Start by marking “Here Comes Jack Frost” as Want to Read:
Here Comes Jack Frost

Here Comes Jack Frost

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  357 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
One cold morning a lonely boy wishes for something to do. His animal friends are hibernating, and he has nobody to play with—even all the birds have flown south. When he meets Jack Frost, the last thing he expects is to make a new friend . . . or to discover how enchanting winter can be!
Published October 25th 2011 by Square Fish (first published September 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Here Comes Jack Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Comes Jack Frost

Kathryn
3.5 STARS

Here is the story of a little boy who meets Jack Frost. At first, Frost taunts him but the boy has his own skills to cope with all the wintery things Frost sends him and the two become friends; Frost will stay with the boy as long as the boy doesn't mention anything warm.

If found this an engaging, if not particularly memorable, story. I like that it is a winter story but not specifically tied to a holiday so it could be used by many families. I also liked the little boy's ingenuity--unl
Laurie
Dec 26, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jan 05, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young boy meets Jack Frost and they decide to play together in the winter woods. Jack tells the boy to never mention anything warm, otherwise he'll be forced to leave. The two enjoy the snow until the boy realizes that spring is coming. Though Jack disappears, he promises to be back next winter.

I love the blue and white illustrations in this simple book. A good, quick, and visually interesting winter themed book for preschool and kindergarten students.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Jack Frost visits in the Winter. He brings frost and fun. Many winter activities can be done only in Winter including sledding, ice skating, snowman building, and snowball fighting.

Here Comes Jack Frost by Kohara came after Here Comes Jack Frost by Peters. Both books are fun and frosty reads during Winter. This version's illustrations are wonderfully wintery with the colors blue, white, and silver. The silhouettes are created by linocut illustrations. This story goes beyond window painting to in
Collin
Oct 05, 2015 Collin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Jack Frost junkie and I needed my fix. Sometimes you just have to find what you need in board books.

Anyway, this was adorable! Maybe it's because there are NO Jack Frost stories outside of the stop-motion movie and William Joyce's stuff - nothing that's not a horror retelling? - and I'm in withdrawals all of my life, but I really enjoyed it. Precious animation and that bittersweet feeling that all the best Jack Frosts give you.

I just really fricking love Jack Frost, okay. I need this book.
Rebecca Needham
Dec 16, 2013 Rebecca Needham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This touching story sees a lonely boy and his dog form a firm friendship with the spiky sprite, Jack Frost. The author, Kazuno Kohara uses striking linocut illustrations, in tones of blue and white, to portray a crisp, cool winter wonderland for the unlikely friends to play in. Together, they embark on a series of wintry games – skating, sledging and snowballing to mention but a few. The little boy’s sudden discovery of a single, spring snowdrop breaks Jack’s magical spell upon the land. He disa ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Celebrate the first day of Winter by reading this delightful story about Jack Frost. What little kid wouldn't want to spend the winter playing with Jack Frost, skating on the ice, building snowmen and having snowball fights? That would have been a dream come true for my son. The little boy in this story really lucks out when he meets Jack Frost and is able to do all that with them. That is until Spring makes her first appearance. Once that happens, Jack Frost has to leave until next year.

I love
Teri
Dec 31, 2015 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book became an instant hit with my 5 yr old daughter. I carried it with me as we traveled and she kept asking to look at it. A boy meets Jack Frost and they play and have fun. The boy is not to mention anything warm. Great book for the winter. I kept singing, "Jack Frost nipping at your nose" and my girl was delighted to make that connection. The illustrations are very simple and blue and white which really scream cold weather. Snuggle up and read this one.
Hannah Burgess
Jun 26, 2013 Hannah Burgess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the story of a boy who has nobody to play with in the winter as all his animal friends are hibernating. As the snow begins to fall he meets Jack Frost and plays winter games with him until the spring comes and then jack frost goes away.

I used this book with children with SLD to introduce the concept of frost as many of them were unsure of what it was that was covering the playground and leaves. Many of the words in the book can be signed which made it accessible to those children
Hannah
Dec 31, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: head-start
I read this book as part of a Snow themed preschool story time. My kids were completely in awe of it. Never have they sat so quietly and exuded such interest in a story time book before! At the end they kept asking if Jack Frost would return and when and why did he leave and was he dead? It was adorable and lead us into a nice little discussion about seasons and weather.
Eva Kelly
May 05, 2015 Eva Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the way it works is, if you talk about ANYTHING WARM, like stuff about the spring, then Jack Frost goes away. I wish it worked the other way around. Like if it was hot in the middle of the summer and you said SNOWMAN! then it'd snow. But I guess he comes around when he's good and ready.
A good one!
Michelle
Cute two-color illustrations that made me cold just looking at them! Brrrrr! The icy blue and white contrast made the setting undeniably wintery.

Jack Escarcha (Jack Frost) is true to form in the beginning of this story. He's a pill! Once the boy and Jack come to an agreement not to mention heat, the two have lots of fun together.

Audience: 4 years-2nd grade
Use: winter; read aloud; predictions; seasons; science; hot vs cold
Katie Fitzgerald
This is a beautifully illustrated book, and the text is minimal enough that toddlers and babies can probably sit through it. (The ideal age is probably 3.) It kind of reminds me of Frosty the Snowman - the boy has a friend for the Winter, who will melt but then come back next year.

Read at WinterFest story time on 12/8/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read during rec. center visit on 12/19/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Drop-In Story Time on 1/11/13: http://storyt
Bree
i loved the illustrations mostly. The story was simple and cute. My Pre-K kids didn't get the end where Jack Frost says goodbye, "I'll see you next year." I just got a blank stare from them and then the "That's the end?"
Jennie Smith
Being trapped inside with no one to play for is no fun. But that doesn't keep Jack Frost from visiting! With simple illustrations and a fun story, this book is beautifully written and one you will surely enjoy!
Rani
#winter #friends #play #frost #Childrensbook. When Jack frost comes to play with a lonely boy, he talks of a taboo word. All winter long they played, until the boy finds something that makes Jack disappear.
Erin
Cute story introducing young ones to Jack Frost. A boy befriends him and plays games with him all winter long until spring is mentioned and Jack disappears.

Good for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Zatika
Apr 16, 2014 Zatika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-bcbkk
Another linocut gem from Kazuno Kohara! A heart-warming story about the friendship between a boy and a rather spiky Jack Frost.

Oops, did I say 'warm'? ;)
WroxallPoppy
Nov 24, 2015 WroxallPoppy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phee thought that the story was very wintery!
Tao thought it was a sad story.
Poppy thought the story was sad at the end because Jack Frost left.
Emmaus Public  Library
Blue, silver, and black prints show the fun a boy has with Jack Frost throughout the winter. A good choice for a winter story-time.
AJ
Dec 15, 2015 AJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un chico conoce a Jack Escarcha en el invierno. Ellos tiene much divertido pero la primavera está llegando.
Robin
Jul 06, 2014 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A boy plays with Jack Frost all winter. Illustrated effectively with simple cut paper on blue backgrounds.
Nate
Jan 11, 2015 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet, endearing tale of a spontaneous friendship. Little ones loved it, lovely story.
Kendra
Jan 02, 2016 Kendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I share this one every year and it is always a big hit!
Krista
3 stars for the story, 4 for the illustrations.
Garren
Apr 17, 2016 Garren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art is so perfect and crisp.
Joolissa
What an adorable book. I love the Jack Frost character and his wonderful, mischievous pointyness. The illustrations are marvelous in their simplicity. There's no shading, only line and solid white or black on blue, but they perfectly capture expression and playfulness. The story is fun and reminds one of snow days and winters filled with fluffy snow, sledding, and building snow men. A great read for winter's nights or in any other season in anticipation of seeing Jack Frost once more.
Rebecca
May 05, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschool and up
If you liked last year's Ghosts in the House, don't miss this new book from Kazuno Kohara! The block-print illustrations are just as superb, blue this time instead of orange. Each page is masterfully designed, and the story -- of Jack Frost showing a little boy the many ways to enjoy winter -- is appealing as well.
Samantha Penrose
I really liked both the story and the pictures in this one!
The story is about a boy who is bummed about it being wintertime. One cold day, he steps out and meets jack frost. They have worlds of fun until jack mentions something warm...spring. At the utterance of a warm word jack disappears. The boys is sure that he hears the words "see you next winter" on the wind as it blows away through the woods.
Kristen
This slight story has very cool illustrations (pun intended). The cool blues and whites, all the negative space - it makes winter inviting. The boy skates and sleds and makes snowmen with his new friend, Jack Frost, who disappears when spring comes. Nice winter story for the young ones, and the high-contrast, large illustrations make this nice for group storytimes.
  • Snow
  • Fall is Not Easy
  • No Two Alike
  • The First Day of Winter
  • Snow! Snow! Snow!
Kazuno Kohara grew up in Japan and moved to the U.K. as a student. She is the author of Here Comes Jack Frost and Ghosts in the House! She lives in London, England.

More about Kazuno Kohara...