Start by marking “Brand Failures” as Want to Read:
Brand Failures

Brand Failures

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Brand Failures is the classic book by Matt Haig, updated to examine the world's top 100 spectacular brand disasters, from Enron and Pan Am to smokeless cigarettes and Bic underwear.
Published May 3rd 2011 by Kogan Page (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Brand Failures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brand Failures

Veeral
We love failures. Not ours, of course not! But we love it when a brand of some criminally rich corporation fails. Didn’t we use to make fun of Microsoft’s Windows NT? Remember Windows NT? The one we "lovingly" called “Neanderthal Technology”?

In the same spirit, Matt Haig has written Brand Failures – to entertain us at the expense of criminally rich corporations! Well, mostly.

The book was written in 2003 so it is almost a decade old, so you wouldn't get to read anything about recent corporate fai...more
Viktoras
Perskaitęs knygą jaučiuosi tarsi pasimokęs pasaulio verslo istorijos ir plius įgijęs vertingų rinkodaros žinių ir pavyzdžių, kaip nereikia daryti.

Nors knygoje ne visi 100 atvejų išanalizuoti vienodai giliai, ne visi ir atvejai įdomūs ar reikšmingi, bet ji vistiek verta dėmesio. Pačios nesėkmės suskirstytos pagal įvairias temas, kaip pvz. viešųjų ryšių klaidos, ženklo keitimo, perdarymo, naujų produktų išvedimo ir panašiai.

Šią knygą skaitant tiesiog yra būtina turėti šalia interneto prieigą, nes...more
Phil Fox
An interesting read... but there are two big issues with the work. 1. Hindsight is 20/20. 2. Some of these "mistakes" were simply ideas that failed due to unforeseeable circumstances and nothing more. I really don't feel like the company should be called out on those fronts.
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro Grandes errores de marcas, de Matt Haig.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: marketing y ventas, gestionar marcas y posicionamiento.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro Grandes errores de marcas, La verdad sobre los mayores errores de branding de todos los tiempos: Grandes errores de marcas
Stephen
What helps a brand succeed – or makes it fail? Brand Failures attempts to divine out the secrets to success by examining one hundred products or companies which have tanked. Some were new, others ancient, still others new ventures backed by established titans – but failure comes to all. Each of the book’s one hundred sections features a different American or British brand. The sections vary in length: New Coke, which starts the work off, features a history of Coca-Cola and Pepsi’s competition, s...more
Ana Mardoll
Brand Failures / 9780749444334

Who doesn't love reading about epic failures in marketing and product branding? A good "brand autopsy" can be both fun and educational, and can really help educate amateurs (like me) and marketing savvy experts alike on what pitfalls to avoid and how to properly package and market a new brand.

"Brand Failures" attempts to ambitiously tackle 101 famous branding mistakes and errors, from the classic "New Coke" to the failure of "Betamax" to Kodak's recent efforts to r...more
Loy Machedo
"Why did Coca-Colas New Coke fail?
Why is Kelloggs not a happening product in India?
What happened when Sony attached itself to the movie Godzilla�� (which I loved of course)?
Did Pepsi ever make a mighty mistake and then learn from it?

What about the bizzare launches of Virgin Cola?
Harley Davidsons Perfume?
Ponds Toothpaste?
Heinz cleaning Vinegar?
Chiquitas fruits?

With so many product extensions of Crest & Miller why did they actually fail?

Do you still remember Pam Am?
McDonalds?
Enron?
Plan...more
Loy Machedo
Why did Coca-Colas New Coke fail?
Why is Kelloggs not a happening product in India?
Did Pepsi ever make a mighty mistake and then learn from it?

What about the bizzare launches of Virgin Cola?
Harley Davidsons Perfume?
Ponds Toothpaste?
Heinz cleaning Vinegar?
Chiquitas fruits?

With so many product extensions of Crest & Miller why did they actually fail?

Do you still remember Pam Am?
McDonalds?
Enron?
Planet Hollyw...more
Nathan
It's kinda interesting to read about failures for a change: generally there's a massive survivor bias to the analysis of business strategy and tactics. Looking at who died on their way to the podium is also instructive, though I found I wearied of relentless failure after a while. Nonetheless, a few interesting factoids along the way:

Domino’s was the first company to offer home-delivered pizza and remains the leader in that particular market. Coca-Cola, the world’s top five most popular and fina
Joseph Harris

What do Coca-Cola, McDonald's, IBM, Microsoft, and Virgin have in common? They are all global giants, but what they are less recognized for are the branded products they've launched that have bombed -- spectacularly and at great cost.Brand Failures takes a look at how such disasters occur. In this updated edition of Matt Haig's book, we're given the inside story of 100 major brand blunders. Haig describes the brands that have launched with the help of multi-million dollar advertising campaigns o

Ruth Schofield
Matt Haig describes the different ways brands have failed, whether it is from bad ideas, over extention of the brand, PR failures, cultural failures, rebranding failures or just the brand becoming old and tired.

In the materialistic world we live in I find the concept of brands and why people believe that brand A is better than brand B interesting. As is why brands fail. Matt Haig's describes why 101 brands fail and although it is faninating these can become repetative and his section on the less...more
Ankur
A very interesting book.

A must read for those who wish to join an MBA course.
Chris Eagle
So so examples of failures. Post mortems are insipid.
Elise
This book provided a fascinating history of US culture in a way that I could relate to since almost all of the products were brand names that I recognized. Some examples were British, and those obviously didn't trigger memories for me. The only downside is the book had a lot of spelling errors and many English words with British origin that couldn't be found in my Kindle e-book dictionary.
Elliot Richards
It's out of date for sure, but still an entertaining and informative read.
Projection
Educative but full of boring and outdated analysis of brand failures which has nothing to do with present day advertisement and marketing world.
I Would recommend this book only for education purpose as it provides detail case studies of various International brands which are extinct or on verge of extinction.
Sonika
Some of the biggest brands - from Coke to British Royal Post - failed miserably due to various reasons. We often talk of how they rose, but this book gives us those important lessons of how the best of brands can die. It captures different brand stories very well with lessons drawn from each of those examples.
Janice
There is a lot of information in this book about why "brands" not products, fail, and I found it most interesting but.....probably not useful as a predictor of what "will" succeed, only an analysis of why these brands failed. It was a quick read and interesting and the author did his homework.
Anh Hong

Very interesting read, those failing examples always make me laugh. I will recommend it for educational purpose, though some of the brands name are from so long ago that I hardly know them, it would be better if there is another book on more-current failing brands.
Nhung Nguyen
This book is specially good for anyone who craves for real life brand management situations. It has some new points but basically reminds readers about basic knowledge of brand management.
Ferdi Anggriawan
The core message of this book is that you must not fall into the temptating lure of greed or in other words Line Extension. Simply awesome.
Lori Grant
An optional-read book on branding for the knowledge worker, manager, executive, or entrepreneur.
Amrita
Interesting to learn about brands and author's insights adds a touch of humor every now and then.
Anton
It is a fun read, but gets kinda repetitive in some chapters. Reading about FAIL is always fun.
Andrew (Ace)
Very readable, with the right amount of detail for a layman like me.
Ian
Read most of the book. Had to return it unfinished to the library.
Martin Linkov
Fenris recco
  • Why America Is Not a New Rome
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • Emotional Branding: The New Paradigm for Connecting Brands to People
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • Clark Howard's Living Large in Lean Times: 250+ Ways to Buy Smarter, Spend Smarter, and Save Money
  • The Art of the Steal: How to Protect Yourself and Your Business from Fraud, America's #1 Crime
  • The McKinsey Mind: Understanding and Implementing the Problem-Solving Tools and Management Techniques of the World's Top Secret Consulting
  • Brandwashed
  • Robert's Rules of Order
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Ecological Intelligence: How Knowing the Hidden Impacts of What We Buy Can Change Everything
  • The Penguin and the Leviathan: How Cooperation Triumphs over Self-Interest
  • Your Call Is Important to Us: The Truth About Bullshit
  • Perfumes: The Guide
  • Cashvertising: How to Use More than 100 Secrets of Ad-agency Psychology to Make Big Money Selling Anything to Anyone
  • How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything... in Business (and in Life)
Brand Royalty: How the World's Top 100 Brands Thrive & Survive Brand Success: How the World's Top 100 Brands Thrive and Survive The E-Marketing Handbook: An Indispensable Guide to Marketing Your Products and Services on the Internet Mobile Marketing: The Message Revolution E-PR: The Essential Guide Online Public Relations