Start by marking “Now You See Me (Lacey Flint, #1)” as Want to Read:
Now You See Me (Lacey Flint, #1)

Now You See Me (Lacey Flint #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,046 Ratings  ·  1,054 Reviews
Now You See Me is the first in the Lacey Flint series, followed by 2012's Dead Scared and 2013's Lost.

"Bolton is changing the face of crime fiction—if you only read one crime novel this year, make it this." —Tess Gerritsen on Now You See Me

"Really special: multi-layered and sophisticated, but tough too." —Lee Child on Now You See Me

One night after interviewing a r
Published June 7th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Now You See Me, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Katie Lachappelle
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Delee
Usually when there is even a mention of Jack the Ripper in a book's description, I quickly add it to my "to read" list. This time I hesitated for bit because this was a modern copy cat Jack the Ripper. Part of the enjoyment I get from reading fiction novels based on "Jack's" murder spree is because of when the killings took place...

photo ff0450e2-c1a3-425c-a808-fc2324ac7c01_zps990856c5.jpg

London 1888-Horse drawn carriages clip clopping down dark cobbled streets, the man in the in the black cloak, and hat disappearing into the fog. Scotland Yard workin
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Mar 08, 2014 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ripperologists, thriller fans
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Delee
A psychological thriller, Lacey Flint’s a young inexperienced detective on the hunt for a Ripper copycat. Though set in modern day London there's tasty gothic undertones, nobody gives you the urge to check over your shoulder quite like Jack. ‘One of the phrases you’ll hear often about the Ripper,’ I said, after a couple of gulps, is “without a trace” because that’s how he worked. There were people sleeping yards from where Polly was killed and they didn’t hear a sound. Nobody saw a thing.”
She’
Carol
Jun 02, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: PatG & The Readers Book Based Banter
I'm becoming a big fan of S.J. Bolton. It's not that there's anything terribly new here but I like the way this woman thinks and puts a story together.

Interestingly, I read Dead Scared, the second Lacey Flint outing, first. What made me go back and read the first "Now You See Me" was the excellent interview and talk with the author on The Readers , July 2nd. Part of The Readers Summer Reading Club, the first segment was a talk with S.J. Bolton, intrigued me to go back and set the Lacey Flint ch
Chelsea Humphrey
Thank you Brenda for the wonderful recommendation of this book! I could have eaten this up in one day if this week hadn't been so busy.

This book is the first in the Lacey Flint series and it started (and ended) with a bang. Clearly I'm late to the party and most everyone has read this book already, but I'm happy to have joined in. Without giving too much away, this novel is based around the fact that a Jack the Ripper copy cat is on the loose and it is up to the MIT to stop him. As the book pro
Janebbooks
Apr 22, 2013 Janebbooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Last summer I briefly returned to my young girl passion of reading Modern Gothic thrillers. Here's my take on this mystery subgenre and my review of a British Gothic thriller writer's fourth book!)

My first reading passion was for the tales of mystery and suspense called Modern Gothic thrillers. From the time I was old enough to peruse the adult section of the public library in that small Southern town where I grew up, I hunted down the novels of Daphne Du Maurier, Anya Seton, Mary Stewart, and
Alex
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
I just keep adding to my favorites shelf this year. Another 5 Star read is S.J. Bolton's Now You See Me! Sharon Bolton knows how to keep a reader turning the pages! Her narration is fast paced and suspenseful, whilst giving this reader chills - a modern day Jack the Ripper! Her characters are fully fleshed out. And I loved Lacey Flint. I didn't see the last twist at the end of the novel. And it blew my mind away!

Briefly to summarize the plot. Lacey Flint is a young CID DC in London and is walkin
Hannah
Dec 17, 2011 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, 2011-reads
Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars

Two S.J. Bolton novels under my belt now, and I am hooked on this author's writing style (think of a much grittier, modern Mary Stewart).

Bolton has crafted an intense, atmospheric, and twist-laden tale of a young female Detective Constable with "issues", a modern day Jack-the Ripper copycat killer (oh, goody!) and all the page-turning, stomach-churing excitement you could find from the mystery/police procedural genre.

There's nothing clunky about Bolton's style. It
Tim "The Enchanter"
A Thrilling Psychological Crime Novel - 4 Stars

This is my first book by S.J. Bolton and you can colour me impressed. Her writing style and characterization reminded me of Tana French, another masterful psychological crime writer. Like French, Bolton's main character is a flawed individual with a mountain of baggage and secrets to hide. She is single-minded, intelligent and broken. While I would easily recommend this book, the plot, story and pacing leave something to be desired. Had the writ
Stefanie
Sep 02, 2015 Stefanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pifm-winner
Rating: 4 stars
I really enjoyed this book and I will definitely pick up the next one in the series. Sadly I think this could have been 5 stars but I just read it at the wrong time. Life kept pulling me away from my reading so it ended up being broken up and choppy and I didn't have a chance to emotionally connect with the plot or the characters but that's my problem.
Bolton does a great job weaving the historical true crime case of Jack the Ripper into the modern crime spree with detail and accu
La-Lionne
***4 solid stars***
Not bad, not bad at all. A little bit predictable, but overall it was a very enjoyable thriller.
Review to come..

BR with Alex a.k.a Little Rebel and Samantha. Let's solve this sucker!
description
Magdalena
I think my expectations for this book was way too high. I mean I liked the book, it was well-written, had interesting characters and the story was good with some nice twists. But I just never really got "into" the story, sure the Jack the Ripper copycat story was good and I liked that Lacey Flint had some really dark secrets that she really needed to keep away from the Met. I also liked Detective Inspector Dana Tulloch and Mark Joesbury. I especially liked the love-hate relationship between Lace ...more
Lisa
Jul 16, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-lit
What can i say this was one of the best reads this year for me story of Jack The Ripper very well written & researched Lacy Flint was the heroine & her character was tough as nails was graphic in parts but set the story up not for the faint hearted highly recomended
Cora Tea Party Princess
I don't think I've ever read a book quite like this. It is amazing.

As a fan of crime, mystery and thriller books, I'm always on the lookout for new series to get invested in. And wow, am I invested. This series has me in its grasp and isn't letting go.

From the first chapter (and wow, what a start!) I couldn't out this down. I was walking around with it held up in front of me, reading as much as I could during breaks, abandoning meals in favour of reading. I really could not put this down.

I loved
La Tonya  Jordan
Mar 19, 2015 La Tonya Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
Recommended to La Tonya by: A Good Thriller - A group from Goodreads
Shelves: good-read
There is a serial killer who is duplicating the killings of Jack the Ripper from the 19th century. The killer has the police baffled. But, the relationship between detectives Flint and Joesbury keeps this book interesting. The end is a shocker and worth reading to the end. The writing style was easy to follow. As a reader, I felt I was actually on the scene of the crimes and felt the frustration of the detectives in solving this case. The crimes do take place in the United Kingdom; therefore, yo ...more
Kelly
Feb 13, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
This was my first introduction to this author. Such a fantastic gripping thriller that kept me guessing right until the end. I loved this book and am looking forward to the next in the series!
Chris
Dec 12, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it when this happens. When you find a new author, read the first book, and you strike gold. You can see in your mind’s eye a series of books stretching out in front of you, promising great things, and like a blood-hound you happily rush down the trail.

LOVED this book. It had it all for me. Set in London. Strong historical element (the history of the Jack the Ripper murders). Great cast of believable characters. Grisly murders and exciting chases. Strong procedural backbone to the plot. Go
Samantha

WARNING: Do NOT click the spoiler links if you haven't read this. It will ruin EVERYTHING!

I'd like to preface this review by saying a big THANK YOU to Alex for discovering this little gem and then adopting me into a buddy-read with her and La-Lionne. It's a GREAT book to read with friends because of all the twists and shared theories, and I had a blast! :)

I'd give this 6 stars if I could, and I rarely say that about a book.

Now You See Me will take you on one wild ride. I loved every single min
Janet
Sep 16, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now You See Me is my first introduction to Sharon Bolton's works, and I'm impressed. This was one heck of a rollercoaster read. From the very beginning this drew me in. Well, when you start out with a throat slashing it kind of grabs you by the throat, as it were!! And doesn't really let go for the rest of the book.

Set in London, this book sees the introduction of a new copper in town, Lacey Flint, a flawed character (aren't they all?!!) but one with secrets, and, not glaringly obvious ones at t
Jonetta
The set up
The prologue opens with two young women clearly in trouble one evening. It was obvious something horrible happened to at least one of them but the scene then shifts to a point in the future. Detective Constable Lacey Flint is leaving the home of an assault victim when she finds a woman who has been stabbed next to Lacey's car. She's clearly seriously wounded and Lacey holds onto her as she waits helplessly for emergency medical assistance. Though Lacey isn't part of a homicide division
Shaun
This was good...so good that just today I borrowed several other books written by this author from the library.

A police procedural that involves a Jack the Ripper copy cat and a twist reminiscent of Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle(view spoiler), Bolton's novel Now I See You succeeds on many fronts.

The writing is solid. In addition, the protagonist is well done as is the romantic tension between Lacey and Mark. T
Pat
Feb 04, 2015 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The first book in the Lacey Flint series and I don't know what took me so long to pick this up. This is a fast paced, very readable book with characters that this reader wanted to know more about and figure out. Just who is Lacey Flint? becomes a major theme in the book and the answer will definitely please. Throw in a copycat Jack the Ripper case which somehow involves Lacey and the reader is off and running on an excellent ride. I know I will be reading more in this series. Highly recommend.
Suzy
Jan 29, 2016 Suzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suzy by: Tim the Enchanter
Shelves: london, crime-mystery
3 1/2 Stars

I had high expectations for the first book in the Lacey Flint series given the reviews. This Jack the Ripper copycat mystery was a bit of a slog to me for the first two-thirds of the book. This might have been because I got half-way through the book and then had to return it to the library. Because of moving to a new apartment, there was a gap of a few weeks between reading the first half and the second.

With that said, the murders, the main protagonist Lacey and the cast of character
Vicky (Books, Biscuits, and Tea)
Originally reviewed at: http://www.booksbiscuitsandtea.co.uk/...

What made me interested in Now You See Me is, as morbid as it may sound, a fascination with serial killers on both the main character’s and my part. Since I’ve always been fascinated by these people myself, I was curious to see how Bolton would incorporate the Ripper myth into her story and how it would work in a twenty-first century novel.

The book certainly has a compelling set-up. The original Jack the Ripper, a sadistic serial ki
Kathy
There are certain predictable aspects of S.J. Bolton's novels in which predictable is a positive. First, they are page turners. You will lose the ability to choose whether or not you can put the book down. The story consumes you and directs you to read until the end, with a hopeless search for more. The main character is a strong, independent woman with haunting baggage and intelligent foresight. There is an attractively shrewd man who features prominently in the story, one whom you are anxiousl ...more
Debra
Apr 16, 2011 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book! It was a crime-thriller, but so much more; and it wasn't formulaic. It's hard to tell the same story we've all read about police trying to track down a apparent serial killer, one that seems to by copycatting Jack the Ripper. We've read stories like that before, right. And there is almost always a predictable romance thrown in, for grins and some gratuitous sex. Well... you will be surprised by this one... I was!

Good job on a fun, page-turner!
Melissa
Jul 11, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow! What an amazing surprise!!
I wasn't really expecting much from this book. Jack the Ripper copycat, it's been done. Investigator series, it's been done... But WOW!!! LOVED IT!! Sucked me in straight away and I was up ALL NIGHT!!!!

It had pretty much everything I love about a novel all rolled into one. Great characters, interestingly dark - yet extremely enjoyable tone, well written, suspenseful, with a dash of romance... And a twist... Ohhhh a BLOODY AWESOME twist!!!

Lacey Flint is an investig
Hamlen Mark
I stumbled on this book when I was looking for the possibility that the recent movie of the same name was originally a book. I wish I had fallen on the other direction. This book is really not very good.

S. J. Bolton takes 391 pages to tell a story that should inspire mystery, intrigue and interest. But, our author was able to spend all those pages making the pursuit of a serial killer (possibly copying Jack the Ripper) in London one boring slog.

She uses some stock characters with stock issues
Marian
Aug 14, 2014 Marian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One night after interviewing a reluctant witness at a London apartment complex, Lacey Flint, a young detective constable, stumbles onto a woman brutally stabbed just moments before in the building’s darkened parking lot. Within twenty-four hours a reporter receives an anonymous letter that points out alarming similarities between the murder and Jack the Ripper’s first murder—a letter that calls out Lacey by name. If it’s real, and they have a killer bent on re-creating London’s bloody past, hist ...more
Sean Peters
Aug 03, 2013 Sean Peters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hi

My second book in a row from this author. This book takes place before Dead Scared so it is best to read this first. As the main character is in both books.

This author keeps the tension and keeps you guessing all the way, a great story very gripping and exciting right to the end.

This author is going to become a "star" with a gripping and strong thrilling books.

Starting third book now "Blood Harvest"

regards

Sean
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • The House at Sea's End (Ruth Galloway, #3)
  • Blacklands
  • The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street #1)
  • Hanging Hill
  • Little Black Lies
  • Someone Else's Skin (DI Marnie Rome, #1)
  • The Woodcutter
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Cold Killing (D.I. Sean Corrigan #1)
  • Crossbones Yard (Alice Quentin #1)
  • Talking to the Dead (Fiona Griffiths, #1)
Sharon J Bolton was born and brought up in Lancashire, the eldest of three daughters. As a child, she dreamed of becoming an actress and a dancer, studying ballet, tap and jazz from a young age and reading drama at Loughborough University.

She spent her early career in marketing and PR before returning to full-time education to study for a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) at Warwick Univers
More about Sharon Bolton...

Lacey Flint (4 books)
  • Dead Scared (Lacey Flint, #2)
  • Like This, For Ever (Lacey Flint, #3)
  • A Dark and Twisted Tide (Lacey Flint #4)