks down his mother in New York – but that story just seems to end. A new development in the story line involves Dan receiving text messages from someone who seems to be his dearly departed father. Seems too good to be true, but, like everything else, we are left hanging.

I had a ha
Cher Cabula
Mar 13, 2012 Cher Cabula rated it it was amazing
Next book please! I'm just so overwhelmed by how complex the plot had become since picking up the first book of the series. I love the twists, the humanity of the characters and the fact that I can't second-guess what the endgame is. Keep 'em coming.
Devin Barrett
Mar 23, 2012 Devin Barrett rated it liked it
I am probably the only adult that gets excited about these coming out, but the follow up series to the 39 Clues has aged well with the target audience. I still feel as interested in the Cahills as I did in "The Maze of Bones." I can't wait until book 4!
Angie
Apr 03, 2012 Angie rated it liked it
I love love this series!! I gave this one 3 stars though because I thought the hunt for clues was a little confusing. I wasn't really sure what they were looking for. But the main story about the 4 kids was just as good as the rest of the books!
Trudee Bealka
Mar 09, 2012 Trudee Bealka rated it it was amazing
Like always, I loved the characters, the story, the chase, the humor, all of it. I am really enjoying the Amy/Jake interaction and the addition of Atticus as more of a major character. These books are a true delight.
Percyjacksonrox!!!
May 31, 2012 Percyjacksonrox!!! rated it it was amazing
Another. Amazing. Book.
Lived it!!! Total page turner, I just wish that the books were bigger,,I finished it in two days! But I still really enjoyed it and I can't wait till the next one!!!
Ginny
Mar 01, 2012 Ginny rated it liked it
This is an action packed adventure. It was a return to the flavor of the original series--definitely less dark than book 1 in Vespers vs Cahills. I found it a welcome change.
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Apr 20, 2015 Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
39 Clues Cahills vs Vespers Book 3: The Dead of NIght

There are seven Cahills held captive by the Vespers. Dan and Amy are blackmailed into finding different items for the Vespers. They have a limited time to solve the puzzle and find the item or a Cahill will die. In book three the hunt takes a twist as the Vespers have kidnapped Atticus, Dan's Best friend to add an 8th hostage to their scheme. Continuing their world wide treck that will take them to back alleys of Prague and rock caves of Turke
Jan 20, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
In book three, Amy and Dan are delayed in their quest for a stale orb, whatever that is, as they go rescue Dan's only friend, Atticus, from some rogue Vespers. Luckily, Atticus isn't your typical 11-year-old, since he is both a prodigy and a Guardian, which means he has always been in the fight against the Vespers whether he knew it or not. Also, Dan keeps getting texts from his dead father, which pushes him closer to the dark side. Seven Cahill hostages depend upon Amy and Dan to unravel every ...more
Bookworm007
Jun 15, 2012 Bookworm007 rated it really liked it
*FAINTED FROM HAPPINESS EXPLOSION*

FUTURE BOOKS PEOPLE!!:
Jenny
Mar 21, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
Love these books-- so happy they come out twice a year!
Katie
Mar 06, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-39-clues
Divya, I'm gonna need your help with some codes.
Alana
Mar 19, 2012 Alana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
someone hurry up and read so i can discuss!!
Ellie
Mar 30, 2012 Ellie rated it really liked it
3.75

So I don't like this series as much as the original 39 Clues. I like to think that it's because second series is not as good, but maybe it's just a result of me and my tastes actually maturing. (Shock!) But anyway, yeah, I didn't like the first two books as much. The second one was just plain annoying. But The Dead of Night was actually pretty refreshing, compared to its two predecessors. Jake did NOT annoy me, surprisingly. Atticus was pretty funny, although he didn't always come across as
Pam Ford
Jul 19, 2012 Pam Ford rated it liked it
Well, we're onto book three, and I'm not sure how I feel about this one. This time they venturing to Samarkand on a hunt for "a stale orb". i don't necessarily think this particular riddle is as difficult as ones in the past, nor is the item's importance, which makes this one harder to get into.

And while I'm enjoying the two newbies (Jake and Atticus) I am slightly bewildered by this "love triangle" that seems to be suggested. I mean, this is a kid's book and haven't they already made us consid
Beaulah Pragg
Apr 19, 2012 Beaulah Pragg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
Yet another stunning instalment. This time we are in Samarkand, the second largest city in Uzbekistan, and our daring heroes have more than one bad-guy on their tail. After their art-heist in book one and antics in the Colosseum in book two, they are now on the hunt for an 'orb' or some sort and as always, time is running out.

This book led poor Dan even further towards the dark side, but had enough humorous moments to keep it from being too sombre. I love the way that each character is maintaini
Book Review 2 5 Nov 19, 2013 07:04AM
Longer? 34 39 Jun 12, 2013 07:10PM
Aaaaghh!AJT!!!!!!And other Auuughhh!!!info. 9 31 Dec 07, 2012 06:08PM
The 39 Clues ROX!!!: Cahills vs. Vespers: The Dead of Night 29 12 Jun 02, 2012 04:40PM
  • A King's Ransom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #2)
  • Trust No One (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #5)
  • Shatterproof (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #4)
  • Hunted (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #3)
  • The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1)
  • Day of Doom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #6)
  • Vespers Rising (The 39 Clues, #11)
  • The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5)
  • The 39 Clues: Agent Handbook
Lerangis's work includes The Viper's Nest and The Sword Thief, two titles in the children's-book series The 39 Clues, the historical novel Smiler's Bones, the YA dark comedy-adventure novel wtf, the Drama Club series, the Spy X series, the Watchers series, the Abracadabra series, and the Antarctica two-book adventure, as well ghostwriting for series such as the Three Investigators, the Hardy Boys ...more
More about Peter Lerangis...

The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers (6 books)
  • The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1)
  • A King's Ransom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #2)
  • Shatterproof (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #4)
  • Trust No One (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #5)
  • Day of Doom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #6)

Mrrrp?
To anyone else in the Cahill universe, the high-pitched sound of the pet Egyptian Mau had a hundred different meanings: the playful mrrp, the I-want-red-snapper mrrp, the that-wasn't-enough-red-snapper mrrp, the thank-you-for-the-meager-portion-of-red-snapper mrrp. And on and on.
But to Ian Kabra's ears, each was the I-hate-you-with-all-my-soul mrrp.”
29 likes
“The roar of an engine blasted from his left—and a Harley-Davidson motorcycle with flame decals jumped the sidewalk in front of him.
A small crowd of travelers scattered.
"How do you say, 'You jerk!' in Turkish?" Jake asked.
"Erasmus!" Dan cried with relief.
Jake balled his fist angrily and shouted, "Erasmus!"
18 likes