Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  115,326 ratings  ·  14,241 reviews
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monst...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Smoke & Bone, please sign up.

Valentia Ann Queen make sure you have time because you need it for the first book in fantasy novels
Finale by Becca FitzpatrickCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickUndeadly by Michele VailSilence by Becca FitzpatrickHush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Best dark romance books
9th out of 92 books — 36 voters
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerFallen by Lauren KateHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickEvermore by Alyson Noel
Beautiful Covers Hiding Awful Books
100th out of 240 books — 642 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
Do you remember that Taylor Swift song about Romeo and Juliet, Love Story?

It's lyrics go something like this:

I'm a pretty little girl who knows nothing about literature
So I sing a song about starcrossed lovers
Whose only problem is that Daddy doesn't approve
But it's all good because we get married anyway.
Just like that cliffnote's story about Romeo and Juliet!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy!

Scott Pilgrim gif of girl shooting herself in the head

We have a tendency with YA literature today, to have stories with the super duper happiest of h...more
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Once upon a time, a fantasy book came unto the young adult world and set it aflame. Long-time fans of the author swooned. Mainstream publications wrote cryptic but positive impressions. And many readers declared that the book was leaps and bounds above all other young adult literature previously published.

It's always a little tricky reading a book that arrives with a crazy amount of hype, even one that's not accompanied by the lavish praise that has been heaped upon this one, as the pr...more
Cait
As a P.S. in order to understand this review better if you haven't read the Fallen series, please check out my thoughts on the other book that I will be discussing here.

This book is like some sort of weird alien. When I finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone I wasn't quite sure how to handle it.

What are you, Daughter of Smoke and Bone?

In the synopsis of Daughter of Smoke and Bone, it tells you that this is a story about how a "demon" falls in love with an "angel." So one would think that thi...more
Tatiana
As seen on The Readventurer

When I first heard the details of the premise of Laini Taylor's new book, for a moment I thought Laini must have read my review of Personal Demons. In that review I rant about how great story ideas are squandered away. You see, Personal Demons had a very interesting concept - a demon and an angel battling for the soul of a human girl. There are so many creative opportunities in the angel/demon lore, I thought surely the author would make something good out of it. I was...more
Haleema
Beware of spoilers!

This book is my secret. None of my non-GR friends will know of it. I am selfish and I don't care.

Holy fudge. And it's melting on my tongue. This book drove me crazy. I don't know if it is possible to be struck with so many emotions. She did it, though. Laini Taylor hit me with a hammer. She reached a hand down my throat, pulled out the emotions I didn't even know were there in the first place, and set them down in front of me to watch. "There they are," she said, ignoring my w...more
Jillian -always aspiring-
Note: Be warned that this is one of those reviews that in no way can do justice to the actual novel, but there's no harm in trying. Regardless, I greatly urge anyone who has even the slightest interest in this book to procure a copy when it's released on September 27, 2011.

Seven Perfect Reasons Why You Should Read Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor:

1. The writing is fantastic, dang it.

Now, I loved Laini Taylor's first young adult offering, Lips Touch: Three Times (You've read it, haven't...more
Catie
Not just five stars…one million stars, two sister moons, and two pairs of wings in flight. That’s how beautiful this book is. I hope this is a huge hit, and all the kids read it. Listen up kids, this book has everything that you’re looking for: secrets, paranormal creatures, hot guys, best friends; passionate, enduring, forbidden, love…and angst! But unlike all the rest, this one is the real thing.

It’s times like these that I wish I was a real, honest to goodness book fairy, with little wings, a...more
karen

this book is astonishingly good.

this is the book i should have been handed when i first expressed an interest in exploring the world of the fantasy novel. never mind that isn't not going to be published for three more months (thank you to the girl with BEA access for getting this for me), it should have happened somehow.

this is the most pure example of fantasy that i have seen so far.
and it is nearly perfect.

once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. it did not end well.

a fantastic...more
Meg ♥

Finally, a book that lives up to the hype. I haven't read a book that lives up to the hype this well, actually, since Hunger Games. That's a coincidence considering that Karou has quickly earned the number two spot on my list of all-time favorite heroines...Second only to Katniss Everdeen, of course. And no, I'm not comparing this to Hunger Games in any way, just sayin'.

This book came highly recommended to me from a number of people. Ever since it came out in September of 2011 I have heard nothi...more
Nataliya
A teeth-gathering blue-haired spunky young woman raised by a Wishmonger gets caught in the middle of the long war waged in the 'Elsewhere'. Pictographically:

Was this book perfect? Not nearly. But I still loved it, even despite the annoying 'classic' YA tropes that it was NOT immune to:

(1) insta-love (actually, it happens twice),
(2) the otherwordly, basically underpants-disintegrating beauty of the male love interest - who initially, of course,
(3) tries to murder our heroine.
Still, Daughter o...more
Emily May
Mar 30, 2012 Emily May rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, everyone

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone tells the age-old tale of forbidden love with a beautifully constructed mythological twist. Karou and Akiva are a Romeo and Juliet unlike any other and Laini Taylor has managed to encapture love, loneliness and desperation in a masterpiece of a novel that deserves to be read by anyone of any age who truly appreciates quality writing and story-telling.

Karou is a 17 year old art student living in...more
Steph Sinclair

You know that book you're reading right now? How about all those books on your "TBR" list? FORGET ABOUT 'EM!

I first stumbled across Laini Taylor when I was encouraged by several of my GoodReader friends to read Lips Touch. So, I read it and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't blown away. However, I think it was a "It's not you, it's me" situation because anthologies and I don't really get along. I went into this book thinking it was just another PNR, Angel style. I couldn't have been more wrong. If Ro...more
Dija

The ending!

There are already many, many in-depth and detailed reviews for Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and because no one wants to read a review where I gush on and on about how much I loved this or adored that, I'll avoid being boring and keep this short and simple.

I loved:
1. Karou
2. Akiva.
3. The writing.
4. The setting.
5. Karou.
6. The book title.
7. Zuzana.
8. Akiva and Karou's love.
9. Brimstone.

4. The pacing.
5. The ending.

I h...more
Kay
Ooh. OOOH! Meh... Mehhhhhhhhh...........

Which basically summarizes my reaction throughout the novel.

I hate it when things like this happen, when books start out so strong with an intriguing world and a growing character. But before you know it, it goes splat into a big mud puddle of Cliche and Predictability and WowThisRemindsMeOf100OtherYABooks.

The Ooh.

The book started out very, very strong. The premise was very interesting: Karou, an orphaned human girl adopted by demon magicians, is sent o...more
Patrick
Wow. Just Wow.

I got an ARC of this one about a month ago, and only just now got around to reading it. I really liked Laini's first Dreamdark book, so I was eager to try this one.

It was great. Really great. Read it all in a day.

Wow.
Lisa O.
Oct 06, 2011 Lisa O. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa O. by: the whole of GoodReads
Shelves: favorites, fantasy, ya-lit
Laini Taylor has really put me in my place this time.

I was very eager to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone, so much so that I ordered it as soon as it came out. To say that reviews for this book are gushing is a real understatement; they are, in fact, stellar.
Truth be told though, I was more than a bit biased. Lips Touch: Three Times, her short stories collection had collected the same kind of reviews. Not from me.
I'm not crazy about that book. I suspect it has a lot to do with the short story...more
Kristalia
Final rating: ★★★★★/★★★★★

Once upon a time,
an angel and a devil fell in love.
It did not end well.

This book was brilliant. It was majestic, beautiful, epic and strong ... Everything about it was perfect : the characters, the story and the ending... Never before had i read about something so powerful that it left such a strong impact on me , that i remember every single part and detail of it.

It's so strong, it's so beautiful, it's just...magical!

This book will make you weep, cry and...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
This is what happens when Urban Fantasy and Traditional Fantasy collide.

Results :

Epic.
Beautiful.
Tragic.
Captivating.

After finishing this book, I am in awe of this woman's writing skills. For as much as I love books from any fantasy sub-genre, I also have my own personal roadblocks. Very rarely, can an author use as much descriptiveness in a book without me wanting to tear my hair out. Often, writers show off their "words" just for the sake of trying to impress us. I never felt like this was the c...more
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
There's so much buzz generating around this one, that although I've always tried to ignore hype, after reading all these gushing reviews from bloggers I follow I had high expectations - I was, unfortunately, let down by the time I was halfway though. It started strong with a lot of potential. But it didn't take long before I already had most of it figured out and the last few twists that were there, didn't please me much. Take our MC, Karou. At first I was thrilled by this 17 year old artsy girl...more
Flannery
A girl grows up in the world, knowing not where she came from of who she actually is. Her memories amount to those she’s gathered whilst being raised by a group of monsters, one of whom served as a father figure to her. Now an art student in Prague, Karou runs errands for Brimstone, her father figure, and travels the world through portals to retrieve teeth from hunters and their ilk who collect them in every way imaginable. (for real) Karou doesn’t know what the teeth are actually used for thoug...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Actual rating: 3.5 ... but I'll round it up because I'm nice.

I guess I don't really ... get it.

I've seen this book all over the place for the past few months. It has so many raving reviews from reviewers that I really respect (and usually agree with). There are so many people talking about how it's so amazing and the best YA book of the year ... so on and so forth.

And. Well. I don't know, guys. I thought it was good, but to be honest I wasn't really crazy about it.

Maybe it's because I'm not real...more
Wigs
Okay so I'm going to try to talk about this as best I can here.

Here was my arc of emotion reading this:

At first I was like

Yes this book is going to be amazing

and then I was like

Oh it's almost entirely a romance...

and towards the last third I was like

This new substory is awesome, I love this

and then the last two pages I was like

gurl

Ha, so I did enjoy this. At first I was disappointed with all the focus on boy meets girl, but then I enjoyed it better when I fully figured out that this was a romanc...more
Giselle
Woooeey. If you need a vacation from reality, this is the book that will haul you inside its pages and make you live inside its story! Laini Taylor created a world like you've never imagined. Seriously, I would love to get a glimpse inside this woman's mind. How she came up with this stuff is beyond me. It's incredible. I loved it!

This is among one of the best written books I've read this year, if not ever. The creative aspect is beyond amazing. I was enthralled by every detail. The wonderful su...more
Sparrow
A wise woman, while brushing her hair demurely in front of a mirror, once mocked another wise woman saying, “Remember that time I wrote a book with a conceptual spoiler?” Well, Laini Taylor, I now picture you in that room with the other wise authors chatting each other up about your conceptual spoilers. Because, holy shit. How do you even talk about this book?

I’ve been marinating in it for a couple of days, while getting caught in apocalyptic electrical storms, losing luggage, stumbling around a...more
kristina
“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.”

Karou

Karou is a girl that runs errands to an inhuman creature , Brimstone , who is the closest thing she has to family.
She has blue hair and she is pretty much a badass girl .

Akiva

He is an angel but not so angelic. He is a warrior and fights the chimaera. He is good and an obedient soldier but when he lays his eyes on Karou he makes an exception for her.

“Once upon a time, an angel lay dying in the mist.

And a devil knelt o
Monisha
5 "Angels, Chimaera and a Girl in Prague" Stars
with bonus sphinxes, devils and serious magic!

“Once upon a time,
an angel and devil fell in love.
It did not end well.”

Memorable, succinct and hinting of tragedies to come, this has got to be one of my favorite opening lines for a story.

It’s a phrase that inevitably evokes fairy tales and leather-bound classics about epic adventures, setting up the anticipation that readers will discover worlds filled with magic.

And it may be a cliche, but it’s...more
Kira
So about two months ago I made a major life decision. It's probably the first absolutely 100% permanent thing I've ever done (don't you fucking judge me. I've a few months yet until I'm twenty.) Can you guess what it was? No, I didn't have a baby. No, I didn't get married. No, I didn't sign a contract with Mars One in hopes of spending the rest of my life with a bunch of people I'll probably hate in the middle of a red desert. A never-ending red desert. You could walk forever and not get away fr...more
Arlene
Sep 23, 2011 Arlene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Bookers - ARC Tour Crystal

Once upon a time an angel and a devil fell in love... It did not end well.

Rating Clarification: 10 Solid Stars

My FAVORITE book of 2011!

Whoa!! Absolutely amazing! Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor is nothing short of brilliant and spectacular. Does that tell you how much this book rocked my socks? Yeah, it sure did. Taylor has managed to hook me with her hauntingly beautiful YA Fantasy tale about angles, chimaeras, a long standing war, and a forbidden love between two creatures meant to...more
Basuhi
5 "Fables and Fondant" Stars.

"Out of Magic and Will. Smoke and Bone."

This book shatters that humdrum of mundane thoughts.

Takes you to a world which exists as the vagary of a child's dreams.

And illusions of the madman's reverie.

As enigmatic as an abstruse revelation.

And creeping in, is a sense of belonging like the bed-time fables.

Like the lovely sigh when you're mesmerized by some dulcet tones.

And that serenity when you know you've chosen the right book.

Have you ever gazed at the star...more
Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century)
I could write a novella about how much I loved this book. Instead, let me keep it simple.

The world Taylor creates is enthralling and the characters well developed, unique and relateable. There wasn't a single moment when I found myself thinking 'Ugh, I know where this is going'. There wasn't a single moment that I wanted to kill Karou or at least bash her over the head with a blunt object until she saw reason (unlike MOST PR/UF characters these days).

I loved the use of wishes, loved the non-tr...more
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • The Space Between
  • Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, #1)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • Shadows (The Rephaim, #1)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • The Archived (The Archived, #1)
  • Touch of Power (Healer, #1)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
  • Burn Bright (Night Creatures, #1)
  • Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1)
  • Chime
Hi there! I'm a writer of fantasy books for young people, but my books can be enjoyed by adults as well. My 'Dreamdark' books, Blackbringer (2007) and Silksinger (2009) are about faeries -- not dainty little flowery things, but warrior-faeries who battle devils. My first young adult book, Lips Touch, is a finalist for the 2009 National Book Award! It's creepy, sensual supernatural romance. . . abo...more
More about Laini Taylor...
Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) Lips Touch: Three Times Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5) Blackbringer (Dreamdark, #1)

“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.

It did not end well.”
1859 likes
“Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.” 1646 likes